5.4 Jewelcrafting

90 Human Paladin
Had a question, are we going to get new epic cuts in 5.4? It would be cool if we had even a one day chance at prospecting epic gems somehow.

Wasn't happy with the end of Cata, I'm hoping it doesn't get done that way again. Really puts our profession on the backburner, we made nearly zero profits due to being cut out of the loop.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Yeah, and some baseline Epic Rings, or even 450+ Superiors, would be really nice.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I have to agree with this. The only reason I haven't abandoned Jewelcrafting at this point is because I spent so much time and so many spirits of harmony on cuts (half of which are useless and undesirable btw) that I'd feel like I just wasted a ton of time. I'd also hate to lose all that and start over on a new profession.

In my opinion, it'd be nice if Jewelcrafting had the following every other patch or so:

1) New upgraded cuts or new epic cuts
2) New epic rings, necklaces, etc.
3) Maybe some trinkets

I also think it could use a better system of learning gems. I have so many recipes that will never see the light of day and which are useless to my character. I, personally, would have rather just learned my standard caster cuts and maybe a couple others. I have spent so much time and money learning cuts I will never use and even cuts that are very unpopular. It feels wasteful and disappointing.

Enchanting gets really boring too in my opinion but at least I can disenchant stuff at will and it interacts with my PvE Gameplay better than Jewelcrafting since items always drop. I don't find ore ever and I'm not a miner, so the only way I interact with my jewelcrafting is when I need a gem for myself or if I decide to prospect off the AH (which I VERY RARELY do). I can't even remember the last time I prospected something.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Just a little worried they only give us a minor epic, nothing 5.4 worthy. More important no access at earning epic gems, and cuts.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Expect to see a similar system to Cata. A mix of the current research style to get cuts, and the gems only available from Siege.

Why? The DS system was a "success", as epic gems started off hard to come by, and JCers could pick and choose which cuts to get to maximise their use for themselves/guildies/profit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Currency system return please. WOTLK style. The JC token system worked a treat.
Also, to avoid a token overflow once all recipes are earned, make it that certain materials are token purchase only. (IE: 5 tokens for an epic grade material, 1 token per day on a JC daily quest.)

I dont like the current concept of having a random recipe hurled down my throat. I don't even use or sell a large portion of them.

The craft has become gimped and should be fixed.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Also, to avoid a token overflow once all recipes are earned, make it that certain materials are token purchase only. (IE: 5 tokens for an epic grade material, 1 token per day on a JC daily quest.)

I dont like the current concept of having a random recipe hurled down my throat. I don't even use or sell a large portion of them.

I don't like this idea. I'd rather have what we have now.. the ability to get the recipes via drops.. I found it was easier and quicker farming them than it was doing the token thing. Or maybe I'm just lucky with RNG. There was a time I was finding a couple in one day.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
06/28/2013 08:47 AMPosted by Searc
I found it was easier and quicker farming them than it was doing the token thing.

I'd say this is the main reason why we don't get craftable epics?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Expect to see a similar system to Cata. A mix of the current research style to get cuts, and the gems only available from Siege.

Why? The DS system was a "success", as epic gems started off hard to come by, and JCers could pick and choose which cuts to get to maximise their use for themselves/guildies/profit.

Sorry have to disagree with this, had a very tough time making any profit at the end of Cata. With other crafting professions; such as BS I can make a 522 item and make a 5k profit. Another example, the reborn items made almost a 10k profit. Those items are more desired then mounts and pets. Cuts your lucky to get a 50g tip, and the bottoms out quickly.
Edited by Lowangel on 6/28/2013 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Sorry have to disagree with this, had a very tough time making any profit at the end of Cata.
Then you did something horribly wrong, to be totally honest.

Not only was I cutting & selling gems that I was collecting from DS, but I was also playing the auction house with the epic gems, using the profits from my own gems to buy others to cut & sell on for a good chunk of profit.
Was I using other methods as well? Of course. Never put all your eggs in one basket. However, profits from epic gems & their cuts were enough that I was covering all my expenses without too many issues.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I'd love to be able to do more than just cut gems.

I got no toys, no epics, NO TRINKETS?!?!?!

Jewelcrafting is just a sparse shadow of its former self at the moment.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk

Epics will pop up.
If you haven't noticed, the recent trend has been to release epic gems with the final raid tier.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Epics will pop up.
If you haven't noticed, the recent trend has been to release epic gems with the final raid tier.

I think he meant rings and neck pieces, items.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
True.
I can't disagree with that, I'd like to see some rings/necks back into JC that are actually useful, even if they need to be raid drop patterns / raid-rep tied again.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Cata style of epic gems was a disaster. It was only mildly successful due to 1) massive duping of epic gems, and 2) DS was ridiculously easy.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin

Yup
Edited by Radiate on 6/28/2013 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
They are supposedly adding this next patch:

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items/102483-crafted-malevolent-gladiators-medallion-of

I'm not sure who will craft this but I'm hoping it will be JC, if so we will make a killing off them!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

While I largely agree with everything you've said, I feel compelled to point out the Jeweled Onyx Panther, that's definitely a slick mount...even if it's costly.

I would like to see jewelcrafting get some love from 5.4, though. Rings/Trinkets, have them be drops off bosses and trash in the new raid? Other toys can be done via chains/purchases etc...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
06/28/2013 08:44 AMPosted by Stallior

No thank you. The WOTLK system drove me nuts.

It's a better system than tokens.

The craft has become gimped and should be fixed.

The real problem is that the entire crafting system in WoW is pathetic. The use of fixed recipes means that they have to add new recipes and materials all the time. I've got over 500 recipes in most of my crafting professions and most of them are identical with the only difference being if they use materials from vanilla, TBC, Cata or MoP.

A proper system would have people able to produce items scaled in power to their ability and the strength of the materials (Great job for alchemists). Done this way I could take the Imperial Plate that I've got on my blacksmiths and make in line my skills and the materials available, i.e, choose the stats that it has on it so that it's MoP viable. An armour design (or gem design) shouldn't become obsolete just because thorium isn't in vogue any more (and thorium shouldn't drop out of vogue).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Sure...stuck behind some stupid exalted rep that you need to be exalted with someone else to even start...kinda like what us enchanters had to go through.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]