Touch of Karma Dispel-able?

90 Orc Warrior
Hi Monks!

When I'm trying to land a kill on a monk, and they pop Touch of Karma, what are some ways to deal with that?

Can some healers offensively purge it from the monk?

If I am the ToK target will removing the debuff from me drop his invulnerability?

I'm basically trying to understand the mechanic fully and what type of buff/debuff ToK is - and MAINLY wanting to know when a monk is a kill target and they pop ToK do I just have to switch to another target for 6s no matter what, or is there some way to remove the invulnerability and kill him despite the ToK?
Edited by Flushdraw on 6/22/2013 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
the only way I know how to counter it is another karma lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Healers are able to dispel it, yes.
When Touch of Karma is used, its applied as a non-damaging DoT on their target. Once the target begins damage, ToK becomes an actual damaging DoT.

However, the non-damaging DoT is also dispellable.
If you do not have a healer or DPS that can purge it off & the WW is about to die, your only option is to CC/stun chain him for 6 seconds so that he doesn't heal or fly away.
Edited by Hitmönlee on 6/22/2013 11:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
If my healer dispels the debuff off of me, does that simply prevent me from taking damage or does it also remove the invulnerability from the monk as well?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Monk is not invulnerable. Monk absorbs everything up to his health pool.
Stuns, CC all effect a monk. You could burst into ToK in order to shatter it, and have your healer heal it off you. But since the ToK dot is double checked by resil, it's better to save that dispel.
So far the only way to remove ToK from the monk is doing enough damage in 10s to pop it. Although, I wouldn't recommend it. Monks should never be the kill target anyway. Between Tok, Fort brew and HE/DM, all of our rolls grapples and roots, you should focus on the partner. In a 1v1 fight, monks will win vs you. Monks hard counter warriors.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
ya i guess he's not invulnerable he just gets a 400kish absorb right? it's based on his total health pool not his current health percentage?

im going to be hard pressed to deal over 400k damage in the 10s window so in that way it is effectively an invulnerability that is impossible to remove right?

edit: thanks for the advice i'll try to kill the monk's partner
Edited by Flushdraw on 6/22/2013 11:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
If my healer dispels the debuff off of me, does that simply prevent me from taking damage or does it also remove the invulnerability from the monk as well?

when we dispel ToK that removes its effect completely--meaning damage isn't absorbed and isn't reflected to you.

Also, it can be spell-reflected. Though good luck guessing when he will use it.
Edited by Hitmönlee on 6/22/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
When you dispel or mass dispel karma, it does NOT dispel the absorb effect, but rather the DoT. Only 100% invulnerabilities such as ice block and divine shield can remove it, though as it's a physical effect I suspect bleed removals could also do so, such as stoneform.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Mage
anyone know if the hunter tranquilizing shot can dispell touch of karma?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The only way to remove the absorb is to either damage through ToK (which is very tough in 2's but trivial in 3's, 5's, or RBG's) or to BoP/Ice Block the ToK target.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
ToK is a physical effect and is removed the same way as bleeds are

Ice Block
Bubble
BoP
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Rogue
My method is just kite the monk for 6 seconds, vanish, then stun and burst into him. Since, with a lot of monks, that is their go to move, and they depend on it heavily, once its done and you aren't near dead, they are generally pretty easy to handle.

I'm also going to have to give stone form a try, since it does remove spell effects and bleeds.

TOK is to op IMO and the dmg returned should be no more than 5%, the same as a priest bubble returns when glyphed or any dmg the monk does while TOK is active on a player, is reflected back to damage them. I'm not going to hold my breath though. Blizz has it's favorite classes, based on how many players are playing that class.

Money talks and apparently, that is the only language blizzard hears. How many $$$$ are coming in from the current "flavor of the day" classes. If there were suddenly a huge number of rogues being played, rogues would become totally unkillable.
Edited by Perforator on 8/6/2014 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/22/2013 11:57 AMPosted by Flushdraw
ya i guess he's not invulnerable he just gets a 400kish absorb right? it's based on his total health pool not his current health percentage?

im going to be hard pressed to deal over 400k damage in the 10s window so in that way it is effectively an invulnerability that is impossible to remove right?

edit: thanks for the advice i'll try to kill the monk's partner

Yeah, the best play is to kill the monk's partner... then don't make the mistakes that easily let me 1v2 a team. If I have all my cooldowns up, and you blew all your cooldowns to get my partner down, and you think the match is over and you're just gonna down me easily, you're going to have a bad time.

Unlike most classes, Monks work opposite - the longer the fight goes, the more dangerous we get, since our DPS cooldowns need to "warm up". By the time you get my partner down, I'll be approaching the most dangerous I'll ever be. If my partner drops first, you need to immediately play very defensively - it's the opposite of most 2v2 matches, and that confuses people.

If you can stabilize and reset the fight, peel me and force me to switch to the non-damaged partner, then you can outlast my DPS cooldown, CC me for my Touch of Karma, and then my !@# is grass.

If you just down my partner, then mindlessly zerg me, I'll finish killing our kill target with ease, reset the fight, and probably win the 1v1.
Edited by Kâin on 8/6/2014 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
08/06/2014 12:04 PMPosted by Perforator
Money talks and apparently, that is the only language blizzard hears. How many $$$$ are coming in from the current "flavor of the day" classes. If there were suddenly a huge number of rogues being played, rogues would become totally unkillable.

Ahahahaha apparently you are wrong, considering monks are the lowest played class.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
08/06/2014 12:04 PMPosted by Perforator

Except that it's the lowest played class and there are more rogues than monks.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
monk is fun but it is terrible
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
You can dispel the ToK dots.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I've heard someone say that shattering throw dispels karma. I've never tested this though...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]