5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

4 Orc Shaman
Players spending money to boost their leveling speed affects our playing experience in no way, whatsoever. Nothing to see here, future chicken littles. Remain calm.

New people blitzing to 90 so fast they don't do any dungeons or anything directly affects me and everyone else when they have no clue how to fulfill any role and wipe our LFR, dungeons, ect.

Bravo to you Blizzard, the market really lacked a Free2Play game with a subscription.
Edited by Nelgul on 7/3/2013 5:35 PM PDT
100 Pandaren Monk
I cannot understand a single reason why this item is a bad thing, other than the huge leaps of "great now I can just PAY TO WIN". That's such a terrible term to use for this, because there's no way to "win" WoW, and by any metric other than "first to level X number of characters to maxlvl", this item has no effect on anyone else's game.

Just so that we're clear, the bonus experience this item grants doesn't take away from anyone else's experience gain. You can still level just as fast as you would otherwise, both before and after someone buys this item (in the far-flung future).
100 Blood Elf Paladin
If this only is for cosmetic things and non-end game content, I have no problem with it.

So what if someone else spends $15 on a bunch of flasks that boost leveling speed? I don't have to. I lose nothing relative to other players when running end game content.

Besides, they already have ways to buy pets and mounts with real currency and no one seems deeply effected by it.

If, on the other hand, you can buy end game gear with money, I have a big problem.
Edited by Jawndar on 7/3/2013 5:36 PM PDT
43 Troll Druid
We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

Greed eh? Paying a monthly subscription isn't enough for Blizzard, now they want to add an in game store for people to pay MORE money to get ahead? And you wonder why you are losing so many subscriptions.
We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

Can you let us know if it's going to happen here in 'murica? If so, I'd like to get a head start on quitting.
87 Tauren Druid
07/03/2013 05:34 PMPosted by Kezmaefele
I play TOR on the side now and again and they RAGE about the Cartel Market(their in-game real money shop) and even those Rage-addicts don't care one bit about the Exp Boosts that people use to get to max level faster.

lol...TOR noobs. WOW QQers are far more advanced. They can cry about anything.

here, I'll give you an example. Over there, each player comes with a group of companions(like pets) that help you level. Some are tanks, healers, dps, whatever.

So, after however long after the last one, they add a new universal companion that can be bought with real money or game money...game money only if you've achieved a certain level of account-experience. Legacy levels. Whatever.

Anyways, people with the legacy levels and buying it with game money are demanding that their new companion be better than the one bought with real money. So that they can tell the difference between the two crowds. It's frickin stupid.
90 Tauren Monk
An interesting notion... Say this is applied to China, but not US or EU.

I wonder what people's opinions would be.

Don't they have an entirely different subscription model compared to US and EU?

They're an entirely different culture of gamers, and I'm fairly certain their payment plans are different than ours. Not to mention things that happen in their region don't affect me, or other people in our region. As far as I'm concerned, it's a different game.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
07/03/2013 05:35 PMPosted by Nelgul
Players spending money to boost their leveling speed affects our playing experience in no way, whatsoever. Nothing to see here, future chicken littles. Remain calm.

New people blitzing to 90 so fast they don't do any dungeons or anything directly affects me and everyone else when they have no clue how to fulfill any role and wipe our LFR, dungeons, ect.

Bravo to you Blizzard, the market really lacked a Free2Play game with a subscription.

You really think the people who are going to pay extra to level faster are going to be mostly players who don't know what they are doing?

I expect the opposite. Hardcore players who play 30+hrs a week will buy these flasks when leveling alts or (if possible) to get to max level when the next expansion comes out faster. I don't see many 1st time WoW players forking over extra cash to level faster when they've already forked over a ton of money just to have access to end game.
39 Tauren Druid

My 2c.

I pay for a suscription so that I'm not nickel-and-dimed. I despise that model. The only version of "Free"-to-Play I found palatable has been Path of Exile with their ethical micro-transactions model.

That said, I recently (I'm sure you can check this) bought a couple of real-money pets. I thought it was a nice way to support the company whose game I enjoy. So I made something of an exception. Why? Because I really, really like WoW. Despite all the problems I see with it, nothing (still) comes close.

With this in game, I won't be making such exceptions. If you need to, consider an optional higher subscription rate, or whatever. Even that would, on principle, feel less exploitative than nickel and diming your customers.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm failing to see how leveling faster is paying to win. You can already do it two times as fast with RAF, granted with a bit more effort.

I don't see any complaints about RAF leveling. Why are there complaints and worries about a possible RLC bought exp boost? Is it because of the fear of having it snowball into more than just exp boosts?
Greed eh? Paying a monthly subscription isn't enough for Blizzard, now they want to add an in game store for people to pay MORE money to get ahead? And you wonder why you are losing so many subscriptions.

Hey I don't know if you realized this but...

You already pay $$ on top of your sub for name/realm/faction/race changes.
You also already pay (optionally) real $$ for the pets and mounts available from the Blizzard Store.

It is the goal of a business to make money.
Micro-transactions are a great way to make money as proved by RIOT and other companies that create cash shops for their games.

But hey if you don't like it... there's the door, don't let it hit you on the way out.
100 Pandaren Monk

Finally my never ending bitterness over not being able to order Pizza Hut pizza directly in game might be coming to a satisfying and tasty end.
88 Human Death Knight
Thats because it is. The moment you can buy something other then a membership its pay to win, technically we are paying blizzard to win already anyway so im not sure what the big deal is.

In the strictest sense, Pay to Win is being able to buy items that grant someone a legitimate advantage in power over people who do not buy them. If the item is implemented, as-is, there's no change to player power, just leveling quicker. Damage/healing output and whatnot are wholly unaffected.

It's a placeholder to test a system from what I gathered from Z's statement.

I'm not saying we should run in circles screaming the sky is falling, but we should be on the lookout for dark ominous clouds.

I'm thinking the system will be a safer route to buying pets and whatnot on the Blizzard store, since the mobile/web armory exploits. I'm holding off judgment until I see actual things like "Increased Gold/JP/VP Gain for $5!", directly selling gold, or directly selling gear- things that actually grant players an advantage over others- before worrying. I do trust that Blizzard isn't desperate or stupid enough to do that...though that's slightly tempered by memories of when they proposed to bring RealID to the forums...
93 Worgen Rogue
im not QQing, in fact i find it strange how the the non US/EU regions keep geting these ways to make the game easier for them, first the multiple raid lockouts per week thing, now possibly this.

Finally my never ending bitterness over not being able to order Pizza Hut pizza directly in game might be coming to a satisfying and tasty end.

There is a pay to win model I could support! Well done.
100 Draenei Paladin
this is my main btw, keep on forgetting to change back to this one since it picks one at random when i post XPD
87 Tauren Druid
07/03/2013 05:40 PMPosted by Sunglao

Is it bad that I got that reference?
100 Night Elf Rogue
I Is it because of the fear of having it snowball into more than just exp boosts?

thats it exactly
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]