How do I compete with a disc 10m?

90 Worgen Druid
In the first 3 phases, wouldn't you be dropping spears in melee, or when did you fistweave?

No, blizzard decided that monk healers count as melee so they can not be targeted by abilities that target only ranged and healers.

Examples of this are spear on iron qon, the lightning ball on jin'rohk, biting cold/frost bite on counsil, caw on ji-kun, and shooting stars on twin consorts.

This can occasionally be annoying for other healers and range in the group for things like jin'rohk's lightning ball when it increases the RNG of you getting them. on some occasionas it's useful for a monk to safely be able to stack in melee without causing issues (iron qon)

But do you have any idea how much spirit/mana regen we need to do that? LOL. PW:S is VERY costly

Usually disc can afford to be rather frivolous with it's mana expenditure cause of how difficult it can be to go oom as disc. I've seen the disc in my raid go oom cause they were doing 140k HPS for an extended period of time but it's impressive that they even lasted as long as they did.
Edited by Stratas on 6/25/2013 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
HC
It's already known that absorb healers can make a raw throughput healer such as an rdruid feel meaningless. That is... If you're doing easy/farm content.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
06/25/2013 12:36 AMPosted by Veroicone
Thisss! Looked through some of your logs and in some of them it just seemed like the priest was healing just to meter pad.

Isn't this the best thing to do? Why should he let unnecessary damage through if he can absorb it? To throw Frozen a bone?
[/quote]

Healing to pad the meters is different :P Spamming flash heal just because you can is not productive use of your healing cds. There's a difference in using absorbs to prevent damage and spamming your biggest heal to make your epeen bigger.
Edited by Veroicone on 6/25/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
PW:S is VERY costly

Usually disc can afford to be rather frivolous with it's mana expenditure cause of how difficult it can be to go oom as disc. I've seen the disc in my raid go oom cause they were doing 140k HPS for an extended period of time but it's impressive that they even lasted as long as they did.

<My Disc Priest. I have ran myself OOM with PW:S spam lol. I use mindbender on CD and when I get low on mana I swap to smite spamming until I get my mana back. My logs are on Galakrond under Team Elite. I heal w/ a MW monk and usually a Hpally. xD
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Just a few things to note from this thread.

1.) All classes and specs have their niche's, the Discipline Priest is definitely no exception to that. You're a resto druid. What is your niche? HoT's. Ours is absorbs.

Which is stronger? It doesn't matter, they each bring something very important to the raid.

Resto Druid - brings healing over time which are just as much needed in high-aoe situations as absorbs are. You help stabilize the raid.

Discipline Priest - brings absorbs to prevent and negate strong damage before the matter, requires thinking about what is going to happen in order to properly utilize the playstyle (that is unless you have 1 button bound to your bar and its smite.) They prevent it but aren't *usually* able to have stupidly strong burst healing to top off the raid, yes atonement, and prayer of healing, mending etc. but nothing like a revival.

So in the end, we each bring something important.

2.) Healing meters only matter to an extent. Yes it's very obvious you are bad if it's a fight like heroic Megaera and you are a resto shaman pulling 42k, or a disc priest pulling 42k for that matter @_@. But you shouldn't really want to necessarily 'beat' your other healers on the meter, as long as you both do your job nobody will say anything.

_______\___________________________\____________________
/ /

All in all the point is basically that it doesn't matter if people aren't dying to healing. You chose the class you play. It's your decision.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Are you seriously going to compare a spell that you must place and people must be practically stacked to use efficiently?

Riddle me this, under what conditions is Spirit Shell a sub-par cool-down?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
06/25/2013 01:21 PMPosted by Stratas
In the first 3 phases, wouldn't you be dropping spears in melee, or when did you fistweave?

No, blizzard decided that monk healers count as melee so they can not be targeted by abilities that target only ranged and healers.

Examples of this are spear on iron qon, the lightning ball on jin'rohk, biting cold/frost bite on counsil, caw on ji-kun, and shooting stars on twin consorts.

This can occasionally be annoying for other healers and range in the group for things like jin'rohk's lightning ball when it increases the RNG of you getting them. on some occasionas it's useful for a monk to safely be able to stack in melee without causing issues (iron qon)

This is only true if:

1) the monk is in melee range of the boss;

and

2) there are "enough" ranged/healers that are eligible to be targeted

If either of those is untrue then a mistweaver can be targeted by the ranged only abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
06/25/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Linnelle

This is only true if:

and

If either of those is untrue then a mistweaver can be targeted by the ranged only abilities.

Does this actually matter? I didn't believe it even tracked such things.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
06/25/2013 03:38 PMPosted by Volios
Are you seriously going to compare a spell that you must place and people must be practically stacked to use efficiently?

Unpredictable burst damage.

Consistent damage.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

This is only true if:

and

Does this actually matter? I didn't believe it even tracked such things.

It does, yes. For fights like Iron Qon, where often strats, especially those of progression, require more than two groups, if your raid is too melee heavy, spear will get dropped on them. This also applies to Lei Shen's Thunderstruck, Megeara's beam thing, or hell, even Jin's Focused Lightning.
Edited by Fistlobster on 6/25/2013 6:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
From what I gathering here is that the Disc priest should "throttle themselves" in order to let another healer do some healing. What the heck? That just sounds so messed up! I don't think a healer wants to be a "charity case". If another class is going balls to wall to keep up and the disc priest is going /yawn and starts throwing out PW:S to out perform the druid something isn't right.

