So why even play BM anymore?

66 Troll Hunter
I played BM in PvP all through Cata and MoP, not because it was OP (was actually a weak spec in Cata) but because I liked spirit beasts' graphics and thought the self healing was cool. I don't want to play MM / SV because those specs are all about damage and don't have spirit beasts or self-healing.

At MoP's release BM to my surprise finally became top-notch (though arguably no better than a bunch of other classes at MoP's release), but look at what's happened since then:

1) Lynx rush turned into a DoT - basically taken away for PvP

2) 5 x Spirit Mend during stampede nerfed by 75% on 4 pets - was a strong self heal but no better than second wind, warlock heals, any hybrid's heals and had a 5 min cooldown. Taken away

3) Stampede itself nerfed to uselessness - no buffs, no spider net, no owl disarm..basically a 1% damage cooldown now. Is this less DPS than mirror image?

4) Blink Strike nerfed in damage. At least it's one less button to click

5) Narrow Escape's nets break on damage. Maybe warranted since most roots work this way, but either way a huge nerf

6) Bestial Wrath no longer gives pets immunity to CC

7) Loss of baseline intimidation. Sure we can get it back through a talent, but we basically lose one talent point AKA an important ability and have to give up something else

8) Readiness doesn't reset bestial wrath. Huge loss of damage for BM + one less CC counter

9) Readiness doesn't reset traps, scatter shot, silencing shot, intimidation, or master's call. Not a BM nerf specifically but a huge one for all hunters

10) Loss of silencing shot - is it even possible to PvP without an interrupt/silence in MoP? Its cooldown was also increased by 4 seconds last patch

That's ten HUGE nerfs, none of which had any sort of compensation that I can recall. So, my question is - why would anyone even play BM anymore?
Is Blizzard basically saying that if I enjoy PvPing as BM spec, I should just quit because I'm playing the game 'incorrectly'? Not sure what the rationale for this could be, but it certainly removes the fun of the game for me.
Edited by Me on 6/27/2013 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
If you like the spec, you will play it regardless of its current state. I'm starting to do arenas now and even that I'm getting more ROFLstomped than I should, I'm learning. Even without silencing shot and no compensation for the loss of it, I enjoy the spec. I enjoy having any raid buff I want, depending on the active pet and I enjoy the way it should really be played (rather than popping everything out, together with double-silencing + pet stun). I won't quit because of some nerfs.

I mean, even if BM becomes less than average, shouldn't winning with it be even more rewarding? Because a good player can do wonders when he excels at a spec, I'm starting to see that (only occasionally, since I'm at low brackets). Spec experience is better than be the FOTM, right?
Edited by Trolligado on 6/27/2013 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
well BM does stand for bowel movement so if they weren't turning it to crap I'd be surprised
Reply Quote
66 Troll Hunter
Sure it's fun to win with an underpowered spec. It's not fun to have a completely viable spec at first and then have abilities you've learned to use be taken away
Edited by Me on 6/27/2013 12:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I have no idea where you get this notion that BM has more self-heals than MM, but MM is definitely the top self-healing spec for hunters. Yes, BM gets spirit beasts, but chimera shot should do more healing over time I believe. Of course, I might be mistaken about this.
Reply Quote
It's not fun to have a completely viable spec at first and then have abilities you've learned to use be taken away
You act like hunters aren't the best class in the game.
  • DPS while moving
  • Instant cast CCs
  • Silencing shot is still there (for now)
  • Pets do all the work for you
  • Arcane shot until the target dies
  • Reply Quote
    90 Troll Hunter
    06/27/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Harbínger

What a way to ignore Elemental Shamans, Feral Druids, Frost Mages, and Ret Pallys.

It's not fun to have a completely viable spec at first and then have abilities you've learned to use be taken away
  • DPS while moving
  • Instant cast CCs

• Please, play a Hunter and understand better our class:

• DPS while moving -> no decent heals/damage mitigation (except a 2-min CD deterrence which is less than a bubble), so do u want us to stand still? LOL
  • Instant cast CCs -> what? do you mean a 1.5 min, 3 sec pet stun or our VERY flawy and unreliable scatterTrap, which tanks can eat instead of our main target?
  • Silencing shot is still there (for now) -> exactly
  • Pets do all the work for you -> pets die if we let them go free. We make them do the work.
  • Arcane shot until the target dies -> I was doing that. Please, see my arena rating to see if it works.
  • Edited by Trolligado on 6/27/2013 2:12 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    66 Troll Hunter
    Look I'm not trying to make a thread complaining about hunters being bad overall compared to other classes.

