Need Ret advice - want to solo Nax, etc.

90 Draenei Paladin
I'd like to solo some of the WotLK Raids for Transmog. I think I need Ret to do some of it - prot does not put out the DPS and I've been dying - especially if I go as far as Trial of the Crusader. I got to lv 90 and iLevel 462 by 100% Prot tanking - I have no idea how to Ret.

I think I understand the DPS rotation (Icy Veins) and gems and enchants (Icy Veins) but not how to stay alive as Ret when soloing old riads. So:

- Do I need food & flasks to solo Nax and stuff?
- Any tips on how to use bubbles and self heals to survive tought fights?
- Any general Ret suggestions?

Thanks.

PS: If I can do this with Prot and just need to play better I am all ears. I prefer Prot since it is so familiar.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
SS, glyphed TV, glyphed DP, maybe glyphed WoG, SoI, SW/HA; food/flasks/pots unnecessary - except maybe heal pots. T14 LFR gear should be sufficient to power through most fights with minimal cause for concern.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
SoI and selfless healer.

If you glyph divine storm you can pull the trash of an entire boss at once. Which you should actually do, and helps a ton, if you're trying to do it as prot. If you glyph focused shield so that you're only hitting the boss and just bring a ton of trash with you, you basically get to machine gun avengers shield and will have better vengeance.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
As ret, naxx 10 is simple and ToC 10 is also simple (but more damage, I had to pop LoH once or twice). Haven't tried Ulduar or ICC yet. It's naxx 25 I can't handle - specifically, Gluth.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Gluth on 25 is just a hard burn, you just have to burn through the zombie heals. If they go after you as prot you can use them to feed GC procs but I don't think there's really enough of them for it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
10 man is easy enough, I have soloed it several times this xpac.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
As ret, naxx 10 is simple and ToC 10 is also simple (but more damage, I had to pop LoH once or twice). Haven't tried Ulduar or ICC yet. It's naxx 25 I can't handle - specifically, Gluth.

Yeah, Gluth is still a pain. The only way I've been able to down him in 25-man is with a hunter helping me out. She kites the adds, and her pet taunts off of me so my Mortal Wound stacks drop off.

I imagine if you prepot and blow your cooldowns (assuming you're using either HA or SW) at once, you might be able to down him despite the healing he gets from the zombies, but I doubt it unless you're pretty well geared.

Anyway, more to the point of the thread, Naxx 10 is pretty easily soloed without the need to worry about picking specific talents, with the only exceptions possibly being Patchwerk and Gluth. Naxx 25 is a bit more of a challenge; like I said, I needed a hunter to give me a hand with Gluth, and I barely managed to beat Patchwerk's enrage as Prot.

I haven't tried to solo ToC, but I've done a fair bit of Ulduar on my own. Flame Leviathan is a cinch once you've destroyed the towers - simply stay as far back as possible, and when the fight starts, pelt him with pyrium. Iron Council is fairly simple as Prot, though you might end up getting killed by that debuff, usually once they're already dead.

Mimiron was the only boss I had a lot of trouble with due to our less than stellar ranged ability, but what worked for me was blowing AW and spamming the ever living crap out of HoW until the head was almost dead, then killing the base and torso with AoE before quickly finishing the head off.

XT was a little irritating, but I find that the easiest way to deal with him is to go with Clemency as your T4 talent so you get more use out of HoP. There's usually more than a minute between Tantrums, so Forbearance isn't an issue really, and I don't see the fight lasting fifteen minutes. (Two HoP CDs and DS.) You can also glyph DP; it won't outright negate the damage of Tantrum, but it'll make it a lot easier to heal through.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Ty all - so do you think I should try to gear up a bit (I have no gems or enchants), than use flasks/food, and try them as Prot? I'd rather not learn Ret to be honest - Prot is total muscle memory for me now.
Reply Quote
Gear does make a large difference, and fights where prot DPS isn't enough but ret DPS is are a relatively small category.
Reply Quote
Ty - I see Ret videos sometimes say "Boss damage is high but is very easy to heal through." For Ret I assume that means bubble and Word of Glory, right>
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Soloing Naxx 10 as ret is a joke. Haven't tried to do 25 yet but don't think it would be too hard.
Reply Quote
Ty - I see Ret videos sometimes say "Boss damage is high but is very easy to heal through." For Ret I assume that means bubble and Word of Glory, right>

Sacred Shield and Seal of Insight, mostly.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I solo'ed most bosses on normal 25m ICC and need 2 people on gunship & 1 dps at Valethria while healing her.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
I solo'ed most bosses on normal 25m ICC and need 2 people on gunship & 1 dps at Valethria while healing her.

Valithria, you mean?

(I really should change my name. >.<)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
Ive done this on my DK a bunch, but

1. Gunship 10 is easy to solo. Might have to drop it back to 10 to get past it.
2. I think the "trick" to Valethria is just spec holy and blast heal her up. I obviously can't do that on my DK :(, but I will give it shot on my pally soon.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Dks can solo 25m dreamwalker with blood worms
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]