Help on healing normal Tortos.

90 Undead Priest
I'm having some trouble on healing Tortos.

I can't cast spirit shell before the Stomp, because I'm having to move all the time to avoid turtles and rocks. Also, the raid is too far spread to use it with Prayer of Healing.

Should I use the glyph of binding heal on this fight?

This is my main problem... Should Holy be a better option for this fight? Or are any position I could stay to avoid move so much?

Any other tips are welcome.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Who all do you heal with?

I do this fight on my disc priest, and to use SS before stomp I try to time it just right so that I can get enough casts off of it out and still run around like a chicken with no head if I have to. I still have problems timing SS just right though :P So for me it's AA + SS + PI and then PoH or 2, move, PoH again, move if I have to etc and by time I get a few casts of stomp usually hits followed by halo or cascade. I also put a barrier down in hopes that people actually use it ;)

For our first attempts on this fight I also picked up halo instead of cascade to help with adds. I have found if I stand more off to the sides a little (but still close to heal people) I don't have to shift as much.

If you're more comfortable with holy, I'd go holy. Our other disc priest tried holy for our first attempts on this but we ended up both just preferring disc (but I think we got our first kill with him as holy). I haven't tried binding heal glyph on this so maybe someone else can comment on that :3

This fight is a big pain in the butt. I also practiced it a little in LFR since damage is far more forgiving.
Edited by Veroicone on 7/9/2013 8:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Stomp will never cause a wipe, since as long as everyone is >65% HP it wont kill them. Don't worry to much about getting a full Spirit shell on everyone. Just do the best you can, and focus on healing the 2 tanks. DPS really shouldn't be taking damage (and if they are, it's not really your job to carry them by healing through bad).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Stomp will never cause a wipe, since as long as everyone is >65% HP it wont kill them. Don't worry to much about getting a full Spirit shell on everyone. Just do the best you can, and focus on healing the 2 tanks. DPS really shouldn't be taking damage (and if they are, it's not really your job to carry them by healing through bad).

Stomp do not cause a wipe, that's true. But, sometimes a dps get a rock in the head after the stomp, and dies. If I could heal better or use ss better before the stomp, chances are that he could be saved.
Reply Quote
07/09/2013 08:30 PMPosted by Médic
Stomp do not cause a wipe, that's true. But, sometimes a dps get a rock in the head after the stomp,

That should never happen if your raid members have any level of awareness. Rocks take a few seconds to drop after a Stomp happens; they do not drop immediately. People should have more than enough time to move out of any rock circle falling on them, and should keep moving around until the ammount of falling rocks goes back to normal.

Spirit Shell and PW:Shield should do more than enough to buffer the raid for stomps. People should not spread all the way to China just to avoid damage; they should be able to remain spread enough without making PoH ineffective for SS covering.
Reply Quote
What I do is I stand in the middle of the room when Stomp is getting near and then right before he finishes the Stomp cast I use Halo. It generally hits everyone and gets a fair bit of health up while we are still stunned.

Make sure you're not in the middle before a Call though or else you will get trampled by the babies.

As others have said Rockfall is avoidable and it should be avoided as much as possible by all your raid members.

Obviously using Spirit Shell before the Stomp is ideal but it can be difficult if your DPS aren't getting adds down fast enough or if people are too spread out for Prayer of Healing to be effective. I usually get my raid lead to put me, the tanks, and any melee in one group so that when I need to SS / PoH I can get near them and ensure that I am able to blanket at least half the raid.
Edited by Amaravati on 7/9/2013 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Have everyone clump up at one spot at one side of the room shortly before a stomp. This way everyone is in range to stack Spirit Shell via Prayer of Healing, and then afterwards when the tons of Rockfall happen, they're all at the same spot (where the clump of everyone is), so the entire group moves to the other side and takes minimal damage afterwards, because everyone can easily be 20 yards from rock impact points.

Just have your point be far enough away from the turtle spawn point so they don't immediately slam into you during the Stomp, and as long as they're slowed you can easily dodge around them when moving across the room, and easy peasy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Obviously using Spirit Shell before the Stomp is idea but it can be difficult if your DPS aren't getting adds down fast enough or if people are too spread out for Prayer of Healing to be effective. I usually get my raid lead to put me, the tanks, and any melee in one group so that when I need to SS / PoH I can get near them and ensure that I am able to blanket at least half the raid.

That's an easy to implement and solid advice. Thanks.
Edited by Médic on 7/9/2013 10:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j1luaumal292kk0d/details/35/?enc=wipes&boss=67977

^^ the log if anyone wanted to see it.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s77nlf3q8tz00c5z/

^^ some of your wipes lasted 7 mins. Thats way too long.

might wanna 2 heal with the monk unless dps gets slightly better.

I will try to use atonement to increase dps and my healing as well. I'm kinda afraid to use on huge damage fights. I still need to learn better when to use it or not.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I can't speak much for a priest strategy.

But, something that works wonders, in 10man - harder to pull off in 25m, is organizing where the raid is for every quake stomp.

Example; Put a blue and green marker on each of Tortos' feet.
Tell the entire raid to be on blue side for the first stomp, move to green side after the stomp during rockfalls. Next stop, you go to blue. Rinse and repeat.

This allows predictable raid placement that is very beneficial to burst healing; Shrooms become an instant BoP on every single melee/MT. Swiftmend .1 second before quake stomp on range, and you're literally laughing as the entire raid is 100%health the second you are unstunned.

