I want to be a better Mistweaver

90 Pandaren Monk
I leveled my monk towards the beginning of the xpac but put her on the shelf because I'm too in love with my main. Recently I've been playing my monk a lot more (mostly because my main is out of bag space on transmog runs) and I've gotten a bit curious as to if I'm doing it right.

I did a quick run on Iron Qon LFR so I could give you an idea of how I play(and because I wanted to coin the offhand :( I got gold):

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/1ityv10cmkpp78ws/details/1/?s=4&e=428

My RL says, if I don't completely suck he might take me to normal modes. So. Any advice?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Gems and enchants.

Go run some HoF/ToES, either heroic (if guild run) or normal, as well as Oon/Nalak.
Edited by Lackjester on 7/7/2013 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Im a new mistweaver myself so I don't have a ton of advice to offer, but it looks like you have too much haste. After 3145 haste it loses it's value greatly unless you can reach 6141 (those values are with the 5% haste buff however).
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
Your log is from LFR, LFR and normal mode has big diff. LFR can heal thru most damage, but normal mode need strict and well raid awareness. One can be good in LFR, not really good in normal mode.

MW MUST be GOOD in AOE healing (spread and stacked):
Priority of healing skills: RM on CD > Expel harm on CD > uplift > SM.

Macro TFT and Uplift:
/cast Thunder Focus Tea
/cast Uplift

Before 8 sec of big AOE damage happen, when at least 5 ppl have the RM buff, when RM CD only 3 sec or less, get 3 chi and hit the macro to refresh the RM buff. Then cast RM on ppl don have RM buff. Thus, RM will spread to 10m at least.

Effectively use the macro will help AOE healing A LOT.

NEVER spam SCK to do AOE healing. It heal too little. Our main AOE healing ALWAYS RM+TFT+UPLIFT. SCK only in stacked situation to gain 2 chi for uplift.

Glyph RM and mana tea, cast mana tea when have 2 stack or more and mana < 80%.

During stacked situation, priority:
RM on CD > Expel harm on CD > uplift > CT x 3 > Chi Burst > SCK (gain chi).

Dump chi with EM on tanks or ppl need big heal.

Revival only when it REALLY needed, don waste it, it save the whole raid in emergency.
Edited by Xingling on 7/8/2013 12:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

This is where I was really curious. One of my guildies told me to RJW + SCK for stacked fights like Meg. I tried it in LFR earlier but it felt really weak.

Should I always take Chi Burst for stacked fights? Or is Chi Wave acceptable in some? I'm not really sure as I've had some ppl tell me it doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Okay so let's start.

First off get yourself gems and enchants.
Helm: depending on mana you might want to switch your meta to revitalizing from burning.
Bracer: Preferably get the int enchant, but if you're cheap there is a mastery one.
Gloves: There are both haste and mastery to gloves. If you feel you need more spirit you can gem spirit in this socket
Waist: Belt buckle. See above comment on gems.

Theoretically you could pick up the 5376 haste breakpoint for an additional tick on Enveloping Mist, but that's purely preference based on how much tank healing you have to do in your raid group. The standard bpoint for you to gear for is 3145 haste rating.

MW healing is pretty simple to be honest.

Renewing Mist on CD. Get something to track how many you have out on your raid along with the time left on your lowest duration Renewing Mist.

I'm going to assume you understand the interaction between TFT. Prior to major burst you should TFT into Uplift ~8-10s before. I tend to try to keep good habits and do it right before my first ReM falls off 2-3 seconds after use ReM on cd, because well it allows you to have a better REM spread.

During AoE spike damage to the raid you should have TFT + full ReM spread on the raid, maximium chi before the AoE damage occurs for uplift spam.

Talents that affect our healing are the L30 talents, L45 talents, and level 90 talents.

L30 talent: Most MWs take Chi Burst for two reasons, one it can allow for massive burst healing on a stacked raid group, and two it can be used as a triage heal if the tank's health is dropping or a dps's health is dropping. The other option is Chi Wave which obviously pumps out solid healing, but it's not a doesn't output as strong of a heal in the short period of time that chi burst does, and doesn't have the raid healing potential chi burst has. Both are theoretically viable, but imho you should pretty much always take Chi Burst.

