How to Holy priest?

90 Human Priest
The long and short of it is, I started the game back in BC as a holy priest (when smite spec was a joke we could only dream of as a reality). I did alot of raid healing until mid Wotlk. I quit playing, my husband took over my account and changed my priest to shadow. I finally came back to the game with MoP, fell in love with shadow, and as of 2 months ago decided Id like to go back to healing.
Right now Im sitting at 517 ilvl, 12k combat regen when fully raid buffed, and i think ive hit my wall. I typically only do between 50-59k hps in a 3 heal, 10man. Currently my guild has progressed to Magera. We seem to be hitting a block at the 4th head (45%). I find myself oom around head 2 or 3. I offically run out of all cds and mana at the 4th.
We normally have myself, a disc priest, and a resto druid (sometimes a resto shaman subbed for any one of us).
Im typically focusing ranged and backup healing the tanks. We dont have heal assignments aside from CD times (I take 5th head for divine hymn)
My normal spell rotation is popping renew on whoever needs it, casting either serenity on the tanks or sanctuary on melee and popping cascade and CoH on every CD.
During rampages I drop sanctuary, CoH, cascade, and PoH as often as I can between groups one and 2. (Also PoM every chance I get). I also place lightspring in melee whenever it's up.
Either way, when we wipe its because too many people die, lack of heals, lack of heal mana... it all ends up the same.
What should I be doing? Is it my rotation? Ilvl? regen? I just figured out a few days ago using flash heal can reduce mana cost of PoH. I was considering during rampages using flash on 2 people, Poh group1, flash 2 people, PoH group2, rinse repeat til rampage is over. Would this help conserve more mana? Or tank it faster? Should I be in inner will or fire? (im almost in inner will)
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
almost always in inner will*
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Assuming that's the gear you're playing Holy in:

-If you have the 5% haste buff in your raid, drop a bunch of your haste. You typically only want to aim for 4721 for the two extra Renew ticks. Pour the rest into Mastery or Spirit. Personally, I get better results out of Mastery than Crit even with heavy Renew usage.

-Your spirit is kinda low for Holy without the legendary meta. I typically aim for 12-13k and then flask and eat for int.

-Swap your meta gem for the 432 spirit/3% crit and your chest enchant to +200 spirit.

-Switch Power Infusion to Divine Insight. It's godly for Holy. Typically you'll want to use Divine Star for Megaera too. I also personally take Angelic Feather as PW:S is weak for Holy and you won't be spending any mana in order to get the speed boost.

-Make sure you're using Mindbender as absolutely often as possible. I'll usually use it right as I hit 88% mana, and then every CD afterwards. Whenever you use Hymn of Hope, make sure you use Mindbender right before casting it as the extra max mana also affects how much mana the Mindbender returns to you.

-Don't be afraid to swap to Inner Will when you're using lots of Renews, and then back to Inner Fire and Sanctuary for Rampages.

All I can think of atm. Good luck!

Oh, and don't actually use Holy Word: Sanctuary during Rampages. Doesn't heal for nearly enough to justify the mana cost.
Edited by Illu on 7/2/2013 1:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Use chakra serenity for the phases in between rampage. Cast renew on the tanks and whoever has cinders and use either cascade or divine star for the poison bombs (which I forget the name of) use prayer of mending pretty much on cd and keep a lightspring out.

For rampages change to Chakra: Sanctuary. Unless you are swimming in mana (you won't be until you have a legendary meta gem and horridon's last gasp) do not every cast holy word: sparkle floor. Full stop. That spell is terrible. Take it off your bars for now. Instead use Prayer of Healing and Prayer of Mending when off cd or when you have a divine insight proc. Use Divine star for some good cheap heals on this fight, it is amazing anytime you have a group of clumped up people, though the positioning takes practice. TO conserve mana you may wish to limit use of Circle of Healing unless moving, although it is excellent for the poison bombs between rampages. Instead use Prayer of Healing on groups where 3 or more players are in range of each other and are sub 80% health.

Camp in inner will if you must to maintain mana. Place angelic feathers for use when people need to run out with cinders.

The most important thing you can use on this fight is divine hymn.
Set up a cooldown rotation with your co-healers and other raiders who have a raid healing cd. You should be able to use yours every third rampage and there will be 7 in total, so use one early and one late. So instead try to weasel for getting third and sixth head with divine hymn respectively.

