Thank you healers

90 Human Paladin
I made myself a resto druid a few days ago to try my act at the healing game, and I must say I have never gotten more crap from people than I ever did as a tank; in fact, ever. I have never been blamed so much for other peoples mistakes. Tanks thinking they can pull an entire instance without waiting for the group, DPS' going Rambo trying to be the tank, the list goes on and on until you got yourself a wipe. So to all you healers who have stuck it though thick and thin with stupid people, I just want to say thank you. I did not fully appreciate you guys until now.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I will accept gratitude in the form of delicious peanut butter cookies.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
We <3 you too, Oldspice.

And not just cuz you smell good :D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How lovely of you to say so! I really appreciate good tanks, and good DPS, because I'm not great at either.

Also, I'm not as picky as Illu; I will accept any delicious cookies as thanks :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I never get crap from people. Once in a blue moon I may be called out for something then a quick education with numbers from recount puts an end to it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Working on those cookies pronto.

I never get crap from people. Once in a blue moon I may be called out for something then a quick education with numbers from recount puts an end to it.

Hah! That's a good idea I'll have to try that sometime. I will admit, not all mistakes are theirs, I own up to mine being new to healing and learning your trade. Just seems like from my experiences you guys don't get the respect you guys deserve most of the time.
Reply Quote
healers are often at fault, when people die. DPS are tested when people hit berserk timers or get overwhelmed by an encounters adds. Healers have failed when people die.

If you were better, would they have lived? It might not strictly be "your fault" per se, but another healer in that position, might have been able to prevent it.

If nothing goes wrong, healers might as well go afk.
Edited by Venomheart on 7/8/2013 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin

O.o In a 5 man maybe. Even in those, there are somethings that you just can't heal through. I had four people in cloth in a lowbie scarlet halls the other day, and no one with righteous fury/defensive stance/etc on. Everyone was getting hit for 50-75% of their health about every second during every pull with more than 3 mobs. As a druid with, even with rejuv/regrowth rolling on everyone and swiftmend on CD, we wiped. Many times.

Granted, these situations don't happen often at any level (hopefully), but sometimes the stars align, and we get more than anyone (in equivalent gear) could handle.
Reply Quote
07/08/2013 12:46 PMPosted by Weeblzwobble

O.o In a 5 man maybe. Even in those, there are somethings that you just can't heal through. I had four people in cloth in a lowbie scarlet halls the other day, and no one with righteous fury/defensive stance/etc on. Everyone was getting hit for 50-75% of their health about every second during every pull with more than 3 mobs. As a druid with, even with rejuv/regrowth rolling on everyone and swiftmend on CD, we wiped. Many times.

Granted, these situations don't happen often at any level (hopefully), but sometimes the stars align, and we get more than anyone (in equivalent gear) could handle.

and it's those rare moments that make healing fun. Once I was in a group that pulled 10 mobs along with the first boss in scholomance, it felt epic when we lived. Think I did 80k hps or something.

in LFR it takes 1 competent healer to not be afk. In a 5 man, I think all of them can be done without healers now.

Treasure these incompetent groups, for they don't happen often.
Edited by Venomheart on 7/8/2013 1:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
There's a difference between fun and impossible :p I like meeting a challenge. I don't like wiping because people don't understand why they can't tank in whites and intellect gear. My point was, sometimes things cannot be healed through with the tools available to a player, so it is the healer's fault if they aren't paying attention. It is not the healer's fault if the group has a death wish.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXCb6azGnbk
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I made myself a resto druid a few days ago to try my act at the healing game, and I must say I have never gotten more crap from people than I ever did as a tank; in fact, ever. I have never been blamed so much for other peoples mistakes. Tanks thinking they can pull an entire instance without waiting for the group, DPS' going Rambo trying to be the tank, the list goes on and on until you got yourself a wipe. So to all you healers who have stuck it though thick and thin with stupid people, I just want to say thank you. I did not fully appreciate you guys until now.

Not only do you have a suave name, but you have a good attitude. I like you. You can stay - as either a tank OR a healer. ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Healers have failed when people die.

