How much harder is pvp healing from dps?

90 Night Elf Druid
Hello! I just maxed out this druid a couple days ago and after some lfr runs and some bg's I've settled that I want to resto druid heal. However, I'm not sure how complicated it is at high levels.

I've never really played at a high level (just around 1800's to 1900's on my arms warrior at the end of cata) but I think I get the gist of playing that can enable me to get high ratings assuming I put enough work in. I know as a dps to make hard target switches when something like a spriest has his disperse down or a healer is out of place. I know how to push cd's so when I use my damage cd's they're helpless as well as the importance of positioning and communication.

But healing looks so intimidating! I know resto druids are decent this season and I originally planned on going boomy but I want to play a really strong spec going into next season.

T;LDR
What are big things that you guys have to do? How do I make the transition from a dps pvper and dps raider to a pvp healer?

Edit: Please don't critique my character, I got some minor conquest pieces for the ilvl upgrade to go into lfr initially but since then I've changed my mind but had to keep the gear. On top of that I'm not gemming/enchanting at all or correctly because most of this gear isn't permanent. Just looking to gather all my gear then correct it. (Red parry gem was given to me by my partner. Lol)
Edited by Borra on 7/7/2013 1:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Positioning is a ton more important, more pressure on you. Usually more keybinds considering party targeting macros

ps. as a druid keep mages and shaman as your focus so you can see when they cast polymorph, then just swap forms. Whenever you feel burst is coming pre hot to prevent hard switches
Edited by Mircy on 7/7/2013 1:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It requires a different mindset then anything.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
ps. as a druid keep mages and shaman as your focus so you can see when they cast polymorph, then just swap forms. Whenever you feel burst is coming pre hot to prevent hard switches

I need to practice that a bit, I just kept trying to use the pillar to los. Lol

And which types of macros? Do I need to make it so my heals are just arena target 1/2 so I don't have to target them?
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
And which types of macros? Do I need to make it so my heals are just arena target 1/2 so I don't have to target them?

Well somewhat, you need target party 1-3 macros, dispel 1-3 macros, ironbark 1-3, cyclone enemy 1-3 macros. You wont need like lifebloom/rejuv 1-3, just use your party 1-3 macros to target them and cast it
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Well somewhat, you need target party 1-3 macros, dispel 1-3 macros, ironbark 1-3, cyclone enemy 1-3 macros. You wont need like lifebloom/rejuv 1-3, just use your party 1-3 macros to target them and cast it

That doesn't sound too bad, shift/ctrl/alt modifiers should make it easy. In rbg's do I need any other macros or key binds?

And does anyone else have any helpful input?
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
As a resto Druid you're going to be one of the most offensive healers in the game. You'll quickly find out that even a fully hotted target that you're spamming regrowth on can still go down from the other team's burst. Because of this Druids have a ton of CC. I suggest practicing knowing when to play defensive and when to play offensive by ccing in order to stop damage
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Death Knight
Rdruid healing can be quite stressful so don't get discouraged.

Skill capped has some great Druid vids for this patch.

Try and keep hots (rejuv) on yourself, because hard swaps are miserable.

Don't stack barkskin and ironbark they dr, or so I've heard.

Sometimes cyclone is the best heal.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
What are big things that you guys have to do? How do I make the transition from a dps pvper and dps raider to a pvp healer?

The biggest thing I had to learn as a PVP healer, especially in regular battlegrounds, is it's not always your fault when someone dies. If the DPS are poorly geared or just overall stupid, unless you're super geared/experienced, you won't be able to save everyone. You are going to have to get used to is healing while under stress, especially since you will most likely be focused first. Again, if your DPS aren't stupid, they should be peeling those bad guys off you instead of expecting you to heal through it while also healing them all the time.

I personally use the Blizzard UI to heal, but you might find it easier to use a healing add-on like Vuhdo to keep track of everyone. Make sure you are taking advantage of keybinds because they will allow you to keep your eyes on the screen instead of looking down at your bar to find a heal.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I've only been 90 for a week now, so some of the things that have been helping me are.

Consistent Teammate makes a huge difference. Currently rolling with a BM hunter, both of us are still gearing up, but the more we play together, the better we do. Practice is everything.

Positioning is key, its very easy to lose a match just by being out of place for a second.

don't panic and blow all your CCs, you will be surprised how your well Bark CDs diminish the pressure. Can't stress enough about how awesome Displacer Beast is.

For talents, I find disorienting roar better than mighty bash. I never find myself in melee range to use it when I want to use it.

I personally use few macros, only a Cyclone/Entangling Roots alt cast and Nature's Swiftness+Healing Touch. I find that few macros are the best way to go starting out. I mostly do 2s, so I eventually want to set my heals to main cast me:Alt cast team mate to avoid mouse over macros when I dont need them, and don't have to drop target on valuable targets like the enemy healer.

