Ordos is an insult to new/returning player.

90 Worgen Priest
Ordos requires Legendary Cloak to participate.

There are many good new and returning players to WOW who will be locked out of this for no reason. I haven't been back for long and don't even have my extra weapon socket bonus. Still I'm already in a normal TOT group after about a month of being back.

There is no way I'm going to get this in time. It's just aggravating. What happened to play the game you want. If you like raids and boss encounters forcing people to do a long and ridiculously gated quest is not the way to do it.

I don't mind working for my items, but being locked out of a boss for simply being a returning player is wrong and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Edited by Wendychan on 6/29/2013 5:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
That is not final. So don't get all angry, it may change.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Well, blizzard is already catering to casuals by making LFR have a massively higher drop rate for runestones than regular or heroic raiding.

Most LFR casuals without a single regular boss downed already have their cloaks from what i've seen.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
Why do you even need a legendary cape if you're not going to raid?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
No? You only need 1 person to summon him so only a few people need to have the Legendary. It is a world boss, thus a group.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Why do you even need a legendary cape if you're not going to raid?

Why does it matter if someone has one or not? If they went through the quest chain, they deserve it.

A misconception is that people who run LFR do not want to raid normal. This is false, there are a lot of people who want to raid. But cant for various reasons.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Slap in the face.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
But yet, nobody is crying about Ra-den.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Prior to Mists of Pandaria, ALL World Bosses were things that "new" or "just returning" players had no way of doing anyway. Similarly, no new or returning player would have any shot at a legendary. This expansion has made those things available to all players, regardless of skill and with far less investment. At some point Blizzard has to draw a line.

It's an optional boss. There will be at least one other world boss available. If you are really gunning for the gear, try actually normal mode raiding, the gear is the same quality.

I honestly don't understand the outrage over one boss being somewhat exclusive. There are pets, titles, mounts, and gear that aren't acquirable by people that are new or took breaks. As in, permanently no longer acquirable. This boss would be available for you eventually if you kept trying to unlock it. This is one fleeting world raid boss at the end of an expansion, whose gear isn't special or especially powerful.

Why do you feel entitled to it? Why do you need to do it so badly? Technically you are locked out of every heroic mode boss (and Ra-den for sure) by being a new and returning player, and would need to do just as much (if not more) work to see that. Why is this something you feel you should get to see, compared to that?
Edited by Ryvelia on 6/29/2013 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

This is literally the BC dungeon keys. And yet people were totally fine with them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

Just like Alliance will get their fist pump in the next expansion, or so they said in Cata.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
06/29/2013 05:15 PMPosted by Ryvelia
Prior to Mists of Pandaria,

Which is where we are not at the moment, now are we?
Reply Quote
93 Goblin Shaman
Well, blizzard is already catering to casuals by making LFR have a massively higher drop rate for runestones than regular or heroic raiding.

Most LFR casuals without a single regular boss downed already have their cloaks from what i've seen.

You know, I'm going to start reading these types of posts in the voice of Charlie Brown's parents/teacher:

Wah wah wah- wah, wah, wah wah.

You realize they did that to make EVERYONE'S life easier, right? Quit whining.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I don't get how this translate into an insult. I could see someone arguing that they feel it's unfair.

Why aren't you crying that you don't get to walk in and kill Ra-Den when you want? And yet I'm sure you'll have an Ordos kill long before you see Ra-Den.

Look at the cloak as a skill test. People have complained that players are getting access to content they aren't ready to handle. Ordos is supposedly an extremely hard boss. If you can pass the quest tests to get your legendary cloak, then you are probably ready to face him. If you can't, he might be beyond your skill level.

As for being a returning player, your feats of strength say you haven't missed more than a couple of months. Drop rates for most of the earlier parts of the legendary chain have been increased to allow players to catch up. You probably won't be that far behind others in seeing Ordos.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

Seriously, stop it. Making a comparison to a world boss that is the result of a grind that takes no skill to accomplish to an incentive for heroic raiders is not the same.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
06/29/2013 05:17 PMPosted by Nexumus
Prior to Mists of Pandaria,

Which is where we are not at the moment, now are we?

You can't ignore precedence. A lot of Blizzard's decisions are done with the intention of keeping things "feeling like World of Warcraft".

Similarly, if your argument is that things in the past are irrelevant, then Blizzard's 5.0 and 5.2 design of World Bosses being accessible to everyone aren't where we are at the moment either. So they're irrelevant. We're looking at 5.4, where one boss is gated and exclusive. That's where we are now. Earlier patches don't matter. See why you can't simply disregard things like that? It can't just be a one-way trend towards accessibility, Blizzard is allowed to move back towards exclusivity, too.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
06/29/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Joynal
Look at the cloak as a skill test.

I can't look at something that is ridiculously gated and takes no skill as a skill test.

Heroic exclusive bosses are fine... I see no problem with that. New players can get to that level with enough effort.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
06/29/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Joynal
Look at the cloak as a skill test.

It takes zero skill to get the cloak because all the parts can be completed in LFR. Just time and luck.

People have complained that players are getting access to content they aren't ready to handle.

Who? Do you speak for everyone? Give an example.

Ordos is supposedly an extremely hard boss. If you can pass the quest tests to get your legendary cloak, then you are probably ready to face him. If you can't, he might be beyond your skill level.

See point #1.

I have not seen a single good reason for this boss to be gated yet. This would apply regardless of whether or not I had the cloak.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
06/29/2013 04:58 PMPosted by Wendychan
There are many good new and returning players to WOW who will be locked out of this for no reason.

wait, there's something stopping new or returning players from doing the legendary questline?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]