MoP Legendary is a cloak??

90 Blood Elf Priest
Maybe it should just be an epic cloak. Over and above anything you get, but not legendary quality. There is no denying the fact that the quest line is time consuming. It certainly isn't over the top to give anyone that has completed it a 'just' reward.

I do agree that Legendaries are something that Blizz can never implement to everyone's satisfaction, so in future expansions, it is probably a good idea to have an over-arching quest line through out the expansion to give a reward like the cloak (or a ring or something).
Reply Quote
10 Blood Elf Paladin
at least give it some flavor so it is somewhat unique, or notable. or maybe even a raid quest that rewards some kind of vanity items? (like the shadowmourne chest)

stats are great but most legendary items need something to make them stand out: whether its a cool model, graphic effect, or something not related to dps (like dragonwrath also being a mount).
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
LFR is why we can't have nice things... they wanted everyone to be able to obtain it so here you go, everyone disappointed... nice job blizzard you took the Legend out of legendary
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
06/27/2013 09:43 PMPosted by Murdina
a gem which only fits in a specific socket that is only found in a single weapon your class can use, which wasn't even viable past the 1st raid tier and provided no special visual upgrades.

And which cost 10k gold if you wanted a second one.

It seems that updating the original sha touched weapons was to be an important part of the chain, but Blizzard thought better of it and redesigned it. All the rewards we have now seem a bit of a mess.

Anyhow the main purpose of this chain seems to be to reward participation in LFR mainly. That's fine, but the rewards should have been cosmetic - achievements, titles, mounts, pets, transmog items, etc.

The actual legendaries should have been weapons, as usual, and required actual normal or heroic mode raiding.

I pictured something more along the lines of difficult solo quests that anyone could do on their own time, but required a significant amount of gear and skill to accomplish.

I found the solo scenario to get the gem challenging at first, although I suppose to someone of your gear and skill it was cake. There's another of Blizzards problems of how to keep people with a huge range of skill and dedication satisfied.

While I haven't tried the cloak scenario yet, (6 runestones QQ) I can't really say the 1st 2 events were really all that special. The challenge of the 5.1 boss was actually finding people to do it. Since it provided no rewards outside of the quest, and people were finishing with the valor step at slightly different times depending on how much RNG screwed them in the 5.0 step, half the time I couldn't even gather a group for it. But once you could grab a tank, healer, and a DPS online at the same time, anyone else you could grab just made it go faster but sent really needed.

I died once to the thunderforge scenario because I was cocky and tried to use the anvils for a 100% uptime on the damage boost thinking I could kill it in my gear before it was a problem. I was wrong, but killed it the next attempt when I actually sucked it up and did it right.

I think the problem with these end quests is that they really aren't the main focus of the questline. Blizzard gave the idea that if you kept grinding for rep and stupid little baubles you would get your orange stuff, so they couldn't have made the quests very difficult or all the lfr players would throw a !@#$ fit when they couldn't afk to get their legendary they felt they had already "earned." So the end quests ended up just being a cap off to the quest since it would be lame if it literally ended like a regular old collection quest where you hand in 10 things and get your reward. (I'm looking at you 5.0 gem...)

If they made the legendary quest as I thought they were going to, there would be no gated raid collection step. Everything would be doable either solo, in a small group, or in a raid encounter separate from the main tier sort of like the dragonwrath boss in Firelands. The quests would be difficult challenges which would require gear and skill to accomplish, so maybe the step to acquire the legendary isn't doable in week 1 gear and when you get the legendary will be based on how progressed you are and how skilled of a player you are. Heroic raiders will get geared up sooner and be able to get it earlier in the tier, everyone else will go more slowly, but aren't necessarily doomed to not get it in the same tier, as the skill component would allow you to make up for a lack of gear. This way everyone can get it, but its actually an accomplishment to get it, especially if you are one of the 1st. You would actually get it sooner for putting in more effort and being better at the game, as opposed to mop, where there are people who never do anything but LFR who have the cloak before me because they got lucky.

