5.4 In Game Store 100% XP Buff/Transmog items?

2 Dwarf Priest
My primary concern is that it will start with the XP boost but then where will it spiral to?? Gear, weapons and who knows what else?? If this purchasable XP DOES in fact eventuate in the game it will surely only be a matter of time before the trickle down effect begins with better gear being purchasable for real cash.

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Then Heirlooms, Jewl crafter only gems being sold 25 cents a piece

Its slowly going to turn to a RMAH

Any one who was excited for D3 knows this is only going to lead to even worst situations thats a promise.
90 Goblin Mage
Its slowly going to turn to a RMAH

i don't see why this couldn't be a possibility. i mean, do we really think that blizzard implemented this just so D3 could use it? they were probably testing the waters. makes perfect sense, honestly.
33 Dwarf Hunter
As opposed as I am to the idea of being asked to pay real money for anything in-game, or for anything that gives any kind of competitive advantage, I sure wouldn't mind this potion being available in some capacity on NA/EU servers. I just hit 90 for the first time this past week, and I have no desire to do it again.

I'm not opposed to cosmetic and convenience items being sold by Blizzard. They already sell them. My line is drawn at being asked to purchase things while in-game. If there is ever a button linking me to a store in-game, further ruining the immersiveness, I'm out for good. Keep the credit cards and talk of cash out of my fantasy world!
Community Manager
Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone. We’re still pretty early in the exploration process, but we did want to go into more detail about our rationale for introducing an in-game store, as well as provide some insight into what you might ultimately see available there.

For players who are already interested in the in-game items we offer, such as Pet Store pets and mounts, the benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear. We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that’s our long-term goal for the system, though there’s quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system.

First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved—including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more—your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game.

Ultimately it’s still too early in the process to make any final determinations about our plans, but in the meantime, we hope you’ll check out the in-game store once it’s implemented on the PTR and let us know what you think.
90 Draenei Paladin
First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune.

As long as its just the lesser charms and not the greater/mogu runes/whatever 5.4 has, I think its a good idea, and just another quality of life purchase instead of a P2W
90 Goblin Mage
07/08/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Bashiok
Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone.

we prompted Bashiok, the legend, to post. we appreciate you letting everyone know that you guys are, in fact, reading what we're saying. on a side note...

as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune.

i already know this is going to be a problem that people bring up. a huge argument in this thread is that this could become a P2W model. while the XP buff is harmless given the plethora of ways to do it as of right now, giving players the option to purchase lesser charms is something completely different.

lesser charms translate to major charms which are attained once a week as of right now; however, major charms are used for the extra gear chances in raids. this mirrors P2W in a pretty significant way.

all in all, that probably wasn't the smartest move on your part, Bashiok, and, while i respect you, i can't help but wonder what you were thinking given what this thread has already produced.
90 Human Death Knight
Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone. We’re still pretty early in the exploration process, but we did want to go into more detail about our rationale for introducing an in-game store, as well as provide some insight into what you might ultimately see available there.

For players who are already interested in the in-game items we offer, such as Pet Store pets and mounts, the benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear. We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that’s our long-term goal for the system, though there’s quite a bit of work involved in retrofitting those existing items into the new system.

First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset) based on player feedback: specifically, an experience buff to assist with the leveling process, as well as an alternate way to acquire Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these, and as with other new ideas we’ve introduced as WoW has evolved—including Pet Store pets, mounts, and more—your feedback plays a hugely important part in determining what we add to the game.

Ultimately it’s still too early in the process to make any final determinations about our plans, but in the meantime, we hope you’ll check out the in-game store once it’s implemented on the PTR and let us know what you think.

So you are going to start implementing F2P store concepts without going F2P?

XP edge, don't have to do dailies to get charms. Next we will be able to buy rep so that I don't have to wait on gear, and VP so I don't have to worry about not hitting the weekly cap.
11 Draenei Paladin
First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset)

Here is my feedback, keep it out of North American realms period.

