Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
Whenever the adds got within 10 or so yards of me I'd reapply Piercing Howl and run to another corner or complete other side of the room, then Wrathion trains over. With it applied the adds never became faster than myself, so I never had to kill them. Don't forget your Intimidationg Shout and Death by the Sword cooldowns. Also yes, if you leave the first set up he does NOT summon additional adds, it's just the same adds that will resurrect about 30 seconds after each individual death.
Posted this in another thread, but it may help here:
Took me quite a few tries, but I got this accomplished as a fury warrior. My method may not work for everyone, but here's what I did:
Open with normal dps. When he spawns the adds, pop Die by the Sword, Avatar, and Bladestorm. This kills all the adds and does good dmg to Wrathion. Then I just went to town on Wrathion - all-out dps. 2nd pack of adds spawned. Waited for them all to get in range, hit Intimidating Shout on Wrathion - they all fled. Defeated him just before he spawned his first wave of mirror images, and just as the adds got back to me again after the fear.
I had tried kiting the adds with piercing howl, etc etc - the second add pack always killed me, or the 3rd set of mirror images AE'd me down. It's a dps challenge - go hard on the DPS. All the other methods require too many things to go perfectly (add control, placement of the fires on the ground, etc etc).
Posted this in another thread, but it may help here:
Tried that and got close, but I don't think at my item level I'm putting out the same damage as you are.
Trying to kite the first group isn't going to work for me. Avoiding the slimes takes me away from Wrathion. Plus, when I try to fear or slow them down with howl, I still have one or two left on me, and I've seen them remain ridiculously fast even after using howl - maybe one or two, but it causes enough problems to make that approach unworkable.
My gear is near maxed out for me, given my circumstances. I have a little room to grow, but not much. I just dunno.
I tried the DPS one lots of times and failed time and time again.
Went tank spec with all my DPS gear (510 ilvl) on+Taoshi+august celestial coin buff for being at Niuzao and 3 shot it.
Edited by Grokironhide on 7/4/2013 12:50 AM PDT
Still can't do this.
I managed for the first time to kill the second set of adds. For a moment I thought I was home-free. Then Xuen uttered his nonsense, "The elements will not die, make use of your time," and there was set 3.
So I still think and I guess that shows I'm not doing enough dps. I've seen him in the 20s, but never below 20 and into execute range.
Feels utterly hopeless. I just don't know what else to do.
I have not kept track of how many times I've tried. It would probably be laughable. Many times, over two weeks now. And this is supposed to be fun?
Edited by Altimax on 7/5/2013 11:34 PM PDT
Here's a video I found helpful, link below. I didn't do it exactly like this (I've outlined my method in above posts) and I couldn't quite put out that much damage, but it did help seeing another Fury warrior physically completing the melee challenge.
Hope this helps! I know you can get this, there'll be one magical attempt where everything will come together. Also remember you can run outside and reset if the attempt isn't going so well, it helped me quite a bit on the repair bills.
Edited by Heimdallr on 7/6/2013 12:07 AM PDT
Taking bits and pieces from all the posts here I managed to complete this today. The key for me was getting him down before the mirror image phase. If it got to the mirror image phase and the 2nd set of tears were up, i was toast. I am in a casual guild that hasn't raided in months so I'm in all LFR and valor gear. This is what I did:
I pre-potted but forgot to flask. Opened with a basic DPS rotation until his first crumbling arc when I was sure I would be behind him. I popped all of my cooldowns except for bladestorm and went all out. When the tears spawned I took them down with bladestorm making sure to stay behind Wrathion. I interrupted every Blood of the Deathborn cast and simply kept on top of him. When the adds respawned I had him in execute range. Popped another mogu power pot, used intimidating shout and managed to down him just as the adds were back on me.
Spec'd for second wind, piercing howl, bladestorm, bloodbath. Ended up not using piercing howl but was about to press it when Wrathion went down.
Our situations sound a a lot alike. Also in a casual guild, mostly lfr and valor gear.
Can you be more specific about how you managed to do enough damage to Wrathion to get him down before the first mirror phase? I just haven't been able to deal that much damage, even with flask and food buffs on me.
I just had an attempt where it seemed everything went "perfectly," yet when the second set of adds appeared, Wrathion was only at 56 percent.
