Healing assignments

90 Draenei Priest
Just wondering what some others feel out there. Should we get back to assignments? Would that produce a more "needed" feel for certain classes? (Don't get me wrong, I think they are all needed anyhow, but some don't feel they are.) Rather than the somewhat homogenized everyone heal everyone, coordinate some cds some of the time. Take the lol meters out of focus a bit more again.

I try to do this in our raids, personally, for a few reasons. It lets me determine the weakest links, for one thing. It allows all the healers to shine (if I do my job right and put them where they should be). It avoids the mana issues (seems to anyhow, but our healers outgear the content we run, we're a lol noob guild atm). "Snipe" healing is minimized (except me in my jerk atonement spec, of course). It feels more relaxed for us over all, lowering the triage feel. If (when) someone dies, we can quickly determine who was healing them, and see if it was a out of range of healer issue, an overwhelmed healer issue, or a derp standing in bad stuff issue. We have fewer instances of "well I was going to heal player A, but healed plyer B instead, and so did the other healer, so player A died".

I dunno, I guess I just miss the sub organization healers used to have. We were closer, then I think. Had our own /healersrule channels (ok, assignment/ dps are idiots channel, but sshhh), etc. :-(
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Coming from a 10man pov, I try to avoid healing assignments as much as possible. Healing is designed such that every class has a couple potent tools for tank, raid, and triage healing, so why not use them? Assigning someone specifically to tank healing, for example, just doesn't make sense in our run most of the time. Raid cd's are another matter though....definitely coordinate those.
Edited by Mythrose on 7/2/2013 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Instead of constanty editing my original post, ill just add some thoughts here. Having no assignments does not equal having no priorities! It is vital that your healing partners understand each other's class and how they will react to emergency situations.

For example, person A takes spike damage and is sitting at 10% health. Unless I am sure no other raid damage is going out, I will pop a shield on them. This gives our hpally time to more casually heal them up with odd holy shocks, EF ticks, etc. In general I try to buffer raid health and he brings people back up. I find this system works much better then "healer A heals group 1, healer B group 2"
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I agree with Mythrose. I generally prefer not to have healing assignments, except for CD coordination (and sometimes coordinating dispels). I think having good synergy with your cohealer(s) is really important, and when I have that I don't feel that I need an assignment.
Reply Quote
Healing assignments are only needed if there wasn't any it would be chaos. Like yor'sahj purple slime phase in dragon soul.

Aside from that there's dispel assignments that my guild gives (that are loosely followed).
To determine weak links in your healing team, it in effect is whoever that can't "snipe" as well. Sniping is what healers need to practice (all except disc priests). A good healer will be able to snipe healers AND not run out of mana.

As for disc priests - You determine how much they have to heal, it is your choice. Therefore, if at any time people die, it is also your fault unless if they died to something they shouldn't have been hit with.

two non-disc priests heal as if they are the only ones healing the raid with a slight priority like holy paladins on tanks then raid for example.
Would that produce a more "needed" feel for certain classes?

Some classes aren't needed to heal at all. If players can't feel needed unless if they have healing assignments, it's time to bring more dps instead of another healer.
Edited by Venomheart on 7/2/2013 11:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10man, 3-heal team here.

Coordinating cooldowns =/= healing assignments, imo. We always plan out specific moments we want each healer's cooldowns to be used (though there may be plenty of time for them to use the cooldown before and/or after the assigned use for a specific mechanic in the fight), but beyond that we rarely have any type of healing assignment.

Our Disc priest's Atonement naturally takes care of a lot of the tank damage, and some of the melee pile damage; my HR is almost always down on that group too.

I always have a Riptide rolling on the active tank(s), and that means the tank will likely be who gets targeted for my Chain Heal, though there's no requirement for me to specifically look after the tank and if one or more melee dps'ers is taking constant damage, I may decide to Riptide them instead and bounce Chain Heal off that dps'er instead of the tank (because sometimes the tank is a *hair* beyond Chain Heal jump range from the melee pile, and there's no sense targeting the tank for CH in that case).

