New Healer

90 Blood Elf Priest
Just got my priest to 90 and I want to heal. Mainly Holy but Disc if its ultimately. I was wondering where do I start off from here? How much spirit would I need to not oom constantly in heroics? Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Honestly you should be fine in whatever the bare minimum ilvl is, the "heroic" 5 mans are a complete joke. Maybe bring some water just incase you get matched with a group of geared people doing a speed clear for valor.

Other pieces of advice I can say is always tell people up front you're new - they will always be more patient that way and typically even try harder to keep themselves alive. Oh and also, while both specs are viable, Disc is ultimately considered the better spec on the majority of bosses this tier, just because of how absorbs work. In the end though, skill > spec 100/100. So play what you want! I just thought i'd let you know since you do have the option of playing both as a priest ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Just got my priest to 90 and I want to heal. Mainly Holy but Disc if its ultimately. I was wondering where do I start off from here? How much spirit would I need to not oom constantly in heroics? Thanks.

As Holy, you want as much Spirit as you can physically get your hands on. If it doesn't have Spirit, you probably don't want it at your gear level. I highly recommend investing in the crafted dreadful gladiator set and picking up other crafted gear as you can. You can buy a spirit/Mastery OH from scribes/the AH, and you can get a 450 Spirit Mace from Arena of Annihilation quest you can pick up outside of the Temple of the White Tiger.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
You won't have any issue healing heroics. Start off focusing on just healing and then after you are comfortable anticipating incoming damage you can start mixing it up and DPSing. Until you are in a fair amount of 502s it's a good rule or thumb to ensure spirit is on every one of your pieces. If its not, reforge into it.

While you are starting out, you can just use ask mr robot. It's not always the best for more advanced raiding, but it will give you a good idea of your haste breakpoint.

For example, I used ask mr robot for most of last tier. In ToT, I found that, especially after getting horridon's last gasp and the legendary meta, I just had more mana than I knew what to do with. This is when getting some int or reforging out of some spirit can be helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm in the same spot as op and have went for as much spirit and haste as I can get. Now if I have to do disc what would take place of spirit/haste? Crit/mastery?
Edited by Yushua on 7/9/2013 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Shaman
If you're getting overwhelmed in heroics, don't forget you can practice in normals until you develop better instincts. In regards to how much spirit you need - as much as you feel comfortable with.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
^

Also don't hesitate to look for the free loot!
Examples: Pvping will get you 476 Ilvl loot -easy-, the stupid Barrens questing chain and stuff will not only get you 502 boots but future 489 armor! From there it is easy LFR's and pray for lucky drops besides tackling the Isles for Dailies and coins!

Depending on how hard you go with the PvP gearing, then jumping over to LFR's, you can hit 480 in two weeks easy!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Did you level shadow?

Don't take this personally, but those who seem best at their classes started and stayed with those builds.

I remember in BC where this was a frequent problem, especially with warrior tanks. People would level in arms or fury then switch to prot when they hit 70. They had no idea what they were doing after the swich-hello healing agro!

In my opinion, holy priests are the most difficult to play simply because of the wide variety of spells they have. Things have balanced out more, but I still think the holy priest takes the most experience to play really well. However, if that's what you really want to do then don't let me discourage you.

Having said all that, the other posters above are correct. Heroics now are a joke. It's been a while since BC was the happening thing, but I'd bet that a normal (i.e. non-heroic) level 70 dungeon in BC was tougher than the heroics in MoP.
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
A good rule of thumb is to get spirit on every piece of gear. If a piece does not have spirit, then reforge your worst stat to spirit. For Holy, that will probably be Mastery.

Once you feel comfortable healing, you can think about dropping spirit gear for throughput gear, or just reforge your spirit. I prefer having spirit on everything and reforging.

Holy will probably be easier for a new player just getting into heroics. Disc is easy to play in raids, but a new player might not have the confidence to know when to switch from atonement healing to direct healing.
Reply Quote
A good rule of thumb is to get spirit on every piece of gear. If a piece does not have spirit, then reforge your worst stat to spirit. For Holy, that will probably be Mastery.

Holy's worst stat is haste.

Disc's worst stat is also haste.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
You won't have any issue healing heroics. Start off focusing on just healing and then after you are comfortable anticipating incoming damage you can start mixing it up and DPSing. Until you are in a fair amount of 502s it's a good rule or thumb to ensure spirit is on every one of your pieces. If its not, reforge into it.

While you are starting out, you can just use ask mr robot. It's not always the best for more advanced raiding, but it will give you a good idea of your haste breakpoint.

For example, I used ask mr robot for most of last tier. In ToT, I found that, especially after getting horridon's last gasp and the legendary meta, I just had more mana than I knew what to do with. This is when getting some int or reforging out of some spirit can be helpful.

No. No no no. No. No. NO. NO NO NO NO NO. *stomps panda foot really hard*

*glares*

NO.

We do not send new players to Askmrrobot and say it will show them their haste breakpoints and whatnot. WE DO NOT DO THIS. ONLY JERKS DO THIS. DON'T BE A JERK.

If the OP is interested in Haste Breakpoints, there are stickies in the Priest forums, information on Howtopriest.com, and you can simply google, "Haste breakpoints" and find cards listing all of the relevant breakpoints and what they do.

07/12/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Venomheart

This is not true. Please don't spread such ignorance.

07/12/2013 07:17 PMPosted by Prattle

You reforge out of Crit, not Mastery. Mastery is one of a Holy Priest's best stats.
Edited by Tiriel on 7/12/2013 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest

Holy's worst stat is most definitely not Haste. The extra Renew/Lightspring ticks are delicious. It's only bad after hitting 4721. (+5% haste buff)

You can play around with crit and mastery, but in most situations (heavy Renew fights being the exception) Mastery will come out much better than crit and after you're good on haste and spirit, will be your best secondary.
Edited by Illu on 7/12/2013 7:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
What stats you prioritize are mostly irrelevant other than spirit until you get in to a higher level of content. Gear for it til you find yourself not ooming in whatever content you choose to do. For 5 mans in particular, don't get too caught up in what stats are on the gear. For now, you just want to find your pieces that don't have spirit, and reforge whichever stat is highest back in to spirit.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

Disc's worst stat is also haste.

... hardly
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Monks are bad mkay?
Reply Quote
22 Gnome Warrior
You reforge out of Crit, not Mastery. Mastery is one of a Holy Priest's best stats

You might want to distinguish among 5, 10 and 25 man environments and healing styles. Holy Mastery is certainly very valuable in 25 man progression raiding. For 5 and 10 man scenarios, I am not so sure it is any better than Crit where you might be making heavier use of Renew.

In any case, the essential advice to the OP is still stack spirit onto everything then back off as they become more comfortable healing. Running out of mana is, by far, the worst stat in the game. >grin<
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]