Monk Healing

92 Human Death Knight
I think Monks are by far the most underrated class in the game.

The damage they can output as a HEALER is insane and far too overtuned in my opinion.

Yet again, another hybrid who can output insane damage while outputting equally insane healing. OP Healing as DPS and OP DPS as Healing.

Needs to be looked at for sure, I don't think they need that much mobility and utility.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
To be honest, monks are alright, but they are not as OP as you claim them to be.
I main a mistweaver, and in 10mans, my 55k dps is really the only thing giving me a raid slot over another disc priest. In PVP, yea I can see mistweaver monks having a great advantage with their fistweaving and mobility, but in pve were barely par with some of the other healing classes.

TBH on my server there's barely a handful of mistweaver monks, and im assuming its because its not the easiest class to "master". I've only ever healed in raids since wrath with all the healing classes that have been available, so I mastered the mistweave/fistweaving monk pretty easily in comparison to alot of others who have tried it.

Pve > Pvp in my eyes, so clearly we can agree to disagree as I only focus on monks in a pve setting. The mobility is great.. but it doesnt do a whole lot in helping me keep the raid up with what utility I have for healing. Having to rely on fistweaving to keep the raid up is not always viable either, so having to switch between fistweaving and mistweaving based on the performance of other raiders isnt always fun. From a healers perspective, I have to keep up the raid, even if it means my dps drops from 60k+ to 40k- so the tank doesnt die or drop into purgatory. And.. im not always modest enough to care to explain to my raid lead why my dps dropped during this fight, but was high in the last. We have our punches too.. in both pve and pvp so, in the end it comes to skill good sir.

Slight suggestion in pvp, knock out the statue. Keep them busy.
Edited by Poshy on 6/27/2013 11:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You don't fistweave in pvp, no offensive pvp power + standing next to things that wish to hurt you is a bad idea as a healer. Fistweaving only works in duels.

As for pve, yes they can be quite strong. Some funky mechanics that sometimes hurt, sometimes help, but decently balanced.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
06/27/2013 11:39 PMPosted by Poshy
TBH on my server there's barely a handful of mistweaver monks

That's a short joke, isn't it? ;-P

06/27/2013 11:39 PMPosted by Poshy
Having to rely on fistweaving to keep the raid up is not always viable either, so having to switch between fistweaving and mistweaving based on the performance of other raiders isnt always fun.

Or just fight mechanics but I think that's the fun part. Switching between fistweaving and uplift spamming and / or tank healing then back brings a bit of excitement. If all I did was a dps rotation I'd get bored pretty fast.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Definitely not as OP as you're thinking. Unless your raid has everything on farm and really doesnt need the extra healing, fistweaving isn't the way to go. If you really need that extra dps you may as well just go WW and actually dps since the extra heals aren't needed. I can cap out at about 100-115k purely fistweaving with the legendary gem (fistweaving is sub-par at best without the gem) however the only times I can think that this would be worthwhile are H Horridon last phase and on Jin'rohk while in puddles.

In PvP, like someone above mentioned, you aren't going to stand next to them doing a less than ideal amount of damage since we don't gain damage through pvp power. Fistweaving is just out of the question.

Really fistweaving just has it's own little niche and acts as more of a filler when full on healing isn't really necessary. Much like atonement for priests.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest

Im for certain that its not a short joke. Many guilds on my realm look for mistweaver monks for their 10man raids. Let me know if theres another reason behind that other than because theres A) lack of mistweavers available or
B) Lack of skillful mistweavers available.

Numerous guilds have asked if they could try me out, im like NOPE, i like my guild so far.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
Or just fight mechanics but I think that's the fun part. Switching between fistweaving and uplift spamming and / or tank healing then back brings a bit of excitement. If all I did was a dps rotation I'd get bored pretty fast

Its fun for me when my team doesnt need the extra dps ;S
But when our dps is low, and our healers are slacking, and im expected to punch out halfway decent numbers, yet cant because the raid needs my attention, then no Its not fun lol. Especially when Theres moments that are sparatic and im having to dump mana without getting a chance to use mana tea, and therefore losing regen potential.

Otherwise, im back and forth quite often just because i too get bored of fistweaving lol.
Some fights I use chi torpedo like a mad man, and itll end up being like my 3rd top heals.
Transcendence to middle of raid, torpedo back through the ranged, then forward through the ranged, then back through the ranged again during heavy aoe ontop of spamming REM and uplift/crane kick. Lots of fun lol. But when im given an actual dps role.. by my raid lead because we lack dps.. it sucks, especially on fights that are two healable where the two other healers we have are not maximizing their skill.
Edited by Poshy on 6/28/2013 9:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
06/28/2013 09:49 AMPosted by Poshy

Im for certain that its not a short joke. Many guilds on my realm look for mistweaver monks for their 10man raids. Let me know if theres another reason behind that other than because theres A) lack of mistweavers available or
B) Lack of skillful mistweavers available.

