Mistweaver Healing

90 Human Monk
Hi all I am just getting back into my mistweaver again and I have a few questions. How do you deal with medium damage situations that are quite common in LFR. I can burn a ENV MIST but most of it ends up as overheal as its sniped by a pally/priest. Fistweaving doesn't really help.

Kinda wish I had a 1-2 chi spender that would let me do an instant/med heal.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
For the record i am talking about a single target not like uplift.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
To be honest with you, 70% of my healing in all my LFR Que's come from Eminence
(Fistweave healing), and Eminence Statue ( Fistweaver healing from statue ).

If you have not tried fistweaving yet, let me know and ill explain to you how to fistweave. Ill assume you know how to fistweave otherwise, and where to place your statue when fistweaving.

When you say medium damage, Ill assume your talking about a tank first. Other than getting REM on him, soothing mist -> surging mist -> ENV mist is kind of the only way to keep him up unless you pop life cocoon and lightly heal him up with just soothing and REM. If he is continuously taking 'medium' damage, and ur not secure with fistweaving near him with ur statue nearby to spike heal him, soothing mist, Constant ENV mist when it wears off, tft surging mist if hes getting low. And please do not forget to use mana tea inbetween your abilities to maximize your mana regen.

To be honest with you, and this is entirely my opinion, others may disagree, I NEVER look at my overheals if im not having any mana issues during the fight. If im soothing the tank and hes taking medium damage, and im generating alot of chi and just blowing ENV back to back, and hes staying healthy with just that rotation, Im ok with it because im generating mroe stacks of mana tea. Even if im overhealing by alot.

- And as you stated, often the tank and other targets get spiked by other healers and my heals end up as overheals. This is why I dont mistweave in lfr, I only do the above if its needed because the tank is taking continous 'medium' dmg or just flat out uber amounts of dmg, and no other healer is taking care of him.
Edited by Poshy on 6/27/2013 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
If your healing LFR, You must remember that you have 4 other healers with you. 95% of the time while in LFR, Im never single targeting and healing unless the tank or someone else is super low, and hasn't been brought up. I have mouseover macros for these cases.

My mouse over macros allow me to keep the target im damaging and throw REM on the raid while dpsing the same target, and not having to switch. If someone in the raid is super low, ill mouseover them and click soothing mist, surging mist, env mist, then go straight back to fistweaving without having to swap targets.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I might be doing something wrong when fistweaving I am around 25-30k hps and I see people dropping so I throw an env mist and it gets 1 tick before hrs healed to full by a priest/sham/paladin.

And of course if I don't throw the heal the guy dies and I feel bad for not healing him.

What rotation is best? I use jab-tp and mix some BO kicks in with renewing and expel/surging
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
When the tank's taking a hit I try to keep ReM on him anyways, but channeling soothing + Enveloping Mists and Surging as needed works. Neither break the channel.

I find it less annoying with idiotic LFR tanks if I just toss out ReM on CD, Expel Harm on cd, channel soothing on anything taking damage and use uplift as a Chi dump.

Very rarely do I bother with single target healing unless for some reason the other healers can't keep the tank up without me.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
What rotation is best? I use jab-tp and mix some BO kicks in with renewing and expel/surging

My single target rotation is something like this:

(Jab, Tiger palm) x 5 untill surging mist procs, surging mist, jab, BO kick.
Ill throw in some REM, EX harm, etc to cheaply generate some extra chi to throw out some more BO kicks, especially if theres adds. My statue is always near the tank(s)/melee.
If i Know theres heavy aoe damage for a specific fight, ill keep throwing REM off cd, and actually use TFocustea when heavy damage actually begins. Revival saves my HPS no matter what I do so Ill use it wisely when majority of the raid is really low due to a major burst of aoe dmg.

As reshaari said, Keep REM up on the tanks. Look into mouse over macros for soothing mists so u can quickly start soothing a target without having to actually change target focus. Hover mouse over tank, press ur soothing mists action button, then surging mists, = tank saved.
Edited by Poshy on 6/28/2013 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
As reshaari said, Keep REM up on the tanks. Look into mouse over macros for soothing mists so u can quickly start soothing a target without having to actually change target focus. Hover mouse over tank, press ur soothing mists action button, then surging mists, = tank saved.

I'm still trying to figure out how to work with those on this toon.

1-5 is covered by jab, tp, bok, chi burst and surging mists. I don't use my pinky on keybinds, so I have three fingers on 1, 2, 3. I can reach 4 comfortably. Short fingers makes 5 a stretch. Short fingers also prohibits modifier use as that's also uncomfortable. I have a standard 3 button mouse.

All of my other healers exclusively use mouseovers or focus macros. If it's not used regularly, or on a CD it's clicked. This includes expel harm and renewing mists.

Having the melee abilities in there makes for using mouseovers difficult. I can't reach half the keyboard comfortably. I also have carpal tunnel :(
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This sounds like "how do I pad meters when only the tank is taking moderate damage, and the Holy Pallies just snipe all my healing with their absorbs?"

