5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

90 Human Mage
When people objected to pets and mounts in the store because it would lead to pay2win we were mocked, abused and promised the Almighty Blizzard was perfect and would never do such a thing on the forums by the Blizzard worshipers.

I disagree that pets and mounts are an issue, nor do they lead to a slipper slope unless you're thinking this slope moves like a glacier.

I also don't mind the Asian market getting a cash shop due to some of the differences in how they pay for subs in China and Korea.

I do have an issue with lesser charms and xp buffs and possibly future other things being sold in the NA market. We all have our line in the sand and this is mine.
90 Night Elf Druid
Lesser Charms are perfectly...

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Moneti
zation_Tricks.php

Premium Currencies

To maximize the efficacy of a coercive monetization model, you must use a premium currency, ideally with the ability to purchase said currency in-app. Making the consumer exit the game to make a purchase gives the target's brain more time to figure out what you are up to, lowering your chances of a sale. If you can set up your game to allow “one button conversion”, such as in many iOS games, then obviously this is ideal. The same effect is seen in real world retail stores where people buying goods with cash tend to spend less than those buying with credit cards, due to the layering effect.

Purchasing in-app premium currency also allows the use of discounting, such that premium currency can be sold for less per unit if it is purchased in bulk. Thus a user that is capable of doing basic math (handled in a different part of the brain that develops earlier) can feel the urge to “save money” by buying more. The younger the consumer, the more effective this technique is, assuming they are able to do the math. Thus you want to make the numbers on the purchase options very simple, and you can also put banners on bigger purchases telling the user how much more they will “save” on big purchases to assist very young or otherwise math-impaired customers.

Having the user see their amount of premium currency in the interface is also much less anxiety generating, compared to seeing a real money balance. If real money was used (no successful game developer does this) then the consumer would see their money going down as they play and become apprehensive. This gives the consumer more opportunities to think and will reduce revenues.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I for one like the Idea ,it will give new comers a great start .know one has to buy it if they don't want it ..I would love to see it all available to buy ,what I read in here most is peeps scared of someone getting the edge on them and there will be no need for cheats or hacking ..lol Be a better player without all the cheats and hacking going on ..eh
90 Troll Druid
Now I Know why the LFR was implemented... It was the previous step to release the in game store where people could buy they gear (hey, it is not an instant access to LFR gear level but rest assured that you will be spending money to odd your chances and get your gear).

What does not still make snse is the CRZ and VR...
I for one like the Idea ,it will give new comers a great start .

Exp boosts aren't typically geared towards new players - in a game like WoW they're for players that have done the content several times and are tired of it and want to make their 10th time faster.

The option is there, but I doubt the idea is for players that are new to skip the bulk of the game so they can hit the point where they're waiting for content.
90 Night Elf Rogue
As to this moment I have read a lot of "wow killers" topics in forums but being honest, wow is the only wow killer.

P2W has been a succesful model in ASIA where people LIVE their lives on line and have no RL, but that is not the case of Europe and America.

I am for one that if the game goes P2W will not be here around anymore, I guess i will go back to play Dota1 or just stop playing the game... Or even better, I will go back to TCG as yugioh where it is well known that competitive decks that can win tournaments are very expensive (around 900 bucks in Ecuador where I live).

Be careful where you stand activision, because the moment you take a path where 8M suscribers still play the game and doing mathematics 15usd... After a f2p p2w model how knows how many suscribers will be left and more important than that... Is your database of players the kind of playersd that has lots of money to spends in the most advanced systems to play? NO.
NO, becuase you have stated a lot of times that wow hasn't actualized their graphics core system because they want a game that can be played in almost every computer and a nt so demanding environment menaning that most players in your database don't have enough money to get a better computer, nor they will have enough money to p2w.

I am for the one that will not go down that road.

It is worth pointing out that Activision has zero say in what Blizzard does then. They are a sister company to Blizzard and both are owned by Vivendi.
90 Troll Druid
Ok the it is blizzard, but the important thing was not the company, the topic is what tey are doing.....
This entire expansion was built on the premise that convenience is bad. From reversing auto-learned flight paths, to no flight until 90, to putting tier token turn in NPC's in B.F.E., to placing PvP vendors in non-nonsensical locations, to scattering valor vendors across the continent, to making Justice gear a non-viable choice, to placing gear under four different reputation gates, two of which are gated by another reputation, to reputation gains that are less than half of what non-Pandaren factions reward this expansion is all about being as inconvenient as it thinks it can get away with. You can even go to GC's Twitter and enjoy tweets concerning the evils of convenience.

