We need a Ground Up Overhaul!

It seems that every expansion since Burning Crusade, i have at one time or another had to shelf my hunter. This guy was my day 1 of vanilla toon. Never transferred him. Never Renamed. Never Race Changed. I have rode the rollercoaster of hunter changes. The good. The Bad. And the class breaking. We have three specs, and at no time have all three been close to eachother for DPS. There really has never been a time when there has been a clear vision for us either. It just seems that hunters are the black sheep. Even more than shamans.

Give us a Warlock Rebuild. Three unique specs. Three different styles of play. A different resource management for each spec. While there is some difference in DPS numbers between the specs, but they are close. I Love my warlock. I wish i could tri spec him. My dear hunter, just keeps getting put on the shelf. He has a good run for a bit each expansion, then they just start throwing wrenches in the fan till the thing breaks. Then they give us an OP ability as a cookie. Then when we are half done with the cookie, they take it and give us a Fig Newton and tell us that is just as good as our Double Stuffed Oreo. BETTER EVEN! But really it is just an utter let down, that we will sit and eat because we dont have another option.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
This^^^.

Blizard, y u do dis
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I agree 100% we do need a complete overhaul.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I un-sub'd because I dont like being forced to play 1 spec for pvp at least let us have 2, marks used to be fun and skillfull pvp, and then constant blinkstrike/lynx changes... /facepalm

I will 100% come back to play again if they get overhauled, or new expansion which usually changes classes a good amount.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Hunter
I want a petless pure ranger spec..... so bad.....
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
There idea of a ground up overhaul is to keep nerfing bm until its practically really hard to own with and play marksman. SV is that spec thats similar to that weird uncle in your family. Everyone likes him but no one ever talks about him even though you still love him.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I agree almost entirely. Not sure I like a secondary resource though.
06/25/2013 06:59 PMPosted by Murmillo
There really has never been a time when there has been a clear vision for us either.

^^
This is why we can do almost everything in the game and why our abilities are "watered-down" versions of what other classes have. And why we have so much "bloat".

This is from another thread on the same topic....
Agreed. Hunter specs need more diversity, but not sure I am on board with a secondary resource.

Honestly though, before any of that, Blizzard needs to take a step back and really figure out how they want hunters to function, decide on our niche, then trim out toolkit accordingly.

In my opinion, our wide range of abilities is our biggest "achilles heal". We can do almost anything in the game, either directly or through our pet abilities. We are truly the jack of all trades, masters of none. The best example ooff the top of my head...
- "Hunters have no raid utility."
- "Yes you do. You can provide any buff."

Anyway, back on topic... My wish list...(much of which has already been said)

I really wish they hadn't removed Stings. Might have been cool to have a different sting for each spec.

MM to be a petless. Higher damage at the expense of less mobility. Maybe Glaive Toss replaces Arcane Shot.

BM melee / short range. Pets get back talents. BMs get to choose 1 extra "exotic" ability.

SV stealth, DoT based with enhanced traps and maybe a unique trap of its own. Always thought Camo should have been SV only or at least do more.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
In my opinion, our wide range of abilities is our biggest "achilles heal". We can do almost anything in the game, either directly or through our pet abilities. We are truly the jack of all trades, masters of none. The best example ooff the top of my head...

That bit there pisses me off. I'm part of a 10m group that actually has all the raid buffs, without my help, so I bring nothing to the raid but "sub-par" DPS, a tallstrider, and a sponge for mail loot. In 25ms it even worse. We only bring something to the table when the group comp is... lacking.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

That bit there pisses me off. I'm part of a 10m group that actually has all the raid buffs, without my help, so I bring nothing to the raid but "sub-par" DPS, a tallstrider, and a sponge for mail loot. In 25ms it even worse. We only bring something to the table when the group comp is... lacking.

Pretty much this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I want a petless pure ranger spec..... so bad.....

yess
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
This game is 8 years old, there will be no overhaul.
We will be tossed a few things here or there but when the last expansion is released the game will be allowed to die out.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
This game is 8 years old, there will be no overhaul.
We will be tossed a few things here or there but when the last expansion is released the game will be allowed to die out.

Uh huh, and yet it happened for warlocks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I bring nothing to the raid but "sub-par" DPS, a tallstrider, and a sponge for mail loot. I

Those feels. Though until Hunter's are absolutely shocking, my RL wants me as a Hunter forever it seems.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

^^Exactly.

And here is the real kick in the nuts... Blizzard admitted that the buff bot design was flawed and took steps over the years to trim it from the other classes, last of which were Shamans. Then they turn around and give the same failed design to hunters and act like they did us a favor. It's a complete contradiction.

On top of that, they make the statement that pets are supposed to be "boon companions" but proceed to tie different buffs to different pet families. Explain to me how I am supposed to bring my favorite pet, my wolf, to raid if I need to provide the Haste buff (which is actually the case for my current raid)? The answer... I CAN'T. Another contradiction.