Of course the other excuse "err well the priest shouldn't snipe!" Well guys and gals this may be a surprise but if they have the ability to snipe .... they probably will? Tell me that you guys don't run meters or look at logs AT ALL. Of course a Disc is gonna snipe because they can. Why wouldn't they? They look at the same meters. How many are gonna go "well fudge, my poor co healer is 20% behind me, I'd better slow down or they are gonna feel bad!" It's more like "holy cow! I broke 100k HPS let's see if I can break 120k!"

I don't heal with a disc priest, I heal with a great Resto Sham, do you think I slow down when I'm ahead? Nope! I slow down when my mana bar calls for it. I perform to my fullest potential every time. Fortunately for me there's plenty of healing to do in our raid group lol!
Edited by Celestelle on 6/25/2013 6:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
06/25/2013 06:21 PMPosted by Isiildur

Unpredictable burst damage.

Consistent damage.

Unpredictable damage yes. Consistent damage not so much, it's just not as utility friendly there. I was more thinking about movement heavy circumstances, or anytime getting PoH on 4+ targets is unreliable. You can see this on quite a few Animus logs.

06/25/2013 06:40 PMPosted by Celestelle
From what I gathering here is that the Disc priest should "throttle themselves" in order to let another healer do some healing. What the heck?

Disc shouldn't throttle their output down when it's needed. But if all you're doing is causing your co-healers to over-heal, and contributing nothing advantageous by healing, you're better off pew pewing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Tonight on magaera.......

Disc priest did 123k HPS / I did 118k HPS. He got ranked with 102%, I was CLOSE to being ranked - I had 96%...

If only he healed a little less, then I could of got ranked :(

Seriously though, Druids & Disc Priests are pretty close right now xD
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
06/24/2013 02:59 PMPosted by Jujubiju
You could start by not viewing it as a competition. =\

^ this. Stop staring at meters. Healing isn't about winning meters.

A good healer knows how to work well with their other healers- even if they aren't "winning".

I would agree that Disc Priests are one of the strongest healers going around.

But I would have to say that in an emergency I rely more on my counterpart Mistweaver to back me up.

If my counterpart was not there for me in every raid and we had someone else we would probably fail more times than not.

Like this guy above me said, it's about working together, not winning. I would rather have a great healer who can work well with me than kick everyones !@#$ in the meters.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
So what it sounds like I am hearing and I have been saying this for years.

Bosses need to do more damage.

Then everyone can rank.

But in reality, like h tortos, when it comes down to the overhealing bar equaling the healing bar.

MW's will always win. Still lol at people complaining about discs, obviously haven't raided with a good monk.

O and in reference to fisting during h Qon. It is so helpful.
For instance when all the dogs come out. Spinning crane kick and hitting esc right at end of GCD twice and black out kicking heals for about 200k hps burst which is needed there. Also do about 200k dps which is huge to get dogs down fast.

Also right after dogs die and before the Qon damage becomes to mug dps.

Also right after the sticking to 3 debuffs phase and before the second wind pull u dps to prevent second wind pull.

The utility monks bring is amazing. Purely because our dps matters.
Edited by Fistsoganja on 6/26/2013 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest

I lol'd.

Let me guess, your class is super hard to play but disc is ez pezzy right? Lol what a joke
Reply Quote
40 Blood Elf Priest
Sadly I ran into this in my own 10 man. We have a disc healer that is new to the guild and raiding with us. After downing Horridon he exclaimed basically how he was a better healer than the other healers in raid.....after speaking with him explaining his comments were not needed, he still did not get it but kept repeating how he was still better.

I'd like to not think of healing as a competition, but some players turn it into one anyway.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
If its a farm fight, disc priests will always "win" the HPS meters. It's just the nature of absorb healers.

Also, as others have said, it's not a competition. Healing is a teamwork thing.

Now, if your healing partner is constantly bragging about his meters, well, yes that's annoying. I've had some co-healers like that before, and it generally changes my healing style from "keep the raid alive" to "snipe all your heals so your epeen shrinks"

>.>

Personal pet peeve
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The only healer that was hard to play was 5.1 monks.

ONLY because of how easy it was to go oom if you screwed up
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Sadly I ran into this in my own 10 man. We have a disc healer that is new to the guild and raiding with us. After downing Horridon he exclaimed basically how he was a better healer than the other healers in raid.....after speaking with him explaining his comments were not needed, he still did not get it but kept repeating how he was still better.

I'd like to not think of healing as a competition, but some players turn it into one anyway.

Not entirely a numbers thing. In high progression guilds they often don't let you decide what bosses you actually get to come in on in your 14+ roster. THIS is the competition. You can't make much of a case for yourself when you already know that disc/pally is preferable for most fights and that the third healer to put into the mix should be the shaman over you as a druid. This just leads to being sat for almost every progression kill and going days without doing any thing at all as they lock out for a kill or just take a long time to kill a boss.

Disc is so good in 10m that they get to participate in EVERY boss fight unless they simply step out cause they no longer need gear. As a druid most the fights you get in on are farm fights that another healer doesn't need gear from and if leather drops then it's happy days if they aren't running a boomkin, cause it would just be d/e'd.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]