5.4 release date?

90 Night Elf Druid
since they haven't even announced the new arena season yet, i'm guessing 5.4 won't be released for 3 weeks. july 16 is my guess
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I would not expect it anywhere near that soon.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
6 Months after 5.2, witch came out on may 5, so you can expect 5.4 to early-mid august.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm guessing August or September. They JUST started putting up stuff on the PTR...3 weeks isn't even in the ballpark.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
As normal, just watch the PTR raid testing. They have to finish that first and they just started.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
6 Months after 5.2, witch came out on may 5, so you can expect 5.4 to early-mid august.

first off 5.2 came out march 5th... 2nd 6 months from may would be november not august and even 6 months from march(the actual release) would be september not august
Reply Quote
65 Pandaren Warrior
I'm thinking anywhere from July 20 - September at least.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
i say sometime in august if not september.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Rogue
If they are aiming for august they need to pick up the pace on raid testing, they haven't even announced the raid testing for the last few bosses on 10 normal. Let alone heroics and 25 normal.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I'm predicting this year.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Anywhere before September and it's been entirely rushed. It seems like they have far too much to do still.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I hope it's a long ways away. I want to be able to finish heroic ToT before 5.4 is released. The only thing that I don't like about pushing tiered PvE content fast is that most guilds don't get a chance to finish the heroic mode content.
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
they wont rush. mind you, it's the last raid tier, and there is probably at least a year to go till the new xpac.

the sooner it comes out, the faster people get bored and unsub till 6.0.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Probably around Autumn.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, BlizzCon is November 9th. The Tuesday after it is November 12th.

Every BlizzCon has had a major announcement of some kind at it. This one is likely to have the new expansion announcement because we are on the last tier of this expansion with 5.4. By releasing it the Tuesday after BlizzCon you have about a 6 month period of time in the raiders will work on the tier before they start become scattered.

At that point, April/May time-frame you can then open up Beta for the next expansion. This would give another 4-5 months of testing for an August/September release of the next expansion. July 17th, 2014 would be 660 days after the release of Mists. This is about the same length of time as all the previous expansions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

Every BlizzCon has had a major announcement of some kind at it. This one is likely to have the new expansion announcement because we are on the last tier of this expansion with 5.4. By releasing it the Tuesday after BlizzCon you have about a 6 month period of time in the raiders will work on the tier before they start become scattered.

At that point, April/May time-frame you can then open up Beta for the next expansion. This would give another 4-5 months of testing for an August/September release of the next expansion. July 17th, 2014 would be 660 days after the release of Mists. This is about the same length of time as all the previous expansions.

It's good theorycrafting. It was suppose to be quicker releases on expansions, like they are doing with content. I would assume the expansion is well underway for awhile now and that there is still also the possibility of 5.5 as a patch, which is not been confirmed or denied, only said as not sure.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, we really don't have much time left if we are looking at a shorter time frame then previous expansion. 660 is pretty much spot on for length of expansion. I would assume the team that isn't working on 5.4 is working on the new expansion at this point. They basically have two separate teams now for patches. So, the one that did 5.3 isn't the same as 5.4.

This means that when 5.3 was done that group started working on 6.0 or 5.9 ( pre-release event). This would allow the team that is finishing up 5.4 to jump in afterwords and work hard on the tasks for 6.0.

If we guess that the new expansion would be end of July. That is 9 months from BlizzCon. It should take the first 4-6 weeks for the highest end raiders to complete the Tier on Heroic. Double that for the rest of the competitive raiding guilds. So, your looking at 3 months before those guilds go into farm mode.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Also remember they're not really on a deadline either. They can easily say, "Next expansion street date is Aug 17th, 2013". And Aug 16th say they're needing more time. I think we're too worried about what's next and not enjoy what we have right now(faster development cycle, alot more content than ever before, etc).

Theorycrafting is great stuff, but in the end it's still theory.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well, they do run into subscription churn problem if they wait too long. Summer plus nothing new will result in players finding other things to do really quickly. Once, the tier has gone on for too long, their subscription rate will drop off. They fully understand items like this and have a bit more understanding of release dates of other games also.

But, what I posted does generally suggest that it will be on or before BlizzCon for 5.4. It really comes down to when it's done they will release it. They also won't commit to a release until it is already locked. This is mostly for SEC purposes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

I like your point of view, but remember they scraped project titan and have cubicles of nerdy guys in gamer tshirts standing around the watercooler talking about the weather. Wouldn't be surprised if they discarded titan to speed up their cash cow.

I believe, they took half the dev team from project titan and moved them onto models. Character and item models, which is why we are now seeing xmog helms in the store. I believe we will also see faster patches and expansions. Which is not necessarily good, but meh.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]