L45 talent: Power Strikes generates the most chi if I remember correctly, but it has a semi random nature. Ascension theoretically is a decent talent if you're fistweaving a ton and/or need a the extra mana generated by the increased health pool via mana tea. Most Mistweavers take Chi Brew because it allows us instant chi on demand for burst Aoe Healing, and is actually getting buffed come 5.4 or at least appears to be so on the current iteration of the PTR.

L90: This is pretty much up in the air Chi Torpedo > Xuen assuming you can utlize Chi Torpedo on the encounter well. Otherwise Xuen is probably the better choice, due to the eminence healing he can put out. I don't have the math on these talents, but you will essentially never see a mw taking RJW due to the strength of Chi Torpedo and Xuen.

Glyph RM and mana tea, cast mana tea when have 2 stack or more and mana < 80%.

^ the above is actually correct outside of it not accounting for Chi Brew when you run out of chi or need the on demand burst. Xingling is also correct about SCK mainly only being used to generate chi.

Revival has the potential to be an emergency heal, and should be used to deal with massive raid damage.

Myself, Mist, and Suplift are always around, and are always up for a good discussion on MW and/or helping others not be bad. I can't tell you the number of stories I hear about bad MW trials for top end guilds that I have friends in. You can typically find us either in game, in the IRC, or the OT thread.
Edited by Bloöm on 7/8/2013 9:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
On a side note, for those of you who need mw haste breakpoints. http://www.temerityofwindrunner.com/mistweaver/calc.html should be yoru best friend.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
On a side note, for those of you who need mw haste breakpoints. http://www.temerityofwindrunner.com/mistweaver/calc.html should be yoru best friend.

So I'm sitting in game and I'm looking at 7500+ haste, which I'll obviously be reforging out of some of it. My question is how viable is the 6141 breakpoint?

Also, I have no idea what to gem for. Everyone I've asked has said haste and spirit. But I don't need spirit and now I'm over haste. So should I just go Crit?

07/08/2013 09:37 AMPosted by Bloöm
Renewing Mist on CD. Get something to track how many you have out on your raid along with the time left on your lowest duration Renewing Mist.

This is the issue I'm actually trying to figure out how to fix. Right now I'm just eyeballing things on my Vuhdo because I can't figure out how to track it with weakauras outside of layering.
Edited by Miyü on 7/8/2013 10:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
So I'm sitting in game and I'm looking at 7500+ haste, which I'll obviously be reforging out of some of it. My question is how viable is the 6141 breakpoint?

Make sure you are in the correct stance when are comparing your haste value to the break point you are attempting to get. For instance 6141 is what you need in stance of the fierce tiger, so make sure you are not in wise serpent when you are looking at 7500+.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Monk

100% go for the 6141 if you can go for it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
This is the issue I'm actually trying to figure out how to fix. Right now I'm just eyeballing things on my Vuhdo because I can't figure out how to track it with weakauras outside of layering.

Um I raid tonight at 9:30 pop on to Korgath Alliance side around then and I'll give you a weak aura string to track renewing mists with.

also

100% go for the 6141 if you can go for it.

Assuming you're not in Serpent Stance when looking at your haste.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Make sure you are in the correct stance when are comparing your haste value to the break point you are attempting to get. For instance 6141 is what you need in stance of the fierce tiger, so make sure you are not in wise serpent when you are looking at 7500+.

Ok. This makes much more sense. I was a bit confused as I was so far over the cap in my crap gear. I was not aware that the breakpoints applied to tiger stance. I thought they were including the serpent buff. I'll check my numbers again when I get back on.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Found the weak aura string you were talking about. Figured I'd post it in case someone was looking later on.