If you have the luxury of being able to reforge just for your holy spec remember to have spirit everywhere you can. If a piece has no spirit reforge into spirit, otherwise haste to your closest break point (important for ten man holies, less so for 25 man holies) and then go full into mastery. When you are mana starved it is amazing and Echoes of Light will be in your top three heals generally.

For this fight and most fights I choose mindbender. Solace is clunky if you are not disc and you will be unable to spare the time to cast it later in the encounter. Cast mindbender when you reach 80% mana and on cooldown after that point. You will likely want to use Hymn of Hope and or a sleepy time potion between rampages. This is best done early in the fight rather than later as things ramp up quite a bit. If you have an issue remembering to use mind bender I suggest using an addon for cooldowns to remind you. I prefer weak auras.

I would skip using flash heal unless someone is in immediate danger of death if mana is an issue. If a person is about to die (either cinder targets later in the encounter or tanks) use either void shift or guardian spirit. (careful with voidshift, as if you take any splash damage after your heroic rescue you are right rogered unless your divine bulwark or desperate prayer saves you.

That said, numerically you are not far from what your raid team needs you to do for this encounter. Chiefly it is just where you allocate your mana. Save some for rampages 5-7 (or 4-7 depending on your heal team) as that is when you will NEED it.

Lastly don't be like me. Do not be shy about asking for Mana Tide, Hymn of Hope from other priests, or even an innervate. If you need mana ASK!

Good luck cupcake, Megaera is a wet diaper fight when you progress through it the first time, but I have faith in you!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Holy has always been the most mana starved of any healer I've played. My Priest is Holy/Disc and right now her gear is slanted towards Disc. I'm at the point where I'm going to redo her gear to add a little more Spirit etc and let my Disc spec deal with it until one day when I'm lucky enough to have two sets of the same gear to do with as I please. :)

As pointed out, you should be using Divine Hymn more often. The cd isn't that long, especially given the length of the raid encounters now-a-days. You definitely want to be using it off of cd. Speak to your co-healers about rotation of healing cd's. It will help take some burden off of them.

I typically use Body and Soul for both spec's movement speed increases. One is that it's easy, two you can instantly give it to another player without worrying about positioning and three, even though it is much weaker in Holy than in Disc it still offers some protection from whatever it is you're trying to get out of. Part of it is personal preference - just offering a different perspective from lllu.

As others have said, mind bender is your best friend. You and he will go on many mana claiming adventures together and you will find yourself hitting his key in desperation at times just needing one more fix. I normally aim for 80% mana then every time he comes off cd there after. I will launch him earlier if we're about to enter a high damage phase to help keep my mana from getting low and to close the gap on how long I have to wait to use him again after that phase. Something to keep in mind.

I never use sanctuary unless I'm bored, have excess mana and want pretty sparkles. I'll admit the graphic is pretty and it can be fun to toss out in an easy heroic before I go into chastise and smite my bored self to victory. But in terms of healing it's a mana hog and just not worth it for how much mana it costs.

Flash heal just isn't worth it unless you've got someone, especially a tank or another healer, with one foot in the grave. You'll run out of mana even faster trying to use it to bolster anything.

I honestly don't know about Cascade during that fight. I typically use Cascade under the following circumstances due to mana cost:

1. I'm moving and can't stop and the raid/group desperately needs heals and my CoH is on cd or won't cut it.

2. I have the mana to spare so it's not a big deal to use it to help with AoE raid damage, especially during spread fights.

3. I'm bored, so I throw down sanctuary then put Cascade on the person in the middle to watch the pretty sparkles before switching to DPS to keep myself awake.

I'm honestly not sure as Holy in this fight. I'm also unsure if it would be better to run with your Lightwell glyphed or not. I typically have my glyphed since I don't actively do normals right now and deal with strangers all the time. Since I have a lack of trust in them actually doing anything (including moving) to keep themselves alive I've basically automated my lightwell to do that for me. With a group of people you know I would hope you could trust them click when they should.

The thing with that fight is I don't know if Lightspring is superior or not. A Holy Priest far more experienced would have to answer that one.

I honestly think things will get a bit easier for you if you stop casting sanctuary, use mindbender like a junkie and organize to get more Divine Hymns off. Those things alone will save you a good portion of mana, get your back mana every minute and do a good amount of healing to help ease the burden of the other healers, respectively.

