Can we go back to the days...

90 Human Warlock
Can we go back to the days when as a healer deciding to trinket the first hunter trap that doesn't get eaten wasn't the different between your teammate dying or not. The days when priests had mana burn and so did warlocks (sl/sl seasons). The days when PMR was viable. The days when a ret pally didnt have an instant 5 sec aoe blind cc and an instant 5 sec stun and insane offheals when you cc his disc/rdruid for days at a time while he runs around not dying, when enhance shamans didnt turn red and kill something in 3 globals, the days when ferals being on any target without being peeled for more than 5 seconds equals death, the days when 2s gave titles and matches ended depending on which team ran out of mana (when priests didnt have spectral guise and a 1 min mindbender but instead had mana burn), the days when 3s matches was not about ok all my 3 ccs are DR'd on the healer, who can get one more so we make sure this guys dies?

The days when resto druids were permanently treeform, the days when there was 1850 and 2200 weapons, the days when RBGs didnt exist, the days when switching from target to target in 3s was viable and was the most efficient way to win rather than "omg MOP is here, everyone has at least 3 defensives making them unkillable along with hybrid healing partners, we need to mongo this one person into the ground until he has 0 defensives then we win" The days when the opposite team having an enemy at 50% mattered and you could switch to him and kill him because every single class didn't have a reset button. The days when healers actually drank in 3s, the days when matches lasted more than the time it took a hunter team to scatter trap silence, blow readiness offensively, and scatter trap silence again.

The days when this game was good...it's become like a cheap alternative to wow, I feel like im playing the China version of wow, like pocket monsters instead of pokemon, like NFL 2k instead of madden 2000. Almost all of my friends since this game came out (what about 7 years ago) quit along the way till now, and ive managed to get a few of them back into it, only for them to hit level cap, grab full pvp gear and hear my RL disc priest friend who was a decent 2.1k in furious gladiator season scream "im silenced, now im web wrapped do i trinket?, now im scattered do i trinket?, now im trapped do i trinket? Now im hammered do i trinket?, now im blinded and so are both of u do i trinket?, now im stunned for 5 do i trinket? Now im feared for 7 do i trinket? Now im polied, i trinketed...o wait mages cast 2 polies in a row these days expecting trinket...Same thing for warlocks with fears... I'd rather die to a team because their damage is unhealable, rather than die because my healer is CC'd, end of story.
Edited by Dutchmastas on 7/8/2013 7:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Probably have some good points in here, but I just skimmed through the last paragraph and couldnt help laughing at the fact that so many people wont read this.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Probably have some good points in here, but I just skimmed through the last paragraph and couldnt help laughing at the fact that so many people wont read this.

My only point was to invite others to share how they feel about the aspects of the game i miss, and to share things I forgot, about when this game was good, when arenas didn't last 3 minutes max.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
pocket monsters instead of pokemon

pocket monsters is what pokemon is called in Japan.

Ignorant pig.

Also people were horrible back in the day. I knew a holy paladin that got 2.5k keyboard turning and clicking.
Edited by Suolis on 7/8/2013 8:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
More like you're angry because you have rose-tinted glasses of the past which was awful. Then you come up here like you know what you're talking about but really you are just ignorant. Ignorant hater who can compete in today's arena because you're awful so you want to go back to to the days everyone was bad so you have a chance.

Really kid get out.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Can we go back to the days when as a healer deciding to trinket the first hunter trap that doesn't get eaten wasn't the different between your teammate dying or not. The days when priests had mana burn and so did warlocks (sl/sl seasons). The days when PMR was viable. The days when a ret pally didnt have an instant 5 sec aoe blind cc and an instant 5 sec stun and insane offheals when you cc his disc/rdruid for days at a time while he runs around not dying, when enhance shamans didnt turn red and kill something in 3 globals, the days when ferals being on any target without being peeled for more than 5 seconds equals death, the days when 2s gave titles and matches ended depending on which team ran out of mana (when priests didnt have spectral guise and a 1 min mindbender but instead had mana burn), the days when 3s matches was not about ok all my 3 ccs are DR'd on the healer, who can get one more so we make sure this guys dies?

The days when resto druids were permanently treeform, the days when there was 1850 and 2200 weapons, the days when RBGs didnt exist, the days when switching from target to target in 3s was viable and was the most efficient way to win rather than "omg MOP is here, everyone has at least 3 defensives making them unkillable along with hybrid healing partners, we need to mongo this one person into the ground until he has 0 defensives then we win" The days when the opposite team having an enemy at 50% mattered and you could switch to him and kill him because every single class didn't have a reset button. The days when healers actually drank in 3s, the days when matches lasted more than the time it took a hunter team to scatter trap silence, blow readiness offensively, and scatter trap silence again.

The days when this game was good...it's become like a cheap alternative to wow, I feel like im playing the China version of wow, like pocket monsters instead of pokemon, like NFL 2k instead of madden 2000. Almost all of my friends since this game came out (what about 7 years ago) quit along the way till now, and ive managed to get a few of them back into it, only for them to hit level cap, grab full pvp gear and hear my RL disc priest friend who was a decent 2.1k in furious gladiator season scream "im silenced, now im web wrapped do i trinket?, now im scattered do i trinket?, now im trapped do i trinket? Now im hammered do i trinket?, now im blinded and so are both of u do i trinket?, now im stunned for 5 do i trinket? Now im feared for 7 do i trinket? Now im polied, i trinketed...o wait mages cast 2 polies in a row these days expecting trinket...Same thing for warlocks with fears... I'd rather die to a team because their damage is unhealable, rather than die because my healer is CC'd, end of story.
No... Lol. Clearly rose tinted glasses over here. 30 second games aren't fun, but neither are games that drag on for hours.