Unless they died to stupid. You can't heal stupid...unless you're a disc priest.

Treasure these incompetent groups, for they don't happen often.

Truer words never spoken. It's like when I tank (which is what I mostly do) I sometimes hope I get a bad healer so I actually have to push a cooldown or something while pulling half the instance in these "heroics." Keeps me on my toes, it's exciting. Runs are too boring when everyone does the right thing and nothing goes wrong.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Play all 3 spec (tank, healer and damage), then we will be more caring.

I tank with my 519 DK, heal with my 531 monk and dps with my 524 mage.

Really happy to c your post.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Also, I'm not as picky as Illu; I will accept any delicious cookies as thanks :D

Excluding oatmeal raisin. Raisins are the devil. Or possibly just dehydrated grapes. I always get those two things confused.
Edited by Winnifred on 7/9/2013 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Death Knight
This was a really nice post. Healers take a lot of garbage (though I've also come across some pretty arrogant ones who throw out plenty of their own), and I've always wished that anyone who complained about heals would log on one day to find they couldn't access their main again until they healed a dungeon or pvp or whatever it was they were screaming about themselves. So then they'd know. Nobody gets it til they do it. I wouldn't have either, most likely, had I not started the game as a healer and found I had this bizarre preference for staring at raid frames in pvp. I try so hard to dps, but I can't ever stop watching the health bars of my team, so back to the healers I always go.

Nice post, and really, really appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
@ OP, welcome to life as a healer.

@ Nonsmoker, sometimes you have to give crap back to the tanks/dps who are dishing it out to you. Some people might be okay with being railroaded, but most aren't.

I have a method I use--if someone starts crap with me in a lowbie dungeon (on a healy alt), then I throw it right back at them. But I don't start it myself. A tank can be terribad or a dps can stand in lots of bad stuff (and sometimes die to it b/c sometimes it's not healable). I may say an offhand comment about maybe avoiding stuff, but I'm not mean until someone else is mean first.

I'm just saying-- you can't make it as a healer if you're not willing to stand up for yourself when things that happen aren't your fault.

^ To add to that, you also can't make it as a healer if you're not willing to admit to the wipes that *are* your fault. It's a delicate balance.

Anyway. Back @ OP, I think everyone needs to heal to appreciate how much healers really do put up with.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest

Hah! That's a good idea I'll have to try that sometime. I will admit, not all mistakes are theirs, I own up to mine being new to healing and learning your trade. Just seems like from my experiences you guys don't get the respect you guys deserve most of the time.

You are right, you don't get credit for keeping people alive, but get the blame for their death. I do one of 2 things:

1) If it was their fault, I generally ignore the comments. Arguing on the internet only makes you look more stupid. Most of the time it stays quiet.

2) If it was my fault, I own it. My favorite comment is "sorry guys, I shall now perform an emergency self cranial-rectal separation surgery." I know when it's my mistake, and I will say it up front when it is. I have found when I do that, there are nothing but "no worries, it's cool" type of comments 90% of the time, and 9% of time I get "Nah, I was being stupid too", and only 1% of the time do I get anything negative.

If people want to get negative, I just up and leave. Life is too short to argue over the internet over whether my healing was adequate or their knowledge of a scenario lacking. I do view it as not standing up for myself. With random pugs that I'm not likely to ever see again, I don't care what they think of me so I've learned it isn't worth the effort. If they don't shut up, I leave. Plan and simple. Too many other things to do in the game, or just turn on the computer and do something else. It's a game afterall.

Also, when I hope on a tank, I make sure to thank my healer at the end of a run. I also have come to value smart DPS. Though, smart DPS makes my runs boring...so ti's a double edged sword. I've actually found I get more annoyed at stupid DPS as a tank than I do as a healer.
Reply Quote
100 Human Priest
07/09/2013 11:55 AMPosted by Winnifred

Excluding oatmeal raisin. Raisins are the devil. Or possibly just dehydrated grapes. I always get those two things confused.

How can you hate oatmeal raisin cookies?

I would like some White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Chocolate Cookies more though...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

Ok, you're allowed to stay :) Welcome to the Healer Forums
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]