5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

90 Gnome Priest
There should be no cash shop in or out of the game.

Blizzard makes an obscene amount of money from this game. They make far more than they can actually spend on its development.

Blizzard is on record as saying that the bottleneck to their development isn't money, it's staff time, because they can't hire enough people that they feel will fit into the culture.

The consequence of these two facts is that everything in the cash shop is something that could have been in the game and available via gameplay, but was instead removed from it and placed on the cash shop for a premium price.

It is pure greed and people should avoid supporting it. By supporting it you're only legitimising and encouraging taking things out of the game and placing them on the cash shop.

I agree with you but looking at the posts from people in these forums it seems that there are plenty of people out there willing to spend money on these items that should be included in your sub to begin with. So I'd expect the cash shop to keep growing since blizz knows that people will keep buying from it. IMO cash shops don't belong in a p2p game, obviously I'm among the minority though.
90 Gnome Priest
There should be no cash shop in or out of the game.

Blizzard makes an obscene amount of money from this game. They make far more than they can actually spend on its development.

Blizzard is on record as saying that the bottleneck to their development isn't money, it's staff time, because they can't hire enough people that they feel will fit into the culture.

The consequence of these two facts is that everything in the cash shop is something that could have been in the game and available via gameplay, but was instead removed from it and placed on the cash shop for a premium price.

It is pure greed and people should avoid supporting it. By supporting it you're only legitimising and encouraging taking things out of the game and placing them on the cash shop.

I agree with you but looking at the posts from people in these forums it seems that there are plenty of people out there willing to spend money on these items that should be included in your sub to begin with. So I'd expect the cash shop to keep growing since blizz knows that people will keep buying from it. IMO cash shops don't belong in a p2p game, obviously I'm among the minority though.

I think it can be murky. It's easy to make an argument for it if money is your bottleneck - at the very least, making things for the cash shop isn't taking away from the game in that situation. Blizzard themselves have said that is not the case for them - that their bottleneck is finding people that fit the culture. As a result, everything on the cash shop is something that could have been in the game but was removed from it for greater profit.
40 Draenei Priest
As long as there is an opportunity to make money, no business in it's right mind is going to pass that up.

At what price, though?

You have some of the player base agreeing this is a slippery slope, and will lead into the pits of P2W hell. You have some folks who agree that this is fine, you can choose not to buy, and nothing bad will happen. I don't mind mounts and pets, but when you cross the line and start selling things which do give you an in-game advantage, (xp boost is an in-game advantage) then, I have to say no.

Honestly, when a company decides to make decisions like that, it's a sign that the quick dollar trumps everything, and they've run out of ideas. You can take the absence of new 5 mans as indication of that.

Pro tip: There are some wildly creative ideas flowing around the forums here, just because they are not all not in General, doesn't mean you shouldn't consider them.
90 Troll Hunter
I think Crendor from youtube sums up the in game store idea pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfff6CmMqgI
I recommend canceling your WoW sub if you disagree with the direction Blizzard is taking the game. They have to sell a $15 hat for every month your sub is gone. Now, what this means to people that don't cancel is that Blizzard will probably provide you with plenty more cash shop "options" to ensure you make up for the lost subs. That sounds fun, right?

I could buy a hat or I could buy 1-5 ENTIRE games in the Steam Summer Sale. There's some perspective...
Edited by Bluddy on 7/19/2013 5:38 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Hunter

lol, only problem is it might give blizzard more bad ideas.
90 Night Elf Priest
Susan Express also offered power leveling services a few years ago.

I think this is a bad move.

Edit: I also defeats the purpose of removing automatic flight paths, since we'll be passing up content due to it not being par with our level.
Edited by Ppierre on 7/19/2013 8:07 AM PDT
90 Night Elf Hunter

That was great - Crendor nailed it. lol
90 Orc Warlock
You know what, I think I'm mostly over being annoyed, at least with the tmog helms. I'm working on a new tmog and having fun getting what I need to craft parts of it. If someone wants to bypass that, meh, I mean I'll spend gold in the AH for a quick tmog accessory so if someone would rather use money..meh. Why should I care. It's not much different than a real raider thinking LFR should go when LFR has no impact on them.

I will wait to see what the cash store brings before nerd raging anymore about what is yet to come - which none of us know.

