Pally: 25 H Tort

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello everyone.

I don't usually post, but I am really torn on what would be optimal in this encounter. I am currently a heavy mastery build. It seems to be working fine, but I have my doubts.

I am assigned to be purely the Tort tank healer for this fight. I noticed that for the first time this xpack that my mastery is below my EF by a lot on some pulls. My question to all of you is, do you think a build that reaches haste cap for EF ticks and then favoring crit would be more optimal for this fight?

I can sustain my mana just fine throughout the fight unless things go really bad. Would this build allow me to build the tanks shield faster? I know that it is raw healing instead of shields, but would it really be a noticeable difference if I were to switch?

Thank you for your time. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know what other healers do on this fight (even the non pallies <3).

I know my gemming and enchants may be picked at, but I am playing around trying to find the best set up. And yes, I know my ring has an agility enchant on it. I saw it after the raid and almost died laughing, but I wanted to go to bed so it will be fixed later =)

Again thanks for your time and here are 2 nights worth of logs (30 attempts). Second night has more data. First night was a learning curve.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o3cxp6zarakofvjq/analyze/hd/source/
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-0wdodajm1flkxu8u/analyze/hd/source/
Edited by Dioxisis on 6/28/2013 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
It's better but it's not overwhelmingly superior. But yeah it would help you keep the shields up.

IH is best for rockfall to cushion damage after shields break off which they tend to do.

Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Yea we normally run with 3 pallies so I never have to worry about rockfall. I am purely on one tank. I feel that my heals are being wasted and could be better utilized. Thanks for your input Mara.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also CS if you get the chance at a crystal. Helps build up for EF's faster. And any DP procs are nice too. Especially if you have a good feeling when your tanks go to hit the crystals to regain their shields.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I like mastery for it. I two heal it in 10 man though. I beacon the bat tank then go to town. Holy Prism is really good for the fight as well as long as your folks are good at reapplying shell after stomps. Gives you a little breathing room on splash damage.

Edit: Curious, who are you putting your beacon on? Seems really low. Beacon is my second highest heal. Here are my logs from this week. Also pay no attention to the mw that makes me feel bad about myself.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-p13v95cahhqu7d17/details/5/?s=7806&e=8290
Edited by Taelaus on 6/28/2013 11:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I have my beacon on the tank I'm healing for holy power generation. What I am doing is hitting the tank with 3 holy power EF and then shock on CD with divine light as needed. I throw 1 holy power EFs out to help protect the melee and other healers. I find myself using DL on my tank a lot though, so for holy power generation I keep my beacon on him and swap ad needed. I would say it is on him about 90% of the time. The kiting tank has a disc on him.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I almost never cast on the beacon target during the fight. I try to pile 3 HoP EF's on everyone and the transfer to the beacon is huge. If you look at the log i posted you can see how much transfers. Only time i would cast on the beacon target was if i felt i needed to bank HoP.
Edited by Taelaus on 6/28/2013 12:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What I am trying to get across is that I am the only healer on the tank... so a normal EF spread will not work for me. I have to heal my beacon target because the EF blanket would not be enough. Usually I would never direct heal my beacon. I would be using Radiance and LoD. Remember this is for a 25 man. We run 6 healers. They handle the raid. I an responsible for 1 person. But he the 2nd most important person in the raid. The other pally I run with is healing the raid and has his beacon on my tank. He has roughly 15-20% healing on my tank. I have 70-75%
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I understand what you are saying, just think strict assignments in 25's aren't needed as much. I raided 25 man for 4 years so i know where you are coming from.

06/28/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Dioxisis
I would be using Radiance and LoD.

I run 10's so i am not sure what these two things do :P
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I feel the same way about assignments in 25s. I have been in 4 different 25 mans and this is the first time I have ever heard the healers ask for assignments. Its only 2 of them too. I think its bs but as the healing lead I have to be flexible. Hell we didn't assign healers in our 40 man for AQ.
=\
Edited by Dioxisis on 6/28/2013 1:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
What I am trying to get across is that I am the only healer on the tank... so a normal EF spread will not work for me. I have to heal my beacon target because the EF blanket would not be enough. Usually I would never direct heal my beacon. I would be using Radiance and LoD. Remember this is for a 25 man. We run 6 healers. They handle the raid. I an responsible for 1 person. But he the 2nd most important person in the raid. The other pally I run with is healing the raid and has his beacon on my tank. He has roughly 15-20% healing on my tank. I have 70-75%

One thing that you need to understand about a Mastery build (our most powerful build) is that it relies on EF blanketing. You say that you are responsible for a single person and would usually never directly heal your beacon, but because of healing assignments, you are forced into this role.

But--and this is a big but--you need to remember that our EF blankets xferred through beacon do more single target healing than directly healing the tank. A Divine Light hits for ~200k, whereas beaconed EFs easily surpass that and are superior in every way. If you aren't raid blanketing with EF, then you can't really tank heal. Because we are not actually strong tank healers anymore, despite being forced into that role a lot of the time.

And looking at logs, I suggest changing out of Light's Hammer and using Holy Prism. Tortos has a huge hit box and because of that, using Holy Prism on him means you will hit almost every person in your raid. Also, in your longest attempt, you only used Avenging Wrath and Divine Favor once during an 8 minute fight. You need to be using these as many times as you can. You also didn't use Guardian at all--something else you should be doing. CDs are super important.

But, mostly, it's this: Eternal Flame blanketing does more single target healing than Divine Light spamming.

Going haste or crit is not going to help you at all, because 90% of our spells don't benefit from haste and crit is only really useful for holy shock, to get more Infusion of Light procs, and there's already an in-built additional 25% chance for it to proc. Sure, spells might hit a little harder, but nothing outweighs Mastery.
Edited by Kyáza on 6/28/2013 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Mastery is kinda weak for Tortos, but honestly I don't think that's what's holding your healing down. ES is a bad talent, take Holy Prism. You could use HS way more as well as your throughput cd's way more, and spreading EF's around will provide you with more throughput than dumping Divine Lights on the tank. Not only is DL kind of weak tbh, and if you want a dedicated tank healer a shaman or druid is honestly better. But, if you still have to tank heal, having 100 small ticks of 1k beacon transfers is better than one 100k divine light, the small ticks makes the healing smoother, which is really what it's all about, to avoid the spiky damage.

I really don't know much about warrior tanking, but he seems to take alot of damage, but I'm spoiled with a prot pally so shrug. But, his Crystal Shell uptime is horrible, my tank usually have it at 95%+, your warriors is at 70%ish. He needs to get that up, and your job should just be to make sure that it's at full capacity (crystal shell: full capacity!). Also, for stomps, since you do have 2 holy paladins, take turns to bop+sac, so that for stomp 1 you will bubble and sac the tank, for stomp 2 other pally does the same, for stomp 3 you bop yourself and sac tank, for fourth he does the same, etc.

If you can get his crystal shell uptime higher, you'll see it's gonna be easier to just maintain that full shield with the beacon ticks instead of spamming big heals on him to try and salvage the situation.

We don't have healing assignments for tanks, but for Tortos progression we actually had groups, so each healer had one group that they were responsible to keep with full shields. No one in particular was in charge of tanks.

06/28/2013 12:24 PMPosted by Dioxisis
I would be using Radiance and LoD.

Don't use LoD.
Edited by Miskatonic on 6/28/2013 5:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]