http://pastebin.com/XF85gaza

dCuToaGiIkxIOGgfvLofvfVIOqMfP4wqrSlOWWGQCmqvlJOOEguuvtJQkUgLeBJsv6BuQQXrvLY5OK06ikqZJOiUhuAFqrfheQQfsvvEivv1eHIYfjksBekQ0hPufNKOQvIKxsuOUjIStsKFsukdfkslfu5PezQKWvjkXxPumxIsAVu8xOYGvhgPwmLu9yqzYK0LHSze1NPuz0uItt41usz2KQBtv2nk)gKHtkTCQ8CunDGRJW2jkvFNQkz8ukDEsuRhkQY7jkG7tvLQ9lBG3OWi5zKunsQgfgjyq6qoJcJs(XG5AF8KzRyVWBf4Tx8SQvTQvX8TVHmMyf)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)GxRcfv3D3D3D3ToemA9gNMgNMgNMgNMgNMwLWrdeqmnnYwTchnqaXui8qAAcMa4FAoa500400400CTiDD5vBSTSWea8jC0(kNwDALro5000(ev3D3D3D3TGCZ1I01LxTPzQnxlsxxE1gl2goejbhWLxTbwqSO6U7U7U7U7UBb5MGja(NMdqUgl2woT60kJCY10m1gzRwHJgiGykeEOgybXIQ7U7U7U7U7U7UBgHhjbhWBSnJWJKGd4TmQHpQU7U7U7U7U7U7U9eCaMr4ASTkHJgiGyr1D3D3D3D3D3D3TGCZGan3cKdG4ascoOHCnYwTchnqaXui8qTmP5wGCaehqsWbnWcIfv3D3D3D3D3D3D3D3n3cKdG4ascoOX2iB1kC0abetHWdfv3D3D3D3D3D3D3iMAuD3D3D3D3D3D3DBDhI2Ar1D3D3D3D3D3iMAuD3D3D3D3iMAuD3D3DJyQr1D3iMAuD3DuD3nzixlWcVggHhMQtRmYXBvOO6U7U7whcgTEtWeGgBR1HilSfdmer1D3D3nzixtJfEnTFWRvHIQ7U7U7U7whcgTEJttJttJttJttJttRs4ObciMMgzRwHJgiGykeEinnbta8pnhGCAACAACAAUwKUU8Qn2wwyca(eoAFjycGMM2NO6U7U7U7UfKBUwKUU8QnntT5Ar66YR2yX2WHij4aU8QnWcIfv3D3D3D3D3Dli3embW)0CaY1yX2YPvNwzKtUMMP2iB1kC0abetHWd1aliwuD3D3D3D3D3D3DZi8ij4aEJTzeEKeCaVLrn8r1D3D3D3D3D3D3TNGdWmcxJTvjC0abelQU7U7U7U7U7U7UfKBgeO5wGCaehqsWbnKRr2Qv4ObciMcHhQLjn3cKdG4ascoObwqSO6U7U7U7U7U7U7U7U5wGCaehqsWbn2gzRwHJgiGykeEOO6U7U7U7U7U7U7gXuJQ7U7U7U7U7U7UBR7q0wlQU7U7U7U7U7gXuJQ7U7U7U7gXuJQ7U7UBetnQU7gXuJQ7UJQ7UTbFCWHij4aEJTLbIQ7U7UByqemqJTzeEKeCaxtuD3D3DRs4ObciwJT9eCaMr40ev3D3D3ClqoaIdASn3cKdG4ascoiQU72Vhv3Dhv3D7qachRzeEKeCaVXCA8IcXunsizhXaCJKSOK8kWHVSah(gjyeCaKNeGgM14gjYemyabeZxFIQ7UfKBgeOTbFCWHij4aEdSGyTdbiCSgVgXuJQ7UDiaHJ12Gpo4qKeCahdyqemquiMQbyKidXagj8DcA92F60WSMrYcsyNfGrjRGNrshIw1OWirWr4y0EiJ1nsoiDKrHrYJqhimkmadWirWr4yizh5mw3irWr44ArWm(ZiX1IGzuyK4cMD6iJsYSrYJqhimkmkjZg)zagGrcMonNBuyK4cMD6iJejztjzSrYJqhimkmsKKnLKXg)zagGrIGJWbO1rmGXFgGrImedijW8qgLG3kgjvbxRoTYsaAywJBKKHWmsoKDciMcL1ImscyqmJemiiDvi)IzSUrIwvvaeqmADCaNWo7qoUrHbyKSv2itMJagLWez2VzvmG3(gj)sOcSyuYk4zKuw2itMJagLWe4TVvXaE7BKeQgj4qKeCa3iXi8u4e2zhYXnkbVrsvW1QtRS8WGygj5zaKJmnmKSkpmigxwPTUqxaugNheZA4CigYVem78eCa3iXb0WSghtHemGrY)YuLuitHZamsCJe8y4hmSpgwXij7gLG3p4HNbyma
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]