5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

90 Draenei Mage
If you find out the gas company has been putting water in your gas, to make your car get lousy mileage and run crappy, so they can sell you more gas, fuel additives, injector cleaner, and tune ups, you're going to quit buying your gas there real quick.

Blizz controls EXP leveling requirements and gear drop rates both. Charms/coins were introduced to offset lousy gear drop rates. Blizz can adjust both with a few clicks of the keyboard. Now they're talking selling EXP buffs and charms as "convenience items"...to offset in-game issues they have total control over. Lot of other deliberately introduced "inconveniences" in the game.

And that is what is chapping a lot our heinies. Not to mention, deliberately degrading the game experience in order to develop a market for "convenience items" isn't the "slippery slope"...you've already hit bottom.

Well said.

Honestly, I would PREFER this game was pay to win rather than pay for convenience!

That means I'm subscribing for a game where the actual game experience isn't good, but I can buy things that don't allow me to become stronger, but rather, bypass actually playing the game.

So let me get this formulation:

-step 1: pay to play the game

-step 2: play the game and find it's a miserable experience

-step 3: pay more to not actually play the game

And then they wonder why people like me are quitting this game?!?!
90 Tauren Warrior
If you find out the gas company has been putting water in your gas, to make your car get lousy mileage and run crappy, so they can sell you more gas, fuel additives, injector cleaner, and tune ups, you're going to quit buying your gas there real quick.

Blizz controls EXP leveling requirements and gear drop rates both. Charms/coins were introduced to offset lousy gear drop rates. Blizz can adjust both with a few clicks of the keyboard. Now they're talking selling EXP buffs and charms as "convenience items"...to offset in-game issues they have total control over. Lot of other deliberately introduced "inconveniences" in the game.

And that is what is chapping a lot our heinies. Not to mention, deliberately degrading the game experience in order to develop a market for "convenience items" isn't the "slippery slope"...you've already hit bottom.

Well said.

Honestly, I would PREFER this game was pay to win rather than pay for convenience!

That means I'm subscribing for a game where the actual game experience isn't good, but I can buy things that don't allow me to become stronger, but rather, bypass actually playing the game.

They probably don't wonder why people quit their game. They probably don't wonder why people subscribe to their game either. They know what the majority of the player base want.
100 Night Elf Rogue

Well said.

They probably don't wonder why people quit their game. They probably don't wonder why people subscribe to their game either. They know what the majority of the player base want.

And contrary to popular belief, the majority are very predictable.
90 Human Priest
We already pay a $15 subscription why should we have to pay more for extra game features? this is sickening

lol, Because for hundreds of years, millions of businesses, all over the world have been charging customers for extra items or services.

It's always been true. It will always be true.
100 Orc Shaman
Taken From: http://killadrixexplainsthings.wordpress.com/2013/07/20/wow-microtransactions-everyone-just-chill-out/

I think a lot of people have difficulty separating fantasy from reality on these issues, just as they have difficulty understanding where their hobby ends, and the business of running an MMO begins.

Players are constantly demanding more and more from the Blizzard development team, without giving much thought to amount of resources that go into attempting to meet those demands.

It’s easy for us to sit around doing napkin math and jacking our jaws about how much Blizzard brings in every month in Sub revenue, but nobody stops to think about the overhead of running a business as large as they do.

Payroll for all of those artists, programmers, CM’s, writers, developers, and customer support people? Server hardware/maintenance, electricity, office rent, company vehicles/gas, insurance, benefits, software, training, R&D and TAXES? The list goes on and on…

The reality is that these types of in-game purchases continue to help fund the game that many of us have played and loved for the better part of the last decade, and I’m having a hard time determining if the complaints are more ignorant than they are petty (they might be a combination of both).

In terms of the XP buff, people have been purchasing additional accounts and RAF leveling themselves since the inception of RAF, but I don’t see 222 pages of RAF hate on the forums now, or even when RAF was first introduced. So as a matter of fact, this is offering a lower cost alternative to RAF leveling.

As for the transmogs, why do people care what my character looks like. If you are quitting over this, it’s because you care so much about what my Avatar is wearing on it’s head that you can no longer bring yourself to log in and play the game? Really…?

Almost every MMO and entertainment app on the market allows some kind of in-game purchase, but for some reason, WoW is your sacred cow? The one you just absolutely can’t bear to see further besmirched by micro-transactions? Really?