On another, got him to 40 when the second set of adds started destroying me and I ran out.
... and another, best tonight, 27 percent, but he was on a second set of mirrors by then and I had the adds to worry about.
"The elements will not die, make use of your time" - sick of hearing that meaningless nonsense.
Edited by Altimax on 7/7/2013 7:34 PM PDT
I finally beat this after many attempts.
1. I normally spec into DR but switched to Bladestorm for the adds. I kept BB, for the shorter CD and speed reduction.
2. I used every single offensive and defensive CD available to me.
3. Used of Mogu of Power pot and Flask at the beginning, saving a second potion for either another Mogu or Healing potion, depending on what is needed. I also ate Black Pepper Ribs and Shrimp.
3. Started off DPSing normally (no big CDs). Saved BB/Banner/Bladestorm for the first wave of adds. That pretty much kills them.
4. Interrupted the Blood spell every time, making the Rude Interruption glyph very handy for extra DPS.
5. Saved Fear, DbTS, Demoralizing Banner and Rallying Cry for the second wave of adds, by which point I tried for a last burst DPS period.
I ended up with 1,346 health by the time I killed him, and doing 231,000 DPS.
Don't try to avoid the cone attack on the sides. The one thing I noticed is Wrathion doesn't stand square to the cone visualization, so I'm thinking the actual cone matches the way he's facing, not what is shown on the screen. Either run through him, or run toward the front of the cone to avoid it. Also, charge will stop the attack.
Edited by Polemistis on 7/9/2013 1:03 PM PDT
I did the tank challenge, and won.
It took me by surprise.
Just put on a one hand weapon and a shield. No other gear changes. Activated tank talents, put a few things on my tool bar, and after two or three tries, done.
Very happy to put it behind me.
I just got through this tonight - 517 ilvel.
I spent around 1000g for repairs trying this over the course of a week. In the end I think it came down to 1 part strategy, 1 part RNG and 1 part dumb luck.
I was consistently getting Wrathion down to around 50% then getting blown up by the mirror images. The time I finally managed to get him down I was kinda running around screaming and trying anything/everything to get them down and somehow it worked on this one occasion where it hadn't before.
Not sure what else to add to the above strategies, just hang in there and go for it! :)
I agree with most here, CD's dont reset fast enough and I havent gotten a single impending victory. 2 full repairs in total yellow. Pretty much screw this !@#$. I do not mind a challenge but this is stupid after all the RNG nonsense to even get to this point.
1 Human Warrior
Well, managed to get thru it. Thanks to the many comments on this thread. For me, my last attempt was very easy.... I was quite surprised (probably nice RNG).
Anyway, here are some tips that I found to help a lot:
1. I put on 2nd wind instead of Impending Victory although I don't think it kicked in on my successful run because I had about 70 percent health at the end.
2. I switched to Bladestorm instead of Dragon Roar.
3. For CDs I have bloodbath (and recklessness).
4. I created a macro for AOE DPS burst:
/cast die by the sword
/cast skull banner
/cast potion of mogu power
5. Get behind him as quickly as possible on the arc to maximize dmg (this is critical).
6. I had Winter's bite flask on, the 300str food and the celestial offering
So for me, the fight went kind of like this:
1. Start off with normal, non-CD dps.
2. Make sure to interrupt the interruptable spell and dodge the reign of fire.
3. When the adds spawn, I immediately hit that macro (making sure to get behind him when he does the arc). This wiped the adds out very quickly and I took virtually no dmg.
4. Keep doing the arc/reign-dodge/interrupt.
5. For me, this seemed to be critical part (which no one really mentioned previously): Work him AWAY from the middle.
6. Now, when the 2nd wave of adds spawn, I cast intimidating shout to fear them.
7. This was about the time he started walking to the middle. Now for me, this time he was walking really slowly from the outside of the arena to the middle. That entire time, execute came up and I basically wasted him super quick on his slow walk back to the middle.
Soooo, I might be wrong, but I believe piercing howl slowed him as well! So I had a long time to whack on his back while he slowly walked to the middle of the arena. Perhaps hamstring would work on him as well?
Anyway, I don't recall that happening in the previous attempts, but if I didn't have time to attack him on that slow walk back, it would have been a lot harder.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.