I wanted to add while I personally wouldn't buy anything in the store that was not for charity, if there were a mini-expac I might purchase something like that if it were during WoW's normally boring time (period between last patch and new expac) and it did not take away from normal game development. I'm thinking a boxed mini-expac priced around 19.99 with a bundle of items, including new crafting recipes for xmog, maybe a new scenario where you could collect items for the recipe - I would buy something like that. Just some fun stuff and just a wee bit of content to pass the slow time. Just a thought.
90 Troll Mage
The cash store exists solely to pay for Activision's mistakes, I obviously can't prove it, but I doubt the money it generates goes back into WoW for development.
Edited by Supahotfiyah on 7/19/2013 10:53 AM PDT
87 Night Elf Priest
I personally feel that an in-game cash shop in a MMO that requires you to pay for a sub is blasphemy. If the in-game shop goes live I will lose a lot of respect for Blizzard. In a perfect world the player base would rise up and boycott this move by Blizzard which will then force Blizzard to either A) remove the store or B) remove the sub requirement.

However I am sure there are enough idiots out there who are stupid enough to fork over a sub and $15 for some fancy transmog helms and/or boosts. Those idiots are going to feed the greed of Blizzard and the in-game store will continue to expand and offer new items.
90 Worgen Warrior
I have no problem with the store. There are no (not yet anyway) P2W items in the store. The 5 year old article people are posting here refers to P2W items. I don't think XP boost potions are P2W items. People blow through content to reach cap already. Running dungeons before cap is a joke. The whole thing gets facerolled 1-89. WoW is an End-game MMO.

Don't get me wrong, I have issues with P2W items. I have issues with them in F2P mmos. I hate playing a game and being constantly teased with "essential" items or features. The mog helms are not essential. The XP boost items are hardly essential. The pets and mounts are not essential. Is Blizz going to release content that requires any of these items in order to participate? That's a no. Will they release P2W items while in a subscription MMO model? If they were that stupid, WoW would have died long ago.

Lastly, why get upset that Blizz is trying to generate more money using non-P2W items? I was saddened when Blizz laid off a large part of their work force a little bit ago. My best bud from HS was one of those unfortunate employees. If Blizz wants to start putting more stuff in the store to generate more income and those items don't unbalance the game then I'm all for it.
90 Night Elf Rogue
The cash store exists solely to pay for Activision's mistakes, I obviously can't prove it, but I doubt the money it generates goes back into WoW for development.

I don't really understand this thought process. I mean, I get that you're (as well as others that think this) saying that the money isn't for the benefit of WoW specifically, but... what makes you believe that it's supposed to be?

Blizzard is a for-profit company. They've always been a for-profit company (even before Activision came into the mix). I'm not really sure why people feel that Blizzard is supposed to be some sort of a messiah or symbol of a company who is not out to make profit. It's business and, for as long as they've been around, has always been that way.

Blizzard is a for-profit company. They've always been a for-profit company (even before Activision came into the mix). I'm not really sure why people feel that Blizzard is supposed to be some sort of a messiah or symbol of a company who is not out to make profit. It's business and, for as long as they've been around, has always been that way.

Just because they are a for-profit company doesn't mean gouging their customers is ok. Using that same logic, the oil companies should start charging $10 for a gallon of gas. They should probably reduce their costs by lowering employee wages as well, to ensure maximum profit. After all, they are for-profit companies too.
Edited by Bluddy on 7/19/2013 12:54 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Paladin

Just because they are a for-profit company doesn't mean gouging their customers is ok. Using that same logic, the oil companies should start charging $10 for a gallon of gas. They should probably reduce their costs by lowering employee wages as well, to ensure maximum profit. After all, they are for-profit companies too.

Someone pointed out that analogies are usually bad and this is a good example of why. You do not need the optional items in the store the same way you need gas for one. Second, gas is the gas station primary sale item, for Wow it is the subscription. Gas stations charge competitive rates (relatively) for gas and then charge high prices for optional items like candy and soda.

That completely ignores the bigger problem with your analogy in that gas companies have an incentive to keep gas prices relatively lower in that it doesn't create incentive to explore alternative fuels more than we are now. At $10 a gallon, electric cars would start looking cost effective and the gas companies would actually lose money.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]