5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

100 Human Death Knight
SnP
How long until...
"Help someone got on my account and bought everything in the in-game store!"
86 Night Elf Death Knight
They didn't listen to the mountains of threads created in protest of CRZ. We saw what they were trying to do with the real names on the forums/Facebook fiasco. There's a lot of people who don't trust Blizzard anymore because of this. If they actually put a store in the game UI that sells items that gives one player an advantage over another, they are going to chase a lot of people away. That would also be the last straw for me, personally.
Edited by Manticora on 7/11/2013 9:59 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Druid
It was never innocuous. It was always there to try to coerce players into continuing to do daily quests even after they had reached their desired/needed reputation level through the use of guilt over missed opportunities. It was always designed to be a carrot for continuing to participate in content than would normally be ignored by much of the player base once the gate had been passed.

Yes, that's called "virtual pain" and wouldn't you pay $1.99/wk to skip it?

They were already setting you up by giving you the pain so they can remove it for a "convenience fee" price.

The game was better when the charms and "extra chances" weren't in the game and now we are gonna double regret it.

Sadly, we all know there is nothing we can really do to stop it.
Edited by Kurston on 7/11/2013 10:22 AM PDT
Sadly, we all know there is nothing we can really do to stop it.

Well the option to cancel hasn't been removed. An option that I suspect many of the long time players will use.
The game was better when the charms and "extra chances" weren't in the game and now we are gonna double regret it.

Are we still going to have to listen to the apologists chanting "RNG is RNG"? Or is it "RNG is $$$" now?

"BY THE POWER OF VISA!!!"
10 Troll Warlock
They were already setting you up by giving you the pain so they can remove it for a "convenience fee" price.
I actually honestly think they thought that people complaining they had nothing to do in Cata could be solved by making everything into a huge time investment and by offering incentives for people to log on every day (dailies and the valor from them, extra valor from the first dungeon and scenario of the day) and keep people doing them through offering what were at launch rewards exclusive to daily quests (those charms for extra rolls). Remember they also thought we weren't properly invested in our mains, and once again a way to pressure people into sticking with a single character is to increase the time investment it a single character's basic upkeep. That their whole idea behind increasing pain was to increase character and game investment rather than to turn around and sell us ways to skip it.

Or maybe I'm in denial. I dunno anymore.
86 Night Elf Death Knight

New meme
100 Tauren Death Knight

New meme

No kidding...

Purchasing, or allowing people to purchase an XP boost is stupid.

However, giving someone a 24hr account wide xp boost for purchasing a service from Blizz like a race change or the likes, I could go with...maybe...

Just don't go Pay2Win blizz...please don't...
100 Night Elf Druid
Just found another well written and great read on the Free-to-Play model. It definitely helps us understand why a game company might go free-to-play and the models they might choose.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134825/the_fwords_of_mmos_freetoplay.php?print=1

In summary,

• The subscription model on a grinding game doesn't work for people with money and no time.
  • The "energy model" cuts off revenue from "whales" because they don't have to buy more.
  • The "convenience mode" - "design a game that is as inconvenient as possible so that we can sell convenience to players" ... but... "Most game designers I know didn't get into this industry to make games that people loathe so much they pay real money to not have to play it." (THIS IS WHERE BLIZZ IS HEADING WITH CHARMS AND POTIONS OF XP)

Paraphrasing his conclusion: His key about massive player-base games being about the PEOPLE and social networking. People that want to play with other people and meet people and have time to play with people.

IMO, I think this is one of the reasons LFR and LFD has hurt AND helped WoW. It has helped because it is a subscription model, but it has hurt because it has dampened the social aspect of the game.

Edit... fixed typos/dups.
Edited by Kurston on 7/11/2013 11:40 AM PDT
11 Draenei Paladin

I completely agree, in fact until this last week I never could see the reason why they even existed, because I wasn't buying the official reasons, the game got along fine for years with one chance at loot per boss.
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Well according to that article LoL doesn't *fully* fall into any of those categories - perhaps Blizzard will be smart about this and not put things into our region that people find inappropriate?

They ARE known for taking existing models that work and improving them - so I hope they would do the same thing with this.

The XP potions and Coins may be expected/demanded by Asian players but no one asked for that here. I would hope they are smart enough to do this with finesse so as not to disrupt the player base too much - but I do feel that seeing at least vanity items in an in-game shop is inevitable.

For all we know Charms and XP potions will never make it to NA/EU but tons of vanity pets and TCG-like items will.

The thing that would make me wary is the price point for hearthstone cards - 1$ for 5 digital cards is what people seem to think it will be. It seems a bit high but that's just my opinion.
100 Night Elf Druid
07/11/2013 11:48 AMPosted by Sef
Well according to that article LoL doesn't *fully* fall into any of those categories - perhaps Blizzard will be smart about this and not put things into our region that people find inappropriate?

We can only hope at this point, that you are correct.

But as he said, LoL purchases are completely cosmetic which is what WoW has also done thus far. Coins and XP are not cosmetic, they are in the "convenience" category which to me is the MOST loathsome category since it encourages paying to alleviate pain.

We must beg Blizzard to find ways to make the game more fun rather than more painful such that we want to pay and skip parts of it.

What I see coming is a split model... sub model and free-to-play being inched in as they raise the trial level up a little at a time or even all the way.... like Rift.

My friends and I don't really care, A cash shop has always been around, and getting extra charms means nothing as long as the cap is in place.

If they remove the cap, a problem will happen.

Sooo until that time, people need to chill and wait to see.

It isn't the cap... they will make the charms drop less often and increase your pain until the right number of players buy them.
Edited by Kurston on 7/11/2013 12:06 PM PDT
100 Night Elf Rogue
It isn't the cap... they will make the charms drop less often and increase your pain until the right number of players buy them.

Source for this information please?
10 Troll Warlock
07/11/2013 11:46 AMPosted by Judgernaught

I completely agree, in fact until this last week I never could see the reason why they even existed, because I wasn't buying the official reasons, the game got along fine for years with one chance at loot per boss.
As a carrot to get you to do your dailies and make you feel guilty for not doing them and thus missing out on extra rolls for lewts. Blizzard wants you to log in everyday to click your cows, but has decided that you can now skip cow clicking for a fee.
90 Orc Hunter
people need to chill and wait to see.

No. People need to scream and scream loud. Let the river of our tears be to the cash shop as the un-dammed river was to the furnaces of Orthanc.

Buying convenience = buying time = buying power. I have 1200 lesser charms on this character, but some of my alts have none and will be using insignias to get their rep.

If the name of the game is either do worthless dailies for 3 weeks to build a stock of lesser charms or pay 5$ to get the same amount then this game is forever ruined.
90 Goblin Mage
this thread needs to stay alive.
Not playing this game if a "Cartel Market" type thing is introduced. I really, really hope Blizzard does not go through with this.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]