Thank you healers

90 Human Death Knight
I agree 100% with the OP. I have been working on my healing in PvP and it is a thankless job. I can't tell you the number of times that I have come across one of my teammates being wrecked on by 2 DPS. Oh, did they think that all of a sudden their health bars were rising miraculously or what? Once I start healing them and the DPS turns on me, what does my teammate do? But of course they get up and run off, mount, and leave as soon as possible. Meanwhile I am getting pummeled on and killed. This is what I have come to realize is what happens the majority of the time. When I am on one of my DPS toons, I always make sure, especially now, to say thanks to the healer who provided the great heals at such and such node.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
It should be manditory for raid leaders to be healers. To me, you get the best picture of what the heck is actually going on and who is responsible for 'fails' (and successes) within a group.

Great DPS is nice, but if your sucking down the team, dying or taking up 60% of the heals and dragging the team down, what good are you.

If a tank doesn't handle the mechanics well, or is putting the raid at risk, you don't need to consult the logs to figure it out, you see it.

Unless you heal (or have healed), you just 'can't' get it...(OK, you can study he logs, but heals STILL have better perspective...lol)

Cheers
(and welcome to the ranks)
Edited by Docdoom on 7/12/2013 12:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Thanks for the kind post, OP.

A lot of people who haven't healed don't really understand how the healing mechanic works, especially since Cata. Healing used to be quick and fun. Now, it's long, drawn out, and IMO kind of boring. I loved playing a Flash of Light pally back in LK. Back then, you had a choice between two types of pally healers, Flash of Light or Holy Light. Each had their own play style, gems, glyphs, and so on.

Now, it's long, painfully slow heals for everyone. And when the party is sitting around waiting for me to cast Divine Light 6-8 times just to get everyone brought back up to full, then sit around waiting on me to mana up, it really seems to break the momentum (and enjoyability) of running heroics.

Luckly, returning to the main topic, I'm pretty lucky. Most of the time when a DPS dies it's their fault and they know it. I usually apologize for losing someone, but oftentimes they admit to standing in X and try harder to avoid stuff.

I, and I suspect most of the healers here, would be happy to heal for you anytime.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
That's WHY, when I enter a raid/dungeon as a DPS on my shadow priest, I try to provide some help to the healers, either by throwing bubbles at tanks, or by healing the ones with less health.

My favorite healing time is in bg's. Especially when I throw heals at a DPS, and he takes off running, tail between legs, leaving me to get killed in his stead. Epic!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
You're on a BOAT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSpKkwID7Ko

Back at me!

I so want the OP to say that XD
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Thanks for the nice post. As some have mentioned here already, healers don't get the best responses sometimes, and neither do tanks (i tank as well on a warrior). I leveled as a resto druid from 1-90 only in dungeons, and then moved on to raids. I've never not been resto lol. I've had a few moments where people were not very kind, but I've also had moments where people leave a great remark after a dungeon, like "great heals! :)"

People don't understanding healing until they've done it. Casting a few self-heals on yourself during a fight does not count either. In healing, there is no rotation. It's entirely based on your judgement, style of healing (quick/laid back/raid/tank healer, cast frequency, etc) and how well you know the fights. If you are constantly losing members and not keeping players alive, then either 1) you suck, or 2) you're undergeared. I've seen it happen both ways as a healer and as a tank. It makes me appreciate both roles honestly.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Strictly speaking of PVE: Support classes have all the responsibility of tanks, none of the glamour, and twice the emphasis on twitch reactions. Behind every great rockstar is a team of technicians and stage managers covering asses and fixing everyone's !@#$.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I made myself a resto druid a few days ago to try my act at the healing game, and I must say I have never gotten more crap from people than I ever did as a tank; in fact, ever. I have never been blamed so much for other peoples mistakes. Tanks thinking they can pull an entire instance without waiting for the group, DPS' going Rambo trying to be the tank, the list goes on and on until you got yourself a wipe. So to all you healers who have stuck it though thick and thin with stupid people, I just want to say thank you. I did not fully appreciate you guys until now.

You get used to it. Your only job is to "keep people alive" so they think if everyone died that you failed. It doesn't matter if they stood in fire and /slept in the middle of Thunderstruck, you should have healed the dps through so they can tunnel.

It's at it's worst at the start of an expac when everyone is used to facerolling heroics in full raid gear and the healer is sleeping yet manages to toss a HoT here and there and /dance FTW!

Randoms are the devil. Avoid them if at all possible while you are learning and run with guildies. Hang in there. Eventually you will tune out their cries and become jaded like the rest of us.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I am the first one to apologize to healers for standing in bad, sometimes I do a prewarning of "I will stand in bad, on accident, dont worry about healing me, Im a shadow priest." (Devo plague, disperse, desperate prayer - hell ive even been known to break shadow to back up heal when needed)
I love healing, but I also love the complete stress free environment dps allows.
Also, if I screw up as the healer, the first thing I do is aplogize if it;s my fault. If it isnt I just wont say anything.
Im also that one random dps in the group who will stick up for healers who arent sticking up for themselves (if i know it's someone else's fault)
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
and it's those rare moments that make healing fun. Once I was in a group that pulled 10 mobs along with the first boss in scholomance, it felt epic when we lived. Think I did 80k hps or something

This is what PvE healing is about man. I always say that it isn't fun unless I'm scared someone will die.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I made myself a resto druid a few days ago to try my act at the healing game, and I must say I have never gotten more crap from people than I ever did as a tank; in fact, ever. I have never been blamed so much for other peoples mistakes. Tanks thinking they can pull an entire instance without waiting for the group, DPS' going Rambo trying to be the tank, the list goes on and on until you got yourself a wipe. So to all you healers who have stuck it though thick and thin with stupid people, I just want to say thank you. I did not fully appreciate you guys until now.

OMG so much this!!!

My main is tank and my first alt (have many alts but only keep up with VP on one) is caster dps. My raid team is struggling for lack of backup healers so even though I really thought I would suck at it I rolled this resto druid. For the most part I enjoy healing...it brings a whole new set of challenges to the game. On the other hand, it has REALLY made me a better player in my tank role. After every 'bad' MoP random normal dungeon I make it through...and unfortunately there are more of these than 'good'...I immediately hop on Guild Chat and praise my healers for all they do and have done so far. I make promises to them about how, as tank, I wont ever stand in bad stuff, will use ALL my defensive CD's, and will NEVER let an add touch them again. They get a good chuckle out of it, but I really am dead serious.

To all those who have made healing a WoW "career", I salute you.
Edited by Póki on 7/16/2013 8:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I know how that is. Course i generally stick by the tank in current stuff. If the dps run ahead their fault. I do that on my tank as well. Since I understand that healers need mana time and again. (it is an excuse to point out that if you are out of range of both the healer and tank, you are screwed on your own)
We put up with crap because we know that if someone annoys us. well... we have the choice on weather or not to heal or not. Which I like to keep them low health. spirit shell does wonders. pop a shield on em to keep em alive. Then keep absorbs on them so they don't see their health going up and see absorbs. Which if disc, they may only assume it is power word shield. (then you void shift and laugh)

We put up with crap because we know that after the dungeon we won't see them again, or that we are already halfway through a dungeon. Pointless to need to start all over in the queue. With a chance to get an even worse group.

While leveling. We put up with it because the xp is a big bonus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]