Why require legendary Cloak for World Boss

90 Tauren Paladin
07/01/2013 12:00 PMPosted by Jartrielas
it would take a 'couple' months if you JUST started on the questline, and having the worst possible RNG. Just pointing that out there.

Hmm?
Titan Runestones alone can take 3 months to complete if you have the "worst possible RNG" (which isn't that far off since odds are very good you can only really count on Lei Shen's guaranteed drop).

Toss in all the other stupid raid mob drops and you can easily hit the 4+ month range. Heck the 3000 VP alone will guarantee you'll burn up 3 weeks.

first part now takes 2-3 weeks
2nd part takes 3 weeks
part 3 can start the same week if you cap before doing LFR. secrets take 4-8 weeks usually.
part 4 takes 12 weeks if your unlucky as hell. Most take 4-6 weeks.
Reply Quote
2nd part takes 3 weeks
part 3 can start the same week if you cap before doing LFR. secrets take 4-8 weeks usually.

4-8 weeks? for secrets?

You must be joking or have good rng, I have been working on the quest line since it was released and I'm just at 19 secrets. Saw plenty of weeks with 1-0 secrets dropping of lfr and first half of normal mode
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
2nd part takes 3 weeks

4-8 weeks? for secrets?

You must be joking or have good rng, I have been working on the quest line since it was released and I'm just at 19 secrets. Saw plenty of weeks with 1-0 secrets dropping of lfr and first half of normal mode

Sounds like you're getting hit with terrible RNG. Most people were done with, or close to done with, Secrets when 5.3 hit.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Depending on how long it takes to get the legendary cloak part, who would even be interested in the boss? I mean if it takes say a month, a large amount of raiders will have next to nothing to get from him. Then you're just looking at LFR and Flex players who can use stuff from him. Whose gonna fight him for actual gear?
Reply Quote
Depending on how long it takes to get the legendary cloak part, who would even be interested in the boss? I mean if it takes say a month, a large amount of raiders will have next to nothing to get from him. Then you're just looking at LFR and Flex players who can use stuff from him. Whose gonna fight him for actual gear?

Indeed. This is a boss in search of an audience, near as I can tell. Unless the loot table has some real goodies in it worth getting regardless of the ilevel.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
07/01/2013 12:47 PMPosted by Monopaly

Hmm?
Titan Runestones alone can take 3 months to complete if you have the "worst possible RNG" (which isn't that far off since odds are very good you can only really count on Lei Shen's guaranteed drop).

Toss in all the other stupid raid mob drops and you can easily hit the 4+ month range. Heck the 3000 VP alone will guarantee you'll burn up 3 weeks.

2nd part takes 3 weeks

Not sure what you're trying to prove here other than your initial estimate of "2 months" is wildly off, but even with your own numbers, we're looking at 20 weeks and it's WAY more than that when you have "worst possible RNG".
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

2nd part takes 3 weeks

First part can be done in a week, and runestones / secrets can be even less if people are killing raden on alt carries.

Edit: To the guy above, 2months estimate, where exactly are you finding this?
All i found was
If I can be 3/4 of the way through part 3 in 8 weeks

Thats not exactly saying a estimate. Unless your making a alt right before 5.4 for whatever reason, at that point it wont exactly matter if you get the cloak or not. Cause you'd be more or less screwing around meaning one boss dropping SoO Normal ilvl gear wont matter for that toon.
If you were going to be playing a diff toon next patch (Which is all that matters) you'd be pretty close to being done the cloak by that point, if not done already
Edited by Treehugging on 7/1/2013 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
anyways this is 1 boss that will drop basically garbage loot that will prob be killed once for a achievement then never killed again.

Which means that having him gated behind a wall of RNG based drops wasn't a well thought out decision on Blizzard's part.

First part can be done in a week, and runestones / secrets can be even less if people are killing raden on alt carries.

