Non-click healing help

51 Orc Shaman
I know everyone has their own way of playing, but i keep reading that for the most part if you don't use a healing addon you can be a better healer. I know the mouseover macros, but any suggestions to getting away from being a click healer would be great! What frames do you use, macro setups and such. I started this Shaman just to learn it from a fresh start(i've healed with a 90 paladin and my priest)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I know everyone has their own way of playing, but i keep reading that for the most part if you don't use a healing addon you can be a better healer. I know the mouseover macros, but any suggestions to getting away from being a click healer would be great! What frames do you use, macro setups and such. I started this Shaman just to learn it from a fresh start(i've healed with a 90 paladin and my priest)

Really?

Heh.

All a healing addon does is condense a lot of information into one small area. I fail to see how making it harder to see the things you NEED to see would make you a "better" healer.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Honestly? I don't use a healing add-on. I use the wow raid frames + mouseover macros. Every single one of my healing spells is key-bound.

Click healing is incredibly slow. Just using mouseover macros will increase your reaction speed by an incredible amount.

Other healers I know prefer Vuhdo or Grid. Some use healbot but customize it to the point it's unrecognizable as healbot.

Those who use Grid usually combine it with Clique, which binds your spells to mouse-clicks. Same thing as mouseover-macros, just bound to the mouse. Vuhdo comes with a clique-type component built into it.

I think some people still use Pitbull, but I don't hear it mentioned much anymore.
Reply Quote
51 Orc Shaman
The one time i tired using mouseover macros it didn't go well. Probably because I'm just not used to it. But That's why i'm leveling this Shaman to learn it along with the class. And it always sucks if you play on someone else's computer and the addons aren't there.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The one time i tired using mouseover macros it didn't go well. Probably because I'm just not used to it. But That's why i'm leveling this Shaman to learn it along with the class. And it always sucks if you play on someone else's computer and the addons aren't there.

Efficient healing depends heavily on muscle memory. You aren't going to have that the first time you use a healing addon or mouseover macros. There is a learning curve.
Reply Quote
Relevant: http://xkcd.com/378/

Also, i don't really understand your post. "Healing" addons usually mean click-mouseover functionality. Raid Frames are raid frames, any of the popular ones will work for you.

If you mean clicking cds or other abilities from the action bar, that's just keybinding-learning curve.

At anyrate, start with something simple with your most commonly used heals (earth bind, HW, Riptide, dispel) on mouseovers and a couple cds keybound and practice using those. Then add more as you feel comfortable
Edited by Evry on 6/26/2013 10:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Efficient healing depends heavily on muscle memory

Healing takes experience and patience. Skill will come.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Let me start by saying this is my own personal opinion, and everyone has their own style.
That being said I myself do not use mouse-over macros, I just don't like them. While I do not deny that they can be great, and improve reaction time, they just bug me.
All of my spells are keybound however, and I use the standard blizzard raid frames.
An example for you would be on my shaman I have earth shield on E, riptide on R, greater healing wave on G, the flash heal (surging wave? I forget) on F, chain heal on V, and I like my healing rain on shift+Z. I usually have cooldowns on shiftkeys, as you press them less often as the regular spells. Things like healing stream totem on shift+F, healing tide on shift+X, etc.
Many of those keys play over to my other toons, like having renewing mist bound to R, or rejuve on my druid also to R, and I find it helps me remember that key is a basic non-mana devastating HoT.
But like I say, everyone has their own style, and you just have to find one that works for you.
Reply Quote
51 Orc Shaman
I'm just being easily frustrated. Slowly learning the blizzard UI pretty much is showing me everything i need(mainly keeping an eye on buffs/debuffs). It's kinda like trying to quit a bad habit....but i'm having a easier time with a new character and not jumping in the middle of it with my 90
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I used to play the way Fooshu did, with everything keybound and nothing mouseover-macro'd. I didn't understand the point behind mouseover-macros because I was like,"Everything is keybound. Why bother?"

But then I tried it out and now I can't heal without mouseover-macros. The increase in reaction time is phenomenal when you don't have to target someone, then hit your keybound to heal them, but instead just hover your mouse over them and hit your heal. Taking out one step creates a huge leap in efficiency.

As for getting used to keybinds/mouseover macros, it just takes time to learn. I started playing with keybindings, so it's muscle memory for me.

Something that helps me when I keybind for new characters is to choose the keybinds I use most frequently on my main for their more common spells and switch things around when I need to. My keybindings are a little weird compared to others, because my main row of spells are bound to q, e, f, g, shift-t, t, shift-f, shift-e, shift-g, and shift-w.

Yes, that's right. I unbind strafe. Mouse-strafing works better for me anyway :P

As for buffs/debuffs---if you are using the wow raid frames, they show up in the lower left hand corner. I personally would recommend decursive -- cleansing/dispelling is the only thing I click to do b/c of the way decursive works.

But yeah, it just takes getting used to. Once you get used to it, however, you'll start to wonder how you ever played without keybindings/mouseover macros before. I know I wonder how I ever managed to heal well when I had to target someone and then hit a keybind to heal them. Sometimes I try it on alts that I level and it is agonizingly slow.
Reply Quote
51 Orc Shaman
I'm not a strafer either! ha. I use S,D,F,E as my movement keys. it has a more natural feel for me and gives a few more keys you can reach without having to move your hand. But this all being said, after a night of using the mouseover macros with the keybinds i'm starting to get a little used to it and i do see a big difference in reaction time. Getting used to this on my already 90 paladin might take a little time but i have a feeling i'm gonna like it a lot better!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I'm not a strafer either! ha. I use S,D,F,E as my movement keys. it has a more natural feel for me and gives a few more keys you can reach without having to move your hand. But this all being said, after a night of using the mouseover macros with the keybinds i'm starting to get a little used to it and i do see a big difference in reaction time. Getting used to this on my already 90 paladin might take a little time but i have a feeling i'm gonna like it a lot better!

