Pet Battles need a Currency and a Vendor.

90 Draenei Paladin
07/08/2013 02:28 PMPosted by Thirdfaction
think that you guys that are approaching 100% rare pets are in the minority. Everybody else would still get great use out of stones placed on a vendor that accepts some currency obtained through Pet Battling.

My thoughts exactly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I think, if Blizzard intended people to get rares of every breed, that they would've had rare stones, in addition to uncommon stones available through a vendor. Not to mention the rarity of finding rare pets in the wild.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
I think, if Blizzard intended people to get rares of every breed, that they would've had rare stones, in addition to uncommon stones available through a vendor. Not to mention the rarity of finding rare pets in the wild.

They probably also wouldn't have called them "rare". :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

Even with my suggestion again stones wouldn't be candy, the price could be prohibitive. Fact is for Pet PVP you need rare pets and the current system can have you sitting for weeks or more before you get a stone you need.

Or farming for untold hours trying to get the right breed and rarity at the same time.

Something to work towards, a progression path, that's what I'm suggesting.

Oh yes, because the blue "rare" classification actually means rare for any other aspect of this game.

The countless common "rare" pets don't fly in the face of that either right?
Edited by Cadenbrie on 7/8/2013 11:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/08/2013 11:32 PMPosted by Cadenbrie

Even with my suggestion again stones wouldn't be candy, the price could be prohibitive. Fact is for Pet PVP you need rare pets and the current system can have you sitting for weeks or more before you get a stone you need.

Or farming for untold hours trying to get the right breed and rarity at the same time.

Something to work towards, a progression path, that's what I'm suggesting.

Oh yes, because the blue "rare" classification actually means rare for any other aspect of this game.

There are plenty of ways to get rare quality pets - including, simply farming for them. The stones are best used for pets that are difficult, if not impossible to farm for.

It's also worth pointing out - that "any other aspect of this game" doesn't have "rare" as the highest quality. Battle Pets, at least at this point, do.

The fact that there are so many available, and relatively easy to get, rare pets, actually does more to argue why getting more shouldn't be made any easier, rather than the opposite.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter

Your humor detection meter seems to be broken.

Might wanna take it to the shop. : )

(Although, I'll admit... it was a pretty bad joke to begin w/)
Edited by Triggers on 7/9/2013 12:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
actually does more to argue why getting more shouldn't be made any easier

Why.

Do explain how a progression path would hurt anything for pet battles, such as currency and a vendor.

I've already given my reasons for it.

So far you've said "It's already easy." and "But they should be rare."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My idea was always a Pet Battle Guild. Where we could join teams, a la Pokemon. We would gain currency faction with our team, enabling us to buy Bandages, rare/Epic Stones, and Even new pets. Kind of a cross between the Argent Tourney and the Brawler's guild.

Start the home cities, and through patches, you can add new factions throughout WoW's history.
Reply Quote
They already have a currency of sorts... Lesser Charm of Good Fortune.

Which are completely useless for people like me who don't raid.
I would love pet currency that could be spent on new pets or exp buffs.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
07/09/2013 02:35 PMPosted by Sablefoxx
They already have a currency of sorts... Lesser Charm of Good Fortune.

Which are completely useless for people like me who don't raid.
I would love pet currency that could be spent on new pets or exp buffs.

You gain these through pet battles already. Raiding is only associated on the side. Even if you turn in your 50 per week you'll end up with many more. I have 2500 on this character and over 1000 on alts, don't raid and turn on my 50 for the 45 gold every week.

Now, if I could buy a stone with 500 or 1000 of them, Bandages for 50 a pop, etc... Then they have a use for the non-raider which will have more than someone who only raids or does dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
Lesser Charm of Good Fortune. Given after battles and after tamer turn-ins. I have 4953 of them now on this toon alone. Would have more but my rep is capped for all factions outside raid ones. I end up getting 50-100 before hitting valor cap on this toon. Also capped on Mogu charms weekly since all I have time to do is LFR and all I need is a trinket...still looking to replace my Offensive one.

There is no need to introduce yet ANOTHER currency that will be obsolete like the Org cooking tokens and Justice Points.

The idea of turning these in or even using Justice or valor on upgrade stones is fine by me. The wild pets I have at uncommon still need stoned. No desire to farm my time away on rares, as I have 2 fresh 90s to gear up.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
You guys have to remember that the battle-stone demand is coming to an end.