At the end of the day, WoW is a business. As such, the Blizzard leadership team is responsible for the delicate balancing act of keeping the company profitable, keeping the stock holders satisfied, and keeping the players playing.

And if you think for a second that they didn’t weigh the additional income they will receive from the sale of these vanity items against the number of subs many of you claim they will lose over their implementation, then you’re crazy.

Those of you claiming to quit the game over this have already been written off, especially since most of you aren’t going to quit anyhow.

Change is always difficult for some people to deal with, and this game has changed a lot since day one, and I’m sure it’s going to change a lot more before the dust settles. I would encourage many of you to think long, hard and objectively about what you are complaining about.
90 Night Elf Druid
i'd buy it..I hate questing and I have the levelling process in general.
90 Human Priest
I know this is an emotionally charged issue. But, it might be useful to rein in the hypocrisy a bit.

This whole thing has been cracking me up. It seems as though Blizzard is trying to increase revenue and profit (that's not whats making me laugh). For a long time forum members have been mocking Blizzard for the decline in subscriptions. Then they attach some little pet peeve and try to make people believe that their issue is not only at the center of the universe but also the root cause of Blizzard's supposed financial woes.

But if we all think back, we know that most of the subs were loss due to the LACK of f2p components.

Recently the situation with Vivendi has come to light. People are still angry and raging against Blizzard even though we know they might not have much control over things if Vivendi has got them by the short hairs. The "torch bearers", the supposed Blizzard loyalists so far have not displayed a whole lot of understanding and patience.

If a person is not used to thinking of someone or something besides just their own interests it can be hard to start doing so. People who do this are not necessarily self-centered or spoiled. They just may not know anything else. But this is a really good time to start thinking of the bigger picture.

Blizzard is trying to increase revenue. ALL BUSINESS want to increase revenue. Not just maintain, but actually increase. So, what did they do? They are giving us things we can buy voluntarily. We don't have to buy them. We can if we want. (This is the part that is making me laugh.) They could have raised subscription costs. Right? This would have FORCED us to give them more money.

So, one solution: Everything is voluntary. The other solution: Everything is mandatory.

Voluntary vs. mandatory.

Earlier in this thread, a few have said that "they'd be ok with a sub increase", lol. Well, this goes back to the "none of us are the center of the universe". Most people would not want their sub costs to increase.

Let's think of this: Let's say, Blizzard never, ever talked about opening an in-game store. They never created those $15 helms. They never talking about they might do this in Asia first. They never talking about selling for real life money charms or xp-potions. There has been no hints or rumors. All they did was just quietly announce that they are raising subs to $20 - $30 a month. And if you want to continue to play the game that you are heavily vested in you have no choice. OMG, the rage and anger that would ensue.

And don't even try to say that wouldn't happen. Because people for some bizarre reason feel a need to freak out over just about anything, no matter how minor it is. I read a thread a couple of weeks ago, where there was all this explosive anger because of the few lines of spam that happens when npc's are attacked.

Voluntary vs. Mandatory
Edited by Apritte on 7/19/2013 7:38 PM PDT
93 Goblin Shaman
i'd buy it..I hate questing and I have the levelling process in general.

Then why play an MMORPG?

Yes, that's a serious question. If you can't stand to level or can't deal with having to grind rep/gear (LFR, normal, heroic, pvp grinds), then why bother playing an MMO in the first place?

100% of the content in this game is grinding:

Questing- 90% of the game right there.
The other 10% is spent at the max level either grinding up rep/heroics/raids or PvP content.

No one is forcing you to play alts by the way. Alt's are a choice, not a requirement. If you choose to make an alt, that's what heirlooms are for. Bliz went and reduced a vast majority of the XP needed to get to max level. Bliz went and gave us a guild perks that stacks with heirlooms.

There is absolutely no reason an XP boost is needed.

07/19/2013 07:28 PMPosted by Apritte
Recently the situation with Vivendi has come to light. People are still angry and raging against Blizzard even though we know they might not have much control over things if Vivendi has got them by the short hairs. The "torch bearers", the supposed Blizzard loyalists so far have not displayed a whole lot of understanding and patience.

Do you want to know why people are angry at that particular issue? Because in all honesty, Blizzard saw this issue emerge at the beginning of Cata.

They went from:

BC: harder content

to

Wrath: easier, but fun content

back to

Cata: harder content knowing full well that a lot of their player base weren't used to (the ones that started during wrath). GC's "Heroics are hard" thing didn't exactly help with keeping players either.

