did I pick the wrong healer class

90 Blood Elf Priest
First of all I've raid healed in a lot of games and someday will want to again. Seems in general chat people are always looking for healers for all kind of raids but they always ask for holy pally/ monk/druid/shaman and specifically say no priest. I look on this forum for guilds and find the samething. What is wrong with holy priest? I do find in random bg's from 80 through 87 I am at the very least in top 2 on the healing chart. So what's up?
Reply Quote
Priests are very solid healers, and there was pretty much a boom of them this expansion, particularly Disc.

Disc is very very solid and with amazing utility, making it favored by many, particularly 10m groups. If a group is not looking for a priest in trade, chances are they already have a Disc in the group and want another healer for diversity.

Holy is not as popular as Disc, namely because absorbs have ruled these two tiers, however they are very strong throughput healers. Their only limitation is mana due to their poor mana regeneration, but otherwise they have potential to have some of the strongest raw raid heal output among all healers. Overall solid on their own, and good complements to most healers; they just get overshadowed by Disc a lot.

TL;DR: Priests are fine. Disc is amazing, Holy is also good but Disc generally overshadows due to the reputation they have had this expansion, specially in T14.

Holy 4 lyfe, though.
Edited by Korghal on 7/3/2013 7:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
First of all I've raid healed in a lot of games and someday will want to again. Seems in general chat people are always looking for healers for all kind of raids but they always ask for holy pally/ monk/druid/shaman and specifically say no priest. I look on this forum for guilds and find the samething. What is wrong with holy priest? I do find in random bg's from 80 through 87 I am at the very least in top 2 on the healing chart. So what's up?

You're also comparing PvE to PvP by mentioning that you're doing well healing-wise in PvP. Two different fields, buddy.

The only reason why people always look for Pallies/Monks/Druids/Shamans are because raid groups typically already have a Priest healer. Getting a second, regardless of Holy or Disc spec, is just rolling on same loots. When you've got healers in different armor types, it's just easier to do raid progression because it's easier to get drops you need.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
07/03/2013 08:01 PMPosted by Unicornkitty
The only reason why people always look for Pallies/Monks/Druids/Shamans are because raid groups typically already have a Priest healer.

^^This.

Priest is a very popular healing class and doing very well in the game at the moment. When running LFR, it is typical to have 2-3 healers as priests. I've even had all 6 preist heals a couple of times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I'd agree with the above poster in saying that people probably aren't looking for priests because they already have one. I love being a priest because we have 2 healing specs which makes things fun if you aren't obsessed with maxing healing for every fight and also because at the moment disc and holy are the 2 best healing specs in the game (for PvE which is all I care about). Holy is only a tiny bit behind disc but I'd say disc is the easier to master of the two specs and for whatever reason people don't like holy. Anyway best of luck and hope you like priest!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
@ Torantine at higher gear levels Holy seems to actually outperform Disc on quite a few ToT fights, so it's not really behind disc. They seem about even, overall.

To OP, if you are looking to raid heal then you need to go Disc until you get the gear to go holy to compensate for the bad Mana regen.

Most raid teams are looking for a Disc Priest, if they need a priest at all, because of how well they perform in ToT.

If you are just wanting to do BGs---go disc. Holy is crap for PvP. At your level, I'm sure it seems fine because you're not 90 yet.

Also, in terms of raiding, the guilds you're looking at don't want a priest b/c they already have a priest. But there are plenty of posts on the forums with guilds looking for priest healers.
Edited by Kyáza on 7/4/2013 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/04/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Kyáza
@ Torantine at higher gear levels Holy seems to actually outperform Disc on quite a few ToT fights, so it's not really behind disc. They seem about even, overall.

It really has far less to do with gear, and far more to do with the types of encounters. Holy is only ever able to surpass Disc when the incoming damage is so high and so consistent that it punches through Disc's throughput cap. You'll only find this when severely underhealing Normal encounters, and when you are not overhealing high-damage fights like H Iron Qon, H Twin Consorts, H Durumu, H Primordius, and Ra-Den, assuming both Priests are of equal skill and gear. A case can be made for H Council fitting this bill, as well. Otherwise, Disc's shields snipe healing before Holy can get at it, and this is why Disc Priests will normally look very strong on the meters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
07/04/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Kyáza
If you are just wanting to do BGs---go disc. Holy is crap for PvP. At your level, I'm sure it seems fine because you're not 90 yet.

This is false, holy is doing quite well in PVP. All i do is play holy in pvp. once you get the pvp set at 90...the chakra CD being only 5 seconds frees us up to be quite formidable when played well. Holy is getting known to be better in 2's arena as well (over disc). Many big named disc priests are playing holy in pvp more frequently. And many RBG groups use us.

Otherwise, Disc's shields snipe healing before Holy can get at it, and this is why Disc Priests will normally look very strong on the meters.

This is true

Holy priests only face the problem of mana regen. Its basically a trade off....we are the raw healing masters, but it comes at a great expense that must be managed very well. Both are great specs with two totally different playstyles. I strictly stay with Holy....others Disc. But you'll always have a spot with either!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
yeah, there seems to be a lot of priest healers these days, it's kind of surprising. I have a resto shaman that I use when there are just too many priest healers in the raid group, which happens more often than I care for lol.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
The sad truth is that as of right now holy will never be better for 10man. While it may do great healing and better HPS than Disc at high gear levels, groups don't bring priest for HPS. They bring priest for 1 thing, and one thing only.... Bubbles. The amount of stability a disc priest can bring to a group is outstanding. With their bubbles reducing huge spike damage (such as thunderstruck on Lei Shen).

If you want to stay 10man and raid at a competitive level I would say go disc, but if you really want to raid as holy I'd follow the wave of Resto Shamans and transition into 25man raiding.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]