HPS isn't necessarily a good tool to use to measure healing. I could walk into that fight in Holy, pull 70-80k HPS but that's because cinders got dispelled in the middle of the group and the raid just sits in it, I guess to soak up the flavoring. Those higher numbers don't mean anything good. It means I'm trying to keep the group up through not only a mistake but through stupid and wasting mana that will be much needed later on.

While it can be entertaining to see just how many HPS you've pulled at times, if you want to use numbers use the percents. HPS can have huge differences in them with the percents being really close together. Paying attention to what your co-healers are casting can also help if there are mana problems. I've met some healers who were really good normally but one fight for whatever reason stressed them out and they would spam themselves oom. They'd be fine on fights before and after. If mana is an issue for all healers it might be wise to run logs and get a better idea of what people are doing and where things are going wrong.
Reply Quote
95 Human Priest
I just want to add to what others have said. I feel Megaera is a tough test on mana management, even more so in 10m than 25m.

The first time we killed this boss in 10m with 3 heals, up to the 3rd Rampage, there weren't really much damage. Then, I felt I used all of my mana on the 4th one. The increased number of poison pool attacks made the later part the fight an aoe fest, i.e., mana intensive.

So, it's better to have mana CDs planned out for 4th through 6th. Each head takes about 1 minute to kill, so Mindbender can be used every time. I like to use Mindbender after healing Rampage, so I can use Hymn of Hope with it if I need it (usually after the 5th), without affecting healing much.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Holy is really tough to swing without 12k spirit OR the Legendary Meta. Especially when you're reforging to haste.

Here's some tips...

For your current gear, you'll want these stat priorities: Haste to 3039 > Spirit > Mastery > Crit

Unglyph your renew if your haste is between 3039 and 4721

Take Divine Insight. Make a weak aura for it.

Use Mindbender and Soothing Shado-pan talisman on CD. Use them early and often.

Save Cascade for times when it's needed, do not use it on CD. On Meg, I like to use mine as the poison bomb is traveling down to it's target.

Don't use HW:Sanctuary, it's not nearly as good as CoH/PoH/PoM

I recommend using Vuhdo for raid frames. It has a aoe helper that will show your optimal CoH/PoH target. It's fantastic.

Holy is a reactive healing spec. You'll really need to wait until the group takes damage for you to start healing it back, otherwise, you're just overhealing and wasting your mana. So relax. Don't feel like you have to mash every button on CD.

If you're just rolling renews and refreshing in Serenity Chakra, use Heal. Also keep in mind Cascade refreshes renew too...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Divine star is better for Megaera.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Divine star is better for Megaera.

It can be. It all depends where people are falling behind in healing. When we were doing normal it was quite common to have a harder time keeping up with the damage inbetween rampages, due to our head kill order. My advice would be to identify which phase is giving you the most problems, and pick your t90 talent accordingly.

But yeah, if you do end up taking cascade, try to refrain from using it during rampages. With that tight a stack you are honestly just better off spamming PoH+divine insight procs.
Edited by Mythrose on 7/2/2013 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thank you for all the responses. I will go back and redo my forges to mastery instead of haste. I thought my mastery wouldn't mean anything since Im just backing up the tank healer. I'll also redo some glyphs. And I will definatly take HW sparkle floor off my bars.
As for log reports, I do have some, I just have to find all the links.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-hm6jc7vwr5s1v1ub/
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-o5bcrjnwm7bk0fma/
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-xi0lzqkwwa9hvr15/

Those are all the ones I could find. Initially we tried the lfr way, GRGRGRG, then we tried BRBRBRB. We even tried BRGBRGB. The consensus with the guild seems to be B and R are the easiest to deal with. No matter which way we try, we always get stuck on the 4th head.
I will mention using my DH on 3rd and 6th head.
Reply Quote
95 Human Priest
We do GRGRBGR. We only kill one Blue because we don't like kiting (and probably not good at it either). However, this fight is where each team has their own strategy that best fits. If BR works for you, just need to remind your raid to watch out the icy ground when moving about.

I wonder if BRG is a good way to start though. After you killed Green, you could have icy ground and green poison pools at the same time. My experience on kill orders is limited though. Others would give more insight on this.

