[Shaman] Stat Weights Question

100 Troll Shaman
I would recommend going for that legendary meta. It has an uptime of about 10-12%, after I got mine, I found I could easily dump spirit and focus throughput stats. Right now I am in a mastery heavy build for progression fights with the 7613 haste breakpoint, some crit and about 7k spirit.

I do not have mana problems because I run 2 regen trinkets.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=41 lists all relevant breakpoints.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
We're starting ToES on Tuesday night, and I'm not sure how to handle Tsulong's day phase.

Would I be better off switching over to a Haste/Crit/Spirit build for that fight, or keeping the build I currently have?

By switching builds, I'd end up at 8.8k Spirit, 5749 Haste, 3117 Crit, and 1562 Mastery. Thoughts?

Edit: Should provide some background, I suppose. The healing team consists of me, a Resto. Druid, and a Disc. Priest. The Disc. Priest has the least amount of throughput, but we haven't figured out if it's due to rotational issues or lack of damage to heal.
Edited by Nahuul on 7/22/2013 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
I find Haste to be very effective in high movement fights - when you may be challenged to just get that cast done before having to move again!

Tortos comes to mind...

We have a priest in our 10-man, and power word shield alone does as much healing as all my heals combined over the course of some fights.

But... when the chips are down and a tank is about to die, that's when I shine with the quick 1-2 (3) punch of RT-HS-HS (or RT-HS-GHW) or maybe UE first buys just enough time to get that Healing surge cast... or GHW if the tidal waves proc is up. One of these combos can take a tank from about dead to topped off in 2-3 seconds, and it's saved our bacon many a time. I even solo-healed the last third of durumu when the other two healers died. (Amazing how much healing we shams can actually throughput when not being sniped by absorbs.)

My opinion: in this environment with all these unfairly OP absorbs from competing classes, we have to be able to snap off the big heals quick when the chips are down in order to get back on the meters and avoid being "benched". We don't do much healing when the raid is about topped off, this is when the other guy's absorbs rule the day.

But when there's massive damage going out, no other class is better at delivering huge healing spikes. Haste is the key to snapping off the casts in time.

I tried a strong mastery build, got up to around 80% -- this was very ineffective in the extreme. Slow casting means more movement interrupted casts which kills throughput. It felt like playing in molasses. Very frustrating. very difficult to react in a timely way

now my buffed haste is about 30% and I find this MUCH easier to play - especially if the fight demands a lot of movement- and they ALL do require a lot of movement.

Haven't thought about a crit build, may give it a try.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Haven't thought about a crit build, may give it a try.

Crit. builds are best if you focus on another stat, so you'll end up going Haste/Crit, Spirit/Crit, or Mastery/Crit.

07/23/2013 11:34 AMPosted by Raamas
My opinion: in this environment with all these unfairly OP absorbs from competing classes, we have to be able to snap off the big heals quick when the chips are down in order to get back on the meters and avoid being "benched".

It's not just absorbs, it's being sniped by smart heals too; sniping gets worse when more healers are present. As for being benched, I'm fortunate enough to be the raid leader, but I've considered having a DPS switch healing spots with me for certain fights (so that I'd DPS and he'd heal).
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Shaman are probably the best class for being Flex in a 10 man raid. With generally lower secondary stat scaling having less ideal gear hurts 'less'. That and who else will get the duplicate shaman gear.

My best advice is: worry less about secondary stats, though having haste be at a breakpoint is important, and worry more about the quality/ilvl of the gear. When you can time-wise, run a daily heroic scene for a shot at 516 gear, buying 522 valor gear then upgrading that gear (don't VP upgrade <515 gear unless you are done with 522+valor gear)... if you want to boost your HPS that is what matters. If you have time to run ToT LFR on top of that you have plenty of upgrades there as well, though in reality the other stuff (Heroic Scene + Valor) get you much more significant upgrades. Literally, if you get an item from a heroic scene right now that you open as resto... it has nearly a 100% chance of being an upgrade.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
We're starting ToES on Tuesday night, and I'm not sure how to handle Tsulong's day phase.

Would I be better off switching over to a Haste/Crit/Spirit build for that fight, or keeping the build I currently have?

By switching builds, I'd end up at 8.8k Spirit, 5749 Haste, 3117 Crit, and 1562 Mastery. Thoughts?

Edit: Should provide some background, I suppose. The healing team consists of me, a Resto. Druid, and a Disc. Priest. The Disc. Priest has the least amount of throughput, but we haven't figured out if it's due to rotational issues or lack of damage to heal.

Tsulong day phase is one of the few spots where you actually want to stack mastery - if you are going to specifically regear for that fight. The reason is the first day phase, you are generally healing the boss at ~25% HP, making Mastery by far the strongest throughput stat for the first phase (even stronger than INT). It's the best way to maximize output on the first day phase and overall throughput for the fight and have the boss as high as possible going into the second night phase.

I assume that you also know that you want to spec Ancestral Guidance for Tsulong, because of the way it scales (even though this was nerfed, it's still a stronger throughput talent). You also want to spec Elemental Mastery and Unleashed Fury. Make a macro to use Ancestral Guidance, Elemental Mastery, Ascendance, and any other trinkets or throughput procs all at once. Just before the first breath (or after getting the Light of Day buff if doing heroic), get Riptide up for 2 stacks of Tidal Waves, use Unleashed Elements and then hit your macro as the breath goes off and spam Healing Surge until the buff goes away.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
It's the best way to maximize output on the first day phase and overall throughput for the fight and have the boss as high as possible going into the second night phase.

What I did on LFR and 10N was just pop everything at the start of the first day phase, cast Earth Shield and Riptide on Tsulong, spammed HS a few times, refreshed Tidal Waves stacks, kept Unleashed Elements/Healing Rain going, used HTT or HST, and kept Elementals up so I could make them cast their channel ability on me. I was still only healing 80-85k HPS overall for that fight. (But since then, I've gotten my item level up by 7 points, I'm not sure how my throughput would be scaling on my next attempt).

Apparently, that strategy was also enough to solo-heal Tsulong on LFR difficulty just enough to save a wipe. :P (I'm not kidding, the other 5 healers were either AFK or raid healing, leaving no one but me on Tsulong.) I'll definitely give yours a go, though, because it should work better.

My best advice is: worry less about secondary stats, though having haste be at a breakpoint is important, and worry more about the quality/ilvl of the gear.

It'd be nice if they had gem slots. :P
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
This is our first run, so I'm not sure how much damage the group will be taking or what their average health level will be.

One thing you'll find with MSV is that many of the fights are 2-healable. Make sure one of your healers has a decent dps offset.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]