Beyond that, it's "heal whoever needs healing".

edit:

oh, with the 8sec cooldown on healer dispels, we *definitely* do healing assignments for dispel fights (Stone Guard, Elegon, Tsulong, Protectors, Horridon).
Edited by Ellarix on 7/2/2013 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
To determine weak links in your healing team, it in effect is whoever that can't "snipe" as well. Sniping is what healers need to practice (all except disc priests). A good healer will be able to snipe healers AND not run out of mana.

I have to be honest here, this is really not good advice to give to anyone, much less someone who is struggling to find synergy with their healing team. Why on earth would you PRACTICE sniping, or encourage it as good play? Sniping is something you do on farm when it doesn't matter. It is not the definition of proper play.

As for disc priests - You determine how much they have to heal, it is your choice. Therefore, if at any time people die, it is also your fault unless if they died to something they shouldn't have been hit with.

Again, i'm not sure where you are coming from with this statement. If someone dies due to lack of healing it falls on the healing team, not just on the disc priest. Disc priests only "determine how much they have to heal" when you overgear/overheal fights. When your team is tackling appropriate content disc's role is to buffer/stabilize the raid while other healers restore health. It is very easy to fall behind as disc if your team is not functioning properly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
No need for healing assignments outside of gimmick fights. Even CD's/dispels can be called out by a competent RL/healing lead.

As per it being a good way to judge anyone by assigning healing i disagree. RNG of fights dictate who gets damaged. If your assignment doesn't get damaged you are not going to really be doing much besides watching the paint dry.

just my 2 copper
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Sometimes a tank might need a dedicated healer.

However I think assignments are too often interpreted in the wrong way. Paying special attention to your target is not the same as relinquishing you responsibility to keep up another target, even if another healer is "assigned" to that target.

All healers are responsible for keeping everyone up at all times.

With the CD on dispels, that is something that could realistically require assignments, but that's not the same as heals.
Reply Quote
I have to be honest here, this is really not good advice to give to anyone, much less someone who is struggling to find synergy with their healing team. Why on earth would you PRACTICE sniping, or encourage it as good play? Sniping is something you do on farm when it doesn't matter. It is not the definition of proper play.

Practice sniping because if you don't you will realize that more often than not, you can simply go afk and people wouldn't die (of course several minutes later , healers are OOM then you die).

Again, i'm not sure where you are coming from with this statement. If someone dies due to lack of healing it falls on the healing team, not just on the disc priest. Disc priests only "determine how much they have to heal" when you overgear/overheal fights. When your team is tackling appropriate content disc's role is to buffer/stabilize the raid while other healers restore health. It is very easy to fall behind as disc if your team is not functioning properly.

It's always a choice for the disc priest to or not to continue spamming atonement instead of using actual heals.

Frequently, I'd say my guild is in the situation where : 2 healers are too little, 3 healers are too much.
Edited by Venomheart on 7/2/2013 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I like healing assignments.

But that's more coming from my raiding background. Until MoP, I raid tanked. And tanking requires assignments. Maloriak would have been a heck of a messy fight if me and my co-tank randomly swapped aggro on Maloriak and the Abberations.

So coming out of that background, I like being told "hey, you concentrate on X tank" or "please stick with the ranged group". Mind you, it's not assignments so much as focus suggestions.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
07/02/2013 01:24 PMPosted by Venomheart
Practice sniping because if you don't you will realize that more often than not, you can simply go afk and people wouldn't die (of course several minutes later , healers are OOM then you die).

Sounds like you're healing team needs a challenge! I suggest progressing further into heroics :) Also, you might want to have a talk with your cohealers, instead of encouraging everyone else to do the same.

It's always a choice for the disc priest to or not to continue spamming atonement instead of using actual heals.

Frequently, I'd say my guild is in the situation where : 2 healers are too little, 3 healers are too much.