This could have a more continuous and interesting story, possibly based around class or at least role, and would be far more engaging than any of the prior legendary acquisition methods.
Edited by Darthelmet on 6/28/2013 5:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
06/27/2013 11:14 PMPosted by Volios

no
we're upset because it has to be pathetically lame BECAUSE everyone gets one.

Wait, are you trying to convince everyone no really means yes?

The complaint isn't that "this isn't cool because other people have it." Its the fact that because blizzard knew that literally EVERYONE who was playing at lv 90 in mists of pandaria was going to have one at some point, they had to tone down the reward you got and balance around everyone having it. It isn't even really an upgrade since classes and bosses are tuned to assume that you will have it at some point.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I hope they scrap the legendary idea in the next expansion. Or just go back to "1% drop rate off the last boss of the tier".

That's REALLY boring though, there should always be a quest involved.

Part of the quest should include however a 1% drop rate off a boss in a raid tier.

Sulfuras, Ateish and Thunderfury were the most "legendary" feeling weapons this game has ever had. They all had the same model in common.

Valanyr was a good example too. Things started getting silly right around the time Shadowmourne came out, since then Legendaries have been feeling less legendary all the time.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
"You must be in possession of a Celestial Cloak of Virtue to use this item."

Hm. An item that you can only use if you have the cloak, which essentially means you did all of the Legendary quests. Hmmmmmmmm.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Go back to the FL legendary type of questline. Maybe only 5% of the player base will get them, but at least they'll actually be LEGENDARY.

lol that's not how dragonwrath was like at ALLLLLLLLL.
Everybody and their mother had a dragonwrath
Edited by Deziration on 6/28/2013 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Priest
As long as I can get the DPS and healing one, i'm ok... If they do this unique !@#$ again, I'm going to be pretty annoyed. The legendary isn't legendary since it's literally handed out to everyone. Because of that, everyone is expected to have it... including offspecs.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
As long as I can get the DPS and healing one, i'm ok... If they do this unique !@#$ again, I'm going to be pretty annoyed. The legendary isn't legendary since it's literally handed out to everyone. Because of that, everyone is expected to have it... including offspecs.

The reason for that.... 10 mans... gotta keep it in the hard difficulty... 25 man... because 10 man is such a joke
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
06/28/2013 04:40 AMPosted by Kaoes
nice job blizzard you took the Legend out of legendary

^
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
The reason for that.... 10 mans... gotta keep it in the hard difficulty... 25 man... because 10 man is such a joke

lol ok
Reply Quote
100 Troll Monk
My 2 biggest problems with this is 1 the first part of the legendary quest is useless ,500 stat gem for what half a tier of content, score! Secondly a cape doesnt feel like it makes your character significant. what i mean is when you get a cape as a upgrade you are like score upgrade, compare that feeling to say a weapon you have been wanting or a trinket. its a completely different level of awesome. i dont even need to have it be a weapon or trinket just something to make my char stand out maybe a like a aura or something like from diablo 2 how you got that glow when you got higher level or had a set on i cant remember its been so long.

As it is right now it feels like a simple upgrade that i get during a raid. A legendary should feel like its a part of your character not a simple upgrade. As it is im more excited for the engineering pet and mount then im am for a legendary. And thats not the way it should be.
Edited by Lycrosis on 6/28/2013 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
nice job blizzard you took the Legend out of legendary

There is nothing legendary about an item everyone has that can be obtained by simply running LFR.

That's REALLY boring though, there should always be a quest involved.

I agree and disagree. I don't think there should be a quest just for the sake of having a quest and for the MOP legendary this is pretty much what it feels like. The fangs quest line was one of the most fun parts of DS for me. It was raid collection mixed with ninja missions (which I definitely enjoyed). The ninja missions added flavor and went with the theme of the quest. They were a very unique experience. The solo bosses at the end weren't exactly hard but weren't entirely push overs either. They required you to maximize the use of your class tool set.

The raid collection is fine, you would be doing that anyways but the rep grinds? BGs? Simple 5 man bosses which you can roll up on with 40 people if you so choose? BORING! The first part of the quest that I found interesting/enjoyable was fighting Wrathion for the cloak as well as the lore portion of the story given by each of the celestial. Everything leading up to that moment was very weak and IMO did not really need to exist at all.

