What is the point of mana?

90 Human Paladin
Honestly, even being a holy paladin I don't get it.

Why have mana when all the classes using mana can continue to perform below 20% mana for the duration of a fight. Yes im mainly talking about PvP. Any healer, you can make them go OOM sure, but there is always some ability to gain it back.

Why have it?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
06/20/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Crotchy
Yes im mainly talking about PvP.

There's your problem. PvP doesn't have the same sustain issues that PvE does.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

Why have mana when all the classes using mana can continue to perform below 20% mana for the duration of a fight. Yes im mainly talking about PvP. Any healer, you can make them go OOM sure, but there is always some ability to gain it back.

Why have it?

Because PvP is not the whole of the game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Why have it?

Because PvP is not the whole of the game.

Lies.

It is all that matters :o!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

Why have it?

Why have spells when you can Holy Lock, CC, Stun, Fear, etc. It's just another mechanic. It's important in one aspect of the game, less so in another.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Mana is something that healers use in pve - just like healers heal in pve instead of being CCed from 100% to dead.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It throttles healers, in PVP and PVE. If you don't manage it correctly, or your raid/teammates take too much damage, you will run out. If you do manage it correctly, you'll have enough to keep up in-between big mana restoration cooldowns, and you'll always have it.

The point of mana is to force healers to manage their resources, and choose spells besides their highest throughput spells all the time.

In PVP, it creates strats that focus on running your opponent's healer OOM, like target switching against certain healers, or dotting up the entire enemy team. It also puts a time limit on matches where one side is forced on the defensive (theoretically, assuming the offensive team can put enough pressure on the defensive team to overwhelm the healer's mana).

Now, whether it is working as intended is another topic, entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I... just... what? It's a resource to maintain, but that's obvious.

I assume in pvp the OP is talking about some healers who can be OOM and still cast away like it's nothing. This confuses me too. Or the ones who are running on fumes but still aren't dying. I've never played a monk so I'm not sure how their mechanics work, but priests can have the short end of the mana regen stick because mindbender or shadow fiend can be easily CC'd and you're screwed, solace is instant but you may not have a gcd for it, or you FDCL and get savings with free flash heals that may or may not be proc'd when you need it.

Oh and channeled Hymn of hope that can be interrupted easily.

I don't remember really going oom in any recent PVP, other than maybe in Kotmogu when I'm not dying but I still like having to be mindful of it.
Reply Quote
Mana does matter in pvp.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]