LoL has given us an Australian-based server..

90 Human Hunter
..and it's a largely free game to play. And it has only been out since late 2009.

Wow, on the other hand, is backed by a MAJOR company and has been running for a much longer time (Since late 2004).

Blizzard, as an avid WoW player since it's release, you have disappointed myself and a large majority of Aussie players immensely.

The simple fact that League of Legends, a free-to-play game that hasn't been around that long can already appeal to a specific demographic (us Aussies) shows me just how far behind in the times Blizzard really is.

Yeah, I'll keep playing WoW...for a little while at least. Because my mates currently still do.

But don't expect people like ourselves to stick with the company when it's clearly evident newer companies with broader visions are actually giving us a break...and making buku $$$ from it. (That's right, they support us and we actually BUY their products?!!?! wow...who'd have thought...)

I shall overlook Blizzard as a company in the upcoming years. It's obvious there are far better competitors who are worth my cash.

Btw, Playing an online game on 15-25 Latency...man, for the first time ever... felt amazing.
...Glad I hadn't lost that virginity to a gaming-world "Fat Chick" like Blizz...
Edited by Cantsnipe on 7/4/2013 4:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
League of legends needs to try harder to win support. Blizzard do not.

If you want Blizzard to build servers in Australia then start rooting your missus. A lot. Have 50 babies and tell all your friends and their friends to as well. Then do this for the next 3 generations.

After THAT, we might have a population increase sufficient to warrant the installation of a locally based server in Australia that blizzard would have to maintain and update with a locally-based IT resource.

Do you need me to connect anymore dots for you?
Reply Quote
95 Undead Warlock
Over half a million people play on the oceanic servers.
We might not have as much as the main American servers or the EU servers, but we are a significant portion of the subscriber base.

Here's another dot for you to connect: We matter too.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
Australian WoW player = No rights, not even a single thought from Blizzard
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
League of Legends

It isn't even the same type of game as WoW? Wow's play style is totally different.

Comparing LoL to WoW is like comparing cheese to ice cream. Both food, both from the same MMO animal, but different products with different tastes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
08/01/2013 03:25 AMPosted by Spicycitrus
League of Legends

It isn't even the same type of game as WoW? Wow's play style is totally different.

Comparing LoL to WoW is like comparing cheese to ice cream. Both food, both from the same MMO animal, but different products with different tastes.

Thanks for that irrelevant pile of nonsense, my friend. The type of game has less than nothing to do with it. They both require quick response times to play at the highest level, they're both affected by latency, and they both have the potential for necessary maintenance at set times.

LoL chooses to pay for Oceanic servers, with Oceanic times, ping, support. Blizzard chooses to not pay for Oceanic servers, with non Oceanic times, ping and support.

To put it into further glaring perspective, Warhammer Online, yes, that failed attempt at an MMO, even had Oceanic servers.

It's simple greed. They simply presume that we'll fork over our $15/m regardless - why should they put the time and money into providing us with improved services? It'd just be tipping money down the drain right?

Wrong. As the OP says, customer loyalty is earned, not taken for granted, by the smartest companies. Treat them well and they'll stay. Treat them with contempt and/or apathy, and they'll jump ship whenever and wherever they please.

Simple as that.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid

If you want Blizzard to build servers in Australia then start rooting your missus. A lot. Have 50 babies and tell all your friends and their friends to as well. Then do this for the next 3 generations.

Using this maintenance as opportunity to start working on this plan. WE WILL SUCCEED!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Aust dosnt have the infrastructure needed to run the servers WoW needs effectively and at a financially acceptable price, Singapore is the closest place we could expect them
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
lol guys don't even bother posting, they wont look here, they dont care, end of story.

Once my subscription runs out they've lost me and my family.

Poor choices - who the hell is running your company blizzard?
Reply Quote
82 Night Elf Death Knight
This issue has been going on for Years its makes me sad to think about all the australians players over the years

That have sat at 2k mmr in arena when they deserve to be 2200

And all the 2400 aussies that have had glad robbed from them because the teams crushing them have 30 ms compared to their 240.

The difference to the reaction times of player with 200ms is unparalleled compared to a player using 30 ms.

less that half a second in a game as mechanically advanced as Wow is the difference between winning and losing.

FIND new Games guys blizzards Been cosumed by their own greed, they ignore Us while we feed them money play their games with passion introduce there games to our own children

still in 2013 patch 5.4 Aussies Will Yet again compete on the ladders with a 200+ ping differentiation.

Wake Up blizzard Move into the future find a way to do what should be done give us a chance to experience the game that brought you the fortune you poses.

