How does this even happen?

90 Undead Rogue
So I got done raiding and saw I had mail from the auction house.. thought it was weird since this isn't my auction house toon (at all, ever). Checked it and apparently I bought some refreshing spring water for 50k gold on four toons.

I'm not sure how this could even happen. I have an authenticator, I didn't get disconnected so no one else logged into my account. It doesn't even make sense to me.

Anyways, of course I submitted a ticket (hopefully that actually does something and gets my items back) and then changed my password to something stronger (though I don't think that was the problem).

So, how does this even happen? Didn't get logged out so no one logged into my account plus an authenticator?! Here's to hoping GMs can help on this one. Lost a lot of gold there.. for me anyways.

Oh, and of course the person that sold that spring water to me was a level 1
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
You must have been really thirsty.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I guess so :(
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Paladin
It wasn't mailed to you COD by any chance?
Reply Quote
96 Human Death Knight
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue

Nope, I actually took a screenshot. It was definitely via Buyout. http://i.imgur.com/oI6XlBi.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
That's... what? I'm really sorry that happened, that is just horrible. I really hope your gold comes back too because that makes no sense. Who even buys vendor items from the auction house, ever? It's quite obviously a scam and I wonder if they can somehow screw with the AH now. It seems like they're getting more advanced.
Reply Quote
Hakhemda is a level one.

Hmm this means that this was the middle man character. This character might not be connected to the mains account. Whoever did this knew what he was doing was my guess.

The unknown here is how was the transaction made. If they didn't get on your character then I don't understand.

Hopefully Blizzard could get on your character and check Ip addresses to see what is going on. If someone logged onto your character that wasn't you they'd be able to tell.

Open a Ticket man.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Yeah, tickets made. I checked the toon and of course figured it was a middle man.

The only truly confusing part to me is that I was never bounced off of my account. I just got the in game email saying I won that item and gold was gone. This happened on three characters in the amount of time it took me to /logout and switch toons to do a heroic scenario with a friend. If your account gets logged into from somewhere else it logs you out, plus an authenticator (which I understand isn't perfect), so it's just *very* confusing.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Remote AH hack perhaps? That is really terrible. I hope the support team fixes that up for you asap.

I have the ap on my android phone. It only asks for the account email and pw. As far as I can tell it doesn't interact with the remote authenticator (also on the same phone)
Edited by Taíno on 6/22/2013 1:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah, tickets made. I checked the toon and of course figured it was a middle man.

The only truly confusing part to me is that I was never bounced off of my account. I just got the in game email saying I won that item and gold was gone. This happened on three characters in the amount of time it took me to /logout and switch toons to do a heroic scenario with a friend. If your account gets logged into from somewhere else it logs you out, plus an authenticator (which I understand isn't perfect), so it's just *very* confusing.

So you are saying they did this on three separate toons? In about a 10 second time interval while switching toons?

This only seems possible with the work of a bot. Some type of machine that timed it perfectly to log in and buy from that guy.

Also I noticed they cleaned the guy in the screen shot. They left you with silver. Meaning it was pretty accurate number. Did they set this up all before hand? Did the guy set up the price matching your gold limits (for your alts)?

Are the other characters similar? Did they clean nearly exact numbers on the AH?

EDIT: Or maybe from the AH Apps like stated above.
Edited by Zerkked on 6/22/2013 1:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
72 Worgen Druid
That's really horrible Amheh hopefully Blizzard helps you get your gold back. I've been thirsty before but not 50,000 gold thirsty! I have a feeling all will get resolved soon goodluck though!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Yeah, it's all pretty similar. All my toons with the exception of my jewelcrafter are cleaned out. Guess they didn't have time to get to him before I noticed what was happening and changed my password.
Reply Quote
Ok so if this was on the AH apps this is pretty bad news. And if the prices were predetermined to match your gold limit on your character this could be some new hack going around.

Though I don't have much gold I am worried for the people I know who have a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just looked at the wow armory app and it does show how much gold you have per character. It's a simple thing to switch between them on the phone app, and you can do it while logged into wow. Scary thought that hackers may be targeting the remote ap.
Reply Quote
I just looked at the wow armory app and it does show how much gold you have per character. It's a simple thing to switch between them on the phone app, and you can do it while logged into wow. Scary thought that hackers may be targeting the remote ap.

Yes it is.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
If it really is the mobile app, that's a serious breach of privacy/security. I wonder if more people are having this issue nad what Blizzard will do about it.

I do hope you get everything back, though. I cannot in my right mind understand why this would ever be anything but what you describe, unless you were selling gold, which I don't think is likely.
Reply Quote
If it really is the mobile app, that's a serious breach of privacy/security. I wonder if more people are having this issue nad what Blizzard will do about it.

I do hope you get everything back, though. I cannot in my right mind understand why this would ever be anything but what you describe, unless you were selling gold, which I don't think is likely.

You can only trust this is real. Why would he go through the trouble to make this post. Blizzard can easily tell if he sells gold or did this on purpose.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
I don't have the amount of gold I imagine a gold seller would have :P I don't even have *that* much. ~200k spread across a few toons, I didn't even imagine I'd be a prime target.

Oh well, here's to waiting for an answer in the morning. At least ticket times aren't days or weeks like they used to be, and are now usually 5 hours or so.
Reply Quote
I don't have the amount of gold I imagine a gold seller would have :P I don't even have *that* much. ~200k spread across a few toons, I didn't even imagine I'd be a prime target.

Oh well, here's to waiting for an answer in the morning. At least ticket times aren't days or weeks like they used to be, and are now usually 5 hours or so.

Good luck. If you don't mind update the thread if you can. I am curious to see what is going on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]