Is your paladin also a healer?

One of the easiest ways to get used to healing on a different character is to bind similar spells/macro's to similar clicks.

I have a monk, this one, and a disc priest, so what I do is this:

Left click: riptide, renewing mists, PW:S
right click: healing wave, soothing mist, penance
etc

It helps me not get completely confused between my healers. Also for this one and my disc priest, I have my disc priests smite macro and this ones lightning bolt macro bound to the same key.

Trust me- stupid little shortcuts like this actually do help.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I use the default raid frames with a Razer Naga mouse.

I'm not saying that you have to spend a lot of money on a gaming mouse, there are plenty of other options, but as someone who doesn't really like using healing addons or keybinds, the mouse works really well. I've never gotten the hang of keybinding spells and using them on my keyboard, I feel like I don't have enough hands to do that (I have one hand on my mouse and one on WASD, I can't do that and also reliably reach all my keybinds). Having them on my mouse really helps. It's a little expensive, but if you're willing to spend the money, it's pretty good.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

It really does get easier. During Cata I changed my Pally's OS from Ret to Holy, never having done Holy before though I did have healers. It was harder because you're suddenly inundated with all these spells that you're not used to. I am a very good tank and it was a bit frustrating to me to have this learning curve with a class I've played for years. Fortunately I have tanking friends who were more then happy to tank heroics for me so I could practice.

My first healer was my Priest and I remember switching from manually healing to VuhDo in her 50's. It was hard at first, took a lot of getting used to. I used to stand in cities and just cycle through all my spells with her over and over again until I knew them. This Shammy started with VuhDo which made my life much easier.

One of the easiest ways to get used to healing on a different character is to bind similar spells/macro's to similar clicks.

And this is so true. Even when I'm regularly playing my healers sometimes I still have a brain glitch when switching between them. It makes life so much easier to have certain heal types, especially emergency ones like Flash of Light/Healing Surge, uniform between all my healers. I'll still every once in a while attempt to Chain Heal on my Priest or Penance on my Shammy lol but it's pretty rare.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
And this is so true. Even when I'm regularly playing my healers sometimes I still have a brain glitch when switching between them. It makes life so much easier to have certain heal types, especially emergency ones like Flash of Light/Healing Surge, uniform between all my healers. I'll still every once in a while attempt to Chain Heal on my Priest or Penance on my Shammy lol but it's pretty rare.

You do not want to know how many times I used to get my goblin priest and this shaman mixed up before I started doing this (race changing the priest to a Panda also helped).

Though the funniest mix up is when I got my BE pally confused with my BE hunter. I had some wolf following me in Storm Peaks when I was on my pally one day- I got confused for about a minute when the thing started attacking me.
Edited by Jujubiju on 6/27/2013 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
06/27/2013 03:44 PMPosted by Jujubiju

You do not want to know how many times I used to get my goblin priest and this shaman mixed up before I started doing this (race changing the priest to a Panda also helped).

Though the funniest mix up is when I got my BE pally confused with my BE hunter. I had some wolf following me in Storm Peaks when I was on my pally one day- I got confused for about a minute when the thing started attacking me.

Haha, I have my movement boosts bound to 5 on classes that have them (Roll for Monk, Blink for Mage, etc.), and I'll try to press 5 while on my Priest and wonder why I'm not moving farther. Though unfortunately, my other healers all have dispel bound to 5, so when I heal on my Monk, I try to dispel and I go rolling instead (dispel is 6 on him).

But yeah, I usually have similar spots for all classes. 4 is usually AoE, 5 is dispel, 6 is interrupt, etc.
Reply Quote
51 Orc Shaman
06/27/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Jujubiju

Is your paladin also a healer?

etc

It helps me not get completely confused between my healers. Also for this one and my disc priest, I have my disc priests smite macro and this ones lightning bolt macro bound to the same key.

I pvp heal with my paladin, so the set up is a little different. I have lately been just doing heroics to get some pve gear and i'm more leaning to the pve side right now. But you are totally right about trying to pair them up. That's what i'm doing at the moment actually.
Reply Quote
51 Orc Shaman
My first healer was my Priest and I remember switching from manually healing to VuhDo in her 50's. It was hard at first, took a lot of getting used to. I used to stand in cities and just cycle through all my spells with her over and over again until I knew them. This Shammy started with VuhDo which made my life much easier.

I'm still using VuhDo....just not for clicks(but they are there for now, if i panic! haha). I like the buff watch feature it has.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm still using VuhDo....just not for clicks(but they are there for now, if i panic! haha). I like the buff watch feature it has.

You can set up the VuhDo "raid frames" to be used for mouse over macros instead of mouse bind clicks.

Its a simple setting change.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

etc

This can go either way.

I tried to take up healing on my druid toward the end of Cataclysm, and I did the same thing. Riptide/Rejuv, Chain Heal/Wild Growth, Earth Shield/Lifebloom, etc.

It helped me hit the right things at the right time for the most part, but it also meant that it was easy to settle into my shaman rhythm, which isn't necessarily appropriate for another class. I'd be hitting Rejuvenation only every 6 seconds, and then be confused why my Nourish or Healing Touch took so long to cast. Lifebloom would fall off at bad times because I was treating it like Earth Shield and not watching the duration.

It's still probably the best approach (and I do try to keep similar abilities on similar binds across all my characters), but beware of falling into one class's habits.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]