Wow is far from dead blizzard and a server located in aust will only improve numbers.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
They simply presume that we'll fork over our $15/m regardless - why should they put the time and money into providing us with improved services

And you all do, so answer the question you posed yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Aust dosnt have the infrastructure needed to run the servers WoW needs effectively and at a financially acceptable price, Singapore is the closest place we could expect them

If we dont have the infrastructure..what are Riot Games and Valve and Activision using?

Carrier pigeons?
Edited by Mirisanelle on 9/13/2013 7:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
id be willing to chip in another few $ a month for oceanic datacentres/servers, and im sure i am not the only one.

09/13/2013 07:33 AMPosted by Mirisanelle

If we dont have the infrastructure..what are Riot Games and Valve and Activision using?

Carrier pigeons?

Well, I'd probably get a better ping that way, sometimes...
Edited by Voiddragon on 9/15/2013 12:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This issue has been going on for Years its makes me sad to think about all the australians players over the years

That have sat at 2k mmr in arena when they deserve to be 2200

And all the 2400 aussies that have had glad robbed from them because the teams crushing them have 30 ms compared to their 240.

Thanks for the laugh haha you realize Australian players are going to blizzcon and several of them get rank 1 every season right?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Why did someone report this post?

Also, most aussies on the east coast get 170 ping. I'm sure people with fibre optics get a lot better.

LoL's oceanic servers are amazing, from 171 ping to 25 ping.

To people who say, why do you still pay them money if you get bad support. A lot of people in Australia quit WoW, they don't come onto the forums to announce it though, they just quit.

A oceanic based server would bring a lot of players back. We only have LoL or FPS games to play at the moment if we want decent ping.

There is no half decent MMO out there with oceanic servers, and if another upcoming MMO introduces them (wildstar or elder scrolls online), then they will rip the 500,000 oceanic players away from WoW. Even if these two games arn't even as good as WOW, the majority will flock there.
Edited by Sahv on 9/17/2013 6:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm not sure if you realise this or not OP but Blizzard did try and implement servers based here in Australia. Unfortunately Telstra told Blizzard that they would have to pay an absolutely absurd amount.

However Internode did offer to host the servers with no charge, It's Telstra who own the cables. So that apparently sparked some problems.

Either way it's Telstra you should be having a go at not Blizzard. Infact you should be giving Blizzard points for even trying to implement servers here. Most companies of this stature would tell you to deal with it and never even try to implement servers here.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I'm not sure if you realise this or not OP but Blizzard did try and implement servers based here in Australia. Unfortunately Telstra told Blizzard that they would have to pay an absolutely absurd amount.

However Internode did offer to host the servers with no charge, It's Telstra who own the cables. So that apparently sparked some problems.

Either way it's Telstra you should be having a go at not Blizzard. Infact you should be giving Blizzard points for even trying to implement servers here. Most companies of this stature would tell you to deal with it and never even try to implement servers here.

When will people get off this broken record!? seriously!

The more people use this out of date excuse, the more creed Bobby Kotick/Activison Blizzard have to use this as an excuse as to why we cant have Aussie based servers!

Telstra own the lines, telstra dont own the servers,staff,support that Internode were willing to put forward, Simon Hackett, at the time, bent over backwards, to get servers here, but even he said( a millionaire Business man in his own right) Blizzard are their own Beast!

I have played this since 04, I have lost so many mates online and real life from this game due to always being a minimum 1 sec behind on instant casts, I have held onto the fact Blizzard always come out and say, "we are always looking at the oceanic server situation" which as im finding out now is just another way of saying "yes keep paying your money and you never know what might happen!"

I love this game, but after the release of 5.4, and my hunter being nerfed to high heaven, think its time for me to pull the pin, I cant kill a bloody thing,my hunter through most of the patches has at least been viable with my 200ms ping my other 7 90s, are melee or casters, and i have no chance against someone with a 30ms ping.

I dont play any other games to compare to this, but I have played wow with a 30ms ping, and anyone who says 180ms + dont make much difference in PVP, is on some serious drugs!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Totally agree, I just gave up trying to improve my connection:

http://www.softblogger.net/2013/04/how-to-boost-ping.html
http://www.smoothping.com/

I month left of my prepaid time, then bye wow.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
It isn't as "free" as it suggests. Sure, you can play the game for free if you want; not many people do though. Because it is "free" people are more willing to throw a bit of cash at it every now and again for skins/boosts/whatever. They can justify it more then paying for a sub, and paying for cosmetic items. And trust me, a lot of people spend well over $15 a month on it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]