Crushing Meters in LFR with Spirit Shell

I've noticed a few times in LFR, a priest will clobber everyone on the healing meters, and a huge chunk of that will be spirit shell.

Anyone know what they are doing specifically? I have a priest I'm gearing up and have been unable to replicate the feat.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Probably because most fights in LFR can practically be 1 healed

as the priest is absorbing a large portion of the incoming damage via SS
said priest will clobber everyone else

is my guess
Reply Quote
Press Spirit Shell. Spam PoH around.

LFR has too little damage, and much of it tends to be very predictable (e.g. Thunderstrikes in Lei Shen). If not Spirit Shell, then PW:Shield spam will work as well if they got the mana for it. Any Disc who has a brain can easily meter pad the bejeezus out of LFR meters; those who don't know what they are doing will look pretty awful (I'm looking at you, Disc priests who spam Flash Heal and OOM in the first minute of Horridon!).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
LFR has to be able to be prepared for lots of AFKs and bads. So people who are overly geared, competent or whatever could single handedly do a majority of the healing required.

Since Disc is a spec that gets its heals before anyone else gets a chance, if they are able to do a majority of the healing themselves there isn't going to be much more left for the other healers. The few scraps of heals that are left over will be fought over by the other healers.

This is all part of the reason while healing meters in LFR don't matter.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It's because there is crap for damage in LFR, so priests are padding the meters. Same with atonement yadda yadda.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It's because there is crap for damage in LFR, so priests are padding the meters. Same with atonement yadda yadda.

This.

Press Spirit Shell. Spam PoH around.

No no, it's "press Archangel, Power Infusion, then Spirit Shell and spam PoH around!"
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman

This basically. The more geared they are in relation to the content, the more they are going to be able to absorb the available healing. A geared, competent disc should "crush meters" in any content where the damage isn't very high, like an LFR or old tier raids.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
So, so very related:

http://imageshack.us/a/img152/1305/spiritshelltroll.jpg
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
So, so very related:

http://imageshack.us/a/img152/1305/spiritshelltroll.jpg

You're a terrible human being, Tails!
Reply Quote

You're going too easy on him, Tiriel. That's not like you
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/07/2013 01:35 AMPosted by Evry

You're going too easy on him, Tiriel. That's not like you

Look...look...I'm not myself, ok?

Why can't you ever cut me any slack, Evry?!
Reply Quote
Why can't you ever cut me any slack, Evry?!

It's not about you slacking, it's about Tailias carving out whole new depths of Hell. In the Hell for goats.

next he'll macro /cancelaura Prayer of Mending to everything.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
It's an old screenie, from when I was a healer in T14. "Healing" heroic content with 2-3 Disc Priests on every single boss was just awful.

Oh look, giant raid damage mechanic, let me prepare Holy Power for two Light of D... oh... damnit.

The current Spirit Shell is quite tame in comparison. Be grateful, non-absorb healers of Throne of Thunder, you can occasionally get heals in!

next he'll macro /cancelaura Prayer of Mending to everything.

Well... I'm not THAT discriminatory. If I'm gonna be a jerk, it'll be to any ol' class.

Proof: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8568957498?page=16#308 <-- (Have you ever watched a Monk channel Soothing Mists on you multiple times and just not understand why it's randomly being cut short? It's glorious)

But I mean, as far as things that are justified, there was nothing at all like Spirit Shell back in T14.

For the record, I have never actually cancelaura'd a heal or absorb during actual combat. It's just a downright hilarious concept that trolls my co-healers.
Edited by Tailias on 7/7/2013 1:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
2-3 heal LFR all week every week make the another 3-4 healers go DPS boom boss dies faster

cough openraid cough
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
It's an old screenie, from when I was a healer in T14. "Healing" heroic content with 2-3 Disc Priests on every single boss was just awful.

Oh look, giant raid damage mechanic, let me prepare Holy Power for two Light of D... oh... damnit.

Imagine being a healer in that raid with 0 absorbs, grumbling about the Disc priests AND you pallies. Fun times this xpac.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
As a new healer its interesting to hear that Spirit Shell is such an apparently good skill. I havent really healed anything but the 5 man normals while leveling and learning to play the class, but SShell always struck me as something I would only use if I knew big damage was incoming for the tank and I already had a PWS on him.

I honestly haven't used it all that often outside of that. Perhaps that will change as I learn to better utilize the class though.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
07/07/2013 09:03 PMPosted by Ciph
As a new healer its interesting to hear that Spirit Shell is such an apparently good skill. I havent really healed anything but the 5 man normals while leveling and learning to play the class, but SShell always struck me as something I would only use if I knew big damage was incoming for the tank and I already had a PWS on him.

That is, in fact, a cool way to use Spirit Shell. You can use Spirit Shell in whatever way you think is appropriate.

In raid settings, it's incredibly rare to have threatening single target damage. It's much more common to have threatening raid damage. That's why the most common use of Spirit Shell is to spam POH with it -- because that fits the typical damage profile better; and it's the most heals-per-cast-time you can get out of Spirit Shell. But if what you actually need is a huge single-target absorb, Spirit Shell will do that too.

Mind you, most 5-mans you don't really need to heal. In dungeons I use Spirit Shell to just ... mess around.
Edited by Dreamling on 7/7/2013 9:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
07/07/2013 09:25 PMPosted by Dreamling
In raid settings, it's incredibly rare to have threatening single target damage.

Well that's not always true (it's far less common, though, I agree).

The issue is more that threatening single-target damage is almost always going to occur on a tank, who's likely tanking something that's already hitting them. Spirit Shell has a buildup and in order to use it as an effective cooldown, you have to pre-place it. Having it being whittled away on that tank would largely defeat the purpose.

There are lots of great tank cooldowns that you'd probably want to rely on first - and that definitely includes Pain Suppression. Still though, there might be situations where that's a good use for Spirit Shell, and you're not wrong to be thinking that way.
Edited by Tailias on 7/7/2013 11:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I was in LFR recently. Everyone was near full health the entire fight. A disc priest with much lower ilvl blew me away in heals. The ONLY heal he used was atonement!

Another boss with heavy damage - I blew him away.

Which would you rather have in your raid?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In raid settings, it's incredibly rare to have threatening single target damage. It's much more common to have threatening raid damage.

Not saying you are wrong, because you aren't, but there are a couple excellent single target uses for SS this tier. Healing a non-stacked frostbite target on council, and initial tank healing on Hanimus, if you are 2tanking, are two that immediately come to mind
Edited by Mythrose on 7/8/2013 9:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]