There are new people starting pet battles every day. But even if you have all rares, you can still stone tradable greens and sell them. So really even for you the demand for stones is the same as it was on day one. You're just ignoring their inherent value.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
I'm not saying just hand stones out like candy, make them pricy, just make them a goal you can actually work towards without praying to RNG.

How would you handle the fact that there are currently ten types of stones (plus the general ones) which can turn up in bags? I can see four methods, none of which seem satisfactory.

(1) You can buy a stone after every 10 dailies (or whatever arbitrary number you like), but the type is randomly selected after you purchase it. Has roughly the same results long-term as the current system, and is still heavily RNG-driven.

(2) You can buy a stone after every 10 dailies, and pick which family it's for. This gives players far more benefit than the current system.

(3) You can buy a stone after every 100 dailies, and pick which family it's for. This would mean you would get that Undead (or Beast, or Dragonkin) stone at about the same rate as the current system. But in the meantime you get no stones, so way less overall than the current system.

(4) Ten different currencies, one for each family. Please, no.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I've always used the Beasts of Fable as my go to for stones and personally I think its fine. The unpredictability of stone type initially meant that I had to think carefully about which pet got the rare treatment. It really made the choice meaningful.

Soon we will be able to trade excess stones for a specific family type stone or w/e and I think thats a better improvement on the current system rather than introducing a currency.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
07/09/2013 12:27 AMPosted by Cadenbrie
actually does more to argue why getting more shouldn't be made any easier

Why.

Do explain how a progression path would hurt anything for pet battles, such as currency and a vendor.

I've already given my reasons for it.

So far you've said "It's already easy." and "But they should be rare."

Then let me clarify.

Your complaint was that you "need" blue pets in order to win at PvP; but you've already acknowledged that there are plenty of blue pets that are relatively easy to obtain. Which means there's no real reason to make other pets easier to upgrade.

Especially considering that the vast majority of pets that are not automatically rare quality, are entirely farmable, and stones drop at enough of a frequency to take care of the handful that are not.

This isn't gear progression - where you need a certain level of gear to do content, and PvP battles depend on matchups and skill choices/reactions far more than the quality of the pet. Especially between Uncommon (stones available from Justice vendor), and rare.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I kind of like the idea of lesser charms being used as currency for more things, including pet battle things. I hope they keep lesser charms for next xpac and just introduce new elder charms for tier 17 content.

I'd like these charms to be a currency for pet battle bandages, stones, exp buff items, and vanity items. And maybe even for vendor exclusive pets!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I kind of like the idea of lesser charms being used as currency for more things, including pet battle things. I hope they keep lesser charms for next xpac and just introduce new elder charms for tier 17 content.

I'd like these charms to be a currency for pet battle bandages, stones, exp buff items, and vanity items. And maybe even for vendor exclusive pets!

I will agree that it would be nice for an additional "charm sink" - unless Blizzard decides to make the Charm turn in quest a daily, instead of a weekly, I currently have enough charms for six months worth of turn-ins (1300). The real kicker is, a week ago, I only had about 300, and the only thing I've done this week was just level pets.
Reply Quote
43 Night Elf Druid
I don't agree with this proposal.

Initially I was all over pet battles and gathered a ton of stones in the process. Some I used, some I traded for pets that I wanted (traded more than actually used them). If they were easier to get, they wouldn't be used for pet trades at all (which has always been far more important to me than having all rares).

While it can be frustrating to try and find a particular stone, that's the time sink blizz wants.

As for those that think the need will diminish, I disagree in part. They will always be in high demand due to the fact that new people (not necessarily new to WoW) can get the bug to start collecting and this constantly refreshes the need (especially if used for trading). Will they be piled up in everyone's bank like bandages at some point, maybe... but not any time soon.

Also, those that have every "ideal" breed of every pet in rare quality is most definitely the minority at this point, and probably always will be. It takes a certain amount of long term OCD to get there and not many WoW players have that for such a small part of WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I'd love a vendor that used lesser charms. I have like 1900 of the things. I would like a breed stone added as well as the normal rarity ones. some pets suffer from having bad breeds and it would be nice to be able to fix that by stoning them.
Reply Quote
64 Troll Shaman
I would love to have some use for my own excess Lesser Charms.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]