Misses...

90 Orc Death Knight
Get rid of them. At least 75% of my pet battles are won or lost on misses, and it ruins the battle either way. It's like a game of chess where a pawn randomly dodges your attack and your queen gets taken... it completely negates strategy, and it's frustrating and makes the whole affair seem pointless every time it happens, which seems to be the majority of the time.

It's a bad system. Before, it was bad, no question... but I've pretty much stopped pet battling other than killing time when I'm in queue, or out of rotation in my raid... I used to actually do it for fun, even though misses would occasionally ruin the fight, because it was, overall, still fun. The only huge issue was, indeed, those misses ruining the fights... which you "fixed" by multiplying the amount of pet battles lost to misses many times over.

It's... a bit miserable right now.
90 Human Paladin
Get rid of them. At least 75% of my pet battles are won or lost on misses, and it ruins the battle either way. It's like a game of chess where a pawn randomly dodges your attack and your queen gets taken... it completely negates strategy, and it's frustrating and makes the whole affair seem pointless every time it happens, which seems to be the majority of the time.

It's a bad system. Before, it was bad, no question... but I've pretty much stopped pet battling other than killing time when I'm in queue, or out of rotation in my raid... I used to actually do it for fun, even though misses would occasionally ruin the fight, because it was, overall, still fun. The only huge issue was, indeed, those misses ruining the fights... which you "fixed" by multiplying the amount of pet battles lost to misses many times over.

No, you don't lose 75% of ur matches due to RNG. You just focus to much on that last miss that would have killed your opponents pet that last turn. You don't focus on the misses that might have happened during the match, or crits for that matter. If you count those misses/crits that favored you in the beginning of the fight you may have never even gotten as far as almost landing the KB.

Plus ur using powerful abilities which trade accuracy for power. Take away the miss % and you lose the extra damage or keep the damage and except (it's your choice after all) that will be missing frequently with those high powered 15% miss chance abilties.
Edited by Annimositty on 7/1/2013 5:14 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Monk
It was bad when pets could innately dodge abilities.

It's perfectly fine now that each ability has its own chance to miss, and the base dodge is gone.
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB

So you preferred pre 5.3's system?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
hopefully blizz assigns new developers to pet battles for the next patch :)

and same with pets of the same speed.... we have the same speed but my pet has a 120% chance of going second.... gg blizz

.... aww not this hearus guy again... seriously dude
Edited by Araxom on 7/2/2013 6:41 PM PDT
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
UE

Well your current team has some 85% hit chance skills. Add that with the darkness or sandstorms that are common and I see where you get your 75% chance number from.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
75% is still 3/4 ..... constantly those moves miss multiple times in a row. debuff or not.... fail blizz

and don't fret too much on the misses right now. with the amount of negative feedback these guys are getting on the issue they will fix it. or at the very least fire the developers who came up with it haha
Edited by Lightsgrace on 7/1/2013 5:48 PM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
75% is still 3/4 ..... constantly those moves miss multiple times in a row. debuff or not.... fail blizz

Do you think 75%(arbitrary number btw but you guys are using it so...) negates somehow multiple misses in a row? Are you not aware that even 95% chance to hit powers can and will miss multiple times in a row? What are you expecting exactly? Do you think the numbers are wrong? Because there is a ton of data that states that things are working just fine.
UE

and don't fret too much on the misses right now. with the amount of negative feedback these guys are getting on the issue they will fix it. or at the very least fire the developers who came up with it haha
I think there is more positive feedback about the current system instead of negative. There's what a thread every few days complaining about it out of how many pet battlers? They aren't gong to remove the rng and the rng is not as large as deciding 75% of matches.
90 Human Paladin
If they removed RNG, it would get rid of any strategy involved. There would be two teams, one that runs whatever pets have been figured out to do the highest damage attacks the most often, and one that's built entirely to heal through it and deal moderate damage to wear the opponent down. The way it is now, you can't rely on getting that big hit every couple turns, you have to build a team that has good synergy.
07/01/2013 05:50 PMPosted by Hearus
Do you think 75%(arbitrary number btw but you guys are using it so...)
Anubisath spamming Demolish while under the effect of Stink.

Suddenly, 75% chance to miss.
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
07/01/2013 06:14 PMPosted by Stax
Do you think 75%(arbitrary number btw but you guys are using it so...)
Anubisath spamming Demolish while under the effect of Stink.

Suddenly, 75% chance to miss.

Yea skunk/storm teams is pretty arbitrary. And that is even if -acc debuffs stack, which has been in question before and never fully resolved.
90 Night Elf Druid
it completely negates strategy.