Ps, this does not mean every raid member stacks. This just means, if 'V' is tortos's foot, M=melee/MT, R= ranged dps. Healers should mix in with melee/ranged.

V - Tortos's foot
M

R

Move fromm side to side after every quake stomp as a group.
This has ranged and melee loosely stakced. Just about all ranged, melee and healers can be loosely stacked, save for the Rdps incharge of kicking, and ideally 1 healer to float. Probably you, so you can easily find a safer spot somewhere in between - to the side - for you to safely SS stack.
Edited by Tonydanza on 7/9/2013 11:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j1luaumal292kk0d/details/35/?enc=wipes&boss=67977

^^ the log if anyone wanted to see it.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/s77nlf3q8tz00c5z/

^^ some of your wipes lasted 7 mins. Thats way too long.

might wanna 2 heal with the monk unless dps gets slightly better.

I will try to use atonement to increase dps and my healing as well. I'm kinda afraid to use on huge damage fights. I still need to learn better when to use it or not.

You can atonement heal a good chunk of the fight, especially if help is needed on the turtles (which hopefully it isn't). I shield the tank on pull and continue to do so for rapture procs, then holy fire, penance and smite the boss so I have AA before stomps or for any high damage phases. As someone else said you can shield beforehand if you're worried about not getting many SS's up.

Remember you have other healers with you as well ;) That was my problem when I started raid healing again I'd go "ham" when I didn't need to and could have easily been dpsing instead. As you become more familiaro with the fights you'll figure it out :) Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
What really helped me the most learning this fight was remembering that you only have to be right outside the circles during rockfall rather than having to run far away. Especially after the stomp, the floor is going to be littered with them and if you *do* want to run away to take as minimal damage as possible, you're most likely going to be outside of healing range. Just eat up the 60k damage; it's really not a lot, especially with your Holy Paladin using EF on everyone and your druid keeping up HoTs, as well.

Glyphed Prayer of Mending and PW: Shield is what my Disc co-healer uses, and it has worked well for us.

Also, I would probably use the Power Infusion talent. SS is a 1 minute cooldown, PI is 2 minutes; you'll be able to get a super-buffed SS on everyone in the raid every 2 minutes -- and since the fight is usually 5-6 minutes long you should be able to do it 2-3 times.

And if your Druid+Paladin isn't already doing this, tell your Paladin to spec for Clemency and use HoP on the Druid every other Stomp that you can't use SS+PI for. With HoP on, the Druid will be able to use Tranquility once in the fight without worrying about having to move around. Then another HoP can be used just to help him run around keep Rejuvs on everyone. Then the Paladin can also use Divine Protection on himself along with another healing CD+Holy Avenger to either LoD-spam (not that best, but it's good to use if everyone is spread out too far with low health) or more EF blankets. In addition, pop a Devotion Aura right after the stomp if possible to help with the falling rocks to mitigate even more damage.

Just be sure to coordinate with your co-healers to make sure you are all spreading out your cooldowns for the rest of the fight. Once you hit that 20%, you're going to make sure you have maybe 1 or 2 tricks up your sleeves in case things get a bit messy. Personally, I make sure I have a Guardian of the Ancient Kings ready for when people decide to just start wailing on Tortos and that last stomp happens.
Reply Quote
79 Undead Mage
A parse for this fight. I'm the least geared out of my co healers, and don't normally run it with two shammies. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/sg2qwtbjtvrlbv7z/sum/healingDone/?s=5576&e=5883

Disc is in an insanely good position for this fight I think. Everything lines up perfectly with our CD's and any fight with a damage buff component is gagging for some atonement love.

My strategy is normally to bubble both tanks while raid moves into position. Start my atonement rotation for AA, as soon as I have my 5 stacks (typically about 15secs before stomp) I pop AA and SS the raid, bubbling everyone I have time for before stomp with priority on people who missed the SS. About half a second before stomp I will cascade so it's healing while the damage is going out and gets people up to full before they start dodging falling rocks.
For my group, this pretty much takes care of that mechanic.

A short time after the rockfall he'll be casting stone breath, and someone will be kicking a shell to interrupt him. Perfect time to pop Power Infusion for the 50% extra damage and put out some hurt.

The turtles that are coming out can be a pain and RNG can be a !@#$%, but if we have a hunter for the fight they're trapped to slow them down, the rest of the raid tries to keep them slowed.

That's about all I do for the fight. I can't think of any other tricky components. Just make sure your raid is interrupting stone breath, it's the only wipe mechanic in this fight.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
^ Me...

<- My priest.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Boss is down.

Thank you all.

Additional feedback (by reading the logs of World of Logs) is apreciatte.
Edited by Médic on 7/10/2013 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
how to heal this fight : Get 5 stacks of evangelism, use archangel and power word shield on everyone before stomps. Forget spirit shell.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
@Venomheart

Got any parses with your strategy? I would love to see them and decide if this is a viable strat at my gear level for when I convince the RL to two heal this fight.

SS is easily 20-30% of my healing on this fight, purely for how easily it lines up with stomp.

I'm trying to keep mastery/crit as even as possible so I doubt but PW:S will go as well as yours, but I'm certainly curious.

Obviously you've gone for an extremely high mastery build, not sure if that's for a certain heroic progress fight or for all fights across the board, but I'd love to see some logs either way.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]