Along those same lines of failed pet design (sorry getting slightly off-topic)... If BM hunters are supposed to be "masters of all beasts" why are they more limited in their pet choices than either of the other specs. Some of you may be confused by that statement, but hear me out, using myself and my favorite pet, my wolf, as an example. As BM why would I bring my wolf over a Devilsaur, if they both provide crit but the Devilsaur also provides MS? Why would I bring a cat, if a spirit beast also brings spirit mend? The answer... YOU WOULDN'T. Yet another contradiction.

I enjoy this game and I enjoy my hunter. I have rolled with the punches and adapted over the years even when Blizzards design has moved in the opposite direction I would have liked. What I do not enjoy is when design contradicts Blizzards intended goals or vice versa.
Reply Quote
Yes. I really just want to be able to play this class through an entire expansion. Also i would like to have spec's that truly feel different. And be able to go between them and not drop even further on the DPS meter. Also I really dont feel that as a pure DPS that we have to struggle to be mediocre. At this rate, even an excellent hunter, can not put out as much dps as several other classes played decently. And if gear level is the same... no chance.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I too believe we need a revamp, which is why I've been interacting with several threads on here regarding changes to how each spec would play. But in my short while playing WoW, I and a few others have noticed a couple of things:

1) Blizzard seems to have no idea what to do with us as a class.

This is clear in the way they set up the specs and the skill trees from the beginning. Which other class in the entire game had the potential to use EVERY SINGLE STAT at any given point with every single spec? Ever wonder where the "Hunter weapon" jokes came from? There you go.

Almost everybody keeps complaining about us being hybrids, possessing the stat prioritization of a melee class while possessing the ranged abilities of a caster. Admittedly this put Blizzard in quite a spot. It's the RANGED aspect that confuses the heck out of everyone, players and developers alike. When you've got your wizards and your warriors, then the lines are clearly drawn. But somebody in between?

Frankly, however, there is a flip side:

2) The players are divided over WHAT they want out of the class.

This is related to point #1, but on our side instead of theirs. There are a number of sides to this conflict. You have PvP vs. PvE, that classic schism within the MMO playerbase at large. Then we have things like players demanding petless specs. Then there's the "hardcore vs. casual" debate (I'm not going to go into that one because I'm on the side of the 'casuals' despite myself being able to be classified as 'hardcore'). Still there are those who demand the melee hunter back (why they would want to revive the now-dead Hunter Weapon joke I don't know, but they're there).

The end result is that Blizzard has to sift through what we're asking from them because if we were to be compared to a radio signal, then we generate far more noise than audible information.

If we want an overhaul, we first have to come to terms with what we want as a whole from the class.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I think we are both generally on the same side in this conversation but I really do not agree with this statement.

If we want an overhaul, we first have to come to terms with what we want as a whole from the class.

BLIZZARD needs to make up their mind. Of course we as a community should offer our opinions. But this player "schism" is a symptom of Blizzards design and their rollercoaster of development.

If they said look, "We hear you with the melee and the petless requests, but that's not the direction we want to go." Then came up with a clear vision for the class and each spec, I am sure most of the community would be fine with it.

Which circles us right back your first point. Their vision is blurred. Until they make up their minds and develop us accordingly, we will be in this limbo.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Fig Newtons > Double Stuff Oreos!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
BLIZZARD needs to make up their mind. Of course we as a community should offer our opinions. But this player "schism" is a symptom of Blizzards design and their rollercoaster of development.

I understand where you're coming from, and yes I agree with your gist. My point is that they specifically created these forums to gather whatever amount of information they could about their customers, to the intent they would make changes toward improving the game for as many people as they could.

But when I enter our forums there seems to be quite a good amount of confusion as to what we really want, and a noticeable amount of infighting to boot (MM vs. BM and remove aspect of fox vs. redesign aspect of fox for example). We also usually see requests for moar stable slots dark ranger class petless spec tame pterrorwings dual wield pistols like super cool anime character plzzz as opposed to something constructive about fixing the class. Not saying we ought to stop that from happening, but when you get noise like the above, how is an already confused developer going to see what general direction they need to go in?

Fig Newtons > Double Stuff Oreos!

I only had Fig Newtons once, can't give my 2 cents here. ;)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
06/27/2013 08:16 AMPosted by Gryzor
But when I enter our forums there seems to be quite a good amount of confusion as to what we really want, and a noticeable amount of infighting to boot (MM vs. BM and remove aspect of fox vs. redesign aspect of fox for example). We also usually see requests for moar stable slots dark ranger class petless spec tame pterrorwings dual wield pistols like super cool anime character plzzz as opposed to something constructive about fixing the class.

Yup you're right.

I find it hilarious that given all our issues, I still see threads like "Can we have volley back?"

I mean its fine that people ask for these types of things, but this is like a weekly occruance and thats only ONE topic. There are fifty others just like it!!! LOL
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]