I'm just saying if it's the developer's goal to have people..I don't know..ENJOY the game, it's counter-productive to just plain decide that X spec should be the 'real' PvP spec and drastically nerf other spec(s) to encourage you to swap to it.

I'm fine with nerfs if it's adjustments to damage / healing numbers and that type of thing, but, for example - to let all specs use silencing shot for a year, and then say "actually, only MM should get it. If you are BM/SV..tough luck, you aren't the PvP spec anymore"...why would anybody be happy?

It'd be akin to frost mages being nerfed all expansion and then finally losing counterspell because Blizzard's new plan is to make arcane mages the main PvP spec. Counterspell is, after all, an arcane spell. "You enjoyed having a pet and locking people down with frost? Tough luck, that's not the PvP spec now. Go arcane or be gimped"
    Edited by Me on 6/27/2013 4:35 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Hunter
    There wont be a reason to play BM next patch unless there is a lot of "compensation" for losing silence shot and readiness.

I've always either played MM or BM whichever is either more enjoyable or powerful.

Ive found BM very enjoyable since Cata but I won't be sticking with it if it gets nerfed to uselessness.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Hunter
    They seem to be under the impression that the only way to make MM more attractive is to give them silencing shot, and keep it away from the other specs. But, that has not been the issue, according to many hunters. The main issue that has been declared, by many hunters, has been the damage that MM does, as compared against BM and SV. Silencing Shot is really only serving as a gimmick to distract people from the obvious fact that MM is under-performing as a dps spec.

So, the other specs get lacerated, while MM remains a crappy dps spec that's able to interrupt.
    Reply Quote
    90 Worgen Hunter
    I'll keep playing BM.

Even if I am the last BM still playing, I will continue to do so.
    Reply Quote
    I have played since 2008, I quit the very beginning of cata due to rl. I came back about a week ago. All I can say is play what you enjoy. Every class/spec goes up and eventually comes down.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warrior
  • DPS while moving
  • Instant cast CCs
  • since every hunter is BM and the pet does all the work , how then does it matter if he can dps and move? lawl
    instant CC thats an even bigger joke scatter shot then set a trap , arm time boom CC finaly done somehow that doesnt seem instant and its got a 30 sec cool down spammable CC > 30 sec CD CC
    Edited by Trickdirtyx on 6/28/2013 6:46 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Pandaren Hunter
    06/28/2013 06:42 AMPosted by Trickdirtyx
    since every hunter is BM

I'm not :(
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Hunter
    Im lazy, I run in survival most of the time, even on single target fights.

Now im not in heroic raid content, so the small difference doesnt matter much to me.

SV is easier to dps in than BM (dont have to maximize KC usage, dont have to manage focus pool for BW, dont have to worry as much about pet bugging out and forgeting to use its basic atacks, or get stuck in the floor 60 yards away from maegra and being out of los).

Pet cant do all our dps with all the bugs, we have to fight them to keep them from bugging out and costing us 50% of our dps.

SV doesnt have to build near focus cap for a big cd, nor does it have to constantly micro manage its pet (pet will find its way to the target eventualy in most situations, we lose some dps from this, but not nearly as much as BM).

SV has a much more simple rotation, even with readiness as it currently is.
    Edited by Eurugan on 6/28/2013 7:46 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Dwarf Hunter
    PvP on the PTR is painful to say the least. I have not even attempted PvE. I have tried using MM to pvp but its just not there yet.

Do not hold your breath for compensation. There will be none coming.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Hunter
    So why even play BM anymore?

I have a better question: Why even play a hunter anymore?

Why don't you reroll and fill up another class's forum with your whine? A class who actually needs it? If you're really unable to win a fight because you can't smash your BW twice anymore, then you were playing the wrong class to begin with.

I'm glad we're not struggling in arenas anymore, but I'm starting to wonder if the BM faceroll attracting all these spoiled brats is worse. Please, for the love of God, just reroll.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]