It is the part in brackets that worries me, most specifically "at the outset" which would seem to imply it is coming to North American realms eventually, no good can come of this.
Edited by Judgernaught on 7/8/2013 6:36 PM PDT
33 Dwarf Hunter

For players who are already interested in the in-game items we offer, such as Pet Store pets and mounts, the benefits of an in-game store are pretty clear. We think everyone would appreciate the convenience of being able to make such purchases without having to leave the game, and ultimately that’s our long-term goal for the system

Welp, that's exactly what I'm not ok with. Please, please, keep real world currency away from the in-game experience. Keep it relegated to the Blizzard Store. Please.

i mean, I'd rather you keep the whole system away from NA/EU realms, but if you must go forward with The Search for More Money, please keep it out of the game client. I'm not paying a subscription so I can be advertised to. I pay to keep advertisements out of my face.
Edited by Balnor on 7/8/2013 6:33 PM PDT

I want to know if there is a hard line on how far this will be taken. If your profits justified Heroic raid gear for cash, would you do it?
90 Human Priest
We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these,

But to make them a store item? Why? Make it something buyable in-game with gold. Even better, make JP finally useful and buy it with that. You should not be able to buy something with real money that actually has an effect on anything other than cosmetics in a game that you already pay monthly for.
100 Dwarf Hunter

i already know this is going to be a problem that people bring up. a huge argument in this thread is that this could become a P2W model. while the XP buff is harmless given the plethora of ways to do it as of right now, giving players the option to purchase lesser charms is something completely different.

lesser charms translate to major charms which are attained once a week as of right now; however, major charms are used for the extra gear chances in raids. this mirrors P2W in a pretty significant way.

Agreed. In addition, it contradicts recent blue comments regarding the Lesser Charms effectively being a reward for leaving the city/queue.
90 Orc Shaman
I just wish you guys wouldn't charge so much for the mounts and pets. Rift makes better looking models of both of those item types and charges 50% less for them and its now a FTP game. They also offer mounts that you can get from holidays/raids/dungeons as well (hint hint, get cracking). Offering WoW TCG mounts and pets would be nice as well instead of having to rely on dubious (and too expensive) means of acquiring some of those.

I'm quite sure more people would splurge on those items if they were priced a bit more realistically and not for $10 more than what your monthly sub costs.

You guys have some serious catching up to do IMO.
100 Worgen Mage
Store should just be used for cosmetic items just IMO. Nothing to back this just other than personal preference/design philosophy. Think it's a bit of a slippery slope and off-putting to some of our current players.

If it makes sense from a financial standpoint I can't really argue against that aspect, sort of like how I don't approve of no cooldown realm transfers and keeping imbalanced racials in-game.

The game does evolve, and players don't like change, I get that. Just feel like the store should remain cosmetic.
Edited by Digerati on 7/8/2013 6:45 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I for one am getting extremely tired of seeing the KR and China realms get preferential treatment for the new kits and different playing options over US and EU.

I want the options they are being allotted, as I am sure numerous other US and EU players will as well.
100 Goblin Shaman
First, we’ll be testing the in-game store with some new kinds of items we’re looking into introducing (in Asian regions, at the outset)

Here is my feedback, keep it out of North American realms period.

^ this. I have to agree with Judge on this one.

As I said elsewhere, WoW does not need a P2W type model (which essentially selling lesser mogu charms basically are). Lesser mogu charms are easy to get. They drop like candy off mobs, in pet battles, and from dailies.

Selling them in a "store" isn't needed.

Mounts/pets are one thing since they are things that do not effect game play. Mogu runes, however, do effect things in game- it's essentially the same concept as selling VP/raid gear for RL cash.

This isn't "Spaceballs Two: The Quest For More Money".
Edited by Jujubiju on 7/8/2013 6:42 PM PDT
90 Worgen Warlock
So in game power directly for money?

Only if you remove the subscription fee.

If you don't, I'll do it for you by canceling so quickly.
85 Gnome Mage
We’ve had a lot of requests from players in different regions for convenience-oriented items such as these,

Then, why absolutely sell them against real money? There could still have a vendor that sell them for valor/justice points...
Edited by Marvall on 7/8/2013 6:40 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]