Troll/Goblin racial after haste cap?

90 Orc Monk
I recently fell in love with healing, and have decided I want to play as all of the healer classes because of how fun I find the role :)
My next toon to level is going to be a RSham, but I wasn't sure what race to go with, so I looked at the racials between goblin and troll. They both have haste bonuses, but I'm going to be reaching the haste cap anyways, which makes me wonder if those two racial bonuses are useful at all once I've reached the cap? Or is it just a wasted racial after that?
Thx in advance,Anoss the Light of Dawn
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Troll is generally superior to Goblin for Shaman, because Berserking used with Healing Tide Totem adds a nice amount of extra output. Goblin lets you allocate ~420 haste itemization points into Crit, Spirit or Mastery when gearing to breakpoints, but Berserking used with HTT will increase your output quite a bit more than extra secondary stats.

I would also go with Pandaren ahead of Goblin, because 300 INT or 300 Spirit is superior to the haste that you save. For Horde resto Shaman racials, it's generally

Troll = Pandaren > Goblin > Orc >>>>>> Tauren
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Why does Berserking affect HTT? I don't see how one would be impacted by the other or vice versa because how would totems be affected by spell haste?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Why does Berserking affect HTT? I don't see how one would be impacted by the other or vice versa because how would totems be affected by spell haste?

Because the CD of Berserking lines up exactly with the CD of HTT (both are 3 minutes), so you would generally just macro the two together. Totems have haste breakpoints, and Berserking with HTT will give you at least one extra tick. For example, I get 7 ticks of HTT instead of the 6 I would get with my current haste level by using it with Berserking. In theory, that makes HTT heal for about 17% more.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Elemental shaman, balance druids, and shadow priests all bring a 5% spell haste buff, which do indeed affect totems, so I would assume Berserking does the same? Check out

http://elitistjerks.com/f79/t130574-resto_its_raining_heals_5_3_a/

... scroll down to the big block of red text discussing Haste breakpoints; the paragraph in normal-coloured font below the red text is where I found the info to verify that the 5% raid buff brought by ele/boomkin/spriest is spell haste.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Elemental shaman, balance druids, and shadow priests all bring a 5% spell haste buff, which do indeed affect totems, so I would assume Berserking does the same? Check out

... scroll down to the big block of red text discussing Haste breakpoints; the paragraph in normal-coloured font below the red text is where I found the info to verify that the 5% raid buff brought by ele/boomkin/spriest is spell haste.

Yes - Heroism, Berserking, Elemental Mastery, and any other source of cooldown based haste (trinkets, etc) affect totem haste breakpoints. Totem breakpoints are not 100% reliable unlike standard HoT/DoT breakpoints, because they can vary slightly based on latency. However, you will always gain at least +1 tick of HTT when used with Berserking, and generally +2 to +3 ticks when used with Berserking and Elemental Mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Now, is HTT a good enough heal to match up with the CD racial ability?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Now, is HTT a good enough heal to match up with the CD racial ability?

Yes - it is by far our strongest heal, both in terms of burst and output within a 10 second window. There would be nothing else better to use it with, just as Troll Druids should always link Berserking with Tranquility.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
As helpful as that is, it doesn't exactly answer my question :p

Once I reach the haste cap, is the troll racial totally wasted? If I am haste capped, will the 30% haste active racial do anything for me? Or is just aesthetic at that point, or does it actually affect anything?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
06/27/2013 07:27 AMPosted by Anoss
Once I reach the haste cap,

You can not reach haste cap so it will never be wasted.

edit: imo troll is far and away the best racial for horde. Panderan is nice but if you die and anhk your racial is a wash.
Edited by Taelaus on 6/27/2013 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
Can anybody confirm this? I could have sworn that 12.5% was the haste cap or something like that?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Can anybody confirm this? I could have sworn that 12.5% was the haste cap or something like that?

We don't have a hard cap. The haste caps are honestly just soft caps.

The cap that the pally is referring to is the point at which haste is no longer benefitting anything

The cap you are talking about is breakpoints for increasing healing out put.

Think about Heroism (bloodlust). You're still benefitting from that haste increase even though its putting you WAY over 12.5%
Edited by Dailee on 6/27/2013 9:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There are no caps, just break points when it comes to haste. Theoretically there are caps but they are not reachable in current gear.

edit: for your reference on haste breakpoints

http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=41
Edited by Taelaus on 6/27/2013 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

12.51% is one of the lower haste *breakpoints* you can choose to gear for. It gives you an extra tick on your Earthliving HoT (which is passively applied).

There are breakpoints which require far more haste than that; I'm currently gearing for 20.01% Haste (for 1 extra tick on HTT, and 2 extra ticks on HST) but I have sometimes geared for 30% Haste (for 2 extra Healing Rain ticks).

The elitist jerks link I provided earlier gives extensive information on Haste and resto shaman healing; read the block of red text in specific, and there's a chart which shows how much Haste rating you need depending on what raid buffs you have/talents you've chosen/Goblin racial.

As Taelaus mentions, Totemspot is another place to get resto shaman information outside of the battle.net forums here.
Edited by Ellarix on 6/27/2013 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I would assume that the hard cap would be 100% haste. Haste also affects GCD but cannot bring it below 1s.

Good luck getting 100% haste outside stacking heroism/bloodlust with haste trinket procs or the dps metagem.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]