But these are what I have done to start off with, and finding success. I am far from 2k.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The biggest thing I had to learn as a PVP healer, especially in regular battlegrounds, is it's not always your fault when someone dies. If the DPS are poorly geared or just overall stupid, unless you're super geared/experienced, you won't be able to save everyone. You are going to have to get used to is healing while under stress, especially since you will most likely be focused first. Again, if your DPS aren't stupid, they should be peeling those bad guys off you instead of expecting you to heal through it while also healing them all the time.

Yeah, I haven't even been using skype with the warriors I'm doing 2's with and we recently tanked our mmr because I want to get quick conquest but when we were at 1700 and I had to work for wins it did get stressful. I was much more critical of my warrior overextending or not intervening my trap (We weren't using skype but I was getting annoyed regardless) and not peeling when I needed it.

And then I can't say how much I love cyclone! I've probably saved my own life 3 times by using cyclone over regrowth because I can get 3 off instead of 1. It completely stops their damage and all they can possibly do is trinket.

Then another point I've seen was offensive/defensive debacles. The problem I've been having is with discipline priests and hunters. I know they're op but when a hunters pet is outdamaging my dots and the priests fears/mc's have me locked up indefinitely it annoys me to no end.

Displacer beast is also my favorite move. It makes positioning and peeling away so easy!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Rdruids are fun, but hots are really crappy, its pretty much about timing your skins, getting away if theyre on you, and cc'ing. Get caught w/o displacer beast, barkskin and ironbark, and you're a dead druid, unless its melee and you tree form.

Rdruids are probably hardest healers to play, as in skill floor, and skill cap, but they're extremely good at higher levels of play, and you must play with casters to actually make it work. Playing with melee, simply isnt worth it, some people can get high with rdruids with comps like kfc, but they could have been a lot higher with a !@#$tier disc.

The bad part, aside from mushrooms, is that rdruids take forever to heal back up if theres tons of spread pressure, you can only lifebloom one target, and rejuv, doesnt really compensate for much. Everybody is just gonna hover at low hp forever.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
And is it bad that I find myself forced to pop tree earlier on? Theres so many mongoloid teams out there that I can't really do any formidable healing out of it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Can you link the macro's for targeting arena party members? Or if there is a website or another spot where I can find it that you could point me to I'd appreciate it.
Reply Quote
46 Night Elf Druid
Healing arena is much different than dealing damage in arena. When healing your goal is to keep your team topped and prepared every single second of the fight. So pretty much you stand in the back, avoid cc, and stare at your teammates health bars while they hammer away at the opposing team

Doing damage is paying more attention to the positioning of the enemy team and lining up huge cc chains. Protecting healer is a must, and coordinating kills with your teammate is something a healer does not have to do
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think goon made the best point.. It has to do with mind set more than anything.

Some people are just great healers and awful DPS, but others are great DPS and awful healers.

So it has a lot to do with who you ask.

I'm certainly enjoying it. I thought I'd dread not being able to kill someone whos in a bad spot but having a lot of cc control is fun enough for me.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
xD
I'm trying to learn how to play resto druid atm as well, I never realized how crappy hots can be sometimes(or maybe I'm doing it wrong IDK). I find myself asking my partners to kite back to shrooms quite often, and I end up using quite a few NS's defensively. I do like having the extra CC with being a druid and the immunities to poly and roots. Also being able to typhoon priests going in for a fear(spectral guise? JK knocked out) and displacing a casted CC because of range is awesome. Having come from playing monk healer (and a bunch of dps classes) I've found the switch quite difficult, it seems much harder to top people and I'm still not use to healing through swaps onto me. The only thing that seems easier for me is maintaining good positioning, since you can pop hots/swiftmend and move back behind a pillar. DK was my main beforehand, so imo melee positioning on a low mobility class was a bit more difficult.

One of the harder parts about healing instead of DPSing is that you have to coordinate your team a bit, you have to let them know when the team can push in (IE you have cooldowns and a way out, and so do your dps), and also when you have to play defensively. If your teammates don't know what state the team is in, in terms of cooldowns/trinket they might be unaware to how they should position themselves.

You also have to call cooldowns to an extent, or at least coordinate well with your DPS so you don't overlap things. You don't want to end up using trinket+tree when you don't have too because your partner walled.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
xD
07/07/2013 11:04 PMPosted by Borra

Can you link the macro's for targeting arena party members? Or if there is a website or another spot where I can find it that you could point me to I'd appreciate it.

You can bind target self, target party 1, and target party 2 inside of the default blizz keybinds thing. Personally that's how I do it, but if you don't want to mess up binds for another character you can use these macros(hopefully they work lol).
Note: The target party 1 and 2 change depending on who joins the arena game first, so you might have to ask a team mate to pass lead to a different member so the targeting is in the right order for you. Ex: Sometimes the guy who shows up first on your raid frames is actually target party 2, so it'll mess up your thinking.
/target [target=party1]
/target [target=party2]
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]