This is going to happen to you any time there's a particularly aggressive Holy Pally or Disc Priest and the damage is light. Just keep Soothing/Enveloping, Surging as needed, and don't fret about the meters. You're doing it right!

If you *really* want to be on top of the meters, though, here's some things you can do:

- Drop Healing Spheres under the tank (this will tank your mana if you overdo it, so careful)
- Fistweave a little (the actual healing is a bit easier to slip in under those absorbs)
- Use Surging to snipe up the tanks
- Watch for AOE damage, that's where you'll score high
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest

1-5 is covered by jab, tp, bok, chi burst and surging mists. I don't use my pinky on keybinds, so I have three fingers on 1, 2, 3. I can reach 4 comfortably. Short fingers makes 5 a stretch. Short fingers also prohibits modifier use as that's also uncomfortable. I have a standard 3 button mouse.

All of my other healers exclusively use mouseovers or focus macros. If it's not used regularly, or on a CD it's clicked. This includes expel harm and renewing mists.

Having the melee abilities in there makes for using mouseovers difficult. I can't reach half the keyboard comfortably. I also have carpal tunnel :

Oh o-o
Well, i've turned my whole bottom left action bar above my original spell bar into keybinds. I use my middle mouse button to move so I dont use a,s,d,w, etc to move. So ive used them as spell/ability keybinds instead. The keybinds are account wide for me so i've memorized the finger rotations. I use my middle finger to press either A,S,D,W ( macros ) and 1-0 on my normal action bar with my finger thats next to my pinky. I forgot what its called OH RING finger. Recently I've started getting rid of C ( character panel ), and a few others and keybound them to abilities aswell.

For me:

1 ( soothing mist ), Q ( Surging mist ) since they are right next to each other.
2 ( Jab ), W (Tiger Palm ).
3 (REM), E (Blackout kick)
4 (Chi roll/torpedo) R ( uplift )

etc etc. That way im not having to move all over my keyboards for simple rotations between healing rotations and dps rotations.

Abilities that i use less often are bound to keys farther to the right. Like revival.. crackling, expel harm is actually 6 for me. and chi wave is T.

All my defensive cooldowns are at the bottom of my keyboard. Z X C V B to which I use my thumb to press, so my middle and ring finger are easily comfortable enough to press my other abilities without having to stretch much.
Edited by Poshy on 6/29/2013 6:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
06/28/2013 10:46 PMPosted by Reshaari

Having the melee abilities in there makes for using mouseovers difficult. I can't reach half the keyboard comfortably. I also have carpal tunnel :(

I started using macros that combine damage and healing into one button for my Monk.

Like this....
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,exists] Renewing Mist; Jab

So I have one button that will cast ReM on Mouseover on a Friendly or Jab while targeting an enemy. The icon changes if I'm mousing over a friendly unit frame. It's a nice way to clean up the toolbars.

You can do the same thing for CJL and Soothing....
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,exists] Soothing Mist; Crackling Jade Lightning

...or any other combo you want.
Edited by Indyana on 6/29/2013 6:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Priest
So I have one button that will cast ReM on Mouseover on a Friendly or Jab on while targeting an enemy. The icon changes if I'm mousing over a friendly unit frame. It's a nice way to clean up the toolbars.

omg thankyou for this knowledge ^^
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I started using macros that combine damage and healing into one button for my Monk.

Like this....
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,exists] Renewing Mist; Jab

So I have one button that will cast ReM on Mouseover on a Friendly or Jab while targeting an enemy. The icon changes if I'm mousing over a friendly unit frame. It's a nice way to clean up the toolbars.

You can do the same thing for CJL and Soothing....
#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,exists] Soothing Mist; Crackling Jade Lightning

...or any other combo you want.

omg thankyou for this knowledge ^^

What this person said.

I'll try this out later.

the reason I haven't done it so far is mostly because I dislike having to memorize what button is/goes where. If I can't see the icon, I often can't remember what the ability on that slot is.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
As an aside, is there a way to add to a macro like that a stopchannel?

like:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,help,exists] Soothing Mist; Tiger Palm

Trying this one, but as it stands I have to move to stop the channel. And this is also incredibly annoying to begin with, because even outside macros, "you can't do that while channeling" is annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
/stopcasting
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Didn't know stopcast worked with channels. Then again I don't have many channels I'd want to stop while standing still.

Now I wonder if I can get it to work with clique since click dispels don't interrupt channeling.

/runs off to ponder
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
When you are healing LFR you just kind of half afk heal and nobody dies. Monks and disc priests can DPS and heal and probably should.

There is only a finite amount of heals to be had and the people who get them are the best snipers, it really has nothing to do with normal healing. The only LFR fight that is kind of fun for a healer is Tsulong.

So my advice to heal better in LFR is make sure you find a good show to watch before you queue up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]