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a mockery of the Cowadin's claim that the legendary quest is "super fast, 8 weeks tops", or if you genuinely believe it's possible for the average player to complete the 10 power/10 wisdom sigils in a week, and Secrets in less time than that. Even if someone was desperate enough to bribe one of the 120 guilds with a Ra-Den kill into carrying them, as you suggested, it's ludicrous to think that such a strategy is valid for the few million players who run in the NA region.
Edited by Bomdanil on 7/2/2013 3:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I'm not sure if you're trying to make a mockery of the Cowadin's claim that the legendary quest is "super fast, 8 weeks tops", or if you genuinely believe it's possible for the average player to complete the 10 power/10 wisdom sigils in a week, and Secrets in less time than that. Even if someone was desperate enough to bribe one of the 120 guilds with a Ra-Den kill into carrying them, as you suggested, it's ludicrous to think that such a strategy is valid for the few million players who run in the NA region.

The average player probably wont be touching their alt other than LFR's. The people that finish the sigils in a week OR close to it are the ones not being lazy / trying to finish.
If they aren't, there isnt exactly excuses to about how long the quests take.
Still dont see why it matters or not if someones brand new alt can see a boss or not. Since it really wont effect them
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I agree that this is a bad idea. Gating the boss behind a questline taking months to complete is highly alt-unfriendly.

I like logging on my alts every week, popping into oQueue, and doing world bosses. Blizzard got that right. And now they're breaking it.

It seems to me this is another attempt to make a hard world boss, because less people will have the cloaks, but it won't actually do that-- cross-realm groups with oQueue or Openraid.us will still build multiple 40 man raids to get the kill, if necessary. It'll just take longer and frustrate players.
Edited by Slant on 7/2/2013 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

2nd part takes 3 weeks

Edit: To the guy above, 2months estimate, where exactly are you finding this?
All i found was
If I can be 3/4 of the way through part 3 in 8 weeks

Thats not exactly saying a estimate. Unless your making a alt right before 5.4 for whatever reason, at that point it wont exactly matter if you get the cloak or not. Cause you'd be more or less screwing around meaning one boss dropping SoO Normal ilvl gear wont matter for that toon.
If you were going to be playing a diff toon next patch (Which is all that matters) you'd be pretty close to being done the cloak by that point, if not done already

yep wasn't a estimate just was saying if your farming ra-den like me (guarenteed 2 a week). Its like 12-14 weeks to go from part 1 to cloak.
if your farming LFR maybe 16-20 weeks. But people have had over a year so without horrible RNG which 99% of the player base will not get. you will have your cloak if you didn't unsub or quit wow for a bit. And if you did your not allowed to whine cause you don't deserve your cloak anyways
Edited by Monopaly on 7/2/2013 10:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Just as an update to this:

We're planning to change the restriction for access to Ordos to be account-wide. Basically, as long as at least one of your characters has a legendary cloak, all of them should be able to access the encounter.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Yeah. Cash prizes.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Lame, I remember when atunement was worth something. I love this game, but its so turning into "everyone gets a trophy"
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Lame, I remember when atunement was worth something. I love this game, but its so turning into "everyone gets a trophy"

Atunements were one of the worst aspects of TBC raiding.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Just as an update to this:

We're planning to change the restriction for access to Ordos to be account-wide. Basically, as long as at least one of your characters has a legendary cloak, all of them should be able to access the encounter.

It's still a silly requirement that punishes those with bad RNG or are behind for whatever reason. However, I suppose this helps with the issue of filling groups.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue

I think attunements are good when there's little content to do. But, in this day and age when normal progression requires 2+ tiers of content with multiple world bosses, having severe attunement walls is not a good thing.
Reply Quote
I personally think Legendary-required bosses are a cool idea.
Reply Quote
10 Troll Warlock
The answer to your question is almost certainly that the boss is locked to push people who otherwise wouldn't care to do the quest by offering a further cookie: world boss access.

It's still a silly requirement that punishes those with bad RNG or are behind for whatever reason. However, I suppose this helps with the issue of filling groups.
It also punishes people who switch mains either because of guild needs or because they had to start over due to dead servers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
just got my first rune stone last night, hope the rng gods are good too me before patch comes out, i agree with you advice, ended up switching mains due too guild needing it, hurt me too by doing it this toon is so far behind its crazy.
Edited by Æmilius on 7/18/2013 4:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]