Tanking as brew/TOT 10 man

90 Pandaren Monk
So I've recently started tanking as a brewmaster monk for my 10 man team. My gear is 496 equipped and I'm using a heavy haste build, and working towards crit. I am not the main tank so I do not start the fights which allows me the time to build up my shuffle stacks to a higher number, fight dependent of course. I can't but help feel as though I'm making some major mistakes on single target boss fights, Durumu being the most difficult. I seem to always have a very high amount of stagger no matter how often I dump it. When I taunt off the other tank once he reaches his 5 stacks I paw into a guard, taunt, fort brew, and work into my rotation. I can't but help notice every time I turn around I am taking sooooooo much stagger damage that I'm always red on my stagger meter.

Here are my logs from the previous fights and the link to my durumu attempts before we switch to 1 tank and I went to dps. Any and all advice is welcome.

Durumu Attempts
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/kb0fgcqx4qb7ww67/dashboard/

First six bosse
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/63wi062nz5322lek/analyze/dd/source/

If you need any further input please ask and I'll provide as much detail as I can.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Most BrM really prefer a Crit build over haste. More crit means more Elusive brew stacks, and more GotO orbs. Honestly, I prefer going with a mastery build to just have that extra stagger, but mastery is more of a 25H thing than a 10 man.

If you're guarding right off the bat, you won't really have the vengeance to make a strong Guard, so you won't see very impressive absorbs with that. If you find that you have an easy time with having an overflow of shuffle, and still having energy for Purifying brews, I would reforge out of haste and into crit. There's no real sense ending a fight with an extra minute of shuffle. (Not saying you are, because I have no idea how to read logs, but the concept is there.)

Edit-
It will become easier with the more gear you get as well.

And with more crit, and more Elusive Brew stacks, not only will you get more use out of T15 2 pc bonus, you'll take a lot less melee hits as well.
Edited by Elv on 6/20/2013 11:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Monk
I only starting building crit after 8.5-9k haste. Honestly I could get by with much less but I start to feel energy starved under 6k.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
A few suggestions that may help. Get Haste to around 6-7k ish give or take then go for crit. (I say that much haste because you don't have the new tier yet, in which case you can get away with like 4.5k + or - a bit)

Like mentioned by Elv don't guard until you have a decent amount of vengeance. For you maybe 50-60k plus. Also remember guard+ heals = good. Hmm what else.

For durumu specifically use Dampen harm at 2 or 3 stacks. If dampen harm is gone before the 5th you've always got fort brew. Remember your chi ball heals. Don't purify too often, remember its a dot and unless its red its not a huge threat right away.

Use Fortifying brew glyph most of the time. The others vary a lot but for most fights I just use zen med on the go and glyph of enduring healing sphere.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Evl After you suggested getting more crit I made some adjustments and like them thus far. . . . as for how its gonna work on durumu. . . . I'll have to find out next week. I also do realize i'm a bit under geared and changed a stam trinket out so I lost a lot but I made up for it with my professions by putting inscription enchant for 750 stam on my shoulders and 240 stam on both my rings. :S its not the greatest solution but I'm not really comfortable with such a small health pool or being below 500k :(
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Evl After you suggested getting more crit I made some adjustments and like them thus far. . . . as for how its gonna work on durumu. . . . I'll have to find out next week. I also do realize i'm a bit under geared and changed a stam trinket out so I lost a lot but I made up for it with my professions by putting inscription enchant for 750 stam on my shoulders and 240 stam on both my rings. :S its not the greatest solution but I'm not really comfortable with such a small health pool or being below 500k :(

Don't go for crit yet. Not until like 6k haste in that tier.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Kennjin I'm at 5.5k
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
http://www.filedropper.com/brewmasterspreadsheetcopy_4 Just use this

6k may not be optimal. But thats a better way to check. I just remember being like 6k+ in that gear if I remember correctly.
Edited by Kennjin on 6/21/2013 1:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Also as more of a general advice thing. Remember your healer cooldowns are your cooldowns. Don't have something to mitigate that next spike damage hit with? Call for Pain supp, ironbark or w.e. Its a team effort.
Edited by Kennjin on 6/21/2013 1:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Based on experience, the second tank has it harder when tanking Durumu. Be prepared to rotate cooldowns on 3 stacks onwards(even your 3min ones).
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I only starting building crit after 8.5-9k haste. Honestly I could get by with much less but I start to feel energy starved under 6k.

You have the 4P what are you doing with all that extra Chi? Purifying green level stagger? Sitting at 4 minutes of shuffle at the end of the fight?

Doing 25m HC I rarely need to purify outside of the 4P proc's. Running with 4500 haste.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Do my logs look legit? Am I missing anything outside of a cd I forgot to use?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Ok looking at your logs at a rudimentary glance you need to keep shuffle up much higher on your durumu fight. I'll look at a few more of your individual attempts at durumu.

edit: Yeah it looks like on avg your shuffle is up about 90% of the time, this should be much closer to 100%. Thats the first thing that stands out.
Edited by Kennjin on 6/22/2013 3:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Also looks like you're running 2 priest healers, albeit one is holy. Not optimal if you can help it xD

Edit: Also your pally tank friend could give you SS when he's not tanking and u could ask for HoS from him too.
Edited by Kennjin on 6/22/2013 3:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
91 Human Monk
Also looks like you're running 2 priest healers, albeit one is holy. Not optimal if you can help it xD

Edit: Also your pally tank friend could give you SS when he's not tanking and u could ask for HoS from him too.

pally tank can solo tank durumu, and almost everything else.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
You're gonna have high stagger on Durumu, it's just the way the fight is. Each Hard Stare will put you in the moderate/red level and he does hit like a truck regardless. What I ended up doing was just focusing on getting a high shuffle going before I taunted, I could get up to around 42-48 seconds. Then I'd just focus on Purifying everytime my stagger hit 300k+ with the occasional BoK to keep shuffle up (but I wasn't as focused since I started with it so high). Ended the fight with less than 10 seconds left on shuffle but way less damage taken than our paladin tank.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Given that you stated you are using two of your Hard Stare cooldowns just when you pull the boss, you probably are staying at heavy stagger because you have nothing else to mitigate the boss special attacks. That is more of a learning how to tank problem rather than a specific Brewmaster problem. I would suggest reading up on different encounters, and learning when you need to use your cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Durumu hits hard so you will need have a high amount of damage staggered. You're ilvl is fairly low for that point in ToT not that it makes it unachievable but you and the heals will have to work that much harder.

Also crit does not increase ox gift orb production rate. For Durumu use elusive brew when you taunt, dampen harm just before first hard stare, guard the second hard stare, and fort brew after the third hard stare and that should roughly last until the other tank takes over.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk

pally tank can solo tank durumu, and almost everything else.

Very True.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Monk
06/21/2013 01:40 AMPosted by Irøh
Based on experience, the second tank has it harder when tanking Durumu.

We do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]