5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

100 Worgen Death Knight
We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses

as long as it's buyable with ingame currency, rather than real life dollars It's fine. doubling experience is a legitimate advantage, no in game advantages for buying currency please
90 Blood Elf Warlock
@Vellestina

Ahh, hello again shill. Seems you're doing exemplary work tonight. I see you took me off ignore pretty quick. Such a pity, I was enjoying some peace and quiet. Ah, well, nothing lasts forever they say.

Oh, yes, there are 'alternatives'. But why isn't the xp potion in-game*? Why aren't the helmets in-game?

For that matter, it seems to me it's time to re-examine the need for the pet shop and mount shop as well since they are now proven to be indicative of things to come, just like we warned they would be when they were first introduced.

So...outside of charity pets, which I understand and agree with, why isn't any of this available in-game. At this point, I think a justification for the existence of -any- cash shop is a requirement.

*Technically, it is in-game, but the additive effects would exceed what is currently available.
Edited by Prini on 7/15/2013 2:21 AM PDT
171 pages to QQ about a buy-able XP potion/buff from the pet store? Really people? You can already get a XP potion in game. You can recruit a friend and get an XP buff while grouping. But to make it easier than farming a rare, or making a 2nd account they want to add it to the store, but you guys think this will break the game....Really? Come on guys.

And on the Helms, again QQ about cosmetics? FFS really?
1 Worgen Mage
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/micro-transactions-betray-players
90 Orc Hunter
171 pages to QQ about a buy-able XP potion/buff from the pet store? Really people? You can already get a XP potion in game. You can recruit a friend and get an XP buff while grouping. But to make it easier than farming a rare, or making a 2nd account they want to add it to the store, but you guys think this will break the game....Really? Come on guys.

And on the Helms, again QQ about cosmetics? FFS really?

1. Not the pet store, a new IN-GAME store. The store is the focal point of the QQ, not the items currently expected to be on it.

2. If the items currently slated to be on the IN-GAME store are successful (they will be, this is the country that made the Doritos Locos Taco a huge success) then more and more of the game will be focused on the store rather than the game itself.

3. Up until this point Blizzard has been able to make a justifiable profit from simply selling access to their servers via the 15/mo premium (with some side income via paid services and pet shop), thus the game's largest determining factor has been time. If the store is successful enough, the determining factor will become "Blizzard Bucks" and all areas of the game will exist to funnel people into the shop.

4. Blizzard is a publicly traded corporation which means that it has a LEGAL OBLIGATION to turn as big a profit as it can without losing too much GOOD WILL. If the IN-GAME store is successful, it will be Blizzard's LAWFUL DUTY to continue selling more and more items on it. That is the law according to the rules. We QQ because we don't want the store, but we also know it is futile.
90 Dwarf Shaman
07/14/2013 11:17 PMPosted by Magnaeus
What's the downside to blizzard adding these sort of items (such as the XP boost)?

No one should need to pay real money for these items. We already pay a subscription fee. If Blizzard wants to make leveling even faster than it already is, they can add more items like heirlooms and flasks that are bought with in-game currency.

Why do you want to spend real money on items you could get by actually playing the game?
100 Blood Elf Hunter
What's the downside to blizzard adding these sort of items (such as the XP boost)?

-- so you don't want to level faster -- answer: don't buy it
-- so you don't want to have other's level faster than you? -- answer: why?
-- so you don't want to pay for items? answer: don't pay for them
-- other's might pay for the item and gain a buff. answer: it doesnt hurt you.
-- blizzard is making money off this. answer: um..yeah. how does this affect you?
-- this will lead to more in game, game changing items, pay 2 play etc. answer: it hasn't yet...you don't know that. if it does, quit then.

1- I wouldn't
2-because it would take away from the pool of people to BG\LFD\Quest with(also less people out in world to PVP with on a PVP server if they just speed though and level even faster than everyone else).
3 -I wouldn't
4-sure it does see #2
5-give blizzard incentive to make the leveling more grindy and charms rarer.
6-people said the same thing about the mount\pet store to that's just 100% wrong on all accounts (and Charms are game changing it's gives a clear advantage over those who do not do daily's and also cuts back on people out the world see #2 which changes the game for everyone else)
Edited by Dadwen on 7/15/2013 4:37 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Hunter

Good one
follows the link on the bottom to
http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/02/20/gdc08-live-from-rob-pardo-talks-about-blizzards-approach-to-mm/

near the bottom in the Q&A on that link.
From Rob Pardo, Blizzard's Senior Vice President of Game Design.

Q: Have you considered micro-transacrtions in WoW?
    A: We chose to go with the subscription-based model instead of that approach. We've taken the approach that we want players to feel like it's a level playing field once they're in WoW. Outside resources don't play into it -- no gold buying, etc. We take a hard line stance against it. What you get out of microtransactions is kind of the same thing and I think our player base would feel betrayed by it. I think that's something else you have to decide on up-front instead of implementing later.
100 Human Priest

lol, really. You're going to quote an article from over 5 years ago, that is a lifetime in the gaming world.

I really don't like the thought of micro-transactions, but it's the gaming world we live in. I think that the majority of the forum posters are against this. But you all aren't the majority of the player base. I saw that they sold over 190,000 of the pet for the Japan earthquake relief. No company in their right mind is going to leave that kind of money on the table.

Games evolve like most things do in life.
86 Night Elf Death Knight
07/15/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Chelan

lol, really. You're going to quote an article from over 5 years ago, that is a lifetime in the gaming world.