So let me see if I understand you. Disc priest determines how much damage is left over for the other healers, and if someone dies, by how much he spams atonement? I'm not sure what to say to that statement. Also, if 3healers are too much, but 2 healers are too little, I think you might want to step up your game a bit, and stop spamming atonement. Maby then 2 healers would be just right!

Edit: I am not trying to derail the thread here, It just frustrates me to no end seeing people who should know better, give terrible advice.
Edited by Mythrose on 7/2/2013 2:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So let me see if I understand you. Disc priest determines how much damage is left over for the other healers, and if someone dies, by how much he spams atonement? I'm not sure what to say to that statement. Also, if 3healers are too much, but 2 healers are too little, I think you might want to step up your game a bit, and stop spamming atonement. Maby then 2 healers would be just right!

Edit: I am not trying to derail the thread here, It just frustrates me to no end seeing people who should know better, give terrible advice.

Priests get to choose when damage is taken basically . PW:S too strong but it's expensive enough such that it can't be the only button used.

Other healers can't do things to significantly vary the damage pattern. Priests can do a lot but often choose not to (either to conserve mana or because other healers can cover it if damage was taken).

PW:S blanketing can be used as a raid cooldown of sorts, none of the other healers have anything close to that.

I know that if I try to heal everything I'll run OOM, thus I have to control when I choose to heal. Other healers simply have to heal when damage happens. (or in case of druids / monks have hots on players before damage happens). They can't mitigate the damage before it happens.

Paladins are unique in a sense that they can pre-shield people too but it's not overpowered to the extent guaranteed divine aegis of the past.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
There are 3 heal fights where my raid will 'concentrate' on a particular healer or group. Doesn't ever mean we're limited to healing only that area though. And trust me, strict healing assignments are limiting and often a hindrance in most situations.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I don't mean "heal your assignment and no one else". I mean, if Player A and Player B both need a heal, Healer 1 heal player A, Healer 2 heal Player B.

I dunno, I guess it just felt more serious back when things like that WERE needed, were the norm. The fights felt more thought out? Of course, we didn't have haste back then, nor near as many instant heals, but yea. :-(

Anyhow, of course no one runs specifics anymore. I was just wondering what people thought about the play style, really. Seems most do not like the idea. Ah well.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I think you will find the majority of raids do not assign people to specific healers. There are exceptions though, and i've seen strict healing assignments work well, even this expansion. It really is up to the leadership if they want assignments or not. I do think though, if you just took a pole of 10man healers you will find more people dislike it then not.
Edited by Mythrose on 7/3/2013 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
In my 10-man, we're currently progressing normal ToT with 2 heals and an OS.

I'd say about 95% of the time we don't use healing assignments. The only real time we worry about it is if positioning and movement cause lots of people to be out of range at strange times (like running around during Tortos), so we maybe assign one person that will be the sole responsibility one of the healers and I voluntarily chose that.

Other than that, the only other kind of "assignments" we use now are just for dispels to save a touch of mana and a GCD.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/02/2013 06:08 PMPosted by Rauri
I don't mean "heal your assignment and no one else". I mean, if Player A and Player B both need a heal, Healer 1 heal player A, Healer 2 heal Player B.

That would be a healing priority. And yes, it's often a good idea to split up which healer is prioritizing what to some extent. It comes into play often when one healer is assigned to prioritize a specific tank, debuff, dispel or player assigned an important task involving a specific mechanic. It's far less relevant for general raid-wide damage given the abundance of smart AoE heals, single-target smart heals, HoT's and various other miscellaneous healing abilities in the game now.

It's also called chemistry. Once you heal or even raid with specific players for enough time you begin to pick up on their tendencies, whether you consciously recognize it or not. You can start to predict or "know" when a heal is going to hit a certain player, and when it's a good idea to direct yours elsewhere. It's a similar concept to predicting incoming damage, in some cases even when it's random damage or has no timer.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]