I see in your log that raid wide damage went up after killing the 3rd head before going to 4th Rampage. You also mentioned mana was an issue for all healers. I looked at the log for your disc priest. I think his spell choices are not helping. He should be able to keep both tanks shielded and get more mana back from Rapture. If his talent is as shown in the armory right now, it needs some changes for raiding. FDCL is not a good Disc talent.
Edited by Jesminia on 7/3/2013 9:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
FDCL is not a good talent.

FTFY

At least in PvE
On live
Holies don't want it because it only procs (and skimpy amounts of procs at that)
from heal, binding heal, flash heal and greater heal.
Discs on live PvE do not want it because the do not generally use heal or greater heal and...I am not sure how often they flash heal, my experience has been not much.
Shadow doesn't want it in PvE on live because zomg insanity.

So yeah, no. I don't know any priests who take FDCL on live.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
07/03/2013 04:52 PMPosted by Winnifred
FDCL is not a good talent.

FTFY

At least in PvE
On live
Holies don't want it because it only procs (and skimpy amounts of procs at that)
from heal, binding heal, flash heal and greater heal.
Discs on live PvE do not want it because the do not generally use heal or greater heal and...I am not sure how often they flash heal, my experience has been not much.
Shadow doesn't want it in PvE on live because zomg insanity.

So yeah, no. I don't know any priests who take FDCL on live.

It does also proc from Smite, which means that Disc actually gets a steady stream of procs from it. Unfortunately, it's just too much RNG, you often get procs when you dont need them, and the other talents on the tier are just better.

Which is a shame, because I want to like FDCL.

I use it for Shadow anyway, though. I know it's not as strong as Insanity, but I don't like how Insanity forces me to use Mind Flay right after DP, it restricts my rotation and cripples my dps if I have to miss casting Mind Flay because of movement. I prefer the freedom that FDCL allows, especially since I can use the procs to fill any gaps in my rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Press PoH a lot
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Go take a look at some of the top tier Holy Priests and you may see FDCL sitting in their talents. Just saying.

Yes it is situational and I agree that FDCL is not that great right now, and mindbender is much more efficient as a click and forget mana regen, although you might be surprised how efficient it is sit in Chastise and hard cast smite (with PoM/CoH on CD) and use the procs to heal and then use serendipity at 2 stacks or even 1. With smite having a cost of around 600 mana I think and with holy's healing style being reactive it is an efficient way to regain mana and still put out heals in low damage phases. Something that people who know how to manage mana don't need to do and something probably no one is doing but hey, not trying to win a popularity contest here or do things the easy way. I am also a 10 man raider so I can see how ineffective that would be in 25 man as there is a lot more damage to handle.

Anyway my main point is that with the changes in 5.4 to FDCL I think it will become the most popular of that tree. With CoH, PoM, and PoH being added it will be procing alot more and that combined with the 2 set serendipity heal buff will means a large amount of cheap, quick, and 200% PoH that can proc a flash heal, that will give you a faster, buffed PoH and so on and so forth. That in combination with the DI PoM that will now proc FDCL will make it even more powerful. Yeah it will be a little RNGeeeee but I think that if you're geared up mana shouldn't be a huge issue if playing correctly anyways. I'm glad to see blizz trying to make the lesser used talents more enticing for players to use.

Also my group does BRBRGRB for meg and it is super easy. Just make sure you assign healing targets and if you get the blue beam run straight back. Which ever healer gets it calls out they have it and the raid healer can spot heal their tank. There is almost no raid damage and not too much RNG to deal with. If you have healers that know how to move and communicate efficiently it is definitely the easiest way to do that fight. Also, there should not really be any damage to heal with BRBRGRB until the 5th head or so in the non-rampage. If your tanks are cycling cooldowns efficiently and people are moving for fire debuff well then healing should be minimal. Meg is all about quick movement, quick dispells, and correct CD usage.
Edited by Torantine on 7/4/2013 4:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
We managed to get past our main block (right at the 4th head), and with all the changed I made, I was practically full mana the entire fight. I think I was t 70% mana at the point I was typically at 1%.
We did change to GRGRBGR, not sure if it made the fight easier or not. It's a matter of, is it easier to run straight back and avoid ice, or try to avoid the swirls of poison.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
We managed to get past our main block (right at the 4th head), and with all the changed I made, I was practically full mana the entire fight. I think I was t 70% mana at the point I was typically at 1%.
We did change to GRGRBGR, not sure if it made the fight easier or not. It's a matter of, is it easier to run straight back and avoid ice, or try to avoid the swirls of poison.

Glad to hear it!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]