I agree, why turn this into a competitive system. Let the pve'rs have fun without stress. Isn't that what this secondary system should be? lol
90 Orc Death Knight
It's arbitrary, Hearus makes the point very well, that even 5% miss chance is unacceptable and can lead to strings of misses (all it takes it one miss to ruin it, in a game of strategy) in this format... taking it from 5%, to being 5-15%, just makes them ridiculously less fun, far less fun than the deeply flawed system we had before. I chose 75% as a way to be humble, it's obviously 100% of pet battles decided by misses, unless everyone is using a 100% hit chance pet. It's likely to go one way or the other, but in the end, it's RNG. Where the miss is makes little difference... increasing something gamebreaking does not improve it. Saying that removing the arbitrary, random nature of it would remove the strategy, is like saying there's no strategy in chess without some arbitrary, random factor to it... it's obviously nonsensical and untrue, which shouldn't need to be pointed out, but just in case...
90 Blood Elf Priest
BnB
It's arbitrary, Hearus makes the point very well, that even 5% miss chance is unacceptable and can lead to strings of misses (all it takes it one miss to ruin it, in a game of strategy) in this format... taking it from 5%, to being 5-15%, just makes them ridiculously less fun, far less fun than the deeply flawed system we had before. I chose 75% as a way to be humble, it's obviously 100% of pet battles decided by misses, unless everyone is using a 100% hit chance pet. It's likely to go one way or the other, but in the end, it's RNG. Where the miss is makes little difference... increasing something gamebreaking does not improve it. Saying that removing the arbitrary, random nature of it would remove the strategy, is like saying there's no strategy in chess without some arbitrary, random factor to it... it's obviously nonsensical and untrue, which shouldn't need to be pointed out, but just in case...

What is people's fascination with chess?! I can see the pokemon comparisons that come around every now and then. The chess one I just fail to see any connection whatsoever.
90 Night Elf Druid
If they removed RNG, it would get rid of any strategy involved. There would be two teams, one that runs whatever pets have been figured out to do the highest damage attacks the most often, and one that's built entirely to heal through it and deal moderate damage to wear the opponent down. The way it is now, you can't rely on getting that big hit every couple turns, you have to build a team that has good synergy.

The strategy is to figure out which moves to use when and in which order. If this does not provide enough strategy then give all pets a fourth skill. The tamers can still choose abilities at random.
90 Orc Hunter
07/01/2013 06:03 PMPosted by Arriay
If they removed RNG, it would get rid of any strategy involved. There would be two teams, one that runs whatever pets have been figured out to do the highest damage attacks the most often, and one that's built entirely to heal through it and deal moderate damage to wear the opponent down.

This is the best argument in favor of RNG I have ever seen, and it's kind of horrifying how true it is. One of us would come up with the ideal pets, breeds, movesets, and order and post it, and then it would turn into 'who knows the right way to do it' and 'who doesn't and gets creamed'.
90 Draenei Hunter
It was bad when pets could innately dodge abilities.

It's perfectly fine now that each ability has its own chance to miss, and the base dodge is gone.
I believe that's what is know as one man's opinion.
100 Orc Hunter

Total crap. RNG is what harms strategy, currently it's not who has the best strategy in half the games, it's who misses, crits, ect. That isn't strategy, it's luck.

07/01/2013 08:19 PMPosted by Ryxl
If they removed RNG, it would get rid of any strategy involved. There would be two teams, one that runs whatever pets have been figured out to do the highest damage attacks the most often, and one that's built entirely to heal through it and deal moderate damage to wear the opponent down.

This is the best argument in favor of RNG I have ever seen, and it's kind of horrifying how true it is. One of us would come up with the ideal pets, breeds, movesets, and order and post it, and then it would turn into 'who knows the right way to do it' and 'who doesn't and gets creamed'.

And that's different from now exactly how? There would still be the exact same random chance of your opponents having a team that counters yours, they have made a wide enough range of pets, types and abilities that no one team can beat every other. The only difference now is that even if you play more strategically than your opponent, you can still lose to RNG, or indeed play worse and win due to RNG....which as I keep saying on every one of these threads I bother responding to, is why it has supporters imo ;p It's the people who're either playing the 'safest' ie stall team or who can't manage to win without getting lucky.
UE
It's the people who're either playing the 'safest' ie stall team or who can't manage to win without getting lucky.
I play a triple undead Scourged Whelp, Lost of Lorderaen, Spirit Crab team. It's not a stall team or a luck team. There is strategy in building teams and playing them. The people complaining about luck probably aren't winning as often as they should.

The chess one I just fail to see any connection whatsoever.
I think people use chess as an example because they want zero rng. It's hard to blame a chess loss on luck and easy to blame a pet battle loss on it.

Total crap. RNG is what harms strategy, currently it's not who has the best strategy in half the games, it's who misses, crits, ect. That isn't strategy, it's luck.
I don't think that's true at all. I would say most wins come down to who built the best team or has the best matchup and who played the team the best they could. I think losses based purely on rng are a small number.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]