They had a chance back during early Cata to fix the damage they had done. They waited until it was too late.

Now the remaining player base is being nickeled and dime over their own mistake? $15 dollars for ugly helms. $15 is exactly the price of a monthly sub. That's one monthly sub that is missing that people are paying for on top of their normal $15 dollar subscription fee.

So say 100 people buy one helm each: that is 100 monthly subs they have just made up for.
Edited by Jujubiju on 7/19/2013 9:26 PM PDT
90 Human Priest
If you can't stand to level or can't deal with having to grind rep/gear, then why bother playing an MMO in the first place?

Because everyone plays this and any game for the own reasons. Those reasons vary from person to person. Your reasons are so different from many other people.

100% of the content in this game is grinding: Questing- 90% of the game right there. The other 10% is spent at the max level either grinding up rep/heroics/raids or PvP content.

Maybe for you. Maybe for some people. But not for everyone.

07/19/2013 07:35 PMPosted by Jujubiju
No one is forcing you to play alts by the way.

No one is forcing you to buy in-game store items.

There is absolutely no reason an XP boost is needed.

You many not have any reasons. But other people do.
Edited by Apritte on 7/19/2013 7:52 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
Taken From: http://killadrixexplainsthings.wordpress.com/2013/07/20/wow-microtransactions-everyone-just-chill-out/

I think a lot of people have difficulty separating fantasy from reality on these issues, just as they have difficulty understanding where their hobby ends, and the business of running an MMO begins.

Players are constantly demanding more and more from the Blizzard development team, without giving much thought to amount of resources that go into attempting to meet those demands.

It’s easy for us to sit around doing napkin math and jacking our jaws about how much Blizzard brings in every month in Sub revenue, but nobody stops to think about the overhead of running a business as large as they do.

Payroll for all of those artists, programmers, CM’s, writers, developers, and customer support people? Server hardware/maintenance, electricity, office rent, company vehicles/gas, insurance, benefits, software, training, R&D and TAXES? The list goes on and on…

The reality is that these types of in-game purchases continue to help fund the game that many of us have played and loved for the better part of the last decade, and I’m having a hard time determining if the complaints are more ignorant than they are petty (they might be a combination of both).

In terms of the XP buff, people have been purchasing additional accounts and RAF leveling themselves since the inception of RAF, but I don’t see 222 pages of RAF hate on the forums now, or even when RAF was first introduced. So as a matter of fact, this is offering a lower cost alternative to RAF leveling.

As for the transmogs, why do people care what my character looks like. If you are quitting over this, it’s because you care so much about what my Avatar is wearing on it’s head that you can no longer bring yourself to log in and play the game? Really…?

Almost every MMO and entertainment app on the market allows some kind of in-game purchase, but for some reason, WoW is your sacred cow? The one you just absolutely can’t bear to see further besmirched by micro-transactions? Really?

At the end of the day, WoW is a business. As such, the Blizzard leadership team is responsible for the delicate balancing act of keeping the company profitable, keeping the stock holders satisfied, and keeping the players playing.

And if you think for a second that they didn’t weigh the additional income they will receive from the sale of these vanity items against the number of subs many of you claim they will lose over their implementation, then you’re crazy.

Those of you claiming to quit the game over this have already been written off, especially since most of you aren’t going to quit anyhow.

Change is always difficult for some people to deal with, and this game has changed a lot since day one, and I’m sure it’s going to change a lot more before the dust settles. I would encourage many of you to think long, hard and objectively about what you are complaining about.

no disrespect but people that defend the cash shop to the extreme as this guy is why i unsubed... two things are going to happen here.... 1 blizzard sees that
many pepole defend this store and grts away with insane store prices
2. many people like myself unsub wich makes subs drop to where the store must make players pay for even more for content that you sub should have paid for.. the store would swtor/eq crazy where u pay even for air..
Edited by Faithnchrist on 7/19/2013 7:53 PM PDT
93 Goblin Shaman
Apritte, I apologize but I'm putting you on ignore- you're just starting to annoy me and your posts are really starting to wreak of the trollish variety at this point.
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Not sure how I feel about the potential slippery slope this change could mean in terms of P2W, but I'd like to be able to level alts quicker.

