Theory on Aus servers...

90 Undead Rogue
Just a theory... Do you think that the tunnel program makers/owners pay blizzard NOT to bring servers here? It is a possibility. Also think playing within a range of 130+ ms against seppo's is getting a bit old. why cant we have an oceanic only battlegroup? or pair our servers off with others running relatively the same average ms? just and idea....
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Tunnel programs don't do anything for me anymore, i get a nice consistent 230ms with or without a tunnel program from Perth.

Last time i used Lowerping was back in Wrath.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Ur in perth and u get 230? I freaking wish, Im in Perth and i get constant 310ms
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It doesn't help that game server traffic 'accidentally' get caught up in P2P traffic throttling on Australian networks :\

I get a fairly consistent 180ms on Cable from Adelaide and that's routed via Sydney - never changes.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Ur in perth and u get 230? I freaking wish, Im in Perth and i get constant 310ms

Yeah mate, with Telstra using ADSL2+ from Rockingham. I'd be so pissed if i was getting 310ms :(

Edit: Damn Aislinge you got cable net in Adelaide? Do you live in the city centre of something? I'm going to be dead by the time the NBN gets that rolled out in south Perth!
Edited by Sacredleaf on 7/11/2013 8:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I'm on a constant 230ms in perth with no tunnel.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
07/11/2013 08:19 AMPosted by Sacredleaf

Yeah mate, with Telstra using ADSL2+ from Rockingham. I'd be so pissed if i was getting 310ms :(

Edit: Damn Aislinge you got cable net in Adelaide? Do you live in the city centre of something? I'm going to be dead by the time the NBN gets that rolled out in south Perth!

Most of Adelaide is Cabled. The Cable network finishes at *around* Cross Road to the south of the City (about 5-7 kms) but most of the west, north and east got done (with some exceptions - Athelstone is poo, West Lakes is also poo).

Optus also rolled out to most of the metro area but it never got turned on except in the CBD.

Surprisingly enough, some CBD streets don't have Telstra HFC - Carrington Street is a bummer for internets :(

The problem isn't the lack of Cable here, it's just patchy. Like half a street may have been done before they went to lunch and never came back :P

NBN roll out here is excellent. Half the city is close to being completed. Annoyingly enough, the 1st phase of my exchange is stopping around the corner from me. I'd love to be able to give Telstra the flick. Even on NBN pricing, they are in no way competitive.

Edit - in case you've not seen the rollout map:

http://www.nbnco.com.au/when-do-i-get-it/rollout-map.html

Tip - after you've looked at your house, zoom out a bit and you'll start to see the 3yr time frame. Note though that the shading for the 3 year time frame a) isn't exact and b) doesn't follow exchange boundaries (so you might end up happening sooner if you're on the border of an area that's already commenced etc).

So, looking at Rockingham (which, tbh, was always a poo exchange - too many connections and never enough tech in place), *should* be kicking off within 12 months. So, given the times I've seen locally, it can be 6-12 months after that before you can connect, depending on what happens on the ground.
Edited by Aislinge on 7/12/2013 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I have fiber running outside my house in Launceston, Tas. Just waiting to upgrade to it. The pricing is a little off at the moment considering the download caps. I expect it'll come down rapidly once it is more readily available.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
07/11/2013 08:19 AMPosted by Sacredleaf

Same, Rockingham ADSL +2 constant 230 - 250ms.

Pretty keen for fibre optics... if it ever bloody comes
Reply Quote
People that keep complaining about Blizzard not doing this.

REMEMBER They actually DID try when the game was much younger to do this.

It was Telstra being the greedy bastards they are they were going to charge them 900% the costs of what they pay in America to host their servers. Meaning as a business it was in no way cost-effective to pay such a large amount of money to cater to Sub-5% of their gaming population.

It is not Blizzard being factitious, it is quite simply just business, and Telstra and their whorish money-grubbing is what ruined it for us.
Reply Quote
People that keep complaining about Blizzard not doing this.

REMEMBER They actually DID try when the game was much younger to do this.

It was Telstra being the greedy bastards they are they were going to charge them 900% the costs of what they pay in America to host their servers. Meaning as a business it was in no way cost-effective to pay such a large amount of money to cater to Sub-5% of their gaming population.

It is not Blizzard being factitious, it is quite simply just business, and Telstra and their whorish money-grubbing is what ruined it for us.

Yea it was the same with Warhammer Online and other MMOs that have had Australian Servers.. Telstra charges them an arm and a leg and after a few months they close them.
Reply Quote
13 Worgen Warlock

Yea it was the same with Warhammer Online and other MMOs that have had Australian Servers.. Telstra charges them an arm and a leg and after a few months they close them.

2 minutes of Googling would tell you that Warhammer servers were not on Telstra facilities and they are being shutdown. Same deal with The Old Republic.
Edited by Liance on 7/17/2013 11:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]