[Shaman] Stat Weights Question

100 Tauren Shaman
Tomorrow night, I'll be healing alongside a Discipline Priest and Restoration Druid. We'll be running MSV on 10N; the raid group, overall, is slightly overgeared for it. This is our first run, so I'm not sure how much damage the group will be taking or what their average health level will be.

What kind of stat build should I come in with, or is my current build fine?
Edited by Nahuul on 7/8/2013 2:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Current build should be fine though you should pick up a touch more haste to reach 3764 even though it is still buggy.
Reply Quote
96 Pandaren Shaman
Current build should be fine though you should pick up a touch more haste to reach 3764 even though it is still buggy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

Yep, you should be 100% fine, and having the extra HST breakpoint "covered" (ish) will be even better :)

I'm not sure I'd walk in there packing Glyph of Telluric Currents *and* Glyph of Totemic Recall... if the group generally overgears it, and you're still 3-healing it, you'll have enough downtime to stand there and spam LB to your heart's content. If that's the situation, I'd ditch Totemic Recall for Glyph of Chaining.

If you're somewhat worried about mana, or about your co-healers' ability to heal through derp, then keep Totemic Recall, drop Telluric Currents, and pick up Chaining ;)
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)

I'd have to undo a single reforge... Small price to pay for an extra breakpoint, I think.

If you're somewhat worried about mana, or about your co-healers' ability to heal through derp, then keep Totemic Recall, drop Telluric Currents, and pick up Chaining ;)

I may do that; I heard Chaining is incredibly useful for 10M.
Reply Quote
I may do that; I heard Chaining is incredibly useful for 10M.

"incredibly useful" is a bit of a push over. Depending on what fight you're doing, glyphed or unglyphed can be better.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
I have always found Mastery to be a lot more useful than Crit for 10M. Seems like health bars go lower, and you are less likely to be sniped. I have always tried to get rid of as much Haste as possible. It's the worst MP5 stat and it's throughput value does not make up for it, though if I was a heroic raider, I would want more of it due to diminishing returns on other secondary stats, and you never know when one faster cast will prevent a death.

I have never heard anyone praise chain heal this expansion. It went from being garbage in 5.0 and 5.1 to situational in 5.2, but the 5.4 buff will make it a useful tool once again. And actually, it's better for 25M.

EDIT: ok we were talking about the glyph. It's situational. Totemic recall is remarkable if you use it. I have an addon dedicated to telling me when (lol addon is called TellMeWhen) to use it. Downside is that it does not play well with 3 talents I use--call of the elements, stone bulwark, and primal elementalist, so I end up recalling things before their duration is up. Telluric currents is silly and you should not use this unless you plan on attacking much (which you just may on older content like MSV)
Edited by Kuwilei on 7/10/2013 3:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
I have never heard anyone praise chain heal this expansion. It went from being garbage in 5.0 and 5.1 to situational in 5.2, but the 5.4 buff will make it a useful tool once again. And actually, it's better for 25M.

We downed the Stone Guards and Feng last night and attempted Gara'jal, and I didn't use CH once. The group stacked enough so that HR and HST got almost everybody, and a GHW or two hit the few people who didn't stand in HR for whatever reason.

07/10/2013 03:20 AMPosted by Kuwilei
I have always found Mastery to be a lot more useful than Crit for 10M. Seems like health bars go lower, and you are less likely to be sniped.

I noticed this as well. Sniping wasn't an issue last night, thankfully.

07/10/2013 03:20 AMPosted by Kuwilei
I have always tried to get rid of as much Haste as possible.

I just grab enough Haste for a breakpoint, and reforge out of the rest. I do like to keep a bit extra, because of the Haste breakpoints bug.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
Yeah dude, I tried a Haste build once. Awesome for throughput. I would outheal anybody in LFR or against world bosses, but I'm built for current content, and with my mediocre (at best) gear, I need to be more mana efficient than that. If you are trying to hit a breakpoint remember to calculate the Haste raid buff as well as AS if you take it so you don't accidentally grab more than you need
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
The run went well, then? If your raid outgeared it a bit, maybe you could have 2-healed some of it? Just curious if you or one of the other healers felt extraneous.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
This addon will tell you the relative effectiveness of Mastery, Crit and Int, based on the actual healing you do. Haste is coming, probably in the next major release.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/restoshamanstats
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
07/10/2013 09:28 PMPosted by Kuwilei
Yeah dude, I tried a Haste build once. Awesome for throughput. I would outheal anybody in LFR or against world bosses, but I'm built for current content, and with my mediocre (at best) gear, I need to be more mana efficient than that.

I've always wanted to take a Haste build, but I don't think I have the mana regen for it. It'd be fun to play, though.

The run went well, then? If your raid outgeared it a bit, maybe you could have 2-healed some of it? Just curious if you or one of the other healers felt extraneous.

I couldn't have 2-healed any of it. The DPS weren't pulling large enough numbers (our tanks were second and third on DPS meters...), so the fights dragged on too long.

I didn't require any raiding experience for any recruits (the only requirement was a modest 470+ item level), because I wanted my group to be an introduction to normal modes to those who haven't been able to do anything other than LFR. So, we had a lot of people getting used to not being able to faceroll every mechanic, and just a ton of little, simple mistakes (like standing in the fire).

This addon will tell you the relative effectiveness of Mastery, Crit and Int, based on the actual healing you do. Haste is coming, probably in the next major release.

I've always wanted something like this. Thank you! :D
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
That addon does sound interesting as the poster described it. But do keep in mind other things than throughput. Crit being the best secondary stat for regen, for example. I know a player who reforges all his spirit into crit, which serves both MP5 and throughput, then focusing more on INT with gemming.

