5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

90 Dwarf Paladin
07/19/2013 02:47 AMPosted by Awkwardz
agreed

I too can quote out of context.

Not sure where I quoted someone out of context, but OK.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Apples are apples and oranges are oranges. There is no true comparison.

Page 220 and counting.

methinks blizz needs pay attention to this thread .... most do not want cash item store.

Make it or break it time .... what will they do?

Because the 50 or 60 people that make up the majority of this thread's pages totally represent most of the millions that play.

Sounds legit.
If you find out the gas company has been putting water in your gas, to make your car get lousy mileage and run crappy, so they can sell you more gas, fuel additives, injector cleaner, and tune ups, you're going to quit buying your gas there real quick.

Blizz controls EXP leveling requirements and gear drop rates both. Charms/coins were introduced to offset lousy gear drop rates. Blizz can adjust both with a few clicks of the keyboard. Now they're talking selling EXP buffs and charms as "convenience items"...to offset in-game issues they have total control over. Lot of other deliberately introduced "inconveniences" in the game.

And that is what is chapping a lot our heinies. Not to mention, deliberately degrading the game experience in order to develop a market for "convenience items" isn't the "slippery slope"...you've already hit bottom.
Edited by Jamesfisk on 7/19/2013 2:05 PM PDT
100 Draenei Mage
I agree what what he said ^... I understand that their revenue is dropping so they're trying to make it up, like most companies would. But, going to a Pay to Win model will cause more people to quit. I would be okay with occasional vanity armor. I don't' like it, but at least it's not P2W. Charms, on the other hand are total P2W.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
07/19/2013 02:02 PMPosted by Jamesfisk
If you find out the gas company has been putting water in your gas, to make your car get lousy mileage and run crappy, so they can sell you more gas, fuel additives, injector cleaner, and tune ups, you're going to quit buying your gas there real quick.

Because vehicles & the fuel everyone needs to go places is totally the same as your WoW sub.

If you truly feel this way, quit buying the gas (and posting here) & move on.

Blizz controls EXP leveling requirements and gear drop rates both. Charms/coins were introduced to offset lousy gear drop rates. Blizz can adjust both with a few clicks of the keyboard. Now they're talking selling EXP buffs and charms as "convenience items"...to offset in-game issues they have total control over. Lot of other deliberately introduced "inconveniences" in the game.

Yeah, everything the boss has that you can use not dropping all in one kill was totally a concept introduced only by Blizzard to get you into the cash store.

And that is what is chapping a lot our heinies. Not to mention, deliberately degrading the game experience in order to develop a market for "convenience items" isn't the "slippery slope"...you've already hit bottom.

You people, so hilarious.
90 Orc Death Knight

Yeah, everything the boss has that you can use not dropping all in one kill was totally a concept introduced only by Blizzard to get you into the cash store.

yeah if it for that and the xp buff as well, Blizz just spill poison to WoW !

and, oh !@#$ i cant believe it, i will stop playin WoW ..

Hooray !
1 Human Priest
Many have seen too what blizz is like when they focus too much on the money - I'm looking at you Diablo III - it is not hard to picture Blizz embracing extra wow dollars from the Cash Store in the same way. I don't want the game to become a Cash Store with a MMORP attached to it as a secondary concern.
90 Undead Mage
We already pay a $15 subscription why should we have to pay more for extra game features? this is sickening
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I know, why should we pay extra for extra, optional things?

I just found out Ford also makes Mustangs. IF THEY DONT EXCHANGE MY FIESTA FOR A MUSTANG THEY ARE EVIL
100 Blood Elf Warlock
I don't know if anyone else noticed this yet. But the helm is accessible across all characters on your battlenet account, but our boa gear is not. Blizzard was saying they were trying to figure out a way to do this, well apparently they have, but you gotta pay for it. I don't know if they avoided making boa gear account wide because they plan on selling an exp buff in the store or not. But if they can make these helms account wide then they better make our boa gear the same way.
I did some research, I didn't buy the helm but looked at the description.

Here it is.
After you purchase the Jewel of the Firelord, you’ll receive a code that can then be redeemed on any North American Battle.net Account via Battle.net Account Management. North American licenses include realms serving players in United States, Canada, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand. This item code can be emailed to a friend as a gift, or—if you would rather redeem the item code yourself—automatically filled in for you in Battle.net Account Management.

Once activated, this in-game item’s key applies to all present and future World of Warcraft characters on a single North
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm pretty much done grieving over it myself; I'll miss it, but eh, it won't be the first time I've dropped a game flat for moving towards full-featured cash shops and probably won't be the last. That said, however, I'd like to drop off a quick quote from an article I read last night. Now, the overall tone of the article is neutral-to-pro cash shop (which obviously I am not), but this one paragraph stood out to me. I've often made the comparison to the Boiled Frog, and most people seem to dismiss it as so much worry-mongering. With that in mind...

One business analyst had these thoughts: “The pay-to-win gaming model is frowned upon by western players, but an accepted practice in Asia. When we talk about monetization strategies for a FTP game, we talk either about vanity items (which are never game effecting) and time equalizers (which walk the line of game effecting). The time equalizer gives two options: ‘I could spend 5 hours farming this item, or I could give you $10 to buy it.’ In essence this is why gold farming became such a huge industry. Trade time for money. In Asian games they have been doing this for awhile and it doesn't bother them. I think in time we may see a similar change in the Western games, as FTP becomes ubiquitous.”