Why, oh wise one, why is convenience suddenly good when it comes at an extra real life cash premium in a game we're already paying a premium to play? Why spend so much time designing away the convenience because it's bad only to sell it for cash which supposedly makes it good? Why is convenience only acceptable when they charge extra for it?
90 Night Elf Rogue
Ok the it is blizzard, but the important thing was not the company, the topic is what tey are doing.....

We at this time have very limited information as to what will be in the store in Asian markets and what will be in the store in other regions. I'm not going to decide one way or the other until I see more information.
90 Night Elf Druid
07/12/2013 12:05 PMPosted by Mythox

We at this time have very limited information as to what will be in the store in Asian markets and what will be in the store in other regions. I'm not going to decide one way or the other until I see more information.

They have said lesser charms... you can extrapolate easily where that heads.
86 Goblin Hunter
Sub + ingame cash shop = 1 less sub.

Good luck guys. I wish you all the best.
This entire expansion was built on the premise that convenience is bad. From reversing auto-learned flight paths, to no flight until 90, to putting tier token turn in NPC's in B.F.E., to placing PvP vendors in non-nonsensical locations, to scattering valor vendors across the continent, to making Justice gear a non-viable choice, to placing gear under four different reputation gates, two of which are gated by another reputation, to reputation gains that are less than half of what non-Pandaren factions reward this expansion is all about being as inconvenient as it thinks it can get away with. You can even go to GC's Twitter and enjoy tweets concerning the evils of convenience.Why, oh wise one, why is convenience suddenly good when it comes at an extra real life cash premium in a game we're already paying a premium to play? Why spend so much time designing away the convenience because it's bad only to sell it for cash which supposedly makes it good? Why is convenience only acceptable when they charge extra for it?

I'll be very interested to see what they offer here in the company store. We pay by the month, for unlimited time, everyone pays the same, and it's a level playing field. They start selling items that change that relationship, well...that's literally a game changer.

When you look at the added complexity, tediousness, inconvenience, and grinding for the sake of grinding they've introduced into the game in the last 10 months or so with MoP, you just have to go "WTF?". I suspect we're just now seeing the tip of the "WTF" iceberg.

We'll see what comes with 5.4. If it's convenient fixes sold in the store, for deliberately introduced elements of the game...then we'll all know exactly where we stand.

"BY THE POWER OF VISA!!!"
Edited by Jamesfisk on 7/12/2013 1:07 PM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
Personally I cancelled my sub because I do not like the direction this can take the game. I encourage others to speak with their money as well.
11 Draenei Paladin
I for one like the Idea ,it will give new comers a great start .know one has to buy it if they don't want it ..I would love to see it all available to buy ,what I read in here most is peeps scared of someone getting the edge on them and there will be no need for cheats or hacking ..lol Be a better player without all the cheats and hacking going on ..eh

You win the prize for most short sighted post on this subject in the whole thread, congratulations!

The real reason this is alarming is because the developers will start to engineer the game in such a way as to sell items from the store.
10 Troll Warlock
This entire expansion was built on the premise that convenience is bad. From reversing auto-learned flight paths, to no flight until 90, to putting tier token turn in NPC's in B.F.E., to placing PvP vendors in non-nonsensical locations, to scattering valor vendors across the continent, to making Justice gear a non-viable choice, to placing gear under four different reputation gates, two of which are gated by another reputation, to reputation gains that are less than half of what non-Pandaren factions reward this expansion is all about being as inconvenient as it thinks it can get away with. You can even go to GC's Twitter and enjoy tweets concerning the evils of convenience.

Why, oh wise one, why is convenience suddenly good when it comes at an extra real life cash premium in a game we're already paying a premium to play? Why spend so much time designing away the convenience because it's bad only to sell it for cash which supposedly makes it good? Why is convenience only acceptable when they charge extra for it?

It was like 12:30am when I wrote that, and that should say PvP vendors are in nonsensical locations, not non-nonsensical. It should also be noted that they require flying to reach.

It should also also be noted (also) that this was in response to Xanzul concerning the branding of these items as "Pay for Convenience" as opposed to "Pay to Win." He has a point in that calling these P2W is probably not the best route to arguing against them because the definition of P2W will always slide upwards.