Pretty cool that this game affords some leeway regarding different builds like this, at least for healers. Don't dps, so I wouldn't know about that, but it seems like there would be one optimal build to go for, which only varies slightly depending on the fight or raid size.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Don't dps, so I wouldn't know about that, but it seems like there would be one optimal build to go for, which only varies slightly depending on the fight or raid size.

Generally, yes. Healing builds tend to be much more flexible than tanking or DPSing builds.

That addon does sound interesting as the poster described it. But do keep in mind other things than throughput. Crit being the best secondary stat for regen, for example. I know a player who reforges all his spirit into crit, which serves both MP5 and throughput, then focusing more on INT with gemming.

Has there been a comparison done regarding Spirit and Crit's mana regen? It sounds like an interesting build.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Shaman
Per 100, Spirit is ~55MP5 and crit is ~20MP5 for single target heals, ~40MP5 for AoE. So spirit is considerably better, but there will come a point, particularly in 25M, where Crit just starts making more sense than Spirit. If you end a fight with much more than about 10% mana, you should drop some Spirit. 10k is probably about all you will need up until siege of org.

Though I always say Spirit is also a throughput tool, since additional mana will allow you to spam healing surge a little if you need to, so in an indirect way, you can simply convert any excess mana to healing done.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
07/11/2013 04:54 AMPosted by Nahuul
Yeah dude, I tried a Haste build once. Awesome for throughput. I would outheal anybody in LFR or against world bosses, but I'm built for current content, and with my mediocre (at best) gear, I need to be more mana efficient than that.

I've always wanted to take a Haste build, but I don't think I have the mana regen for it. It'd be fun to play, though.

If mana is an issue, then maybe try it later with the VP Spirit Trinket from Shado-Pan and maybe an LFR Horridon's Last Gasp. After I picked up the two of those, mana became less of a problem. Then when you get lucky with your RNG, the Legendary Meta Gem from the legendary questline will give you *so* much more free mana to use on heals, it's ridiculous(ly amazing).

I couldn't have 2-healed any of it. The DPS weren't pulling large enough numbers (our tanks were second and third on DPS meters...), so the fights dragged on too long.

I didn't require any raiding experience for any recruits (the only requirement was a modest 470+ item level), because I wanted my group to be an introduction to normal modes to those who haven't been able to do anything other than LFR. So, we had a lot of people getting used to not being able to faceroll every mechanic, and just a ton of little, simple mistakes (like standing in the fire).

If your healers can handle it, then maybe that extra DPS is what you guys might need? In my opinion, 2-healing the Gara'jal fight makes it obvious on how to juggle the spirit world for healers.

Anyway, glad to hear that you guys managed to make some progress and good luck on your next raid day!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
07/11/2013 06:58 AMPosted by Kuwilei
Per 100, Spirit is ~55MP5 and crit is ~20MP5 for single target heals, ~40MP5 for AoE.

Thank you. :)

07/11/2013 09:44 AMPosted by Unicornkitty
If mana is an issue, then maybe try it later with the VP Spirit Trinket from Shado-Pan and maybe an LFR Horridon's Last Gasp.

With my current build, mana regen isn't an issue. If I try out the Haste build, I'll try to grab those trinkets.

07/11/2013 09:44 AMPosted by Unicornkitty
If your healers can handle it, then maybe that extra DPS is what you guys might need? In my opinion, 2-healing the Gara'jal fight makes it obvious on how to juggle the spirit world for healers.

It could be. Our healer composition is a Disc. Priest, a Resto. Druid, and myself. I could shoot the idea by them and see what they think. Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
*** WARNING *** Personal Opinion Incomming!! *** WARNING ***

I've been prioritizing haste lately and have found it to be very effective when pairing with absorb healers (I raid with a holy paladin). I'm not sure what haste breakpoint you can get to with your gear, but use Mr. Robot (http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear) to help you.

Click the Edit Weights button and go through and set your haste breakpoint to various levels. Pick which spirit level you want to be at, then click save.

My gear is a bit higher than yours, but I'm currently setting mine to the 8888 breakpoint and 11k spirit. I've got the horridon trinket and LMG though, so I can go further down on spirit (I'm actually still over). IIRC, when I was doing MV, I was shooting for about 10k spirit and using a flask.

See how far your gear gets you. For me, I felt like my healing really started to improve around the 5676 breakpoint.

NOTE: Because of that weird timing bug, if Mr. Robot doesn't have you at least 50-100 haste over the breakpoint, just set it manually. I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I seem to recall reading a post on EJ about how you want to give yourself a bit of a buffer. If nothing else though, the faster casts make a huge difference.

Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
NOTE: Because of that weird timing bug, if Mr. Robot doesn't have you at least 50-100 haste over the breakpoint, just set it manually. I don't know if this is actually true or not, but I seem to recall reading a post on EJ about how you want to give yourself a bit of a buffer. If nothing else though, the faster casts make a huge difference.

Good luck!

It's only the totem breakpoints you have to be worried about; totems are buggy about interacting with Haste :)

In earlier MoP, when we had lower ilvl gear, it was a real concern because 3764 was a LOT of itemization points to invest in a stat which might or might not do what you expected it should be doing (ie... if you didn't pad the breakpoint and you sometimes didn't get the extra ticks you'd geared for) but now that we're into higher ilvl gear, yeah, it's still a concern, but we have a lot more leeway now with the stats on our gear, to hit the breakpoints we want to use.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]