I'm a terribly slow leveler (1st 90 took 8+ months, with a 68 Belf DK, 35 Orc Warrior, 30 Undead Priest, 21 Nelf Druid, 12 Belf Mage, and 3 Troll Hunter waiting in the wings), and I'm afraid to go back and level anyone else for fear of falling further behind the current expansion.

Right now, I think I've purchased all of the cloth heirlooms since my main no longer has use for JP, so my priest may get the call soon. Thinking I may purchase the tanking looms next and get the warrior and/or dk leveled.

The thought of shelving my 90 Lock who is finally respectable (in my opinion), at a 498 ilvl in favor of an alt needing 50+ levels isn't very appealing.
100 Orc Shaman
no disrespect but people that defend the cash shop to the extreme as this guy is why i unsubed

I'm defending the REALITY, you're defending an ideology.

How is purchasing leveling bonuses and tmogs hurting the game?

Answer: They aren't/won't.

They aren't going to change your experience.

You are trying to take things away from other players which they might enjoy, which does not effect you at all.
Edited by Killadrix on 7/19/2013 8:02 PM PDT
90 Orc Warrior
Voluntary vs. Mandatory

You don't get it still.

I currently feel like a second class citizen in WOW.

Its not that I can't afford the stuff, I easily can.
Its not that the stuff is game breaking, it isn't. Although I feel the charms and exp boost can be if delivered incorrectly.
Its not that blizz is trying to make some money. I ran a business for several years, I know that's what businesses do.

I just feel that Blizzard doesn't care about those who don't use the store. In my opinion the better looking stuff is going to the store and the left over low quality stuff gets sent to "the rest of us". Any time I see an armor set now ill wonder if there is a better looking one waiting to be sold. Everytime I get a mount or pet ill wonder if it was the one that didn't make the store cut so its ok for us commoners.

These things could easily have been in store AND in game. Instead of another dragonhawk for my 200 mount achievement, how about the bat mount? Instead of just another title for all the pet battle achieves, how about a title and the new tree pet? There would still be plenty of these sold since not everyone would be willing to work for the achievements. Take care of all your customers, not just those willing to spend money.

Im just tired of looking at what hits the store and feeling that my $15 a month isn't good enough for Blizz anymore. Sorry that not everyone sees this.
90 Worgen Druid
This will be my last post on this matter, as I realize the purpose of this thread is to allow objectors to just scream in the wind until we get tired and give up. I know our feedback means little, and the in-game store will go full-speed ahead as planned, just like with CRZ. It will start with charms and XP, and, mark my words, move on to other "convenience" items, negating the point of actually playing the game. I don't really care too much about the selling of cosmetic items since they don't give any sort of advantage (time or otherwise), but eventually there will be a whole wardrobe in the in-game store, making the in-game obtainable gear look plain and "blah" in comparison.

To the defenders and enablers of this, I hope this store will make up for the continuing loss of subscriptions. I hope an intrusive in game shop will be worth alienating a good chunk of players. This store and the selling of advantages...oops, I mean "conveniences", stinks a little too much like F2P for me to be okay with. WoW sure has been a heck of a ride, and a great game. I will always hold the old WoW close to my heart. This new direction the company is turning makes me sad, so it is time for me to bow out.
100 Orc Shaman
While you meant it to be insulting, the one thing you might be right about is that we've already been written off. It doesn't change the fact that long-term, loyal customers feel betrayed. Since this is not their only game, nor their only product, there are consequences to harming their brand by destroying the trust of customers, which will reach beyond WoW. Do you think these people will be in a hurry to buy or recommend future titles or other products?

So you tell me I need to do some research and then you ask me this question as if Diablo 3, another of Blizzard's titles, doesn't have a REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE?

Do you seriously think that if that didn't dent their reputation amongst reasonable people, that selling hats for real world currency in WoW is somehow going to kill their future endeavors? You're out of your mind.

The reality that most of the dissenters in this thread fail to grasp is that these micro-transactions are more than standard in most MMO's these day, and will most likely be the future of MMO gaming.

This isn't Blizzard being an evil money grubbing corporation. If anything, it is bringing them more inline with other games in the genre.

The problem is that too many forum-goers want nothing more than a reason, any reason, to be mad at Blizzard. I just find it especially funny when it's about things that don't effect them.
Edited by Killadrix on 7/19/2013 9:27 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Paladin
REAL MONEY ACTION HOUSE

Excuse me? I have never had to pay for action, thank you very much.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]