So I've been a healer for a day...

90 Pandaren Monk
Never again in dungeons. Never again.

No wonder I've been waiting for healers in dungeon queues on my tank.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Monk
It is pretty boring huh?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's plenty exciting down here at ilvl 430. So exciting that you notice how rude and terrible people really are.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Warlock
If your issue is with the other tanks, I would recommend giving Glyph of Roll (to fade threat) a try
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
In heroic dungeons?
As 430 ilvl?

If so, that's your problem. Need way better ilvl to go fast enough to not get !@#$%ed at.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Yeah, people tend to be arsehats in dungeons :P Which is why if I do subject myself to them, I bring friends :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Once you get bit more gear you can dps your way through most dungeons without a worry. Raiding is a different matter. I regularly out dps tanks and dps all while keeping everyone alive
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Welcome to the world of healing?

I mean... healers always experience the brunt of the rudeness from tanks and dps. It's just the way the world works.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
That awkward feeling when, after a wipe, no one mentions a thing and your paranoia kicks in. Are they inwardly blaming me?
Reply Quote
89 Goblin Priest
That awkward feeling when, after a wipe, no one mentions a thing and your paranoia kicks in. Are they inwardly blaming me?

lol.....^this
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Priest
In heroic dungeons?
As 430 ilvl?

If so, that's your problem. Need way better ilvl to go fast enough to not get !@#$%ed at.

Eh, I healed dungeons just fine on my Monk at 430 ilvl.

Depends on the group of course, if the tank is crappy and the dps is really low, then I'm gonna burn through my mana fast.

Yasna, I would recommend glyphing into Mana Tea, makes mana management a lot easier since it only costs a GCD instead of channeling time. Anyway, don't let a bad group stop you from healing forever, try it out again. You might genuinely not like it, but at least try another time before you decide it. It also helps if you explain that you're somewhat new at healing, the tank's less likely to pull half the instance at once.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Anyway, don't let a bad group stop you from healing forever, try it out again. You might genuinely not like it, but at least try another time before you decide it. It also helps if you explain that you're somewhat new at healing, the tank's less likely to pull half the instance at once.

It's really sad how many jerks there are out there. It can be hard to seemedly "invite" criticism and scorn upon yourself by admitting to be a new healer at the start of the run, but I wholeheartedly agree with Flintte about this, while you're sort-of finding your stride. You'll get some of the puggers on your side, if there are any non-jerks in the run, which can help immensely if there are pulls which cause difficulty. Meanwhile, it won't make the jerks any worse than they'll be anyway.

I'll also add my voice to Flintte's in encouraging you to give it more of a try; it's incredibly alien to try out a healing role for the first time and you're not likely to get a sense of how you really feel about it until you're able to heal without panicking as much/feeling more confident that you know what to do in clutch situations.

Good luck, have fun, and never hesitate to come back to the forums for more help!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Welcome to the world of healing?

I mean... healers always experience the brunt of the rudeness from tanks and dps. It's just the way the world works.

^This.

The perception is that healers cannot do anything to add to the success of an instance, they can only detract from it, by failing to keep up the "real" players responsible for success. It's been that way since Day 1, and I can only presume that this notion came over from Everquest and other MMOs that pre-dated WoW.

If you're going to be a healer, you need the patience of Job, a thick skin, and no real need to be acknowledged, because it's rare when it happens (and usually incorrectly gets attributed to the tank having "mad skillz").

My advice is to find a tank or two to partner with and run your instances that way. In my humble experience, at least 3/4 of the aggravation a healer faces is wrapped up in how the tank rolls. If your tank chain pulls, goes LOS, doesn't care about your mana, and has little idea where his mitigation buttons are or what his mob limit is....you're gonna have a bad time and invariably get blamed for it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

^ Definitely this.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest

*hugs*

I'm sorry!

*hugs*

Randoms are crap. :(

But there are good people in there, too. When you get a good tank, it's so nice. When you get a DPS that notices you need help, that's nice, too.

Don't give up. :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
The perception is that healers cannot do anything to add to the success of an instance, they can only detract from it, by failing to keep up the "real" players responsible for success. It's been that way since Day 1, and I can only presume that this notion came over from Everquest and other MMOs that pre-dated WoW.

I never experienced much of this sort of attitude until lfd was added. i'm sure at least some of that was due to spending most of my time playing with guildies and friends but I also joined pugs fairly often. There was a lot more "what went wrong?" followed by pretty honest discussion and a lot less "wtfheals". Of course the blacklisting and forum warnings about player x being a jerk/fail/ninja probably had something to do with it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest

I beg you to continue. Healing is an extremely rewarding experience. It will take perseverance but you are at one of the most challenging times in your healing career. As others had said, a few more ilvls will make a big difference.

Now is your opportunity to grow a thick skin and continue forward. I promise if you can make it to 460 you will not regret it.

Keep on trucking.
Edited by Obtuse on 6/29/2013 2:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin

I never experienced much of this sort of attitude until lfd was added. i'm sure at least some of that was due to spending most of my time playing with guildies and friends but I also joined pugs fairly often. There was a lot more "what went wrong?" followed by pretty honest discussion and a lot less "wtfheals". Of course the blacklisting and forum warnings about player x being a jerk/fail/ninja probably had something to do with it.

Fair point. I was a loner the first year or so, so I had a steady diet of PUGs, followed by not being able to get guild tanks to instance for me because I was far down on the "depth chart". Took me a good long while to build a favorable rep.

LFD is definitely a recurrence of the old days, that's for sure.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
My advice is to find a tank or two to partner with and run your instances that way. In my humble experience, at least 3/4 of the aggravation a healer faces is wrapped up in how the tank rolls. If your tank chain pulls, goes LOS, doesn't care about your mana, and has little idea where his mitigation buttons are or what his mob limit is....you're gonna have a bad time and invariably get blamed for it.

Haha...truer words have never been spoken. All of my bad healing experiences so far have been because the tank pulled too much, doesn't care about whether or not I'm in range, goes out of LoS and expects me to magically heal through a wall, or was a jerk to a dps who made an honest mistake.

But there are good tanks too. So...good advice :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Keep trying and ignore the bad tanks/dps/groups. For all the bad groups out there it only takes one good group to completely restore your faith in why you do this. It will get easier with better gear and just more practice. Healing is second nature to me now, almost automatic. Don't give up because it's hard at the start. Anything worth achieving is hard at the start because it's forcing you to learn. Just keep practicing. You'll get better. Read the stickies on your class forum to learn what you need to be aware of, to be thinking about, what abilities to use where etc. Knowledge is power. As a healer I feel like I have MUCH more control over the success of the group whether in PVE or PVP. I like that feeling.

Of course heroics are so easy at my ilvl that it can sometimes be boring. At this point it's fun when the group is bad, just means more healing for me to do. Tank pulls the whole room, no problem. Keep going, don't worry about my mana. DPS standing in fire, I got you. Whole group can just ignore this boss mechanic. I got spirit shell. Yes. The healing path can be a frustrating one (there are days when it sucks) but it gets better and it gets easier and those days when it all comes together beautifully you will feel like a God.
Edited by Gymnopedie on 6/29/2013 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]