Sad State of R. Shaman: Mechanics Oriented P2

90 Tauren Shaman
Something to consider because it's probably a safe bet that Shaman aren't getting any sweeping mechanics changes this expansion.

It's too late in the expansion for any sweeping changes; we'll have to wait until 6.0 enters beta testing.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Shaman
It's too late in the expansion for any sweeping changes; we'll have to wait until 6.0 enters beta testing.

I guess I didn't come right out and say it, but that's what I was implying ;)

Though to be fair, with regard to Shaman, I feel like you could have said the same in 5.1. We've been in mostly the same place since the start. Other classes got heavy adjustments, I think other than a small PvP nerf (the totems when silenced, iirc), we've only had a few number changes... maybe?
Edited by Smellybeard on 7/3/2013 8:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I have a feeling, or at least a hope is that Resto Shaman become the next "Warlock". Warlocks in the beginning of Cata were a dead class, no one wanted to play them because they were just horrible. 5.4 looks like its going to be that way with RShaman. What happened to Warlocks? They got 100% overhauled and are one of the best casters currently.

Yeah.....that's mostly just wishful thinking. I honestly believe that Blizz has no clue what so ever on what to do with Resto Shaman. At first they take away most of our totems because they didn't want us tied to putting totems down all the time......then they make almost -all- of our CD's and abilities totems. They want us to be the marque "stacking" healer.....then make almost all of the fights spread/mobile fights. I'm really starting to wonder if GC or some other lead dev had a really bad experience with shaman back in Vanilla or BC. Because the spec has been the butt of all jokes and in the dumpster since T10.

Another good way to look at it :

Resto Shaman are the Chicago Cubs of WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
07/03/2013 08:00 AMPosted by Nahuul
Something to consider because it's probably a safe bet that Shaman aren't getting any sweeping mechanics changes this expansion.

Their work on druids says they have the means. But GC's comments about his love of the niche says they don't have the will.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9344304596?page=22#439

At long last an acknowledgement of our existance with a very positive change:

-Healing Tide is becoming baseline for all specs
-HTT will also be tuned the same as Tranq/DH/Revival were for 25m, healing 12 people instead of 5 there.
-This means a new talent to replace it, on which they are unsure what to make yet.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
We do have more changes coming for Resto Shaman in 5.4, which you should be seeing on the PTR soon (though possibly not in the next build). However, since we’ve got a long weekend coming up here at the office due to the holiday, we wanted to let you know about a couple changes we’re going to try out for Healing Tide Totem.

First, it’s no longer a talent. Healing Tide Totem is now baseline, available to all three Shaman specs. As you’re all aware, it’s an extremely useful ability, which makes it difficult for us to provide alternative options in that talent tier. Giving Healing Tide to everyone not only lets us work on making that tier more interesting, but it also makes sure no one is missing out on one of Resto’s more powerful tools by selecting the “wrong” talent.

Second, now that Healing Tide is a baseline ability, we feel it’s acceptable to give it a similar treatment to Tranquility or Divine Hymn in 25-man raids. It will now heal up to 12 targets when in a 25-player raid instance (and remains at 5 targets in other content).
Reply Quote
OMFG!! FINALLY!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
And Conductivity is 3 seconds now as well.

See? They said changes were coming and you guys got some this morning with more in the future.

It also allows you guys to choose from two talents that will now compete with each other very well and depending what the third one will be.

Patience pays off and my shamans love these changes. Now a few more PTR builds and more changes will come. I'm honestly surprised they made HTT baseline but very pleased they did it.

It means there is a great chance for big changes in my opinion which are needed and this time it won't be some band aid throughput buffs.
Edited by Marathel on 7/3/2013 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
We do have more changes coming for Resto Shaman in 5.4, which you should be seeing on the PTR soon (though possibly not in the next build). However, since we’ve got a long weekend coming up here at the office due to the holiday, we wanted to let you know about a couple changes we’re going to try out for Healing Tide Totem.

First, it’s no longer a talent. Healing Tide Totem is now baseline, available to all three Shaman specs. As you’re all aware, it’s an extremely useful ability, which makes it difficult for us to provide alternative options in that talent tier. Giving Healing Tide to everyone not only lets us work on making that tier more interesting, but it also makes sure no one is missing out on one of Resto’s more powerful tools by selecting the “wrong” talent.

Second, now that Healing Tide is a baseline ability, we feel it’s acceptable to give it a similar treatment to Tranquility or Divine Hymn in 25-man raids. It will now heal up to 12 targets when in a 25-player raid instance (and remains at 5 targets in other content).

Yes! At least we know they're not done with us.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
You did it guys! I think they might be spreading Tranqs out too liberally though. But that's a whole other discussion for healers as a whole. I look forward to the new talent.

