Tips for Pally Healing

58 Worgen Death Knight
My main questions...

I was wondering if someone had some tips for pally healing, esp when raid damage is high. I just started healing with my pally about a month ago and our guild is 11/12 in ToT atm.

I know holy radiance and light of dawn are good but I tend to want to spam them out of habit I guess.

Also... how can I make the most use of Eternal Flame...well... until they change it next patch.
Edited by Serenety on 7/11/2013 3:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
How are monks not efficient raid healers exactly?
Reply Quote
monks not being the most efficient raid healers IMHO?

Wat.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
If you are asking specifically for burst AoE healing stacked phases, then you want to use HR x 2 + Holy Shock to get the most out of Daybreak. And don't forget to drop Light's Hammer. (Holy Prism is better for spread fights).

Light of Dawn is rather weak, so spamming it is generally a bad idea. As for EF blanketing-- right before the AoE damage starts occurring, drop 1 HoPo EFs on as much as the raid as possible.

If you use Holy Avenger, use it about 2-3 seconds before the AoE damage starts so that you can drop full 3 HoPo EFs on as much as the raid as possible.

Then HR x 2 + Holy Shock is your friend when the damage gets to be too much to allow dropping EFs to do as much healing as you need.

Don't forget about using cds like Avenging Wrath, Divine Favor, and Guardian either.

That's the basics, really, but it's important to remember to be flexible when you're healing because sometimes you might need to use LoD or single target heals. It just depends. That's why healing is considered a dynamic role.

Note: You should be dropping 1 HoPo EFs on as much as the raid as possible even w/o any inc damage for mastery shields. And Infusion of Light is best used with HR unless you need the single target heal of DL.
Edited by Kyáza on 7/4/2013 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
58 Worgen Death Knight
Note: You should be dropping 1 HoPo EFs on as much as the raid as possible even w/o any inc damage for mastery shields. And Infusion of Light is best used with HR unless you need the single target heal of DL.

Hrm.... I always wondered about that. So it is worth it to blanket the raid with Eternal Flame even if it's just with one holy power?

I am getting completely overpowered in our 10m raids on my pally so I am trying to figure out the problems. >.< It is most frustrating! (Our heals setup is holy pally, disc priest and monk)

Edit: Also.... what do you guys recommend as far as builds? Should I do a haste, crit or mastery build? I am mastery atm.
Edited by Serenety on 7/9/2013 9:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
46 Undead Monk
Post on your paly for specific help.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Shouldn't be three healing much on normal or heroic to be honest. With a disc and mw'er it will make it even worse.

Get a ret set.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also.... what do you guys recommend as far as builds? Should I do a haste, crit or mastery build? I am mastery atm.
IMO of course; hands down to mastery as it is the only dependable and multi-functioning stat between crit, haste, and mastery. Crit is all luck and should never be depended on, even if holy shock has a great crit chance... and Haste is just a waste of mana as you cast faster but I feel you wouldn't give yourself enough time to regen' mana... besides, even on Red/Green Megara I have never had a problem with healing slow.

07/09/2013 09:12 PMPosted by Serenety
I am getting completely overpowered in our 10m raids on my pally
Overpowered by raid damage or the other healers? Monks and Disc Priest can -easily- get to a heal faster than a Paladin sadly just due to the nature of their healing (Monks hots and auto heals or Revival, and Disc's spirit shells being stronger absorbs than Paly's mastery). I have to be aggressive with overheals to top those two healers usually... and that is just being sloppy.

if you are being overpowered by raid damage... then I am sorry to announce that your raid just sucks and they need to learn how not to stand in this thing called fire or other spell effects like double swipe. You will have to check on your recount/skada or even WoL (world of logs) to see who is taking what damage.

Post on your paly for specific help.

^ Please for your own good as most problems with healing come from gear itemization and the wrong talents for certain fights. You could be doing a Crit build but have horrible RNG, using Light's hammer on Ji'kun when no one stacks for Quills, stuck with Spirit trinkets and a 483 weapon.... which I did for a week before I cursed the great divine as I had all the mana in the world but my HPS wouldn't go up higher than 45k... ALOTTA Possiblities XD! So Hook us up so we can do the same for you.

Get a ret set.
O_O Don't you go full -ret-ard... Never, go full -ret-ard.

That is all.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin

I was wondering if someone had some tips for pally healing, esp when raid damage is high. I just started healing with my pally about a month ago and our guild is 11/12 in ToT atm.

I know holy radiance and light of dawn are good but I tend to want to spam them out of habit I guess.

Is there a particular fight you are referring to? There are some fights that are just better for your co-healer's classes, which is fine. It also could be an issue of too many healers on an encounter. Logs would really help determine this as well as seeing your paladin and co-healer's gear.

For me, AoE depends completely on the fight. For example:

On Tortos I will EF everyone and run Holy Prism which I will bounce off the boss after every Stomp. Maybe a Light of Dawn here or there, but do to the constant movement I mostly stick with EF.

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2rlui84snc6gbp0o/analyze/hd/source/?s=10876&e=11106

*As you can see a disc priest who times their Spirit Shells well is going to do really well that fight... Monks also do really well this fight. If this is one of the AoE fights that you are concerned about, I really doubt so much that it is you but more so how well the fight is setup for you co-healers

However, on Megaera I will EF and focus the tank for non-Rampage damage, but when we go to stack I'll Drop Light's Hammer and HR - HR - HS - LoD Spam (sometimes weaving in more HS or LoD depending on my mana towards the end of the fight).

Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2rlui84snc6gbp0o/analyze/hd/source/?s=11616&e=11984

Also... how can I make the most use of Eternal Flame...well... until they change it next patch.

ETERNAL FLAME ALL THE THINGS

I try to keep a 3 HoPow EF on the tanks and myself then a 1 HoPow EF on everybody else. Then I just Beacon swap between the tanks as need.

Here are a couple of recent logs of fights where I was able to keep up EF on most of the raid for most of the fight:

HM Jin'Rokh: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2rlui84snc6gbp0o/analyze/hd/source/?s=3227&e=3505

NM (2 Healing) Horridon: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/2rlui84snc6gbp0o/analyze/hd/source/?s=8817&e=9297

Now these are just things that I find work for me. I'm sure there are other paladins who do things in a way that might be more efficient and better suited to your play style. :]
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
ETERNAL FLAME ALL THE THINGS

Dis i like, Durumu is also another great fight for Eternal Flame on Lightspectrum phase.
Reply Quote
Making the most of EF starts with using it on yourself since it's a 2x heal on you and the tank of course. You'll get pretty much the effect on you being beaconed to the tank with the same amount healed as the EF HoT on the tank. After that in regards to raiding a lot of fights are situational.

There are some raids where Holy Prism works very well and a lot of raids where Light's Hammer works well. Granted, a lot of people are obsessed with meters, but getting up on meters is not necessarily the best thing for the raid.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]