No, you're not buying any more chances at extra rolls than you get currently without spending cash, you're buying a way to circumvent the grinding designed into the system that gates those extra rolls. No, You're not winning with +100% exp gains, you are paying to circumvent a leveling experience that is long, grindy and lacking in replay value by design.

So when developers ostensibly decide that players are leaving because they don't 'have enough to do' and attempt to remedy that by designing away convenience to (supposedly) make players more invested in the game and their characters turning around and then offering convenience for sale either indicates this expansion was more or less a set up for non-vanity item sales or they realized they misread the audience and have no graceful way to solve the issue.

Or, as I really, truly hope, that stuff is for PC bangs in Asia and won't be interfering with a game we pay to play because we want a level playing field.
90 Night Elf Druid
07/12/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Jamesfisk
We'll see what comes with 5.4. If it's convenient fixes sold in the store, for deliberately introduced elements of the game...then we'll all know exactly where we stand.

Some how I doubt 5.4 will reveal the final intent. The process they are proposing has to be gradual or the game plan doesn't get met. It took a couple years to get from selling pets/mounts to now talking XP in a bottle or removing the grind for "extra chances".

However, Blizzcon, on the other hand, will likely have some very revealing plans.
turning around and then offering convenience for sale either indicates this expansion was more or less a set up for non-vanity item sales or they realized they misread the audience and have no graceful way to solve the issue.

There's the rub. Incompetence, bad design choices, I personally can accept. Sh!t happens. In the past, Blizz generally has caught the most grevious mistakes, slapped some bandaids on, and everything has worked out, more or less. WoW has lived and moved on.

With MoP, we've seen bad design glorified and embraced. Inconvenience touted as a virtue. If that added complexity, tediousness, inconvenience, and grinding for the sake of grinding was intentionally inserted, just to set us up for an in-game store, as part of a long term corporate marketing plan...then I strongly suspect Blizz finally has developed the ultimate "WoW-killer". Stick a fork in it if people have been playing an intentionally kludged up game for the last 10 months just so Blizz can stick a hand in their pocket a little deeper.

07/12/2013 02:08 PMPosted by Kurston
Some how I doubt 5.4 will reveal the final intent.

Not a problem, and all to the better. At least 3 very promising games are in the pipeline, out this year. Wildstar, for example, looks both fun and entertaining. If Blizz manages to kill WoW with this, by the time they succeed, there will be other options. Hopefully.

"BY THE POWER OF VISA!!!"
Edited by Jamesfisk on 7/12/2013 2:36 PM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter
07/12/2013 02:08 PMPosted by Kurston

Some how I doubt 5.4 will reveal the final intent. The process they are proposing has to be gradual or the game plan doesn't get met. It took a couple years to get from selling pets/mounts to now talking XP in a bottle or removing the grind for "extra chances".

However, Blizzcon, on the other hand, will likely have some very revealing plans.

I agree they will start small and slowly add things over time that push slightly further each time.

Of course the people who support Blizzard will keep telling us we are jumping to conclusions and things are still fine until the final rug is pulled out from under them also.

It has always been true. Only Blizzard can kill Wow. They really are trying hard to do it.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Can you just let us buy lvl 85 or higher characters?

Maybe I should ask Vivendi instead.
90 Human Paladin
You are right on one type point. People kicked up a stink then forget/ignored it and blizzard went on their merry way. The same thing happened with CRZ. That went on for weeks, many massive threads about it. But that died down over time as well.

Some more people left - I myself have stopped leveling alts in crz land.

All they would learn from all this, people may kick up a stink. But over time they forget about it and go with it. They know they could bring this in, how many people would quit is something else. I doubt its as many as people are saying here.

That's the gamble - if they make more money in the end it doesn't matter to them how many subs are lost - some more people will leave.

Everyone should watch the milking that is about to come.

I have been feeling like I am getting less for my money with every patch - feels like milking :)

Though I have a crazy theory, blizzard want to destroy WoW. Then they can move everything into their titan game. Milk as much from people for the next 2-3 years, make the game worse and worse overtime. People will really start wanting a new game. Even with all the other MMOs out there nothing has even come close to how many subs this has. Rift was seemly the best, holding down subs for 2 years before turning F2P; The main reason I think people don't quit WoW is the amount of time they have put into it, the same thing when Titan hits, takes a lot to go to a new game. Unless the old game is utter crap compared to the new one.

When there are not enough people to make it fun to play it will be GAME OVER.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]