With the new Conductivity buff will I be able to keep Healing Rain down the entire time, mana permitting? Or is there a cap to the length of time HR is active?
Edited by Elíka on 7/3/2013 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
You did it guys! I think they might be spreading Tranqs out too liberally though. But that's a whole other discussion for healers as a whole. I look forward to the new talent.

With the new Conductivity buff will I be able to keep Healing Rain down the entire time, mana permitting? Or is there a cap to the length of time HR is active?

Yes - you should be able to keep it down 100% of the time, as long as you are casting a CH/HW/GHW/HS at least once every 3 seconds on average. In practice, it still might get a little tight when CH spamming, because even at 30%/7613 haste, it's a 1.9 second cast time, which could cut the duration tight when you cast Riptide/HST/other instants. In theory, on stacked fights, the talent will allow you to use ULE-HR once and only recast it if the raid moves.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

Yes - you should be able to keep it down 100% of the time, as long as you are casting a CH/HW/GHW/HS at least once every 3 seconds on average. In practice, it still might get a little tight when CH spamming, because even at 30%/7613 haste, it's a 1.9 second cast time, which could cut the duration tight when you cast Riptide/HST/other instants. In theory, on stacked fights, the talent will allow you to use ULE-HR once and only recast it if the raid moves.

Finally a choice in that tier. AG and Conductivity should go head to head and be better for some fights and worse for others. I hope that the new talent doesn't solve the serious spread issues that hamper 10 man raiders. I'd hate for that solution to be tied to a talent forced on to 10s.
Reply Quote

Finally a choice in that tier. AG and Conductivity should go head to head and be better for some fights and worse for others. I hope that the new talent doesn't solve the serious spread issues that hamper 10 man raiders. I'd hate for that solution to be tied to a talent forced on to 10s.

Does anyone believe that SLT could potentially replace HTT? I know some of you wanted that to happen, but I'm not too sure.

Any ideas on what the new talent could be?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman

Does anyone believe that SLT could potentially replace HTT? I know some of you wanted that to happen, but I'm not too sure.

I have no idea how good Enh and Ele are considered for PvP, but SLT is a great PvP cooldown. It still breaks CCs that break on damage doesn't it? And of course the health equalizer. Would be a massive buff for PvP shamans to get HTT and SLT.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Until Ghostcrawler tweets that Shamans are no longer going to be balanced around being the weakest healer outside of stacked fights no changes are going to impress me.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Until Ghostcrawler tweets that Shamans are no longer going to be balanced around being the weakest healer outside of stacked fights no changes are going to impress me.

Negative Nancy reporting in!
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk

Part of me wants Icy Waters that turns a portion of healing into an absorb. The other part of me realizes that won't work because it's pretty resto specific and would be very tricky to balance.

Maybe we can get something like Energetic Spark that will arc across the party healing the friendly with the least health within 40 yards bouncing similar to glyphed Renewing Mists up to 5-10 times every minute? Obviously being a level 45 talent it would heal for more than RM.

Edit: I was a resto shaman for a long time so I keep using "we."

Also it can't do damage otherwise it becomes mandatory for ele and enhance.
Edited by Kipery on 7/3/2013 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
07/03/2013 12:27 PMPosted by Kipery

Part of me wants Icy Waters that turns a portion of healing into an absorb. The other part of me realizes that won't work because it's pretty resto specific and would be very tricky to balance.

Maybe we can get something like Energetic Spark that will arc across the party healing the friendly with the least health within 40 yards bouncing similar to glyphed Renewing Mists up to 5-10 times every minute? Obviously being a level 45 talent it would heal for more than RM.

Edit: I was a resto shaman for a long time so I keep using "we."

Also it can't do damage otherwise it becomes mandatory for ele and enhance.

Water Elemental!

Also, level 75 talent. Not 45.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Very glad to see some Shaman changes that are both positive and that should matter. Also glad to see that more are on the way.

The overbearing amount of griping was somewhat justified (you all couldn't test anything when there were no meaningful new changes to test), but when all this new stuff comes around, you all better test it and then provide some constructive feedback now that they have bothered to respond. There's no time to remain bitter.

Remember, there's still no real spread healing options for the spec in an upcoming tier where spread healing is the norm and stacked healing is the exception (so far). It's looking better, but there's likely more work to be done before I can say the spec is in a good and reliable place. Definitely more than can be done between now and 5.4. Hope this momentum carries over into the next beta, I'd love to see the current Deep Healing mastery go the way of the dodo.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Monk
Water Elemental!

Also, level 75 talent. Not 45.

Water Ele is already a mage thing and I'm not sure how to really differentiate it. Maybe a cooldown based healer guardian like the other ele totems. I'm not sure how it would interact with the level 90 improved ele totem talent and that might make the synergy between the two too powerful.

And yeah, 75. Given I have two 90 resto shaman I really should have known that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]