Here is the article itself. Again, it is neutral-to-pro cash shop.
http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7598/Paying-for-the-Game.html

Pay to win, by its most egregious definition, isn't coming in my opinion (nor have I ever intimated that I thought it would). 'Time equalization', however, doesn't stop until top-tier current content raid gear. The industry itself is -telling- you that's where it wants to go. How you respond is, as always, up to you.
100 Orc Death Knight
I don't know if anyone else noticed this yet. But the helm is accessible across all characters on your battlenet account, but our boa gear is not. Blizzard was saying they were trying to figure out a way to do this, well apparently they have, but you gotta pay for it. I don't know if they avoided making boa gear account wide because they plan on selling an exp buff in the store or not. But if they can make these helms account wide then they better make our boa gear the same way.

This is the problem at its core. This is what will start happening.

1. Late xpacs don't need to drop xp by 33% since you can just buy 100% buff.
2. No need for heirloom gear or true account-wide gear due to 100% buff.
3. Legendaries aren't transmoggable, instead we'll make this leet looking cash-shop items that have unique models.
5. In-game gear can't have awesome colors like it used to due to characters being "clownish" (really thats why we have transmog). Save the cool stuff for cash shop.
4. Pets can just re-hash models, but we'll sell the awesome ones.

Basically work-arounds mean you can de-prioritize proper fixes, and the cash-shop will become Blizzards work-around.

You know why its happening though. WoW is on a steady decline since WoLTK. Even MoP in first quarter of release kept numbers stagnant (not even a mild increase), basically MoP was a flop. This is them testing the waters before going f2p. IMO they might want to start with lower prices especially when the game already has a $15 a month sub.
100 Orc Death Knight
http://ptr.wowdb.com/spells/146939-enduring-elixir-of-wisdom

welp

So why do you think this is the only worthwhile item off most rares and only drops off one rare mob, is a rare item in the loot table, and only lasts 1 hour? It's because it competes with the buff they want to sell.

BoA items cant be traded cross-realm or made accessible cross-realm. Yet the sparkle pony was account-wide since WoLTK as are the new helms in the store. Clearly blizzard has the ability to flag an account as having access to a given item (they mail it to you any time you make a new toon). This is a simple problem to solve. Make the item unique-equipped and it gets mailed to you any time you make a new toon. If you accidentally destroy it, then use the restoration service.

Problem solved.
Edited by Yonbi on 7/19/2013 4:37 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Warrior
More like.. You lease a car and they make items for your leased car and expect you to pay for the upgrades on a car you can't actually keep while not actually using the money to improve the existing car.

Sure, if those upgrades were neon underlights, spoilers & tinted windows.

Y'know, optional vanity items that you don't actually need but can get if you wanna throw down a few bucks.
100 Night Elf Rogue

Blizzard is a for-profit company. They've always been a for-profit company (even before Activision came into the mix). I'm not really sure why people feel that Blizzard is supposed to be some sort of a messiah or symbol of a company who is not out to make profit. It's business and, for as long as they've been around, has always been that way.

Just because they are a for-profit company doesn't mean gouging their customers is ok. Using that same logic, the oil companies should start charging $10 for a gallon of gas. They should probably reduce their costs by lowering employee wages as well, to ensure maximum profit. After all, they are for-profit companies too.

Basic necessities of modern life (a job, fuel, etc) are not the same as spending a small amount of money on goods that are for entertainment purposes ONLY.

You might want to use a different word besides "gouging". What basis do you have to go on to know, by marketing statistics, what a "fair" price is for something they intend to sell? Really, the only thing you have to go on is that mounts are $25, pets are $10, subscriptions range from $15 or more (depending on which charge period you chose), and the cost of the game key. Where's anything to base your judgement of "fair" price for vanity/transmog equipment?

But fine. If you want to go into that, then perhaps they should lower the wages of employees. Let's make it so that it is very unappealing to work at Blizzard. Let's remove job benefits that are not absolutely necessary, by law, to have. Why bother with marketing and having ads? It just costs money.

Sounds silly? That's the logic you just threw out at me. You generally have to make financial sacrifices to see profit. You have to make working with the company appealing and safe. The better the company image, the better your overall appeal is to public affairs, specifically if you're already a well-known company in the public eye.
100 Orc Warlock
Reminds me of an amusing game I found recently called DLC Quest that parodies the fact that game companies more and more frequently like to nickel and dime customers and compartmentalize features which used to be standard:

http://goingloudstudios.com/games/dlc-quest/

Pretty good humor. You have to pay gold for sound, pay gold to learn how to jump, pay gold before you can turn left...

There's even a tip-of-the-hat towards the horse armor nonsense back in...what was it, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion? Definitely a game made by gamers.
90 Tauren Warrior
Like my helmet guys? I <3 all of you.

Also, weren't people saying WoW would only last a few years after it came out?

Point is, there will be people who feel like they know the future of this game and complain about anything Blizzard decides to do. Some will quit because of it, most will not (regarding this issue in particular).

A lot of people don't like change in general, same applies to all aspects of life.
90 Dwarf Paladin
07/19/2013 02:53 PMPosted by Xardyth
We already pay a $15 subscription why should we have to pay more for extra game features?

You don't.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]