If I shouldn't use Askmrrobot, then what?

90 Pandaren Priest
Is there another gear optimizer that I can just plug my gear into and be told what to change?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Jozzak, I'm going to cut you.

Yes.

There is an addon called ReforgeLite which operates in-game. You plug in the breakpoints you are trying to hit, and it automatically reforges everything to get you to where you want to be. The only things it won't do is recommend different gear and different gems/enchants for you - you have to know what you need yourself.

If you're looking to get different gems and enchants recommended to you, you can use Askmrrobot by plugging in what you know to be the correct breakpoints you want to hit.

If you have questions about ReforgeLite, Mikey uses it if I'm not mistaken, and so does Pawko. And I'm around occasionally. If you're on Mikey's facebook, he's got me on there. :-P
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Jozzak, I'm going to cut you.

Yes.

There is an addon called ReforgeLite which operates in-game. You plug in the breakpoints you are trying to hit, and it automatically reforges everything to get you to where you want to be. The only things it won't do is recommend different gear and different gems/enchants for you - you have to know what you need yourself.

If you're looking to get different gems and enchants recommended to you, you can use Askmrrobot by plugging in what you know to be the correct breakpoints you want to hit.

If you have questions about ReforgeLite, Mikey uses it if I'm not mistaken, and so does Pawko. And I'm around occasionally. If you're on Mikey's facebook, he's got me on there. :-P

Reforgelite seems to hate me, I try to get to the 16.65% haste cap on my MW and it sticks me at 4%. There is a chance it could be a UI bug though as my chi burst tries to convince me it does 1.6k damage as well as CJL and tiger palm being horrendously inaccurate.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Reforgelite seems to hate me, I try to get to the 16.65% haste cap on my MW and it sticks me at 4%. There is a chance it could be a UI bug though as my chi burst tries to convince me it does 1.6k damage as well as CJL and tiger palm being horrendously inaccurate.

You need to know the exact number for 16.65% Haste breakpoint (that's 3145). You also need to make sure you are in Stance of the Fierce Tiger, not stance of the Wise Serpent, while you do the reforging.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
07/05/2013 10:54 AMPosted by Tiriel

You need to know the exact number for 16.65% Haste breakpoint (that's 3145). You also need to make sure you are in Stance of the Fierce Tiger, not stance of the Wise Serpent, while you do the reforging.

Also I had an issue with this for the longest time. Then I realized I'm actually a moron and forgot to hit enter on my haste breakpoints. Make sure after you enter a custom number you hit enter to confirm it. Just clicking off keeps the old number.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My main problem with the reforging addons or websites is, they couldn't "leave my spirit alone, and reforge others to haste point X".

Maybe I was doing something wrong. If I gave Spirit a higher weight, it would reforge my non-spirit pieces into Spirit, which I don't need; if I gave Spirit a lesser weight, it would reforge Spirit into Haste. It just can't leave Spirit untouched.

So I have been using the askmrrobot website manually.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
My main problem with the reforging addons or websites is, they couldn't "leave my spirit alone, and reforge others to haste point X".

Maybe I was doing something wrong. If I gave Spirit a higher weight, it would reforge my non-spirit pieces into Spirit, which I don't need; if I gave Spirit a lesser weight, it would reforge Spirit into Haste. It just can't leave Spirit untouched.

So I have been using the askmrrobot website manually.

Well, you do have to set any reforging tool to the right amount of Spirit, as it were. With ReforgeLite, I have it set so there is no limit to the amount of Spirit I'm looking for.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
There is nothing wrong with using Mr.Robot. It's a great tool for those who know their class and what they are after in terms of reforging.

If you don't know what your own stats are to begin with, then perhaps you should figure that out first.

With Mr Robot - I always change the default stat weights and it allows me to do so. I can set a caps on spirit or not. I can set whatever haste break-point I desire. This will change gear/gems relative to those stats.

Reforge-Lite allows for reforging in-game. That's it. On the fly with a traveling mount. But it isn't even in the same league as Mr.Robot. I take that back, it isn't the same kind of tool . All the arguments against Robot fall into -

Default Stat weights are wrong
BiS/Gear/Trinkets items are wrong

Once you set your own weights the supposed problems go away. If you're only using Robot as a Reforge tool then ignore the suggested gear selection.

Again, if you don't even have an iota about your class, your own stat weights and why then perhaps the problem lies with you and not the web page.
Edited by Trollmendous on 7/5/2013 12:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
07/05/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Trollmendous
If you don't know what your own stats are to begin with, then perhaps you should figure that out first.

Actually, you absolutely should know what stats you are going for to begin with, regardless of the tool you using. This goes for Askmrrobot, and anything else.

And in my experience, there's nothing wrong with the default stat weights in ReforgeLite, but they may not be the particular breakpoint you are looking for. I simply find it to be a quick, easy-to-understand and configure way of making sure you hit the correct breakpoints. I like it better than Askmrrobot for a couple of reasons, not in the least that when you initially pull the interface open, it doesn't already have stat weights filled in for you, as if somehow they're the "only correct and true stats" that you should be going for. :-P
Reply Quote
07/05/2013 12:08 PMPosted by Trollmendous
There is nothing wrong with using Mr.Robot. It's a great tool

Remember: It is not the tools we use which make us good, but rather how we employ them; only a poor carpenter blames his tools.