The 1% drop rate items definitely caused frustration at times but from a pure design standpoint was much better game design. You didn't have to balance around it. Having 1 person per server with an amazing over the top weapon does not change the raid meta game. 1 persons DPS in a 25 player raid getting an "unfair" boost is not going to make difficult bosses automatically fall over. Now if you look at what happened in DS where raids were rolling up on bosses with 4 legendary rogues and 13 legendary casters its a much different story. With items that common of course the bosses need to be tuned assuming raids will have it. This expansion's legendary is no different.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
I personally don't need a special item to make me feel special. In general I agree with the sentiment you guys are expressing regarding the rarity of items, but does the game really need legendary items?

Also Azane, you're complaining that Blizzard has to balance the tier around items practically everyone will get? Are you hearing that argument in your head? That's every tier for practically every item.

The only reasonable complaint there, in my opinion, would be if you didn't get one, because that was the intent of the design and it failed you.

If you're complaining that your chances of the being the special snowflake are non-existent by design, then we're back to that old complaint again. Is it impossible to enjoy this game without Blizzard dispensing mental tugjobs in the form of unique items?

Ranting aside, it seems the general consensus in this thread is that extremely low chance legendaries are the only way to go. Which drives us right back to the original concerns with diverting much of the guild's efforts into completing a weapon for one person, exalting said person, based on luck, and then watching them quit the game for Hello Kitty a few weeks later.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
but does the game really need legendary items?

No it does not. I am not opposed to scrapping them entirely either. In fact, it is probably the best option moving forward.

Also Azane, you're complaining that Blizzard has to balance the tier around items practically everyone will get? Are you hearing that argument in your head? That's every tier for practically every item.

Yes it is but legendaries have historically been far more powerful than any other item. As I explained in my post this is why when they are super rare you do not need to balance around them but when they are super common you do. One person getting their personal DPS increased even by a whopping 10% out of 17 DPS is not going to throw the balance of the tier out of whack. Increasing raid DPS across the board will.

If you're complaining that your chances of the being the special snowflake are non-existent by design, then we're back to that old complaint again. Is it impossible to enjoy this game without Blizzard dispensing mental tugjobs in the form of unique items?

leg·end·ar·y
Remarkable enough to be famous; very well known.

I personally don't care if they remove legendaries from the game (in fact I would prefer it) but the word by definition pretty much means that by obtaining one you should be a "special snowflake". There was 1 rogue who had warglavies on my server in BC and 1 fury warrior that had a glaive. Everyone knew who they were.
Edited by Ninjablaze on 6/28/2013 1:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
C'mon Ninja, you're not gonna try and argue semantics and ignore 'epic' and 'rare' are you?

Joking aside, I appreciate what you mean, and how someone who had a legendary was known by server communities, but as I mentioned there are a ton of negatives with that too. Making one, or a few players the focus of a good portion of a guild's effort doesn't translate well for everyone.

I like everyone in my 10-man, to the last person. We have finally got a really strong bond internally and I am confident that they are as motivated and focused as I am. That said, I don't want to spend an entire tier fluffing one of them in between their awesome Legendary quests chains.

I don't need it to make me feel special, and more importantly I don't want to be forced into carrying someone else to something that special that I can't get. Label it jealousy if you must, but I know how I feel about it. Practically everyone on my team has an heroic weapon, several have multiple, and a couple of multiple heroic thunderforged. We've seen one ranged weapon drop in ToT.

Me having a normal mode weapon while helping someone obtain a legendary would probably drive me out of this game once and for all. I think the RNG stakes are already higher than I prefer, I don't want even greater gear gaps to exist.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
what is this feel special crap? things are special or they arent. its a real thing. Everyone having every tier set, having every trinket, having every weapon, killing every boss. makes those things less special. Gear inflation isnt only about item lvls.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
upgrading a sha-touched weapon? No thanks, never seen a 1h from HOF, and probably never will.

They dropped the ball when they had quest items drop in LFR. Hell, i got 99% of my secrets/runestones from LFR (and ran it AFTER clearing on normal/heroic).

So yeah gratz on your capes guys.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]