And why in the hell would you rather die to unhealable damage then cc??? Cc can be prevented while unheelable damage can't. Maybe ou should just play the PTR where people are dying in one global withought any cc. Sounds fun doesn't it?
Edited by Ricoswaze on 7/8/2013 9:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
I agree with some of what the original poster said but there is a bit to much nostalgia in the post.

Overall the #1 reason why WoW pvp isn't as good as it use to be is because of age. What I mean by that is every expansion they have had to add new "exciting" abilities and mechanics. Many of them have been overpowered.

We have gone from a few classes having CC to everyone having a bunch, and some classes can run their own non-DR CC chains. It's that bad...

We have gone from a few specs being based around burst, and some classes based around sustained, to classes that do so much damage that you can't even tell the difference between the two anymore.

Healing is probably the only thing that they have gotten right this expansion, but healing utility isn't balanced very well across the board. MW, Resto Shaman, and Holy Paladins really need major buffs, and disc need nerfs. Resto Druids are probably the most balanced of the healing specs right now.

Overall I am enjoying pvp but I don't have the same love for it as I use to because so much of the win/losses are based on who you queue against.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
07/08/2013 09:37 AMPosted by Khlause
And why in the hell would you rather die to unhealable damage then cc??? Cc can be prevented while unheelable damage can't. Maybe ou should just play the PTR where people are dying in one global withought any cc. Sounds fun doesn't it?

Actually you are wrong.

Damage in TBC was very much healable, but it did take work. You were not going to top some one off in a global, and you were not going to bring them low in one either.

The game was much slower pace, but I am a firm in my resolve that PVP in TBC was not more skilled or less skilled but a totally different skill set for players who enjoy arena; not those looking to maximize their points per hr.

The reason arena became so popular to begin with was TBC Arena, not only was it something new but it was a lot more fun than X-realm BG's.....

BG's in the vanilla era were fun because of the fact that they were VS people you knew and fought against regularly; this added something you just didn't get in X-realm BG.

Any how back to TBC arena; it was superior in the fact that games did last a long time, healing was not global this guy back to full, and damage was not global this guy down..

Games as you said took a while, but it was FUN, and that's the point the op is trying to make...... it was more fun.

ummm, bc took tons and tons and tons more skill than the game does today, back then 2s were the most populated bracket and liked bracket, you could not make a single mistake back then, or it would cost you game, everything came down to trinket, or getting that cc off at the perfect moment. You had to make use of what you had, and you did not have much compared to now.

These days I see fighting people who trinket 1st thing that hits them, use iceblock, bubble or some other ability to get out of 2nd, and half the classes have 2nd trinket on top of it, wasting all cds within 1st 2-3 minutes, and still winning the game.

Back in the day, the game would get down to the smallest detail, everything had to be perfect, back when dots took you out of stealth, where rogues actually had to make good use of it, and cloak didnt last forever.

Wrath was slightly better, but with bigger gaps, oh, and racials were even more broken back then, but if blizzard decided to keep it somewhere inbetween tbc and wrath, and balanace that game out more, we would have one of the best esport games, but blizzard decided to completely change everything around, make everything a lot more confusing, not to players, but them, they pretty much started from begining, something that needed some adjusting. Now blizzard is trying to fix what was wrong with wrath, like pve gear, op racials, etc, but everything else is just complete crap.

So yea, tbc, took a lot more skill, also I'm pretty sure, most r1s, did more games in a single season of tbc, than most people did by now, even if they played since tbc. There were tons of skilled players at top ratings, who are better than 99% of todays playerbase, even though most people sucked. Thats why there was such a huge gap between bad, average, good, and amazing players. Gap that is today gone, where only very few people, perform better than others, yet still struggle vs average players who counter comp them.

I still play the game, and I probably will, but it just isn't the same competitive game that it used to be, and probably never will.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Yes, BC was pretty nice if you were an SL/SL lock..., one of the few viable specs back then in pvp
Edited by Okris on 7/8/2013 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Yes, BC was pretty nice if you were an SL/SL lock..., one of the few viable specs back then in pvp
Hey man, i didn't want to go sl/sl but after 2.3 and the birth of the AR/prep rogue I could no longer run a UA build. ><
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
^ uhmmmmm that was not the entire expac, and while they are "Tanky" they were not the be all end all of PVP.

Rogues were great
Hunters were great
Warriors were great
Druids were great
Paladins were ok..
Priests were great
warlocks were great
Mages were great
Shamans were great

The only class that was kinda suck were pallys, the rest were actually very good.

Sure there were situations that lent them selves to some classes being better than others but only for those unique situations; then again when has this ever been un-true?

Well in fairness every class had a good viable spec in pvp. However each class only had one. All the specs with healers were balanced around healing in pvp with zero balancing done to their offensive dps spec.

Ret, Enh were pretty terrible. Elemental was beast in 5s because of hero, and being able to kill two people in the opener with Elemental Mastery, Nature's Swiftness, Chain Lightning lol.

Affliction was awful after season 1, and so were shadow priest. Dreamstate druids were ridiculous, and so were rogues with 4pc pve, glaives, and shadow step breaking snares/roots.

3v3 was pretty much RMP or WLD, and that's it.

The game had major balancing issues back then, and only seems better looking back because there just were not as many possible specs to cause problems like now. I often look back and wonder if 1 viable pvp spec per class was the right decision by Blizzard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]