Most people don't like Mr Robot because all the defaults make sweeping generalizations; which, as a mass-used tool, he must. Once you learn how to tweak him to your needs, he become a very powerful tool indeed. Also, most people get discouraged once they start playing with all his settings; mostly because there's about a bajillion settings, breakpoints, radio buttons, weight boxes, etc.
Reply Quote
AskMrRobot is fine if you want to use it for gems with your own weights, I guess. Generally gems aren't that hard to figure out though (sometimes I need to use a haste gem instead of mastery on my poor undergeared warlock). BIS lists I make or find ahead of time. SimCraft gives me weights for gear level. The value of reforgeLite is being able to pop out the mount and click->click->click->pull. Gems from gbank, enchants from enchanter. Quickly get gear upgrades ready between bosses. Or even switching between holy/disc is pretty fast with automatic reforging for different spirit levels, haste, etc.

People deride AMR because it gets pushed as the final word on gemming/reforging to new players that don't have any idea about how to value AMR's output or how to customize it.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid

Actually, you absolutely should know what stats you are going for to begin with, regardless of the tool you using. This goes for Askmrrobot, and anything else.

And in my experience, there's nothing wrong with the default stat weights in ReforgeLite, but they may not be the particular breakpoint you are looking for. I simply find it to be a quick, easy-to-understand and configure way of making sure you hit the correct breakpoints. I like it better than Askmrrobot for a couple of reasons, not in the least that when you initially pull the interface open, it doesn't already have stat weights filled in for you, as if somehow they're the "only correct and true stats" that you should be going for. :-P

But once you fill in your own stat weights it keeps your set stat weights. It literally takes 20 seconds to set this. I call this the lazy man's/woman's argument against Robot lol.

You just stated
in ReforgeLite, but they may not be the particular breakpoint you are looking for.

So you will change this at times too right?

But let's go back to the argument against Mr Robot. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Rdruid default stat weights currently. But the issue is and will always be - are those stat weights what everyone agrees on? Obviously not. The spirit issue will always be controversial because it is mainly based upon personal gear level, raid comp, 2 heal vs 3, 25m Vs 10m and heavy mastery builds over spirit builds. And is exactly why AMR allows us to set our own numbers.

Once someone sets their desired stat weights the gear/gems/enchants suggested are in fact correct for those weights. You won't have to go and set the weights again. It saves what you put in there for your toon.

As for knowing your own stats - well of course everyone should know them but as we know many people don't. But once you do, Mr Robot is a fantastic tool.
Edited by Trollmendous on 7/5/2013 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
People deride AMR because it gets pushed as the final word on gemming/reforging to new players that don't have any idea about how to value AMR's output or how to customize it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
AMR is a powerful tool, when used properly :P I hate when people recommend it and other websites to "help" people, without ever giving them further information. I used AMR a little in the past, but haven't used it that much lately unless someone has questions about it.

I use reforgelite on all toons (specifically my disc priest which I raid on and this toon which I pvp on) to hit certain breakpoints etc, I just edit it accordingly. Reforging is one thing I realllyyy hate doing. Gemming I handle on my own. I like knowing why x is better than y, then just simply doing it and try to help others with that too :3
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
us rogues have the best reforging website/addon :P

gg shadowcraft and the rogue community
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I don't use anything to decide my gear.

I figure that out on my own with research, a pen, and some paper.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I hang out on the new player forum a little and I recommend AMR quite a bit. It's one size fits all out of the box which is annoying for people who are aiming for very specific things (break points, etc) and who already understand their class and playstyle really well, but for players who are very often uncertain about what their primary stat is, it's actually useful.

Personally I like it. Not because I take its recommendations as gospel but because I can use it to play around with different gear combinations that might be available to me (upgrades, valor purchases, gemming, etc) and see what they do to my stats.

I also like it for my dps toons which I don't take that seriously and so I don't invest as much time in understanding what they need and why in terms of stats. It's a nice quick way for me to get my dps toons into a rough equivalent of good shape (hit capped etc). As I only really take them into 5 mans, this is fine for me.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I hang out on the new player forum a little and I recommend AMR quite a bit. It's one size fits all out of the box which is annoying for people who are aiming for very specific things (break points, etc) and who already understand their class and playstyle really well, but for players who are very often uncertain about what their primary stat is, it's actually useful.

Personally I like it. Not because I take its recommendations as gospel but because I can use it to play around with different gear combinations that might be available to me (upgrades, valor purchases, gemming, etc) and see what they do to my stats.

I also like it for my dps toons which I don't take that seriously and so I don't invest as much time in understanding what they need and why in terms of stats. It's a nice quick way for me to get my dps toons into a rough equivalent of good shape (hit capped etc). As I only really take them into 5 mans, this is fine for me.

Sending a new player to AMR without giving them the knowledge to understand what they're seeing, and how it affects them, is honestly doing more harm than good. Especially when it's a healer.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Really it's not. We're talking about people who don't know they should be wearing Intellect gear let alone anything else. AMR and Icy Veins and Noxxic are designed to help those people.

You'll be pleased to know that I also send them to the Healing forum for advice on how to heal as well as the various class forums for more in depth information.
Reply Quote
Really it's not. We're talking about people who don't know they should be wearing Intellect gear let alone anything else. AMR and Icy Veins and Noxxic are designed to help those people.

You'll be pleased to know that I also send them to the Healing forum for advice on how to heal as well as the various class forums for more in depth information.

Should at least tell them not to use the default settings, and that stacking spirit endlessly isn't the way to go.

Askmrrobot is recommending that I should heal with 17k spirit.
Edited by Venomheart on 7/5/2013 9:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]