I really don't like the thought of micro-transactions, but it's the gaming world we live in. I think that the majority of the forum posters are against this. But you all aren't the majority of the player base. I saw that they sold over 190,000 of the pet for the Japan earthquake relief. No company in their right mind is going to leave that kind of money on the table.

Just because greed from the top is a powerful motivator of change in a company's principles and direction, it does not change the fact that many players would still feel betrayed. The essence of the article holds true. Their principles and priorities are changing, and it's a little sad, especially since the line they drew in the sand has been erased. Who knows where the line is anymore? How far are they going to take this?

That said, I am fine with cosmetic items in the store. Just a bit irritated that some of the better looking gear (subjective - perhaps the better words would be higher detailed and more brightly colored) may now be put in store instead of there being an alternate way in game to get it. Either way, it is still cosmetic and does not affect game-play. It's the selling of game currency and character enhancements, and the likelihood of an intrusive in-game shop, that have people up in arms.
Edited by Manticora on 7/15/2013 8:05 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Hunter
07/15/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Chelan

So what makes it any less true, before anyone even posted the link, I've seen people use the term that they Felt "betrayed" by the in game store micro-transaction ideas, plus most people are willing to buy something extra if it's for a good cause more so than lining a company's wallet so you can't really compare.
100 Human Priest
07/15/2013 07:23 AMPosted by Buttmonger
Money gets an oil baron elected to continue their stranglehold on the economy, money gets a pro-israeli president elected to keep turmoil in the mid-east

It's official, this thread has gone off the deep end lol.

And yea, you're kinda right. What Blizzard is doing is about money. Last time I looked, most companies were in it to make money.
Edited by Chelan on 7/15/2013 7:39 AM PDT
86 Night Elf Death Knight
07/15/2013 07:37 AMPosted by Chelan
Money gets an oil baron elected to continue their stranglehold on the economy, money gets a pro-israeli president elected to keep turmoil in the mid-east

It's official, this thread has gone off the deep end lol.

And yea, you're kinda right. What Blizzard is doing is about money. Last time I looked, most companies were in it to make money.

Money talks - businesses, governments, politics, you name it.

Sure, a business is welcome to make every dollar they can. But they should also try not to disappoint a big chunk of their customers with controversial or questionable practices. Retention and trust is an important part of running a business, too.
100 Human Mage

-- so you don't want to level faster -- answer: don't buy it
-- so you don't want to have other's level faster than you? -- answer: why?
-- so you don't want to pay for items? answer: don't pay for them
-- other's might pay for the item and gain a buff. answer: it doesnt hurt you.
-- blizzard is making money off this. answer: um..yeah. how does this affect you?
-- this will lead to more in game, game changing items, pay 2 play etc. answer: it hasn't yet...you don't know that. if it does, quit then.

I don't see anything wrong with the in-game store. I don't plan on using, but could care less if others do.

And, in the uinlikely event it gets to the point where it affects my enjoyment of the game, I can always just cancel by subscription.
90 Human Monk
http://mentalunlockdown.com/2013/07/14/the-krabs-within-or-ramblings-and-concerns-about-the-wow-in-game-store/

Just my thoughts on the subject (and a little shameless blog plug, heh).

TL;DR - There are several legitimate concerns, but I'm not totally against the idea of the in-game store. My main concern is for the subscribers -- there really should be a loyalty system in place like other MMOs with IGSs have.
90 Human Paladin
171 pages later :P
90 Pandaren Hunter
This is perfect for someone like me though. I just bought the game the day Mists launched so this is my only max lvl toon. I don't want to spend the entire expansion working up alts for professions etc. I want to enjoy it and have the time to work on some of the older content for mounts and pets etc etc as well. I almost didn't buy the game for just that fact. It took a whole lot of convincing on my husbands part to get me into it once I saw what I was facing just to be able to play end game content. Not to mention, we have 2 kids under 2 years old. I'm lucky if I get to play 2 hours a day at most. I would love it if they made the game a little more friendly to someone in our situation.
Edited by Kimatatsi on 7/15/2013 9:07 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This is perfect for someone like me though. I just bought the game the day Mists launched so this is my only max lvl toon. I don't want to spend the entire expansion working up alts for professions etc. I want to enjoy it and have the time to work on some of the older content for mounts and pets etc etc as well. I almost didn't buy the game for just that fact. It took a whole lot of convincing on my husbands part to get me into it once I saw what I was facing just to be able to play end game content. Not to mention, we have 2 kids under 2 years old. I'm lucky if I get to play 2 hours a day at most. I would love it if they made the game a little more friendly to someone in our situation.

Why don't you just have your husbands toons help you with proffesions.
You can farm old content right now on that toon.
How are you not enjoying the game, didn't know it required a in game cash store to be enjoyable.
The game is cake walk easy, if you only have 2 hours a day to play then you really aren't done with current content or old content farming as you say. So why would you need more?
90 Undead Warlock

based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved

Yea and this is not an F2P game. You know that old slippery slope argument? Well this will send you slipping and sliding all the way down because this is the exact thing players feared when it was first introduced.

When you get requests for something your first notion should be a way to put it in game for all players, not for your store. You know.... the way it used to be before you made the store. I've always thought blizzard was better than most companies toward their customers but this is just another scumbag anti consumer move that seemingly the entire gaming industry is moving towards.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]