Numerous guilds have asked if they could try me out, im like NOPE, i like my guild so far.

It was a joke. Notice that I'm a gnome and the winky raspberry. I'm hypersensitive about my height.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Well 55k is real low.
100k is decent.
130k is excellent

Then there's fights like.
Jin rokh
Horridon
Council
Tortos
Primordius

Where fistweavers can pull crazy dps. I am on my phone so I can't see my world of logs to link. But feel free to check them out. Kill order, Sargeras.

This week I did 160k dps on tortos and beat 2 dps as a fistweaver.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
Where fistweavers can pull crazy dps. I am on my phone so I can't see my world of logs to link. But feel free to check them out. Kill order, Sargeras.

This week I did 160k dps on tortos and beat 2 dps as a fistweaver

Oh my god how are you pulling that much? Are you constantly blackout kicking on multiple targets?
55k dps is my average for single target in 10man, for lfr its a bit higher.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Oh my god how are you pulling that much? Are you constantly blackout kicking on multiple targets?

Chi Burst on bats + BoK \ SCK spam. I've done upwards of 200k before.

Mistweavers are OP, most people just don't know how to play them.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
Chi Burst on bats + BoK \ SCK spam. I've done upwards of 200k before.

Mistweavers are OP, most people just don't know how to play them

Yea im aware of that ^ I do 200k easy on adds of this many.

But whats your average single target dps.

Im thinking this guy is pulling 100k+ sustained dps between single target and adds together during a boss fight.
Edited by Poshy on 6/28/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Single target, if I'm focusing solely on DPS? Minimum 70k, maximum like 120k.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
Single target, if I'm focusing solely on DPS? Minimum 70k, maximum like 120k.

Ah, that 549 weapon deff helps with that D: Im jelly.
Do you find using a mainhand/offhand weapon as better dps over a staff,
I've only ever used staves so, not sure about what the numbers difference would end up like.
The % haste for a staff entices me moreover than increased auto attk dmg for some reason.
Edited by Poshy on 6/28/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
There's a hidden modifier in our spells that makes the damage the same between 1h \2h.

1h\oh gives you a better stat bonus overall and is generally the go-to. You attack as fast \ faster than the 2h and do as much damage.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I can hold about 125-130k single target dps sustained.

Its like Mist said, we are OP. its just not many people play a MW correct so very few peeps understand how a mw monk is just as important as disc in ten man.

Our ten man runs Hpally + Disc + Me.

None of us have an offspec, I just do more fisting than misting on 2 heal fights.

Also running a mh/oh over 2h is about a 8% increase in dps if we compared same weapons. Just the difference of 2h or not.
Edited by Fistsoganja on 6/28/2013 1:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Given your gear, I doubt 130k sustained. Unless you just aren't ever actually casting any healing spells at all which.. I don't believe anyone should ever do.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
I can hold about 125-130k single target dps sustained.

Its like Mist said, we are OP. its just not many people play a MW correct so very few peeps understand how a mw monk is just as important as disc in ten man.

Our ten man runs Hpally + Disc + Me.

None of us have an offspec, I just do more fisting than misting on 2 heal fights.

Also running a mh/oh over 2h is about a 8% increase in dps if we compared same weapons. Just the difference of 2h or not.

As stated above on 2 heal fights we run 3 heals, I just do 130k dps single target because its a 2 heals fight, so why would I use a heal spell.

I also have the crit trink I use when I fistweave, that procs 8k intel. Also use engineer gloves for 2k intel on cd. Chi wave does a lot of dps if used on cd.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest

Im pretty sure the general singe target rotation is as follows:

Jab, tiger palm ( x 5). surging mist ( proc), jab, blackout kick->( repeat )-> And throwing chi wave on cd-> Taking advantage of aoe'ing adds when you can.

All this ^ = 55-65k dps single target for me. Mind that I only have a 524 2H weapon, and about a 500gs with sub trinqs atm.

But even with some better trinquets and a 549 weapon, I still cant imagine pulling over 100k dps singe target.

Wth is ur rotation single target if your legit sustaining 100k+ dps
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk
Nah.

Jab TP

Jab RM BoK

Jab Expel BoK

Jab TP until RM \ Expel are back.

Jab Surge (when proc) BoK.

BoK, on average will do more damage noncrit \ crit.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]