Need help with healing assignments.

90 Tauren Shaman
I finally finished putting together a team form scratch and will be leading my first raid next Tuesday. What I need your guys help with is what the different healers should be assigned to heal since I am new both to the healer class (this will be the first raid I do as a healer) and raid leading. Our two main healers are Me and a Monk. If you could help me figure out the strengths of both of us so I can assigning them to the optimal positions that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance for all the help
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Really could use some help with this
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The thing is, there aren't really any assignments these days, especially when two healing. As a shaman, your strengths are stacked healing on groups of people, big heals when a tank is going down, and your CDs. As you can see, that covers, well, pretty much everything. Rather than worrying about strict assignments, especially your first time through (I assume this is Mogushan Vaults), just try to keep the bars green, and you will find that healing tends to sort itself out, as most healers will play to their strengths naturally, provided you are comfortable with your class.

It's the DPS that generally need wrangling in a raid. "Stop hitting that, and start hitting those!"

Edit: One exception would be with dispels. You need to know who can dispel what, and make sure those are all covered. I think in MSV, the only real dispel fight is Elegon, and that will definitely be more of a DPS challenge than a healing one.
Edited by Pipikaula on 6/27/2013 11:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The thing is, there aren't really any assignments these days, especially when two healing. As a shaman, your strengths are stacked healing on groups of people, big heals when a tank is going down, and your CDs. As you can see, that covers, well, pretty much everything. Rather than worrying about strict assignments, especially your first time through (I assume this is Mogushan Vaults), just try to keep the bars green, and you will find that healing tends to sort itself out, as most healers will play to their strengths naturally, provided you are comfortable with your class.

It's the DPS that generally need wrangling in a raid. "Stop hitting that, and start hitting those!"

Edit: One exception would be with dispels. You need to know who can dispel what, and make sure those are all covered. I think in MSV, the only real dispel fight is Elegon, and that will definitely be more of a DPS challenge than a healing one.

Pretty much this. All healers got to do their part. Monk/shaman comp is a little unusual but it doesn't really matter. I would imagine you'll be doing a little bit more tank healing than your monk partner.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Pipi's got an important point on the dispel issue. It's not an issue on every fight, but on fights where it *is* an issue, it's often a BIG ISSUE.

- Elegon in MSV, as Pipi mentioned
- Protectors in TES (offensive dispelling as well as defensive dispelling)
- Tsulong in TES
- Horridon in ToT

All four of those fights are crucial to have dispel assignments worked out. If you can't be coordinated about dispels on fights like those, people will die, or the raid can even wipe; those dispels are *not* intended to be healed through. With an 8sec cooldown on healer dispels, timely dispelling is key.

I'll point out that as a shaman, you have an extra dispel in MSV; take Windwalk Totem as your lvl 30 talent for the pre-Will of the Emperor trash (you also have to clear one group of them just before you go into Elegon's room). It clears the debuff that trash puts on the raid - and I mean *clears* it; removes it from any player afflicted, with the drop of the totem. You can't use it frequently enough to be a one-person debuff-dispelling wonder, but it can be a huge help on those specific pulls.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
You have just took up the most challenging role (imo)
Raid Leading A-N-D- Healing

I have raid led as a healer for 2 years, my heals still to this day occasionally suffer because of it. However, I can manage my raiders off-healing cooldowns much better because I know how the healing situation is..This is good though. BUT
BUT
But please remember this, if you continue down this path, you will be highly stressed. Healing isnt always a fun job as it is. This is probably the most least-desired role you can have in this game. (Raid Lead AND heal)
No, its not as terrible as I make it out, but trust me, its not gonna be fun for you.

in my honest opinion, try to remember it the way I list it, because, who heals what is really just about the player.

Most popular/or/likely Tank Healers:
Pally
Monk
Shaman

Raid healers:
Any class
Edited by Skidward on 7/2/2013 12:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
1. What raids will you be doing?
2. What tanks are you going to have?
3. What DPS are you bringing?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Without going into specific bosses, the easiest way is just one of you pick who will always be "the first."

It should probably be you since HTT is really good.

Just tell the Monk not to Revival until he sees HTT has gone out, and alternate after that.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Monk and shaman is a little bit of an oddball comp if you're two healing but you may want to recruit a paladin or priest with a healing offspec in the newer content. Shamans and monks work really well with shield healers, they can provide the absorbs while you quickly get people topped back up.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]