5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

90 Pandaren Monk
07/03/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Walkerbo
We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

Hopefully this means it will be available as an in game item purchased within game, not as an item purchased outside of the game.
real cash item from the real store.

Is your name a reference to a certain Druid in the Shannara franchise?
92 Night Elf Rogue
More and more free to play style crappy ideas via the online store and similar. The game needs slower leveling that engages people more, and has some challenges to overcome. Not to be made even easier than it already has become. RAF is bad enough.

That ship has sailed. WoW is 8+ years old. If they try to crank up the difficulty and slow down the leveling now, the players will just leave and go to a newer, fresher game.

Right now, I think the name of the game is get people past the older stuff and into the newer, more fashionable areas of the map before they bail and go to another mmo.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if level 55 (aka DKs) becomes the defacto starting level before too long.
100 Pandaren Monk
07/03/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Irøh

Hopefully this means it will be available as an in game item purchased within game, not as an item purchased outside of the game.
real cash item from the real store.

Is your name a reference to a certain Druid in the Shannara franchise?

Heh, I assumed she named her character after the famous waffle house.
11 Draenei Paladin
07/03/2013 05:26 PMPosted by Snowfox
As long as you keep it out of American realms we can continue to be friends.

An interesting notion... Say this is applied to China, but not US or EU.

I wonder what people's opinions would be.

My opinion is that as long as it doesn't happen on American realms I could care less about what goes on in the rest of the world.
Edited by Merexx on 7/3/13 6:05 PM (PDT)

Cause paying to get to max level faster is sooooooooo pay to win. Do you people even know what that means? Here's an example of a pay to win MMO. Neverwinter. Every item is BOE, you can convert zen (real money currency) to astral diamonds and buy the best gear in the game without stepping foot into a dungeon. THAT is pay to win. An experience boost isn't.

its like what they planned to do with Real ID if the forums don't flare up and get them to stop this they might as well go P2W and kill the game off.
Edited by Leodin on 7/3/2013 6:09 PM PDT
90 Troll Warlock
Lol

GG Acti-Blizz
90 Orc Death Knight
I hope it does happen. Anything to get away from the grindy model of leveling. After 8+ years, 9 alts stuck at 85 and one at 81, I have had it with leveling. Other games had better models, for instance, in Tabula Rasa, you could clone your character at 15 and then choose between two classes. That way you didn't have to level again to 15 to choose.
90 Human Death Knight
I want this in the U.S. and I want it now. I also want Elixir of double loot chance. Shut up and take (more of) my money!
90 Human Rogue
Get a free level 80 with recruit a friend but NO, THIS is what people go to war over.
100 Blood Elf Warlock
07/03/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Tyrathius
Hopefully that 'In-Game Store' means a JP or possibly Valor Vendor.

Hopefully, but it could just be a renamed Pet Store.

After all, it's not really a Pet Store anymore if they're going to start selling things besides pets and mounts in it, is it?

The ingame store is probably something like they have in rift, and if they are putting one in game it means this game is going more and more like the f2p model. I will not be buying the next expac if it does.
43 Troll Druid
Get a free level 80 with recruit a friend but NO, THIS is what people go to war over.

Yea well, RAF isn't available to everyone, just people who want to join the game (and you don't pay for it, only the joining party does)

It also opens the doors for a crap load of other "items"
11 Draenei Paladin

This is different because it sets a precedent and paves the way for a full on pay to win aspect to WoW. It starts with xp boosts and ends with best in slot armor and weapons and exclusive paid access to content.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I was gonna be upset, but then I remembered recruit a friend has had this exact thing for years.

There is a line, but I dont think this crosses it.
90 Goblin Shaman
We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

Oh no. This is how it started with EQ2 as well.

Do I really have to look for another game again? I wont play anything that thinks it can start charging a monthly fee AND microtransactions.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Please. Don´t do it.

In game store is a terrible approach.
90 Human Rogue
07/03/2013 06:21 PMPosted by Judgernaught

This is different because it sets a precedent and paves the way for a full on pay to win aspect to WoW. It starts with xp boosts and ends with best in slot armor and weapons and exclusive paid access to content.

You mean like how my friend used recruit a friend to start MoP with a level 80 monk?
100 Night Elf Rogue
I have mixed feelings about this. While like some others I have reservations about any new foray into the world of pay-for items, this doesn't have to be a bad thing. So here are some things to consider:

1. Is experience an advantage? People have mentioned that there is BOA gear, but BOA gear is advantage that only some people have. A brand new player isn't going to have a full compliment of BOA experience boosts, so really this elixir would actually bring more of a balance for people who want to experience end game without spending large quantities of time to get there. And really, isn't the majority of what we do and pay our subscription fees for the stuff that happens at max level? Experience boosters provide no benefit once you get there.

2. Will items like these be an excuse to charge for things that should be automatically included in the game? Blizzard will ultimately have to answer this question, if not with words than with actions. It's a definite fear (or concern) that rather than do things like the recent reduction in XP needed to level for MoP, Blizzard might instead simply have a sale on experience boosters at the store. Nobody likes to feel they are being made to pay additional fees for things they should already have, so this is a real Wind Bomb sitting in the room. Tread carefully.

3. Many services that could be offered in the game could actually create a positive benefit for those of us who play long term. Personally, I think the line would need to be drawn in the area of "niche" items. I will explain.
A "niche" item would be an item that a small percentage of the player base as a whole would use, both before and after the addition to the store. This automatically precludes any item that offers player power or performance. Such items would be used by any serious player, as well as a lot of semi-casual players, so they would become a requirement of anyone not wanting to be labeled as a noob (or maybe a "freebie"). However for example if there was an item such as say, something that gives you the appearance of having vampire fangs. If it were available for free in the game, some people would use it. Others would not. If you added such an item to the store, the results would be the same; a few players would buy it and a great many would not. This is the perfect balance you want for real-money purchases in-game.

Basically, the best kind of items for real-money purchases would be the exact same types of items available via the loot cards from the CCG's: Special mounts (which are already available), companion pets (also already available), and fun knick-knacks like the Foam Sword Rack that enhance the player experience while having absolutely no impact on the actual game experience itself.

Edited for typos.
Edited by Lubricious on 7/3/2013 6:29 PM PDT
The browser extensions added to WoW now make sense.
62 Human Death Knight
Edited by Gunnólfr on 9/4/2013 5:19 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]